HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Plum Coulee has had a Canola Crushing Plant for years, I remember hauling canola there back in the early 80's. Don't know if it is still there.

MB grows quite a bit of Canola as well. Farmers around my brother's place grow a rotation of wheat-canola-soybeans/peas.
There is an edible bean plant in Plum Coulee.

There are big Canola crushing plants in St. Agathe, Harrowby,and Altona. Merit food just built a Canola protein processing plan in the Rm of Rosser on Brookside blvd

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Your political bias is showing on this thread.

It's pretty obvious to anyone that has minimal investigation skills that the incidents were almost certainly complete fabrications. That is why they were dismissed. There was no proof that they ever happened, and the maintenance crew discovered that it was impossible to slide a cell phone under the spot, as the clearance was not enough to fit any cell phone through. The onus is on you to prove that the incidents happened. If you read between the lines of the articles, the maintenance crew are implying that she is full of it.

"In Fontaine's case, the crack was so narrow under the door he does not believe the camera would have captured anything other than the bathroom ceiling.

"Nothing else," said Bruce. "We didn't call the police."

Let not forget her comparing the Youth For Christ outreach and recreation centre at Higgins and Main with being sent to residential schools:

www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/kevin_engstrom/2010/02/28/13061351.html

Or organizing the boycott of non-Native business Day.

caledoniawakeupcall.wordpress.com/2007/06/28/boycott-non-native-businesses-friday-manitoba-chiefs-urge/
You have provided no proof of what you are saying other than that you are saying it. The fact that something wasn't ultimately actually pursued doesn't mean nothing happened. The links you supplied lead to nothing. I can only presume you are deliberately trying to make yourself look like a fool. You should remove your post as you have presented absolutely no proof for your allegations that defame someone. Then you use some lame accusation of political bias that you know nothing about as pathetic attempt to deflect from your obvious inability to make your case.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Considering that Winnipeg is 60% of the province’s population while providing 66% of Manitoba’s GDP isn’t it justifiable that the province shouldn’t vilify by far its most important asset?

Like we can pretend that rural Manitoba should get equal say but there’s no actual objectivity to that claim. Quite frankly, without Winnipeg this province is nearly worthless.
So based on your response, Winnipeg should get the Lions share of funding according to GDP….
Ok then only those area’s of Winnipeg and their residents that create the wealth should get that money, going off your reasoning.
F#%* the west end, north end, cause we know they don’t contribute to the GDP.
Now I hope we can agree that’s NOT how it should be.

As for Rural Manitoba being worthless without Winnipeg….
Nicely put - @“&$ you!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
F#%* the west end, north end, cause we know they don’t contribute to the GDP.
Now I hope we can agree that’s NOT how it should be!
That’s quite racist but I guess thats expected of someone from the Bible Belt. Also, the North end and West End aren’t as bad as you believe they are. There are a lot of successful small businesses in those areas and keep more dollars in the local economy then those big box power centres at the edge of the city.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 3:49 AM

First off… sorry for the F You.
Not called for, but when you call me ( Rural) worthless….

Did you read where I said
Now I hope we can agree that’s not how it should be

I won’t respond to the racist jab. You don’t know me and what I’ve done to help
Newcomers to Our province.
You’ve shown yourself to be provincially minded… and trying to have a discussion with such a person is a quagmire I’d like to avoid.

Again sorry for the F You, wasn’t called for.
Have a great night.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Then you use some lame accusation of political bias that you know nothing about as pathetic attempt to deflect from your obvious inability to make your case.
Ando, you are the biggest NDP cheerleader on this forum. All one has to do is to go into your posting history for the past 3 months, taking shots at the current Provincial Government, and it's leaders almost every single day, but if a fellow forum member said something against your beloved NDP or it's MLA's, you deflect, and blindly defend them. BTW, it is only defamation if it were false. This blog details her illustrious history as a public figure. If any of it were defamation, it would have been removed years ago. Ando, I like you. You are entertaining. However, you need to buy a clue sometimes.

The province has been mismanaged for the past 15 years. Once Doer left, Selinger ran the Government like there was an unlimited budget, and spent like drunken sailors. Since 2016, we have a Government out of touch with the majority of people inside the Perimeter Highway.

Manitoba really needs a third option, excluding the NDP or PC.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Feb 20, 2022 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Ando, you are the biggest NDP cheerleader on this forum. All one has to do is to go into your posting history for the past 3 months, taking shots at the current Provincial Government, and it's leaders almost every single day, but if a fellow forum member said something against your beloved NDP or it's MLA's, you deflect, and blindly defend them. BTW, it is only defamation if it were false. This blog details her illustrious history as a public figure. If any of it were defamation, it would have been removed years ago. Ando, I like you. You are entertaining. However, you need to buy a clue sometimes.

The province has been mismanaged for the past 15 years. Once Doer left, Selinger ran the Government like there was an unlimited budget, and spent like drunken sailors. Since 2016, we have a Government out of touch with the majority of people inside the Perimeter Highway.

That link made me look at the Black Rod for the first time in about 5 years, and holy crap has that writer gone off the deep end. Might as well write speeches for Trump, uses all the talking points, everything is right or left. Used to actually provide some decent coverage of local issues.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
That link made me look at the Black Rod for the first time in about 5 years, and holy crap has that writer gone off the deep end. Might as well write speeches for Trump, uses all the talking points, everything is right or left. Used to actually provide some decent coverage of local issues.
Yes, I remember when the Black Rod was somewhat to the right of centre, but nevertheless entertaining and informative. The author has taken a turn to the far right in recent years it seems. It's a shame really.

However, he did hold the previous government accountable, especially in regards to Bipole III, the CMHR, and the financing of the new stadium.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 10:16 PM
jammon member

Quote:

Yep. Totally agree. We haven't had a solid government since either of the Garys. I didn't always agree with their policies; i.e. Filmon Fridays, but both of them had strong reputations and worked within the fiscal resources of the province at the time.

We definitely could benefit from a Liberal perspective in this province, but we haven't had a solid provincial Liberal presence since Carstairs. And even if I were leader of the Libs in this province, I'm not sure I would want affiliation with Trudeau. Damned either way.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 2:46 PM

The hate for Trudeau is laughable. A phony meme hatred made up by the Conservatives on Facebook because they have nothing else to beat him with.

Sure I don't agree with some of his policies. But holy shit most of the people don't even know why they hate him. Just #Trudeaumustgo.

At some point after the next election, after the Liberals win again, Trudeau will resign as party leader and Freeland will win the parties nomination. Then what will the Conservatives have to bitch about? How she was part of the Trudeau era and must go? Lol

I don't see how the Conservatives can do any better than they did last election. After the convoy investigations are over with, they'll look like an even bigger pile of dog shit. Their base is in Western, mostly rural, Canada. I could see them losing seats in the urban ridings. Liberals really have nothing to lose in the west because they lost it last election.

Provincial Liberals are in the shitter because they have no vision. They need a leader with a recognizable name.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The hate for Trudeau is laughable. A phony meme hatred made up by the Conservatives on Facebook because they have nothing else to beat him with.
Yeah the loathing seems purely personal. Out west you still hear "I remember what his old man did..." at the start of many anti-Justin rants. He's the "great Satan" as far as some are concerned and no amount of discussion will change that. Personally I am disappointed with his performance on a number of issues as well, but don't hate the guy.

Personally I'd like to see some kind of viable alternative to the Federal Liberals, but so far the Conservatives have only retreated further back into their constantly-outraged Trumpoid base. I saw yesterday that Jean Charest and Peter Mackay might be testing the leadership waters again, but I think that would only split the Conservatives further between centre-right (i.e. "electable") and far-right (i.e. "whack-jobs").

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:13 PM

The Conservatives booted their leader smack dab during an attempt to basically overthrow the current Government. If that doesn't trigger huge red flashing alarm bells for you, well shit. The whack jobs wanted the Liberals to resign en masse and then sit with the opposition party in government.

I don't care what you party allegiance is or what your opinions are on specific people. That is bad, bad news and the Conservatives are all for it. When you can't beat em, cheat. That's what the Republicans do. Conservatives are trying to go full MAGA. But they're weak and I don't see it working.

Back to the Provincial level. It almost seems like a coordinated effort to make the Feds (Trudeau) look bad and again it didn't really work.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 6:23 PM

Wrong thread.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:

Sure I don't agree with some of his policies. But holy shit most of the people don't even know why they hate him. Just #Trudeaumustgo.

At some point after the next election, after the Liberals win again, Trudeau will resign as party leader and Freeland will win the parties nomination. Then what will the Conservatives have to bitch about? How she was part of the Trudeau era and must go? Lol

I don't see how the Conservatives can do any better than they did last election. After the convoy investigations are over with, they'll look like an even bigger pile of dog shit. Their base is in Western, mostly rural, Canada. I could see them losing seats in the urban ridings. Liberals really have nothing to lose in the west because they lost it last election.

Provincial Liberals are in the shitter because they have no vision. They need a leader with a recognizable name.
It actually is disturbing how the US media has vilified Trudeau. I ahve never seen a Canadian PM vilified on any major American news source before. There are even calls by some FOX correspondents to "invade" Canada, to "prevent Trudeau totalitarian/communist" state, which is blatantly ridiculous.

The fact that the alt-right, FOX, and the GOP are more concerned about Trudeau (some comparing him to Hitler), than the Russians invading the Ukraine, just proves that whether one dislikes the media now, the alternative is 1,000 times worse.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 5:12 PM

Quote:

You're on a thread that is to discuss Manitoba politics, and you're complaining about people talking about Manitoba politics? I'm afraid you have it completely wrong. I care about the city of Winnipeg and I merely pointed out that the current government has not been good for the city of Winnipeg and have cogent arguments for why I believe that. If there were an NDP government doing the same, I would be making the same comments. It's funny that every time someone posts a criticism of the current government, you rush on to make unfounded unsupported accusations about public figures. Then you claim to be some sort of apolitical saint. It isn't the same as when you post on the the Winnipeg Sun comments section or the Black Rod. People here are actually intelligent and can see through your utter nonsense. I think you should keep it to making some intelligent commentary and stay clear of the conspiracy theories.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Yep. Totally agree. We haven't had a solid government since either of the Garys. I didn't always agree with their policies; i.e. Filmon Fridays, but both of them had strong reputations and worked within the fiscal resources of the province at the time.

We definitely could benefit from a Liberal perspective in this province, but we haven't had a solid provincial Liberal presence since Carstairs. And even if I were leader of the Libs in this province, I'm not sure I would want affiliation with Trudeau. Damned either way.
I don't think you really understand Manitoba politics, or Canadian politics in general. Under a first past the post system, there are generally two parties who dominate in most jurisdictions. There is usually a centre-right and a centre-left party. In Manitoba, it happens to be the NDP and the Conservatives. In BC, it's the NDP and the Liberals, and the Liberals are the centre-right party. And so on. If a Liberal party came to the fore, it would merely replace the other centre-left party and the spectrum would remain the same.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 5:25 PM

Quote:

The only way to mix up the Liberal-Conservative domination would be to switch to a system of proportional representation, probably a mixed system of first past the post seats topped up according to the proportional vote. Re the Conservatives, they are kind of heading to US republican territory in terms of who they are appealing to. In the US, they have enough support to make that somewhat of a viable proposition. In Canada, it makes the conservatives very difficult to elect. Erin O'Toole knew that and that's why he tried to move to the middle. Just getting a "name" candidate won't make a difference to the Liberals in Manitoba. Right now, they are up against the political history of the province

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 6:14 PM

Quote:
The only way to mix up the Liberal-Conservative domination would be to switch to a system of proportional representation, probably a mixed system of first past the post seats topped up according to the proportional vote.
Past the post systems have their advantages and disadvantages. As for the notion of a Liberal/Conservative two party system perpetual domination, this is factually incorrect. The old Conservative party was reduced to 2 seats in 1993, and never recovered. In 2011, the NDP was the official opposition party by a substantial margin.

For a significant percentage of my lifetime, a two party system domination was non-existent.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 6:21 PM

Quote:
The only way to mix up the Liberal-Conservative domination would be to switch to a system of proportional representation, probably a mixed system of first past the post seats topped up according to the proportional vote.
Past the post systems have their advantages and disadvantages. As for the notion that a Liberal/Conservative two party system (federally) domination, this is factually incorrect. The old Conservative party was reduced to 2 seats in 1993, and never recovered. In 2011, the NDP was the official opposition party by a substantial margin.

For a significant percentage of my lifetime, a two party system domination was non-existent.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Feb 24, 2022 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 6:41 PM

If you examine the history of political elections at the federal level, you will find that we have had effectively a two party system, indeed in your lifetime. Governing has either been done by the Liberals (dominant) or Conservatives, with of course minority governments thrown in. Showing that a few times the official opposition has been different does not dispute that fact. This of course does not mean that other parties do not exist. We have multiple parties but only two have shown enough support to actually govern outright. Hence, power has been two party domination.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan