HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 6:34 PM

Wow, that building looks terrific. Downtown Salt Lake really needs a rec center like this.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 7:45 PM

I think it would be cool if there was a facility similar to the Solomon Center in Ogden located downtown. If you've never been up there before it's a pretty incredible facility.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 5:06 AM

I do think that this project has more going for it than the PG project did; more support from the city council, not just a single developer, closer to the airport, Maverik Center, restaurants, etc. nearby. I also like that they're trying to build a city center for WVC. You're right, things could still go awry, and I want to see a rendering for this, but hopefully they've done everything right for this to work.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 3:32 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I do think that this project has more going for it than the PG project did; more support from the city council, not just a single developer, closer to the airport, Maverik Center, restaurants, etc. nearby. I also like that they're trying to build a city center for WVC. You're right, things could still go awry, and I want to see a rendering for this, but hopefully they've done everything right for this to work.

Me too. Don't get me wrong, I love this idea. It only makes sense that West Valley being Utah's 2nd biggest city and all really should have it's own downtown or city center. Until now the city was only really known for having strip malls, office parks and a rundown mall. Things are changing for the better for WVC. I wish when this story broke yesterday there would of been a rendering or two. Oh well. I do have my fingers cross for this to take off. Since I drive by that area each day on I-215 I've seen just how much the Mall and area has improved during these last few years.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 1:27 AM

The reason I put a little more faith in this proposal vs the PG one, is that the PG proposal was a bit preemptive, while this development is overdue.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 10:57 AM

I agree Scott. I think the PG project will still happen, but down the road a bit. We need another economic/growth boom for Utah Valley before Pleasant Grove's aspirations materialize. This development in West Valley is overdue, much as the convention center in Provo was. There is enough economic/demographic pressure already in place to sell this as a needed investment.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 11:05 AM

This new Scheels is going to be a much bigger deal than I had originally understood. Sounds very cool.

Sandy reels in sporting goods giant Scheels

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51...ksen.html.csp#

It will be big — 220,000 square feet. And it will be like no other retail outlet in Utah, complete with a 65-foot-tall Ferris wheel and a 16,000-gallon salt-water aquarium.

Scheels, the sporting goods and apparel giant, is coming to Sandy at a new development to be called One Fourteen, at 11400 South between Interstate 15 and State Street.

The official groundbreaking is scheduled for April 6. It is expected to open in the fall of 2012.

“Scheels will be a beautiful addition and will provide a new retail and entertainment opportunity for the residents of Sandy and Salt Lake County as well as provide more than 400 new jobs to our local economy,” ...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 11:39 AM

Bonanza Park developer: project won't siphon away business from Main Street

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_17646561

...The developer recently filed papers at City Hall to build more than 900,000 square feet of residential properties, commercial space and institutional buildings like medical offices in the Bonanza Park district.

It would be the most ambitious redo of an already built district in Park City's history, and Main Street oftentimes sees new projects as competition.

The developer, though, does not envision his project at Bonanza Park siphoning business away from Main Street. Instead, Mark J. Fischer, who does not have holdings on Main Street, sees a redone Bonanza Park district as providing a boost for the businesses on Main Street...

Last edited by delts145; Apr 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 5:51 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I have to applaud WVC, they seem to be doing the "lets create a downtown" in the logical small steps approach.

We have our City Hall here, across the street is a crap hole mall, and about a mile away is the entertainment/hospitality core of the city. How to connect these areas and create some growth?

Let's encourage the mall to remodel, add out buildings and do an overall upgrade (not sure to what extent the city helped if any) We are getting a traxx extension, lets bring it past our entertainment core and end it right on our front door (City Hall). The connections are in place. Now they are building a piece at a time to increase density in the area, a highend, full service hotel, near City Hall, close to transportation. Eight stories tall, is this a skyscraper? No, but is it a major increase in height for WVC? Yes. I fully expect to see a mid-rise (5-8 story) office building in the WVC core in the next 5-10 years. It's organic growth as there is a demand. Sandy should takes some notes.

Sandy already has the mid-rise office in their downtown, but how does their "downtown" connect via transit? Sandy, come up with a solution for connecting your transit options, of which you'll have both Traxx and FrontRunner and entice a hotel chain or business of some sort to come in and built the next tall building in Sandy, maybe 10-15 stories.

In my opinion, MAJOR developments like the formerly proposed Proscenium, or redevelopments can be successful when the organic growth of a city demands it, as in City Creek Center, and that development or redevelopment is just a small part of the overall city core. However in the case of Sandy to create the city through one development seems very out of reach. WVC is doing it in small pieces, and will eventually grow with more buildings and more height.

In regards to proscenium, IMO that project would have had a much better chance for success if it was proposed in downtown SLC. While it was a huge project it would have just been a piece of the greater downtown SLC rather than the entire downtown Sandy.

I haven't posted in days, sorry if that entire thing was just a huge ramble.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 6:46 PM

I liked that ramble, Future Mayor. It is nice to see a city trying to do things the right way. One barrier to building something from the TRAX Plaza/Hotel and connecting it to City Hall and Valley Fair Mall is that Toys R Us/Staples/Strip Mall there...I'm sure Toys R Us and Staples bring quite a bit of revenue so they shouldn't be eliminated, but if there were a remodeling plan that moved them and opened up that central corridor, it'd be a good thing. Otherwise you have a big barrier to that corridor--it doesn't make much sense to leave it as is. Has anyone heard anything about remodeling or removing those buildings?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 9:20 AM

I'm excited about the Chinatown coming to South Salt Lake. I live right in that area and can walk to it in 10 minutes. Even though it looks like it's going to just be a specialized strip mall, it will bring some culture and distinctiveness to the area and get rid of that eyesore that is the former Rocky Point Haunted House that is now just a parking lot with weeds growing out of the cracks, some leering light poles, and a huge boarded up building.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 12:35 PM

Murray certainly seems to be smart about it's future. If anyone gets a chance give us some update pics on the ongoing phase 2 of Fashion Place.

Murray mayor: Sound planning equals bright future

Growth » The central Salt Lake Valley city is increasing density and expanding up, not out.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51...ture.html.csp#

Murray • As city leaders look to the future, they see growth that avoids urban sprawl in this suburban city. The expansion will be up — as in taller buildings downtown.

In addition, development will take place in established areas that have infrastructure already in place, Mayor Dan Snarr said at Murray’s third annual economic development symposium last week...

...Also speaking at the symposium was Brooke Whitebread, marketing manager for Fashion Place Mall, who said the shopping center is in the second phase of an expansion.

In the first phase, in 2009, the shopping center’s interior was remodeled and Nord­strom moved to the north side after its old building there was demolished. The current phase has been adding 98,000 square feet of retail shops, including Crate & Barrel, Corner Bakery, California Pizza Kitchen, Coldwater Creek and Utah’s first Sephora store.

“As a community partner, all of us at Fashion Place are excited about the expansion,” Whitebread said.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 6:30 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Murray certainly seems to be smart about it's future. If anyone gets a chance give us some update pics on the ongoing phase 2 of Fashion Place.

Murray mayor: Sound planning equals bright future

Growth » The central Salt Lake Valley city is increasing density and expanding up, not out.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51...ture.html.csp#

Murray • As city leaders look to the future, they see growth that avoids urban sprawl in this suburban city. The expansion will be up — as in taller buildings downtown.

In addition, development will take place in established areas that have infrastructure already in place, Mayor Dan Snarr said at Murray’s third annual economic development symposium last week...

...Also speaking at the symposium was Brooke Whitebread, marketing manager for Fashion Place Mall, who said the shopping center is in the second phase of an expansion.

In the first phase, in 2009, the shopping center’s interior was remodeled and Nord­strom moved to the north side after its old building there was demolished. The current phase has been adding 98,000 square feet of retail shops, including Crate & Barrel, Corner Bakery, California Pizza Kitchen, Coldwater Creek and Utah’s first Sephora store.

“As a community partner, all of us at Fashion Place are excited about the expansion,” Whitebread said.

Do they even have any developers or development lined up or is this just more talk? I want to hear less of what city leaders WISH for their city to become and more of DETAILS of what/where and even when these buildings will go up.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 8:16 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

Do they even have any developers or development lined up or is this just more talk? I want to hear less of what city leaders WISH for their city to become and more of DETAILS of what/where and even when these buildings will go up.
I agree with the fact that I would like to hear about more actual developments and plans. However I am glad to hear that the city and its leaders know what they want. If they don't vocalize it, put it in a general plan and have a clear goal, then development will be haphazard and will not mesh. Good for Murray for developing a precise vision of growing up, not out. Now that developers know what Murray wants they will know exactly what to pursue when they do develop. City leaders can't simply wait around for developers to come to them, then decide what they want to do. Have a plan, have a vision, then that vision will take shape.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 6:23 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I agree with the fact that I would like to hear about more actual developments and plans. However I am glad to hear that the city and its leaders know what they want. If they don't vocalize it, put it in a general plan and have a clear goal, then development will be haphazard and will not mesh. Good for Murray for developing a precise vision of growing up, not out. Now that developers know what Murray wants they will know exactly what to pursue when they do develop. City leaders can't simply wait around for developers to come to them, then decide what they want to do. Have a plan, have a vision, then that vision will take shape.

All good points. I really do like what the city of Murray is doing and the goals they want to reach.

Speaking of Murray and taller buildings does anybody know anything about those three office towers that were planned for Murray. ( I guess these buildings would of gone near the IHC ) I forgot the name of these buildings, but all I can remember is that one was planned to be 18-stories, 15-stories and then 12-stories.....all office buildings. I'm sure maybe this is dead, but then maybe not.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:19 PM
Longing ex-pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

All good points. I really do like what the city of Murray is doing and the goals they want to reach.

Speaking of Murray and taller buildings does anybody know anything about those three office towers that were planned for Murray. ( I guess these buildings would of gone near the IHC ) I forgot the name of these buildings, but all I can remember is that one was planned to be 18-stories, 15-stories and then 12-stories.....all office buildings. I'm sure maybe this is dead, but then maybe not.
About those three buildings... I think thats my fault. I might have drawn a quick conceptual site plan for a property owner adjacent to IMC that was seeking a zone change. Said site plan might have had 3 ridiculously tall buildings called Cache Towers. Amazing the life that silly little ideas can take on.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 1:10 PM

Park City - Main Street makeover, unveiled this week, could be dramatic

New York Times: Park City's Main Street is strikingly picturesque under a confectioner's sifting of Utah's famously light snow, with brightly painted 19th-century storefronts lining the four-block historic district.

The Park Record
By Jay Hamburger

Main Street leaders on Monday unveiled blueprints for a dramatic makeover of the popular shopping, dining and entertainment strip, one that would involve ambitious brick-and-mortar projects stretching from the top to the bottom of the street.

The Historic Park City Alliance, a business group representing the Main Street district, made public a series of concepts that are under consideration during an open house held at the Alpine Internet Cafe inside the Kimball Art Center. The ideas, ranging from the construction of an ice-skating rink to making improvements to the sidewalks, would perhaps be the most dramatic change since the development of lower Main Street in the 1990s.

The business group has targeted three locations on Main Street for improvements, one at the top, one toward the midpoint and the other at the bottom of the street. They are:

The Brew Pub parking lot at the top of Main Street. The idea is to build an ice-skating rink at the site. The concept also calls for a giant television screen to be placed at the location.

Miners Plaza, the small piece of land toward the midpoint of Main Street where restrooms, a seating area and the bronze miner statue are situated. The concept outlined on Monday calls for the plaza to be redesigned.

A site just next to the Main Street trolley turnaround at the bottom of Main Street. The concept envisions removing the turnaround in favor of building a park.
"I hope it makes them come to Main Street and hang out. We hope it gives them a compelling reason to come back to the street," said Andy Beerman, the president of the Historic Park City Alliance.
He acknowledged that the improvements, if they are agreed to by Park City leaders, could take up to a decade to complete, with some of the first projects not planned for another three years.

According to estimates prepared for the Historic Park City Alliance, the work at the three locations could cost between $4.5 million and $5 million. Another $1.2 million is desired for sidewalk upgrades while an additional $450,000 could be used to build a series of so-called sidewalk bulb-outs, small extensions into the roadway.

Beerman said Main Street leaders will seek funding from City Hall for most of the work. Main Street had been crafting the ideas for some time, and there had been hints in recent weeks that concepts would emerge prior to City Hall starting its budget talks later in the spring. It was not clear, though, until this week how broad the ideas would be. Main Street leaders are expected to approach City Hall with funding requests during the budget talks.

Main Street has spent the last ten-plus years trying to fend off increased competition, particularly from developments at or near Kimball Junction like Redstone and Newpark. But there is still concern that the street could lose business to the competitors without improvements like the ones the Historic Park City Alliance has outlined.

The Monday open house drew a crowd of at least 40, including people with Main Street businesses, people who live in nearby Old Town and members of the Park City Council. Several City Hall staffers also attended.

The people chatted with Main Street leaders and perused a series of renderings illustrating what the improvements might look like. The rendering of the ice-skating rink showed the Olympic rings emblazoned on the rink's surface, a way to mark the legacy of the 2002 Winter Olympics, when approximately half of the competitions were staged in or near Park City.

"Any improvement, it's good. No matter what they do," said Emerson Oliveira, the owner of The Bridge Cafe & Grill, situated on the Town Lift Plaza.

He was unsure, though, whether each of the ideas would prove to be a draw for people in both the winter and the summer. If an ice-skating rink is built, Oliveira said, he would like the location used for something else in the summer to attract people.

"We're losing a lot, compared to Newpark area, Redstone. It's a new area," he said. "We do need attention and new improvements and new things on Main Street."

Rick Anderson, the owner of The Eating Establishment restaurant since 1988, said the idea to build an ice-skating rink could make Main Street more popular with families. Parents could leave their kids to ice skate while they go shopping before the family gets back together for dinner on Main Street, Anderson said. The location of the ice rink could be used for events like concerts and film screenings in the summer, he said.

"To maintain the economic health of Main Street is essential to the economic health of the city," Anderson said.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 6:26 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Ok it won't let me view these plan towers one by one, but on the overall list of Murray highrises it shows 3-planned under highrises.

http://www.emporis.com/application/?...d=106795&lng=3

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 11:47 AM

I would imagine the plans are not dead. Just like most development planning, especially in a choice area like that, it's just waiting for the moment for the dollar figures to trend in the right direction.

I've been wanting to hear Ark's opinion on Murray projects lately, and how Fireclay's current prospects are doing at this juncture in the economic recovery.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I've been wanting to hear Ark's opinion on Murray projects lately, and how Fireclay's current prospects are doing at this juncture in the economic recovery.
I've actually not worked for Hamlet for some time now, things are not going well for them, especially at Fireclay in Murray, where they are pulling out. If you want to buy some land or developed plans for an office building its your lucky day:

http://www.hamlethomes.com/communiti...le.aspx?cid=18

It's good too see that the city leaders are pushing for growth, but there really just doesn't seem to be a market for it at all right now. If anything goes in there in the near future, I'd imagine it would have to be apartments.

I recall several contentious meetings with Tim Tingey when I was with Hamlet and we were trying to make changes to the project so that it would be more marketable and economic to build, but he was pretty staunchly opposed. I suppose on one hand you could commend him for sticking to his guns and pushing to build everything according to the original vision for the area. At the same time though, instead of Live/Work townhomes that the developer wanted to build, but the city wouldn't allow, the property is now in distress and it will likely be years before anything but a dirt field exists there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West