HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 10:15 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Heard anything new about the other big project Harris Hills?
nope, since it was leaked out a few months ago everything is dead quite.
Work continues at a steady pace on the roads and stuff at the site.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
This will probably create tremendous development between Decatur/Athens/Huntsville. I-565 is already seeing residential growth
especially around Greenbrier, and now with the proposed extension of the interstate to Decatur there will be great potential. I would bet that this is at
least a 2-3 year development construction project, Monday will be the day we find out.

Decatur officials on Monday will announce a "billion dollar mixed use development," rumored to be anchored by the wildly popular Bass Pro Shops.
The Decatur-Morgan County Convention and Visitors Bureau sent out a news release today announcing news conference Monday at the Decatur-Morgan County Chamber of Commerce.

Published reports quoting sources close to the deal have said the development would be in south Limestone County in the Decatur city limits and would be anchored by Bass Pro Shops. Bass Pro Shops are massive outdoors specialty stores, much coveted by economic developers because they draw customers from hundreds of miles.

Mayor Don Kyle and other local officials have declined to comment on what the announcement will be, citing confidentiality agreements
I'll believe it when I see it built. Plenty of projects like this have been announced for Greenville and none of them have been built thanks to the economy.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 12:43 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man435 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it built. Plenty of projects like this have been announced for Greenville and none of them have been built thanks to the economy.
Yeah, Bass Pro really has communities over the barrel, two other announced
stores in Alabama (Leeds and Spanish Fort) have been 5 years in the making
with only the Prattville store built at the moment. But I think this one might
actually happen fairly quickly. I'm really surprised Cabela's hasn't tried to enter the state, (maybe they have or will),. Meanwhile Huntsville has it's Gander Mountain which doesn't have the bells and whistles or the tremendous
incentives Bass Pro demands.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Bass Pro really has communities over the barrel, two other announced
stores in Alabama (Leeds and Spanish Fort) have been 5 years in the making
with only the Prattville store built at the moment. But I think this one might
actually happen fairly quickly. I'm really surprised Cabela's hasn't tried to enter the state, (maybe they have or will),. Meanwhile Huntsville has it's Gander Mountain which doesn't have the bells and whistles or the tremendous
incentives Bass Pro demands.
Same thing is happening here. A large mixed-use project proposed for the Greenville/Spartanburg County line that was to include a Bass Pro Shops and be announced in summer of 2007 still hasn't been announced to this day. The developers say it's still in the works though. Not sure whether to believe them or not. However, there is a $1.5 billion mixed-use development here moving forward and is in fact already under construction. I guess it depends on who the developer is and how badly they want their project to get built. It will be interesting to see what this project for Decatur encompasses and who the developer is. What exactly was the Harris Hills project?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 2:48 AM
That Golfer Guy

This area has long been overdue for a Bass Pro Shop with the favorable climate, abundance of lakes in the region and the Tennessee river making for fishing year round. Never understood why it's taken this long for the company to take notice that this area is a gold mine of potential.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 10:21 AM

It's always been overlooked. North Alabama is one of the most beautiful regions of the country with some form of civilization. I think more people are starting to take notice though, especially Atlantans...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 3:10 PM

Quote:
This will probably create tremendous development between Decatur/Athens/Huntsville. I-565 is already seeing residential growth
especially around Greenbrier, and now with the proposed extension of the interstate to Decatur there will be great potential. I would bet that this is at
least a 2-3 year development construction project, Monday will be the day we find out.

Decatur officials on Monday will announce a "billion dollar mixed use development," rumored to be anchored by the wildly popular Bass Pro Shops.
The Decatur-Morgan County Convention and Visitors Bureau sent out a news release today announcing news conference Monday at the Decatur-Morgan County Chamber of Commerce.

Published reports quoting sources close to the deal have said the development would be in south Limestone County in the Decatur city limits and would be anchored by Bass Pro Shops. Bass Pro Shops are massive outdoors specialty stores, much coveted by economic developers because they draw customers from hundreds of miles.

Mayor Don Kyle and other local officials have declined to comment on what the announcement will be, citing confidentiality agreements
Billion dollar development!!!? Is this some type of outlet mall or something? And will it be at the 65/565 interchange? I hope it is an outlet mall Alabama needs a great one. Boaz is way to far isolated from the interstate to get any travelers coming through it. The one in Bessmer is pretty pathetic and on 59 which has far less traffic than 65. And I've never been to foley but it isn't directly off the interstate either is it? Regardless if a Bro Pass store is built, I think whatever this development is will be great for Decatur & Huntsville, I wish the two cities would work together more though to make our region stronger.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Billion dollar development!!!? Is this some type of outlet mall or something? And will it be at the 65/565 interchange? I hope it is an outlet mall Alabama needs a great one. Boaz is way to far isolated from the interstate to get any travelers coming through it. The one in Bessmer is pretty pathetic and on 59 which has far less traffic than 65. And I've never been to foley but it isn't directly off the interstate either is it? Regardless if a Bro Pass store is built, I think whatever this development is will be great for Decatur & Huntsville, I wish the two cities would work together more though to make our region stronger.
The one in Foley is close to I-10, and it's also on the main road to Gulf Shores.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
The one in Foley is close to I-10, and it's also on the main road to Gulf Shores.
The state road or Tim James's road?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 4:21 PM

Quote:
This area has long been overdue for a Bass Pro Shop with the favorable climate, abundance of lakes in the region and the Tennessee river making for fishing year round. Never understood why it's taken this long for the company to take notice that this area is a gold mine of potential.
The area is indeed well-suited, and that I-65/I-565 area is incredibly overdue for major investment.

Quote:
Bass Pro really has communities over the barrel, two other announced stores in Alabama (Leeds and Spanish Fort) have been 5 years in the making with only the Prattville store built at the moment. But I think this one might actually happen fairly quickly. I'm really surprised Cabela's hasn't tried to enter the state,
I am a little cautious about Bass Pro Shops, in general, because of the enormous amount of incentives most towns have had to provide to land the retailer. Spanish Fort and Leeds each reportedly put out 8-figure incentives (anyone know about Prattville ? ). The justification for the incentives was that the stores typically draw from a 200 or 300 mile radius, and that was probably accurate when they had fewer stores, but will it continue to be such a big draw when you have 4 stores in Alabama alone (plus existing stores in every neighboring state) ?

I know the one in Spanish Fort is coming right along, and should open toward the end of the year. Has the one in Leeds begun construction ?

Cabela's, like Bass Pro, sometimes gets huge incentive packages for their store locations. I think the one near my brother in TX actually had to refund a bit of their incentive package, because they didn't provide as many jobs as projected. It is enormous, though.

Quote:
The state road or Tim James's road?
The Foley outlet mall is along state highway 59, and has been remodeling the last few months.
The James' road is "Foley Beach Express."

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 5:47 PM

Argh!

Nothing should surprise me anymore, but Lee Roop has managed to do just that. He was busted on Hwy. 72 for driving under the influence of drugs. The cops found a baggie of coke in plain view in his car! I feel sorry for him. I've enjoyed his writing for the Times over the years. This is just shocking.

Rode around Decatur yesterday. What potential that city has and it is beginning to live up to some of it. Bank Street continues to draw more business. Lighthouse Landing is in the works, and a new row building is going up on the waterfront. There are new sidewalks and landscaping on the causeway as well.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 1:37 PM
America's Mars Rocket

This should be fun to watch

By STEVE DOYLE
Times Staff Writer, steve.doyle@htimes.com
Huntsville Hospital is getting ready to hoist its massive new pedestrian bridge into place above Governors Drive.

The busy road will be closed to traffic for about 30 hours between Gallatin and Madison streets while the 55-ton steel span is attached, said Rudy Hornsby, the hospital's senior vice president of support services.

The work is scheduled to start at 10 p.m. March 29, a Saturday, and should wrap up before most people leave for work Monday morning, Hornsby said. Along with securing the walkway between Huntsville Hospital and its Dowdle Center education building, contractors hope to pour the bridge's concrete floor.

Doing the concrete while Governors is already shut down for the bridge installation means one less road closing later, Hornsby said. Governors also will have to be closed when workers hang the walkway's glass walls and dismantle the old bridge.

"It's a pretty elaborate project," Hornsby said. "This won't be the only closing, but we're trying to have as few as possible."

Huntsville Hospital is replacing the current pedestrian bridge because a support column is in the way of the road expansion. The bridge, built in 1985, is also too low in places for large trucks once Governors is widened.

Governors is being expanded from five to seven lanes through the medical district, from Memorial Parkway to California Street. An awkward jog in the road near the pedestrian bridge is also being straightened.

The bridge is used daily by hundreds of people going from Huntsville Hospital to either the Dowdle Center or HealthSouth's rehabilitation hospital next door.

Hornsby said the not-for-profit hospital expects to spend about $3.8 million on the project. The new span will be slightly higher - 18 feet, 6 inches at its lowest point - with a wider concourse. A second elevated walkway to be installed will link the hospital to a large medical office building under construction at Governors and Gallatin.

Construction workers are putting the finishing touches on the new bridge's 200-foot-long steel skeleton this week.

Last edited by HSVTiger; Apr 7, 2008 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 2:03 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity View Post
The area is indeed well-suited, and that I-65/I-565 area is incredibly overdue for major investment.

Has the one in Leeds begun construction ?

."
"by Birmingham News business staff
Thursday January 24, 2008, 11:44 AM

Representatives of Bass Pro Shops joined with officials from Leeds, Moody and St. Clair County at a groundbreaking ceremony today at the site of the retailer's first store in the Birmingham area just off Interstate 20 in Leeds.

The ceremony took place about three months after workers started moving dirt on the land bracketed between U.S. 78 and Rex Lake Road and visible to thousands daily along I-20.

The ceremony brought together the unusual cooperative of Leeds, Moody and St. Clair County that joined to lure the Springfield, Mo.-based outdoors retailer to Jefferson County.

Work on the 148,000-square-foot store is scheduled to be finished in November and it eventually will boast a hotel, restaurants and an adjacent public park."

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 2:05 PM

Someone please post the developments today from Decatur when they announce the interchange development.

Thanks, marv

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 2:33 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvingardns View Post
Someone please post the developments today from Decatur when they announce the interchange development.

Thanks, marv
don't worry it will, a hotel and convention center will also be part of this, some are saying.
Wonder if John Q hammons (Huntsville Embassy Suite) will be part of this, he has developed similar projects in Texas and Missouri.

Last edited by HSVTiger; Mar 17, 2008 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 5:59 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Bass Pro and hotel will break ground June 1st

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Bass Pro and hotel will break ground June 1st
Ok thats it? Where does the billion dollar part come in?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 6:50 PM

Bass Pro Shops to open store near Decatur
Birmingham Business Journal

Bass Pro Shops has announced plans to build a third store in Alabama - this time off Interstate 65 between Decatur and Huntsville.

The shop will anchor the first phase of a $200 million, 540-acre, mixed-use development called Sweetwater located in North Alabama.

The big-name sporting goods retailer is currently building a shop in Leeds, east of Birmingham, and opened its first store in Prattville outside of Montgomery last summer.

In addition to Bass Pro Shops, the 125-acre first phase in Sweetwater will include 300,000 square feet of additional retail space, as well as a hotel and convention center.

According to a news release, Bass Pro is scheduled to open by spring 2009 and the hotel and convention center will open by early 2010.

Future phases of the $1.3 billion Sweetwater development will include 1 million square feet of retail space, 825,000 square feet of medical and office buildings, an entertainment venue to seat up to 8,000 people and 2,700 homes.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; Mar 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 6:57 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Bass Pro Shops has announced plans to build a third store in Alabama - this time off Interstate 65 between Decatur and Huntsville.

The shop will anchor the first phase of a $200 million, 540-acre, mixed-use development called Sweetwater located in North Alabama.

The big-name sporting goods retailer is currently building a shop in Leeds, east of Birmingham, and opened its first store in Prattville outside of Montgomery last summer.

In addition to Bass Pro Shops, the 125-acre first phase in Sweetwater will include 300,000 square feet of additional retail space, as well as a hotel and convention center.

According to a news release, Bass Pro is scheduled to open by spring 2009 and the hotel and convention center will open by early 2010.

Future phases of the $1.3 billion Sweetwater development will include 1 million square feet of retail space, 825,000 square feet of medical and office buildings, an entertainment venue to seat up to 8,000 people and 2,700 homes.
this is a bit interesting as well

Main developer of the project is Genesis U.S.A. Development LLC, "with the development group being comprised of private investors embedded in the national music and entertainment industries," the release said.

Last edited by HSVTiger; Mar 17, 2008 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 10:28 PM
America's Mars Rocket

The hotel is said to be a 4 star property and will be announced in the coming month. Also TV reports said that an interstate type interchange will be built
on highway 20 . Not sure how accurate that is but access into the project will be a 4 lane divided road.
Decatur has at least 6 bass tournaments next year I think.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast