HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 6:17 PM

Well it looks like they have started to do some work at the empty lot on Waterloo st . next to Tim Hortons . It appears they brought water line or something from middle of road into the lot ?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
No update on the waterfront condos/hotel?
Foundation work is underway. Some engineering issues that arose during the initial stages of the foundation have apparently been solved. Condo sales have been strong, so its full steam ahead. No news is good news at this point because this means things are moving along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Well it looks like they have started to do some work at the empty lot on Waterloo st . next to Tim Hortons . It appears they brought water line or something from middle of road into the lot ?
The waterline has to be brought across some/all lanes Waterloo from what I understand. I was under the impression the proponent for this development was going to wait to do this as a result of there being so many other traffic tie-ups in town, but I only heard that through word of mouth. Two of the three buildings are already spoken for, so I suppose the developer wants to get going.

======

Work has started on the building that will be attached to ToysRUs. It will be similar in size I believe, and house a Party City store.

Apparently the Green Investment Group Inc. (GIGI) did manage to purchase the Marathon Pulp Mill in late 2012. The purchase was stalled by concerns from the MOE that the GIGI would not rehabilitate the site (which is somewhat of a puzzle since that is the GIGI's entire business plan). The Green Investment Group purchases brownfield sites, and redevelops them to bring in several smaller industries and businesses. The MOE has issued a number of orders against the GIGI to take some action to clean up the former mill site. Included in the orders in the demolition of all buildings on the property. The GIGI does not have to demolish buildings if they are being marketed though. Hopefully this will spur some more interest in the property. Protocol Biomass from Toronto had been investigating using the Marathon plant for a while as a manufacturing site for torrified wood pellets. I'm not sure if they are still interested in that location. Their website is short on details.
http://www.northernontariobusiness.c...thon-mill.aspx

Last edited by TbayON; Jun 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 8:44 PM
ARTchitecture

Sweet! But no pictures?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 11:32 PM
I am a typical

Not much to see. It's a hole with some poles sticking out of it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 11:50 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Sweet! But no pictures?
I put up a couple like a month ago, but haven't gone back since.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 12:25 AM

Japan Camera, and possibly an 'adult learning centre' will be occupying the front portion of the Econolodge hotel that is currently being renovated on Memorial Ave. Hopefully these tenants will last longer than the seemingly endless line of failed restaurants that attempted to operate out of the same space.

I'm sure everyone is aware that Sobeys has bought out all Safeway grocery stores in Canada. Not sure what impact this will have on the two Thunder Bay Safeway stores. If the Safeway name brand goes by the wayside in favour of one of the Sobeys brand stores, I'm sure we can expect at least minor reno's. Quite a lot of change happening in the local, and national grocery scene lately.

Abitibi Geophysics is confirming they will be setting up shop in Thunder Bay. This will give the company better access to Ontario mining projects. Ten jobs will be created initially, and the company expects to employ 50 locally within a few years. No word on where they will locate yet.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 12:57 AM
I am a typical

My guess is that Sobey's will maintain the Safeway name for a while. The Dawson Road and Arthur Street stores will probably be converted to the Sobey's format fairly soon. Court Street Safeway will probably become a Foodland or be sold off. I don't think we'll see brand changes for at least a year and a half though. Sobey's has the rights to the name Safeway in Canada, and the brand is quite trusted in Western Canada, so it would make sense to keep it going at least for a while.

Some of the Safeway locations in Winnipeg haven't even been renovated to the current format, and there are situations where a Safeway and Sobey's are right beside each other. There will probably be a fair amount of divestment in the west but I think it isn't too likely here, only Court Street is really an uncertainty.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 6:12 PM

I completely forgot about the Court St. Safeway. I tend not to think about it, being from the south side of town. I am not going to say that Sobeys wouldn't do away with that store, but I think it would be good business sense to keep it. The population of the downtown P.A. area is going to increase with the projects going on down there. There is also quite an established population in the area of that store already. There is no reason why that location shouldn't be quite profitable so much as the store is well managed, marketed and maintained. There really isn't any other large chain grocery store in that area.

=======

Another new business is setting up shop in Thunder Bay. Northern Ontario Business is reporting that Golder Associates in opening up an office on Alloy Dr. The company provides consulting, design and construction services, and is based in Mississauga. The company is looking to capitalize on mining and energy projects through opening their Thunder Bay office.
http://www.northernontariobusiness.c...under-Bay.aspx

A group called The Friends of Grain Elevators has applied to have the Western No. 10 elevator in Westfort along the Kam River declared a national historic site. The working elevator contains equipment in working condition from by-gone eras of the grain trade. The owner of the elevator is supporting the bid. In my opinion, its way over due for something like this to be considered for one of Thunder Bay's historical waterfront industries. There is good potential for this thing to be a tourist attraction. Minneapolis has a similar attraction, but it would pale in comparison to tours of the Western elevator.
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/artsandli...friend-request

An announcement is expected before the end of the month surrounding the re-opening of the White River sawmill. The sawmill is under the ownership of a group consisting of municipalities, First Nations and private investors. Frank Dottori (who was instrumental in bringing Birla to Terrace Bay) is rumoured to be among those private investors. From what I understand, the White River sawmill will be integrated into the production chain of the AV Terrace Bay mill. This positions the sawmill well in terms of having a customer for the by-products of lumber production.

The Dubreuil Forest Products sawmill will also be re-opening this summer. AV Terrace Bay is likely a major contributing factor to this sawmill re-opening as well. It is likely the White River mill will require a substantial capital investment to modernize operations since the mill has not run in quite some time. I'm not sure what state the Dubreuil mill is in.

Central and northeastern parts of Northern Ontario are developing quite the network of wood flow between mill operations and harvesting contractors. Much of this supply chain was lost with the downturn of the forest industry. Its restoration is going to produce a stronger cluster of forestry industries in the above areas. Harvesting contractors are also going to be major benefactors as they have multiple customers for their wood products. This is a very positive development economically for these parts of Northern Ontario. Unfortunately, many parts of NWO are not benefiting from this supply chain renaissance. The single-entity nature of forest tenure in this part of the province has limited industrial players to a couple large corporations. Harvesting contractors are forced to deal with one customer for their wood. Coopetition does not exist between different corporations either, which is not as healthy for business in the long run as compared to the situation is central and northeastern Northern Ontario. The province is going to have to address this issue in NWO, which will be difficult for them since they are the ones who have created situation.

Last edited by TbayON; Jun 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 7:49 AM

I live in Timmins and much if not most of the wood being cut in our region is going directly to Quebec sawmills to be processed. Most of the sawmills here have closed. Even the concentrate from the Xstrata Kidd Mine in Timmins is going to Rouyn-Noranda, QC to be refined. Xstrata shut down the refinery/smelter as the Timmins metallurgical site and moved that production to it's Horne Smelter in Rouyn-Noranda. Many jobs lost here and many gained in Quebec. One of the main reasons for moving to Quebec is because hydro rates are much lower. Our government has allowed industrial hydro rates to skyrocket (just like residential ones) and allows raw unprocessed resources to leave the province. Quebec doesn't allow that. I'm not angry at Quebec as the government and industries there have been very smart and took advantage of stupid Government of Ontario decisions and policy.

Luckily there has been a gold mining boom in Timmins and Cochrane which has meant virtually no unemployment. But it won't last forever.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
I completely forgot about the Court St. Safeway. I tend not to think about it, being from the south side of town. I am not going to say that Sobeys wouldn't do away with that store, but I think it would be good business sense to keep it. The population of the downtown P.A. area is going to increase with the projects going on down there. There is also quite an established population in the area of that store already. There is no reason why that location shouldn't be quite profitable so much as the store is well managed, marketed and maintained. There really isn't any other large chain grocery store in that area.
I hope they don't close it, it's the closest grocery store for me. (I wouldn't mind it if they improved the quality of the produce though!)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 5:11 PM
I am a typical

If Safeway's produce is considered bad quality we're doomed. Before the renovations a couple years ago it wasn't uncommon to see piles of rotting produce at Superstore.

Winnipeg Free Press perspective on the sale. Sobey's presently operates in Winnipeg alongside Safeway, in some cases they are beside or across from each other.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 6:41 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
If Safeway's produce is considered bad quality we're doomed. Before the renovations a couple years ago it wasn't uncommon to see piles of rotting produce at Superstore.
It must just be this city then. That or the Court Street Safeway just has really bad produce vs. others, though I think the Red River one was fairly questionable.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I live in Timmins and much if not most of the wood being cut in our region is going directly to Quebec sawmills to be processed. Most of the sawmills here have closed. Even the concentrate from the Xstrata Kidd Mine in Timmins is going to Rouyn-Noranda, QC to be refined. Xstrata shut down the refinery/smelter as the Timmins metallurgical site and moved that production to it's Horne Smelter in Rouyn-Noranda. Many jobs lost here and many gained in Quebec. One of the main reasons for moving to Quebec is because hydro rates are much lower. Our government has allowed industrial hydro rates to skyrocket (just like residential ones) and allows raw unprocessed resources to leave the province. Quebec doesn't allow that. I'm not angry at Quebec as the government and industries there have been very smart and took advantage of stupid Government of Ontario decisions and policy.

Luckily there has been a gold mining boom in Timmins and Cochrane which has meant virtually no unemployment. But it won't last forever.
Timmins' proximity to Quebec allows for economical transport of raw materials over the border. The more western areas of northeastern Ontario are too far in terms of secondary transport distances to move wood economically to Quebec. I suspect if Ontario does not make some effort to address operating costs and other government-created uncertainties for industry in the near future, much of downstream benefits of the growth in the mining industry could be lost to other jurisdictions. This is just one of many natural resource related issues facing the Ontario government at present. Instead of looking for solid solutions, the government only seems interested in pussy-footing around the issues and taking non-committal stances on things (a.k.a. the easy way out). I can sympathize with them that the issues are incredibly complex, but doing something (regardless of whether it turns out to be the right move or the wrong move) is still better than empty talk at the end of the day. There needs to be some direction from government (other than the wishy-washy stuff) before investors will spend, and that is just not happening in Ontario right now.

We can take some salvation in the fact that most jurisdictions will eventually have to increase electricity costs. Ontario is kind of the canary in the coal mine. Most North American jurisdictions require major upgrades to generation capacity and transmission infrastructure. This stuff isn't nearly as cheap as it used to be. I know that Manitoba specifically is facing some issues currently, and the taxpayers of the province are in for major sticker shock for hydro projects that took place in that province after the Americans did not purchase as much power as predicted. Ontario's energy experiments under McGuinty were far worse than most other jurisdictions will experience, which is worrisome.

=========

It appears Abitibi Geophysics will be setting up shop at the former Northern Woods property were Pierre Gagne Contracting has purchased the property and Iron Ore trestle. A picture posted on the Opportunity Thunder Bay site shows a billboard indicating the company's new address in the the city. This area has potential to be a major industrial park for the mining industry.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 10:14 PM

Habitat for Humanity ReStore is putting a 7,000 sq. ft. addition onto their Thunder Bay store on Squier. The addition will allow ReStore to house more donated materials for sale to the general public. The place is always busy whenever I am passing by, and they definitely need the space. I tried donating some used items that were in decent shape during the winter, and they wouldn't take them because the room wasn't there to store it.

Work is well underway on the new Telus store at Intercity.

The former Army Surplus/Outdoor store at the corner of Park and Cumberland (I think) is being refurbished. Apparently investors from Southern Ontario purchased the building and it is being renovated for commercial space downstairs and residential units upstairs. Work is underway on the building once occupied by Kilroys as well just up the street as per posts earlier this year. Definitely welcome news and positive developments for downtown Port Arthur!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 4:58 PM

Details on the start-up of two area sawmills came out Friday.

First was the White River mill:
http://www.northernontariobusiness.c...r-sawmill.aspx

Second, Resolute has selected a site for their new Atikokan area sawmill. Long rumoured as the preferred site, the location of the former Buchanan mill in Sapawe will be home to Resolute's mill.
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/286071/Resolute-selects-site-of-future-$50M-sawmill-near-Atikokan

Both the above mills will be producing random length lumber, something that hasn't been produced at all in NWO for quite some time. The majority of random length lumber has been imported from the west for area markets. These mills should help shake up the random length lumber trade in eastern Canada.

Fencing has been erected around Lakehead Motors as reno's to the main dealership and construction of a new building near. The job isn't without some issues though, as far as I understand. I believe at least part of the job came in pretty far over budget. I am not sure how this is impacting things just yet.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 3:27 PM

drove down Arthur street and noticed this house was being demolished

http://goo.gl/maps/cJqbs

the small house behind the trees

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
Haven't seen it posted here yet, so I thought I would put it on the record that Tom Jones is working on the building between AGC Glass and the fitness centre on Vickers. I think it used to be a movie rental place??? I also think it is being converted into another methadone clinic...
Now open as the White Cedar Health Care Centre. Focuses on opioid and alcohol treatment and counselling, uses aboriginal teachings.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/2863...ction-recovery

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 8:08 PM
Urban Fanactic

Council Gives Green Light To New Senior's Complex

The Sault will have another senior's home complex with construction planned for the Spring of 2014 on a five storey building by the Ontario Finnish Resthome Association.

The building will be located on North Street just north of Second Line East by the new Superior Heights High School.

Source: http://www.cityssm.on.ca/contentadmi...orsComplex.pdf

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
Now open as the White Cedar Health Care Centre. Focuses on opioid and alcohol treatment and counselling, uses aboriginal teachings.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/2863...ction-recovery
Hopefully this will aid in solving some of the social issues that are seriously affecting a minority of the city's population. I am glad Thunder Bay doesn't try and hide the truth that we do have some issues here.

=======
The Thunder Bay Art Gallery is speaking to council tonight. They are planning a $25 million facility adjacent to the Prince Arthur's Landing development. The new gallery wouldn't open until 2017 according to current plans.

The former plasma clinic on Barton St. is being converted into a cardiology clinic, a pharmacy and eventually a walk-in clinic. Construction is currently underway and a very tight deadline has been set, so expect the building to be occupied again soon.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 7:57 PM
Urban Fanactic

PUC sells building, Roofmart to move in

Quote:
Sault Ste. Marie PUC Services Inc. has a buyer for one of its no-longer-needed buildings.

PUC President and CEO Dominic Parrella informed SooToday.com that the PUC concluded the sale of the Trbovich site at 550 Second Line East (shown here) as of June 17, to Roofmart Canada Ltd.

Roofmart is a Canadian owned and operated roofing and building supplier, based in Brampton, Ontario. The company traces its roots back to 1957, but officially became known as Roofmart in 1969.

Most of Roofmart’s locations are in Ontario. Its new Sault Ste. Marie location will be its 46th. Roofmart sells its products to both residential and commercial customers.

Read More Here: http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=58642

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario