HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 7:40 PM

best buy is still seen as American by most - even though future shop is owned by best buy people still seem to choose it since it's perceived as "Canadian"

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 5:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I find FS still a much worse experience. When the chain was bought out, FS employees were still paid on commission and pushed their useless "warranty" plans a lot more. BB was nowhere near as bad. Not sure if this is still the case, but I find FS employees to still be more annoying.

Of course they're both evil horrible chains anyway with atrocious misleading marketing practices... but sometimes they're a necessary evil.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Went to Best Buy 17th ave. The service staff (most of them) were really helpful and knew a lot about their products. It sure wasnt hard to find one either. I love having this best buy so close. It was pretty busy when I went there. Had a great shopping experience this year and didnt really have to leave the inner city.
Perhaps they've upped their game in the last week, but when I went a couple weeks ago, I had to ask four different floor staff where the blank DVD-Rs were before I found one that offered more than a clueless stare. They had about 20 staff milling around and one cashier working, who looked like she was ready to quit.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 3:42 AM
Round Head

I've been to the Best Buy several times (it's within a block if where I live) it definitely is busier each time I'm there. Today it was quite bustling.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Retail in its present form will likely last for the foreseable future.

<snip>

Same daughter is "requested" to be the flower girl for wedding on my wife's side. Bride picked out flower girl dress from online Amazon merchant and the sticker price came to $40. Wife needed help with the Amazon store and we clicked through to finds out there was a $50 shipping and handling charge plus an unknown amount (due on delivery) for customs and import fees. Plus there is a high likelihood the dress will need altering. New plan is to organize a trip to Cross Iron Mills and see what Oksana's can do.

Boxing Day my wife and I braved the crowds to get new winter jackets from Sport Check. I tried on 3 jackets and took the first one as they all fit about the same. Wife tried on 10-12 jackets and range of cuts and styles made only one style actually fit her body. I have done the online thing for jeans and other items that I am simply updating from a retailer I have known for years, but women's fashion is so over the map it must be tried-on before purchase.

Also consider that a big chunk of the female population love going to stores and malls just to window shop with friends. There is no social gathering in online retail, the bricks and mortar retail business will be around for a long time.
All good points.

re: shipping and duty
The more progressive large online retailers (i.e. those that understand Canada exists) generally implement a process where all shipping and duty is presented up front and at discounted rates that tend to make them quite competitive. Purolator definitely has a 'all in' service for US retailers and I believe the UPS WorldEase product offers similar convenience for merchants. B & H Photo is probably the best example but I have seen many companies that handle 'no surprise' shipping to Canada quite well.

re: Sizing
My process is to order a whole bunch of stuff from a place with a real storefront and a generous return policy. Find the stuff that fits and return the rest. There are more than a few online companies that actively encourage this - it is part of their business model.

re: Window Shopping
It's about the social activity, not the stores. I think the stores might just serve as a disctraction of convenience. Easily replaced if they become less available/interesting.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:17 PM
Inflatable Hippo

B&H has easily set my retirement back five years...

Most large volume retailers line haul their Canadian bound merchandise and bring it over the border themselves before handing it over to a courier here. Midsized retailers tend to employ a customs broker but transport the freight by courier and the smaller volume retailers employ a service like Purolator International who are an end-to-end provider.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I've been to the Best Buy several times (it's within a block if where I live) it definitely is busier each time I'm there. Today it was quite bustling.
I was at Best Buy last Sunday, and although it was still Boxing week, the activity level was comparable to a Saturday at a typical suburban Best Buy. Sales guy said that previous days were even busier.

Can't wait to see what other stores open up on the main floor of Hanson Square. Also really hoping the lot on 16th ave and 8th street gets going soon. This area is getting really dense.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 7:37 AM

Chinook Sears to Nordstrom Conversion.

Here is what the indoor gutting and demolition looks like right now

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I find FS still a much worse experience. When the chain was bought out, FS employees were still paid on commission and pushed their useless "warranty" plans a lot more. BB was nowhere near as bad. Not sure if this is still the case, but I find FS employees to still be more annoying.
I still prefer Visions for any big purchase like a TV or something. You can barter them down like on a Mexican Beach! Then laugh off their extended warranty ploy as your typing in your debit pin.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 7:00 AM

best buy sales people always have to tell you we are here to help and we are not on commission but they do get commission on the extended warranties that they try to push on you

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 4:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
best buy sales people always have to tell you we are here to help and we are not on commission but they do get commission on the extended warranties that they try to push on you
That's kinda the impression I've gathered over the years. But BB just doesn't seem to do it as annoyingly. Maybe I just fine it easier to avoid the blueshirts becuase they're so much more visible.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 5:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Chinook Sears to Nordstrom Conversion.

Here is what the indoor gutting and demolition looks like right now

Thanks for the update. I wonder why they won't be opening until fall 2014. At the stage they're at now, I'd think they could be open by fall of this year.

I was at The Bay in Chinook the other day, and just like every Bay, I find the clothing for men bland. Anybody know if they plan on renovating this location and upping their brand selection etc, or are they just going to continue on their current path and totally surrender pretty much all of the mid to higher-end/style-conscious market away to Nordstrom without a battle.

In its current state, i don't think I would ever step foot into The Bay again once Nordstrom opens.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Also, what's the most likely scenario for the upcoming expansion at Chinook?

There isn't really much surface area in the front of the mall because most of the parking is underground.

I heard on here that they would most likely build onto the other side of Macleod Trail. Would they build a strip across the current surface lot and then continue on to say the Chinook plaza area?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 5:29 PM
BANNED

This sounds pretty cool. The Canon store they're opening downtown will be the first of its kind in the world!

Quote:
Canon to Open First of Many ‘Experience Stores’ In the Following Days

DL Cade · Jan 11, 2013

Canon to Open First of Many Experience Stores In the Following Days canonbooth1 mini

Even as we say goodbye to the Jessops chain of retail stores in the UK, it seems that more of the major manufacturers are moving towards establishing a brick and mortar branch. Polaroid will soon be opening ‘Fotobars’ and now, following in Polaroid and Leica’s footsteps, Canon is getting ready to open its own ‘Canon Experience Stores.’

According to Canon Rumors, the first of the stores will open in Calgary, Canada; followed by more all around the globe. That piece of news seems to be all but fact. What’s less determined is what exactly these stores will look like.

Rumor has it they will be Apple store-eque: a simple, all white design with plenty of space to try different cameras and lenses. There should also be an educational section to the store, where you can take advantage of a set of iMacs and your local Canon professional.

The coolest of the rumors is that customers will have to walk through an LED tunnel to enter into the store — fingers crossed on this one. Supposedly this will put you in a more creative mood by surrounding you in sights and sounds.

Whatever they end up looking like, the first store should be announced in the coming days, so Calgary residents keep an eye out for LED tunnels and camera equipment.
http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/11/...ollowing-days/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 4:09 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
This sounds pretty cool. The Canon store they're opening downtown will be the first of its kind in the world!

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/11/...ollowing-days/
This seems like a shot over the bow of stores like The Camera Store and Vistek, seems like the Canon lower end will all but disappear from those stores.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 5:07 PM
not a NIMBY

the Canon store is called Image Square and will be located in EAP.

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/categoryH...=2&catid=20494

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Thanks for the update. I wonder why they won't be opening until fall 2014. At the stage they're at now, I'd think they could be open by fall of this year.

I was at The Bay in Chinook the other day, and just like every Bay, I find the clothing for men bland. Anybody know if they plan on renovating this location and upping their brand selection etc, or are they just going to continue on their current path and totally surrender pretty much all of the mid to higher-end/style-conscious market away to Nordstrom without a battle.

In its current state, i don't think I would ever step foot into The Bay again once Nordstrom opens.
I don't have a full idea of the overall scope of the the project, but there is a lot that will happen. The escalators and elevators will be moving, some or all of the exterior will be changing (I think), there will be a new skylight, etc.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 1:49 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Could it also involve some sort of distribution centre?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 2:12 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
the Canon store is called Image Square and will be located in EAP.

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/categoryH...=2&catid=20494
I was hoping they'd be located in the Core, but I guess EAP is close enough.

As a Canon guy myself this will be a cool place to check out, but I still love the service and selection from the Camera Store. However if they do it right this place is much more convenient for me to get to (~10 minute walk, quick drive with 3 hour free parking on the weekends at the Core).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 4:50 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I was hoping they'd be located in the Core, but I guess EAP is close enough.

As a Canon guy myself this will be a cool place to check out, but I still love the service and selection from the Camera Store. However if they do it right this place is much more convenient for me to get to (~10 minute walk, quick drive with 3 hour free parking on the weekends at the Core).
Being that it will be accessible from a portion of Stephen ave which lost its retail with the demolition of Penny Lane actually makes me happy for it to be in EAP.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy