HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
So, it's ignored. 👍
Ignored like most of the other laws and bylaws involving street beggars and homeless encampments. Police have essentially abrogated responsibility for enforcement while everyone else wrings their hands about the need for more supports. Meanwhile the mayhem continues and nothing gets done.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 12:09 AM

It is annoying that if I opened up a Bud Light on Esplanade Riel I'd probably be hit with a $672 open liquor ticket if a cop passed by and saw me. But you want to take over a bus shelter and smoke crack in it all day? By all means, be our guest! No hassles, no problems!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is annoying that if I opened up a Bud Light on Esplanade Riel I'd probably be hit with a $672 open liquor ticket if a cop passed by and saw me. But you want to take over a bus shelter and smoke crack in it all day? By all means, be our guest! No hassles, no problems!
Life hack: If you want to enjoy a nice refreshing beverage in your local park on a hot summer day, just larp as a homeless person. Problem solved.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 5:26 PM

Well, since I posted earlier my point has been proven by the ensuing comments. A lot of talk about how people aren’t being punished severely enough but nothing about what causes anti-social behaviour and what can be done to combat the poverty, drug addiction, mental illness, intergenerational trauma, and so on, and help to assist people in not heading down those paths to begin with.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 6:33 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I read about all this violence to innocent people and it makes me sick. My son and his family frequent the Forks and I constantly worry about them being harmed.

Winnipeg will just continue to get worse. We have the freedom to live anyplace in Canada, what keeps people living in the worst possible place? I moved away four years ago and have never been happier. YOU can too!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 8:24 PM

There was a recent spasm of violence, and yes, rising crime in Winnipeg is a problem that absolutely needs to be worked on. But it's taking the stairs, not the elevator.

Sitting in fear while your family visits the Forks is just a silly overreaction. Winnipeg is a rougher part of one of the safest countries in the world. Let's not get caught up in hyperbole and confuse it with Mogadishu.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 7:15 PM

He has a long history of overreaction and hyperbole. Anyhoo, Melissa Martin has a pretty good article on the advisability of trying to find ways to address the issues without overreacting.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...576651602.html

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I read about all this violence to innocent people and it makes me sick. My son and his family frequent the Forks and I constantly worry about them being harmed.

Winnipeg will just continue to get worse. We have the freedom to live anyplace in Canada, what keeps people living in the worst possible place? I moved away four years ago and have never been happier. YOU can too!
Apparently a couple of new Ukrainian refugees agree!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
He has a long history of overreaction and hyperbole. Anyhoo, Melissa Martin has a pretty good article on the advisability of trying to find ways to address the issues without overreacting.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...576651602.html
If there is one thing that Winnipeg has 100% definitely not done, it is overreact to stabbings, shootings, beatings, etc. Some might say we have barely reacted at all.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 7:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
There was a recent spasm of violence, and yes, rising crime in Winnipeg is a problem that absolutely needs to be worked on. But it's taking the stairs, not the elevator.

Sitting in fear while your family visits the Forks is just a silly overreaction. Winnipeg is a rougher part of one of the safest countries in the world. Let's not get caught up in hyperbole and confuse it with Mogadishu.
Had the misfortune of being in Winnipeg one night this week after 10 PM, it was like Dawn of the Dead, heck on the way home one women standing in the centre lane going up Disraeli, she was wearing just a bra and short shorts and looked as high as a kite! Lovely sights for my out of town visitors to see, of course in No Balls Bowman's and clueless city clowncil anything goes, wanna smoke crack or do anything in a bus shelter, no problem!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Well, since I posted earlier my point has been proven by the ensuing comments. A lot of talk about how people aren’t being punished severely enough but nothing about what causes anti-social behaviour and what can be done to combat the poverty, drug addiction, mental illness, intergenerational trauma, and so on, and help to assist people in not heading down those paths to begin with.

I understand and hear what you're saying, but these things are talked about. Almost every morning on my way to work you will here about these issues on CBC radio, about residential schools, intergenerational trauma etc etc.. While I agree with you that these things need to be adressed, something does need to be done in the mean time. Its not really fair to the rest of the large majority of Winnipegers to have to put up with such a mess.

The stabbing at the forks and the shooting of a little kid at the the winnipeg ex should have been a call to action and to say enough is enough. How is it that Winnipeg a city with barely 800,000 residents is second in number of homicides behind Toronto, a city with millions of people?? Per capita we are beating Toronto.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If there is one thing that Winnipeg has 100% definitely not done, it is overreact to stabbings, shootings, beatings, etc. Some might say we have barely reacted at all.
I think you're right. Generally, Winnipeggers are content to ignore violent crime until it impacts middle class people or areas. Remember when Phil Haiart (son of a prominent doctor) was shot in the West End in 2005? That led to a lot of civic hand-wringing and eventually operation Clean Sweep and the WPS Street Crimes Unit. Before that, I remember when some American tourists were jumped and robbed behind Portage Place. The whole city basically rolled out the red carpet and showered these tourists with gifts and apologies. But every other day when someone is assaulted or stabbed in a poor part of town we are happy to turn a blind eye.

Once again, Winnipeggers are concerned because it makes us look bad. I worry the reaction will be brief and only address immediate concerns for more security at the Forks without really dealing with the root causes of the problem, which are not new, and require more series intervention at a social and societal level.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 8:25 PM

I went to The Forks last night. Had dinner and drinks, then dessert, and a long wander over the Norwood Bridge, up Tache and back.

It was lovely, lots of people of all backgrounds out enjoying themselves. There was a visible but not overwhelming police presence, no doubt in light of recent events.

The Forks does not feel like a dangerous or dodgy place the way that Main Street or Portage Place do. But when you walk over the Norwood and up Tache it feels kind of abandoned and forlorn, at least on the sidewalk. The surroundings are pleasant enough but then there will be a pile of discarded packages and other belongings, and a bunch of ugly black-marker graffiti. The sketchiness is mostly outside The Forks itself. But there is so much of it, it's no shock that on occasion, it spills over.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

How come in will get worse? Why won't it stabilize where it currently is at with what is admittedly not exactly low levels of crime. Or why can't it improve with some changes to current policies?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post

Its already at the top, Not sure what you think the destination is. If it gets anyworse that would be a real disgrace. Specially for a city in a developed country.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:19 PM

Was at the Forks Common last night from about 6 to 9:30 pm. The place was extremely busy for a week night. It felt lively, safe and fun. I only noticed 2 security guards walk through once, and there was no other notable presence of security. Parking lots were full, etc. etc. It never felt unsafe at any time.

I think Winnipeg has lots of work to do to address crime and poverty throughout the core area, but I really don’t think anyone should be deterred from going to the Forks. And clearly, lots of people felt the same way because it was really busy. I’m looking forward to going back soon.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 5:05 PM

I'll say it again. I have no hesitation taking my family to the Forks or other places downtown. I don't sit there worrying biting my finger nails. 99.9% of the time, you're safe.

Maybe I don't look like a worthy target for the thugs with knives. People ask me for smokes or money. I decline and move on.

The real issue if the homelessness and erratic behaviour. I drive through Ellice to Disraeli regularly during late nights. And it's interesting to say the least. The solution for that is extensive social programs. But there is no will for that. Every summer this happens. People come in from remote locations and live on the streets. That's what they want I guess. The more recent issues seem to be with the meth. One hell of a drug..

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 5:21 PM

"I won't go to the forks, it's too dangerous"
-- people who never went to the forks in the first place

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
"I won't go to the forks, it's too dangerous"
-- people who never went to the forks in the first place
True. It's not just the Forks, it's the entire city. Crime has literally gone rampant. It reminds me of the 90's here.

Even me, in a neighborhood that hasn't had a car stolen for over 20 years. And guess what....Friday morning my truck is stolen right out of my driveway. All my business tools gone. They even had the balls to unhitch the trailer before they drove off. I live on a dead end street to boot.

I'm seriously fkn sick of this city. And I've never said that in all my years. I've always stuck up for Winnipeg. But this new breed of criminals is way different then we had before. I'm tired of seeing our bus shelters used as rooming houses. Heck yesterday was just going to the store at noon by St vital center and there was a guy setting up shop in the bus shelter.

When summer came transit should have just removed all the shelter's. The city won't do squat. And Main Street Project seems to think these are their own personal shelters. Then get rid of them. Probably costs more to fix them weekly then to just unbolt them and put in storage.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
True. It's not just the Forks, it's the entire city. Crime has literally gone rampant. It reminds me of the 90's here.

Even me, in a neighborhood that hasn't had a car stolen for over 20 years. And guess what....Friday morning my truck is stolen right out of my driveway. All my business tools gone. They even had the balls to unhitch the trailer before they drove off. I live on a dead end street to boot.

I'm seriously fkn sick of this city. And I've never said that in all my years. I've always stuck up for Winnipeg. But this new breed of criminals is way different then we had before. I'm tired of seeing our bus shelters used as rooming houses. Heck yesterday was just going to the store at noon by St vital center and there was a guy setting up shop in the bus shelter.

When summer came transit should have just removed all the shelter's. The city won't do squat. And Main Street Project seems to think these are their own personal shelters. Then get rid of them. Probably costs more to fix them weekly then to just unbolt them and put in storage.

Winnipeg has theft, bus shelters have bums, some guy is angry he didn’t bring his tools in the house like an experienced Winnipegger and had a bad day, everyone’s an inconvenienced victim, cool guys let’s move the fuck on already.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan