HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 6:13 PM
Mooderator

My parents installed solar panels on their home. They use it to charge their two electric vehicles (Mach E and a F150 lightning).

They live in the sticks, and are both 66.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
My parents installed solar panels on their home. They use it to charge their two electric vehicles (Mach E and a F150 lightning).

They live in the sticks, and are both 66.
Great setup, I love it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I want an electric car with no touch screens or digital displays. Something like a c.1993 Honda Civic/Accord or BMW 3 series was perfect. Rotary HVAC volume controls, round speedometer/temp dials, maybe I'd tolerate a digital heads-up display for a driver assistant (that can be turned off.) Just include 2-3 USB-C outlets, preferably on the left/centre/right near the vents. And possibly room to install my own LTE-enabled tablet in the center console. There's no reason for car manufacturers to be in the software UX biz, since most get them wrong.

600km cold weather range, 4 seater hatchback for $15,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Agreed. It'd also be a lot cheaper.
It actually wouldn't be. It's counterintuitive but making everything electronic and relying on software defined buttons massively simplifies manufacturing and supply chains. This is exactly why Tesla does it to such an absurd extent.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 8:44 PM
recession proof

It could be though. I mean Nissan sold my Micra for $10k new and still made a profit. You don't even have to make new instruments, just grab them from a parts bin.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 9:16 PM

Quote:
It could be though. I mean Nissan sold my Micra for $10k new and still made a profit. You don't even have to make new instruments, just grab them from a parts bin.
With inflation that Micra would be closer to $15k today. But also, one of the reasons legacy automakers are so far behind Tesla is because they are relying on the current parts bin when building EVs. Some are starting to realize the problem and as they move to newer platforms, they aren't going to design vehicles which rely on the existing parts bin. That only prolongs their disadvantage.

As for EV costs in general, it's mostly just supply and demand. There's more demand than supply. And that means automakers and dealers dictate the price. Hopefully we get more balance in due course. I'm sitting on a 10 yr old car and I'd like to move on. But paying $60-70k for a decent EV seems to defeat the argument about EVs being cheaper.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 9:18 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It actually wouldn't be. It's counterintuitive but making everything electronic and relying on software defined buttons massively simplifies manufacturing and supply chains. This is exactly why Tesla does it to such an absurd extent.
The sensors and technology for self-steer, self-park, lane centering, self-driving, etc is not cheap. They are the main reasons why cars have gotten so expensive now. The price of a new car is now almost $50k.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 9:24 PM

Quote:
The sensors and technology for self-steer, self-park, lane centering, self-driving, etc is not cheap. They are the main reasons why cars have gotten so expensive now. The price of a new car is now almost $50k.
Sure. But we're not talking about sensors. We're talking about why automakers are replacing hardware inside the car with software defined buttons on touchscreens. And despite what they say, it's largely driven by:

1) Cost savings. Think of the wiring and harnesses cut. Think of each little piece of plastic cut from the supply chain. And the reduced time and complexity when manufacturing.

2) Programmability. Make everything software defined and you can change functionality by changing software.

Also, the Sandy Munro and John McElroy video I posted earlier pointed out that Tesla for example will build in an extra $1k worth of hardware into every car. They do that because they save enough in manufacturing complexity and get enough up take on additional functionality across all their sales to net a profit, along with incalculable additional value from data collection. Tesla shows that we can't think of manufacturing costs like we did in the past.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 10:17 PM

Sensors are pretty cheap once they reach volume production. USS, Lidar, and others can save money over time when linked to automatic braking. One minor fender bender can cost a ton of money to repair in any new car.

Tesla also made a point of having the Model Y and 3 share about 80% of their parts.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 1:01 AM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 2:15 PM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 3:11 PM
你的媽媽

With a starting price of $47k ($39.5k after federal tax credits) for the Model Y and $40k (~$36k after federal tax credits) for the Model 3, Tesla is looking more and more tempting.

Quote:
Tesla cuts U.S. prices again ahead of 1Q earnings release
an hour ago

DETROIT (AP) — Tesla dropped the starting prices for its two top-selling models overnight, the company’s fourth price cut in the U.S. this year.

The company lopped $3,000, or about 6%, off the starting prices for all three versions of the Model Y small SUV, Tesla’s top-seller. It also cut $2,000, or about 5%, from the starting price of a version of the Model 3 small sedan.

Tesla could have cut the Model 3 prices to make more cars loaded with options eligible for the U.S. government’s $7,500 electric vehicle tax credit. With options, some Model 3s would exceed the government’s $55,000 price limit for cars to be eligible for the credit.

But some industry analysts say demand may be slowing for the company’s vehicles as more competition enters the market. Others say Tesla is using its high profit margins to take market share from competitors.

Before the opening bell Wednesday, shares of Tesla Inc. slid more than 3%. After major declines last year, the company’s stock is bouncing back, up almost 50% so far in 2023.

A message was left Wednesday morning seeking comment from Austin, Texas-based Tesla.

The cuts follow price drops earlier this week overseas, with analysts reporting cuts in Europe, Israel and Singapore.

They come just ahead of Tesla’s first-quarter earnings release scheduled for after the closing bell on Wednesday.

The $3,000 price cuts on the Model Y dropped the lowest-priced Dual Motor model to $46,990. The Long Range model went to $49,990 and the Y Performance dropped to $53,990. All versions of the Model Y were already eligible for the U.S. tax credit because the price limit for SUVs is $80,000.

The Model 3 Rear Wheel Drive, Tesla’s lowest-priced vehicle, saw a cut to $39,990. The Model 3 Performance version stayed the same at $52,990.

Neither of Tesla’s slower-selling bigger models, the S and X, are eligible for tax credits, and prices remained the same Wednesday for both of them.
https://apnews.com/article/tesla-pri...c4e437b97b17b6

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 3:20 PM

$39,990 for the standard Model 3 might be lower than the $35k advertised launch price (accounting for inflation). Quite remarkable really.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 3:51 PM
你的媽媽

This is pretty neat too. Rocking the Pepsi livery too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors...led_up_across/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
True, but as a reviewer who I watched pointed out, with EVs displacing ICE, engines no longer become a differentiator or selling point between manufacturers. All they'll have is styling (interior and exterior) to differentiate their products. One massive screen isn't going to do that and will get boring really fast.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 9:22 PM

Quote:
VW iD7 unveiled: very dull, awkward and should've been a proper sedan not hatchback.
I dunno, doesn't look bad to me. Maybe a little tall and narrow, but that's a function of using the MEB platform.

2025-volkswagen-id7-29-643aabceb8d6d by bcborn, on Flickr
Credit: Car & Driver

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 9:41 PM

Quote:
With a starting price of $47k ($39.5k after federal tax credits) for the Model Y and $40k (~$36k after federal tax credits) for the Model 3, Tesla is looking more and more tempting.

https://apnews.com/article/tesla-pri...c4e437b97b17b6
Honestly, it’s gotten to the point where I’m considering getting a Model 3. At 50k CAD as a value/entry level EV the standard range makes a lot of sense if you can put up with its looks and interior.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 10:05 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Honestly, it’s gotten to the point where I’m considering getting a Model 3. At 50k CAD as a value/entry level EV the standard range makes a lot of sense if you can put up with its looks and interior.
The value proposition is hard to deny. That said, it's likely this is not the last time we'll see a price cut. And perhaps the Model 2 will be on the way at some point as well.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Probably because Elon Musk is such a colossal Douchebag.
I can't stand Musk personally. He's an attention seeking shit disturber who outside of his world of engineering/electric cars/clean energy/aerospace is not the brightest bulb.

But I try to separate the man and the product. Tesla is actually a really good car. It's not perfect by any means. Let's be real we can pick apart any car if we wanted to. Overall I am a happy customer, and I'd buy another one today...that says a lot especially given the Musk factor.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Wow I thought you've been shitting on Tesla this whole time.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I can't believe what I'm reading! Do you have a fever?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada