HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 6:04 AM

^ Thanks for including that render here.
I'm not really thrilled about the big blank wall on Sheridan. The one on Surf is less of an issue, largely because the 1st floor is glazed.

--------------------------

The Kinzie & Canal intersection has been signalized. Quite a symbol that the area is coming of age, in anticipation of River Point and Wolf Point and in response to K Station and Hubbard Place, among the rest of the growth in the area.

It does make one wonder whether all this will also force an upgrade of the Kinzie Bridge before long - one lane in each direction might become fairly dysfunctional during all rush hours.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 8:41 AM
TL;DR

^ The first floor is also glazed on Sheridan. The blank part starts at the second floor.

It looks like it is clad in Kasota stone, so it should be pretty attractive.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^

The Kinzie & Canal intersection has been signalized. Quite a symbol that the area is coming of age, in anticipation of River Point and Wolf Point and in response to K Station and Hubbard Place, among the rest of the growth in the area.

It does make one wonder whether all this will also force an upgrade of the Kinzie Bridge before long - one lane in each direction might become fairly dysfunctional during all rush hours.
I've lived in the Fulton River District for a little over two years now, and the amount of growth in foot, bike, and automobile traffic has been astronomical.
With the building of Wolf Point and River Point, are there plans to convert Clinton and Canal to one way streets like they are south of Lake Street? Would definitely help with the flow of traffic for bikes and cars as well as make it easier on pedestrians looking to cross streets.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
I've lived in the Fulton River District for a little over two years now, and the amount of growth in foot, bike, and automobile traffic has been astronomical.
With the building of Wolf Point and River Point, are there plans to convert Clinton and Canal to one way streets like they are south of Lake Street? Would definitely help with the flow of traffic for bikes and cars as well as make it easier on pedestrians looking to cross streets.
I'd say the biggest issue are the grade crossings at Canal and Clinton, when Metra is running a lot it gums up the whole area for all modes. Would like to see Canal closed to vehicle traffic and a pedestrian/bike overpass put in, the rail lines sunk into at least a partial covered trench so that Clinton can be separated and Jefferson connected to Kinzie.

Also would it kill the city to do some pedestrian improvements to the back side of the apparel mart and on canal north of lake...like tell them to relocate the huge sign that blocks 80% of the sidewalk and put in a set of stairs on the south side to get up to Orleans? The sidewalk on Canal that EVERYONE uses is the east one and is about 6ft wide.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post

Kinzie already is completely disfunctional for automobile traffic during rush hours and jammed solid from Milwaukee/Halsted until about Wells (part of this might be related to the now complete Wells Bridge construction).

If there is any intersection that needs improvement it is Clinton and Kinzie because the columns for the viaduct really obstruct motorist's views of oncoming Eastbound bike traffic in the protected lane. I love tearing along there while all the cars are at a standstill on my bike, but many cyclists are coming down that "hill" (something bicyclists are not used to in Chicago since we have a total of zero of them) and picking up speed right into that stop sign. Often times the bikes run the stop sign (and by that I mean all times) and it is just a dangerous situation since cars turning left off Kinzie can't see them through the forest of columns. All the evidence of this that one needs is the mess of skidmarks in the Eastbound bike lane just before Clinton. The pavement is almost completely pained with rubber.

As if that weren't bad enough, many motorists block the bike lane while trying to forcibly merge into the jammed eastbound lane of Kinzie making it nearly impossible to get through that intersection in the bike lane again because of the viaduct. If anything, this intersection should be an enforcement hotspot for both motorists and cyclists to teach everyone how to deal with the new reality of a bike friendly city. If they stationed one cop there during rush hours they could probably wipe out all of the city's budget woes between ticketing cyclists for running a stop sign and cars for blocking bike lanes/intersections.

However, the real solution is to signalize it with regular lights and a bike signal like on Dearborn and, in the long run, convert Clinton and Canal to one way streets to minimize the amount of time the bike signal (and auto signals) are red and help clear the mess on Kinzie. I just hope they never touch the Kinzie bridge. This little part of town is delightfully industrial and modifying that rickety old bridge would ruin it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 3:00 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ The first floor is also glazed on Sheridan. The blank part starts at the second floor.

It looks like it is clad in Kasota stone, so it should be pretty attractive.
You know it's funny, I initially assumed it would be an onyx stone, or something similar (based solely on the rendering), but for this type of application (exterior) I don't think that would be appropriate, in addition to that being a potentially very expensive option. I think you totally called it with the Kasota stone, which I agree 100% that it will still look pretty awesome.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 4:10 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...est-of-chicago

Why New City success means little for the rest of Chicago
By Micah Maidenberg November 25, 2013

Quote:
The New City shopping center under development near Lincoln Park is adjacent to the city's hottest retail district, close to some of its wealthiest consumers and led by a pair of experienced developers. So the fact that it is about to get a whopping $182 million construction loan is both good news and bad.
The loan—the biggest local construction mortgage since the builders of a luxury Lincoln Park condo reeled in $170 million three years ago—will end an agonizing six years since a development group bought the 8.5-acre site near Clybourn Avenue and Halsted Street.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 4:22 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I'd say the biggest issue are the grade crossings at Canal and Clinton, when Metra is running a lot it gums up the whole area for all modes. Would like to see Canal closed to vehicle traffic and a pedestrian/bike overpass put in, the rail lines sunk into at least a partial covered trench so that Clinton can be separated and Jefferson connected to Kinzie.

Also would it kill the city to do some pedestrian improvements to the back side of the apparel mart and on canal north of lake...like tell them to relocate the huge sign that blocks 80% of the sidewalk and put in a set of stairs on the south side to get up to Orleans? The sidewalk on Canal that EVERYONE uses is the east one and is about 6ft wide.
In my opinion, what the City should have been planning to do, and probably should already have done, is extend the Canal viaduct all the way to Kinzie, and create a bridge from Wolf Point to Fulton or over the Metra tracks all the way to Desplaines.

It's kind of too late to do at this point, because it would require reworking several of the new buildings, but it would have vastly improved access in the area.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 9:34 PM
TL;DR

I believe the long-running plan has been to close off Canal at the tracks and depress Clinton into an underpass. Northbound traffic on Canal would be shifted over to Clinton via the one-block segment of Milwaukee. It's unclear whether a pedestrian connection over the tracks would be maintained at Canal.

How long until Cassidy Tire sells out to a developer? I like the building but it could use some restoration.

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I believe the long-running plan has been to close off Canal at the tracks and depress Clinton into an underpass. Northbound traffic on Canal would be shifted over to Clinton via the one-block segment of Milwaukee. It's unclear whether a pedestrian connection over the tracks would be maintained at Canal.

How long until Cassidy Tire sells out to a developer? I like the building but it could use some restoration.
I's called Character

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
In my opinion, what the City should have been planning to do, and probably should already have done, is extend the Canal viaduct all the way to Kinzie, and create a bridge from Wolf Point to Fulton or over the Metra tracks all the way to Desplaines.
Make no little plans, eh. Interesting viaduct idea. I wonder (assuming increasing traffic and congestion warranted it) whether Kinzie could be double-decked west from Orleans to a double-decked Kinzie bridge or something. West of that you'd have to go under (or over?) the commuter tracks though.

Or could eastbound traffic could be routed through a rebuilt Carroll Street bridge?
Quote:
I believe the long-running plan has been to close off Canal at the tracks and depress Clinton into an underpass.
The commuter rail viaduct's footings seem like they would be a big obstacle in constructing a Clinton underpass -- so could this be a catalyst to force UP to rebuild their entire viaduct around here? I'm salivating at the possibility, and I also agree with the earlier post regarding sight lines, danger to cyclists, etc.

If a WLTC (Clinton alignment) requires excavation around here (as opposed to just tunnel bores), that doubles the case for getting UP to invest more money into their downtown-core infrastructure.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Pretty good ideas to solve the problem. Ideas which have been brought to the attention of the City repeatedly. The City has reacted with little more than band-aids to cover over the problem of trains, pedestrians, cars, trucks and bikes all fighting for clear passage on Kinzie and at the Canal and Clinton RR crossings and the other streets that "T" due to the shape of the Confluence.

Traffic will only get worse as the area becomes more developed. River Point will add 1M sq. ft. Wolf Point will add 4M sq. ft. The 6M sq. ft. at the Apparel Center and the Merchandise Mart are being re-purposed to add more intensive and exciting every-day uses of the existing structures. Even at night, the Fulton River/River North West area is starting to come alive. "If you build it, they will come."

But, the concern about traffic in the area is a little belated. With the use of the $30M+ TIF money at River Point to build a tunnel, the addition of a new traffic light at Canal and Kinzie, the recent refurbishing of the Kinzie Street Bridge and the fact that the greater use of a depressed Clinton would require yet another new traffic light at the "T" at Kinzie, I just don't see closing off Canal and depressing Clinton as being in the cards any time soon.

Also, I thought the City still hopes to reserve Carroll Street as a transitway for rapid transit (probably buses) from the railroad stations around Downtown to Michigan and Navy Pier - not as a one-way street parallel to Kinzie for cars, trucks, taxis and bikes.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 1:53 PM

^^ I walk this area a few times a week, will be out there again today. My personal peeve is the lack of sidewalk on the S side of Kinzie along the Merchandise Mart (Orleans/Wells). They have recently rebuilt the sidewalks at Canal/Kinzie.

I would like to see a pedestrian bridge put in with the old Carol st bridge. This would accomidate Wolf Point, and help channel current pedestrian traffic through wolf point.

possibly a light bridge that ran parralel to the existing one ?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:05 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
^^ I walk this area a few times a week, will be out there again today. My personal peeve is the lack of sidewalk on the S side of Kinzie along the Merchandise Mart (Orleans/Wells). They have recently rebuilt the sidewalks at Canal/Kinzie.

I would like to see a pedestrian bridge put in with the old Carol st bridge. This would accomidate Wolf Point, and help channel current pedestrian traffic through wolf point.

possibly a light bridge that ran parralel to the existing one ?
Absolutely.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:52 PM

I used the newly signalized Kinzie/Canal intersection today going to work. Noticed a potentially significant problem....they put in a left hand turn lane and arrow for the turn from westbound Kinzie to southbound Canal. The turn lane is only about one and a half cars long so if two or more vehicles are trying to turn it blocks westbound Kinzie. This was the case this morning through the one cycle of the light I witnessed with light traffic headed west.

I really think that the city should have prohibited that left turn and also signalized Clinton/Kinzie along with putting in a dedicated bike signal and much better lighting under the viaduct (dump the sodium vapor lamps).

With all the recent development in the west loop/river west and the potential for a whole lot more to go in CDOT really should be thinking things through a little bit better.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:16 PM

Gassman Presents Development For 3800 Block of N. Broadway

http://www.uptownupdate.com/2013/11/...-for-3800.html

Would it really have been hard to present something less hideous and they can't be seriously trying to plop that brick turd on top of the only building at the intersection with good character.

Density wise it looks ok, less parking would be good but at least it's all underground and access through the alley. Now if the pawn shop caddy corner can meet the same fate that the gas station will...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:
This area is a tough one. I used to live right up the block from there.

It always seemed sort of seedy (before Halted flats) even though it was just a few blocks north of a major entertainment area.

The added density will be great for the area, and the new construction should tidy it up a bit.

On the parking note, this area is beyond atrocious for parking. Anyone who was looking to rent out apartments or sell condos would be smart to have some level of dedicated parking. I always got around on transit, but visitors would spend up to an hour looking for parking just about any night of the week. I always thought if I built a building there, I would through a lot under it and soak up money on people's frustrations.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 5:17 PM

Quote:

http://www.uptownupdate.com/2013/11/...-for-3800.html

Would it really have been hard to present something less hideous and they can't be seriously trying to plop that brick turd on top of the only building at the intersection with good character.

Density wise it looks ok, less parking would be good but at least it's all underground and access through the alley. Now if the pawn shop caddy corner can meet the same fate that the gas station will...
Yikes. Here's one I'd far prefer to die on the drawing boards. I think this whole block is pretty nice as it is.

Wasn't something also proposed for the gas station on the NE corner across from the starbucks? In an ideal world that one would happen, and this gassman project would bite the dust, this thing is just awful.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 5:32 PM
BANNED

Fifield is still pushing the Kennedy Cap. More power to him.

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...08I5407689E4T#

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
This area is a tough one. I used to live right up the block from there.

It always seemed sort of seedy (before Halted flats) even though it was just a few blocks north of a major entertainment area.

The added density will be great for the area, and the new construction should tidy it up a bit.

On the parking note, this area is beyond atrocious for parking. Anyone who was looking to rent out apartments or sell condos would be smart to have some level of dedicated parking. I always got around on transit, but visitors would spend up to an hour looking for parking just about any night of the week. I always thought if I built a building there, I would through a lot under it and soak up money on people's frustrations.
That was in large part due to the Hotel Chateau - now closed ?
A memorable morning was when my (then) girlfriend had her car towed from Irving park - Snow route - no snow in sight - not for weeks after that. I spent many nights at her place until we got an apartment on Racine and Belmont - the parking mess extends that far west as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development