HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
It's the large bowl around the new stadium. Old one used to have 100,000 capacity.
the old one was a Rose Bowl clone

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:55 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Well sure its a brand new stadium, but the old one is still there. The new one was built inside as you can see in this picture.

The old hole is still there... Nothing of the old stadium remains otherwise. So I suppose you can say they saved money in not having to dig another hole, but otherwise, they built a completely new stadium (although they would have had deconstruction costs related to the old stadium). Makes for an interesting picture nonetheless.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:13 PM

I wonder what the drainage is like? it looks like everything would drain to the center in a rain storm

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:15 PM

PCL it is then...according to CJME

Quote:
The City of Regina has announced which of three bidders it wants to build a new stadium.

During a special meeting of the city's Executive Committee on Friday, city CFO Brent Sjoberg revealed that a group headed up by PCL Construction has been selected as the "preferred" builder for the $278 million project.

No other significant details were released. The city says the project is still technically in the "procurement" process, which means that specifics can't be released to the public.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
that is fantastic! I love how none of us caught that tidbit until you pointed it out

I read this story on the CBC this morning, total financing for Rider's stadium is budgeted at $664M over 30 years:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...gina-1.2571901
No surpises there. How much do you think you really pay for a $400,000 home on a 25 year mortgage?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
No surpises there. How much do you think you really pay for a $400,000 home on a 25 year mortgage?
Yeah, really. Throw in financing costs and maintenance and most of us are living in million dollar houses.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:37 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
According to the German Wikipedia it was "kompletter neubau" or completely new/re-built. The old stadium is no longer there at all. Granted it is still almost 15 yrs later, feels more recent though.
Ahhh, you are right. I was looking at the older pic's of the stadium that formed the bowl and figured they added the roof. I didn't notice in the newer pic's that the new stadium was IN the bowl of the old one.

Either way it would be a beautiful stadium if yours resembled the Red Bull facility. I cant wait to see it get underway.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
I wonder what the drainage is like? it looks like everything would drain to the center in a rain storm
It's right beside a river so it would be fairly straightforward.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Unlike the maroons who designed Sky dome, zee German Civil Engineers would have taken into account that it rains and you have to deal with water!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:04 PM

HKS designed Apogee Stadium in Texas. It has 31,000 seats and was completed in 2011 for $78 million! I realize our construction costs are way higher, but imagine what we could get for triple that amount.

http://www.hksinc.com/places/univers...pogee-stadium/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
HKS designed Apogee Stadium in Texas. It has 31,000 seats and was completed in 2011 for $78 million! I realize our construction costs are way higher, but imagine what we could get for triple that amount.

http://www.hksinc.com/places/univers...pogee-stadium/
Also notice in the far endzone "Mean Green"

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 8:17 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it doesn't have a roof. May explain the budget. Actually, it would explain the budget - a lot.

In all honesty, you guys need to be looking at what quality level of Stadium Winnipeg ended up with. Take the total Winnipeg construction cost at the year the contract was signed. Add about 5% for annual construction inflation, to get to 2014 dollars.

I don't think the budgets between the two projects are that far off in 2014 dollars. And what ever difference there is, will allow you to get a handle on how much *more* extravagant the Regina stadium will be versus Winnipeg.

Last edited by drew; Mar 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ it doesn't have a roof. May explain the budget. Actually, it would explain the budget - a lot.

In all honesty, you guys need to be looking at what quality level of Stadium Winnipeg ended up with. Take the total Winnipeg construction cost at the year the contract was signed. Add about 5% for annual construction inflation, to get to 2014 dollars.

I don't think the budgets between the two projects are that far off in 2014 dollars. And what ever difference there is, will allow you to get a handle on how much *more* extravagant the Regina stadium will be versus Winnipeg.
At that inflation it was $224,910,000 in 2014 dollars. Now we have a budget minus site work of $250,000,000 so little over $25,000,000 more extravagant. $25M is a lot of money, but not really when in this case.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

actually the construction cost index has been holding steady at an annual escalation rate of 2.4%

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
At that inflation it was $224,910,000 in 2014 dollars. Now we have a budget minus site work of $250,000,000 so little over $25,000,000 more extravagant. $25M is a lot of money, but not really when in this case.
Where did you get that $25 million figure and does not every stadium have site work?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Where did you get that $25 million figure and does not every stadium have site work?
Yes everyone does, and I read it in today's CBC's article.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:12 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Yes everyone does, and I read it in today's CBC's article.
The prep you are mentioning better also include digging the hole and everything because $25 mill for what was done would be highway robbery.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The prep you are mentioning better also include digging the hole and everything because $25 mill for what was done would be highway robbery.
I would certainly hope so as well. The first stuff they have done should be well under $1M

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:32 PM

at an annual construction cost index of 2.4%
70 million more would be spent on the Regina stadium.
there's really gonna be no comparison between the two.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 10:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
at an annual construction cost index of 2.4%
70 million more would be spent on the Regina stadium.
there's really gonna be no comparison between the two.
Winnipeg's actual cost was $204 million.

In any event the comparison is still there. Climate, seating, roof, location, etc. etc.

There is no need to compare and wonder the budgets of European Stadiums or American NFL/college stadiums when your best comparison (like it or not) is several hundred kilometres down the road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan