HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 3:57 AM

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Any chance you can add the actual article to your post? I'd really like to read it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Any chance you can add the actual article to your post? I'd really like to read it.
Just this once, since I don't like ripping off.the WFP haha.

Marine research facility unveiled in Churchill
By: Jura McIlraith
Posted: 8:16 PM CDT Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2024

Manitoba’s first marine research facility is expected to boost industry, jobs and knowledge in the northern community of Churchill.

The University of Manitoba celebrated the grand opening of the Churchill Marine Observatory Tuesday, located near Hudson Bay, the only Arctic deep-water port in North America and the first of its kind in the world.

The facility will help detect and mitigate oil spills while also researching how to support Arctic marine transportation and climate change.

The Churchill Marine Observatory is the first of its kind in the world.

“It’s really great to get out and understand and further learn about it,” said Brendan McEwan, director of operations for Frontiers North Adventures, a Churchill travel company. “I’ve known about the wildlife and the area but to get out and hear it from a different perspective and dive a little deeper into it is really great.”

McEwan, who is also president of the Churchill Chamber of Commerce, said the observatory will create more opportunity in the town of nearly 900.

The observatory, funded in part by $45 million from the Canada Foundation for Innovation and the provinces of Manitoba and Alberta, has three main focuses and facilities.

The Ocean-Sea Ice Mesocosm uses outdoor pools for controlled experiments of oil spills.

The Environmental Observing System is a series of moorings placed along the shipping route in Hudson Bay. Sensors are able to monitor salinity, temperature, currents and water quality.

The William Kennedy research vessel can hold a dozen people on board and is run in partnership with the Arctic Research Foundation. Because of its smaller size, the ship is able to host research expeditions along coastal environments.

C.J. Mundy, professor of biological oceanography at the U of M, said changing ice cover means potential for more shipping, which is already being seen across the Arctic. With that comes the potential for accidents, like oil spills or the introduction of invasive species.

“We’re at a timely position having this set up to be able to provide research on the issues to be able to provide decision makers (with) the right information that they need,” Mundy said over the phone from a Churchill hotel. “The potential for the research I think is (coming) at the right time and will be helping push Canada, and the province in particular, towards economic opportunities.”

Mundy said he spent the first half of his career convincing people why oceanography should be studied in Manitoba.

Churchill Mayor Mike Spence echoed those sentiments, adding many don’t consider Manitoba a maritime province.

“People forget that Manitoba has an ocean on its northern border, so this is a strength for us all,” said Spence. “We’ll continue to do our part in terms of showing the path forward.”

jura.mcilraith@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 1:50 PM

Phenomenal news that the new Desautels Concert Hall is ready to go. New 408 person concert hall that can take full orchestras, choirs and operas. I personally can't wait to check out a show there.

https://winnipeg.citynews.ca/video/2...pen-at-u-of-m/

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 3:11 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

found out yesterday in nelson house a group has started building cuboards theyre still setting up their pricing and website aparently but what ive seen they actuakly look nice and its solid using plywood rather then MDF

was sent some photos

meetahncn.ca is their hardware store i need to stop in and see what they have but figured this worth putting on radar of some folks here that do stuff in northern mb

1-(204)-484-2340 and ask for Gert i was told

anyhow myself prolly guna call and find out as im still puttering on my own houses here in lynn

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 2:39 PM

Update piece on the ground-level silica sand development (NOT Sio Silica):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ding-1.7327226

Looks like it could be a win-win-win situation of the company finds the funding to get it done.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 4:19 PM

I believe the Prince Albert Victoria Hospital project is the largest non-industrial build in SK right now at $900 million. PCL is the lead.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 1:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Lots of activity in lynn lake now.
t sigerson is in town rebuilding the road into mclelan. Also setting up the new core yard. The old power poles are being ripped out now

There was a couple multchures droped at the east end of town hydros got crews out at lori doing upgrades

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Lots of activity in lynn lake now.
t sigerson is in town rebuilding the road into mclelan. Also setting up the new core yard. The old power poles are being ripped out now

There was a couple multchures droped at the east end of town hydros got crews out at lori doing upgrades
So are the gold mines re-opening? Will there be an influx of people moving to town for work? And are there sufficient accomodations for prospective workers?

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.ht...ted=2024-10-02

October 2, 2024
Premier Welcomes President of General Motors Canada to Manitoba

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew welcomed the president and managing director of General Motors (GM) of Canada Company to the province to showcase what Manitoba has to offer.

“Manitoba is ready to partner with companies like General Motors to fuel our low-carbon economy into the future,” said Kinew. “With our wealth of critical minerals, strong hydro grid and skilled workforce, we are in a unique position to become a leader in the world’s low-carbon economy. We are excited to welcome General Motors to Manitoba to show what we can offer.”

Kristian Aquilina, the president and managing director of GM Canada, is visiting Manitoba to meet with the premier and provincial business leaders, and tour the Vale Mine in Thompson during the trip.

“GM cars and trucks have always been a favourite of Manitobans and as we expand our portfolio of electric vehicles, we applaud the province for the introduction of consumer purchase incentives that will help accelerate electric vehicle adoption,” said Aquilina. “I look forward to meeting with Premier Kinew to discuss GM’s continued support of business growth in Canada and how GM and the Manitoba government can continue to work collaboratively to support the EV market in the province.”

Manitoba is home to 30 of the 34 minerals on Canada’s 2024 critical minerals list including lithium, graphite, nickel, cobalt, copper and rare earth elements. Critical minerals are crucial for Manitoba’s growth as a low-carbon leader and essential to developing clean technologies, energy storage systems, electric vehicles and other technologies that advance net-zero targets, the premier noted.

To learn more about Manitoba’s economic advantages and strategic investments, visit: https://manitoba.ca/investmb/resources/.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Variance for a construction camp in lynn lale for the alamos gold mine

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan