HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Infill at St Andrew and Sydney proceeding. Not sure what it is just yet, but I assume it'll be 2-3 floors and residential. https://imgur.com/a/bj2HvaJ
How are your projects coming along any updates or eta on a start? One near Waterloo and if I remember correctly you were doing some renos/conversions around Harding St. as well.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Agreed, lots of places in the uptown that would benefit.

How about the corner of Union and Coberg?
Another uptown location that would seem to be crying out for something to be built is the northwest corner of Charlotte and Princess that was left vacant several years ago after a fire.

Too often fires in SJ's uptown seem to result in gravel parking lots rather than new buildings.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Another uptown location that would seem to be crying out for something to be built is the northwest corner of Charlotte and Princess that was left vacant several years ago after a fire.

Too often fires in SJ's uptown seem to result in gravel parking lots rather than new buildings.
I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one, IOL bought it during the construction of their HQ and they don’t have the best record of Uptown development.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:56 PM
New Brunswick booster!

The fire = empty lot seems to be common in a lot of cities. Even the big ones. In centuries past the lot wouldn't even have time to cool before framing was up for a new building.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 2:56 PM

Irving's habit of sitting on vacant land in the PDA and doing nothing with it has to stop. Why they don't develop or sell lots like this is beyond me. How does it benefit them? This should be a premium mixed-use building and it's been gravel for a decade. They're not the only guilty party, but they're the only one that could spin up a vertically-integrated development company overnight.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Irving's habit of sitting on vacant land in the PDA and doing nothing with it has to stop. Why they don't develop or sell lots like this is beyond me. How does it benefit them? This should be a premium mixed-use building and it's been gravel for a decade. They're not the only guilty party, but they're the only one that could spin up a vertically-integrated development company overnight.
It wouldn't be so bad if these vacant properties were assessed at fair market value and taxed appropriately.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 7:03 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't be so bad if these vacant properties were assessed at fair market value and taxed appropriately.
Assessed at $97,200, tax bill of $4,589. The three lots at Union and Waterloo are only assessed at $37,100 and taxed at only $1,692. Dozens more examples. Those are JDI owned, but still. Pennies.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 12:02 AM
amalgamated

Quote:
Assessed at $97,200, tax bill of $4,589. The three lots at Union and Waterloo are only assessed at $37,100 and taxed at only $1,692. Dozens more examples. Those are JDI owned, but still. Pennies.
Have any political parties actually talked about taxation issues regarding vacant land? It's not something the city can really do anything about, as far as i know.

Now would seem to be the time to try and pressure the parties running to make more explicit promises regarding comprehensive tax reform and make it an election issue.

I know Susan Holt's Liberals have promised to bring about comprehensive tax reform, but I'm not too sure on the details of their intended reforms.

Municipalities should have the power and authority to increase taxes on vacant property, along with being able to set different rates for different types of commercial and industrial properties.

I know it's a boring issue, but damn is it an important one, and more people need to speak up on this issue to make it more important in the election than some of these other far less consequential issues which seem to be getting far more attention.

The need for tax reform is near the top of the list in terms political and economic issues impacting Saint John, hopefully it becomes a much bigger election issue than it's seemed to be so far in the lead up to the campaign.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 11:00 AM

Saint John is calling for a review of the Provincial Fire Marshal's office following the debacle that was the boardwalk patio opening.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...shal-1.7279843

It seems like there may be a bit of a God complex in the provincial office. They deputize local FD's to make these inspections (so they don't have to) but then can step in and change the outcome on a whim.

Businesses deserve to be able to get a a fire inspection and know with certainty whether or not they have passed.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 2:33 PM

115-119 Hazen, the former Medical Arts building, was purchased in January for $180,000 (by an unknown party) and is currently being totally gutted to the studs.

IIRC, it came with plans for ~17 apartments. No idea what the plan is, but it's probably safe to assume it's going to be all or mostly residential. Kind of an interesting property as it's got an elevator shaft already.

Not to drag the conversation back to the state of Waterloo Village, but between this, the 1 Bayard Drive conversion (25 units + 8 in a later phase), and the larger St. Vincent's (40?) and Steepleview (56) projects (plus my own 54-unit not yet started, a little to the northwest), Saint John will have to improve the state of things. Close to 200 new units coming online, including 33 dedicated to seniors and probably 30% or more designated affordable.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:16 PM

Quote:
115-119 Hazen, the former Medical Arts building, was purchased in January for $180,000 (by an unknown party) and is currently being totally gutted to the studs.

IIRC, it came with plans for ~17 apartments. No idea what the plan is, but it's probably safe to assume it's going to be all or mostly residential. Kind of an interesting property as it's got an elevator shaft already.

Not to drag the conversation back to the state of Waterloo Village, but between this, the 1 Bayard Drive conversion (25 units + 8 in a later phase), and the larger St. Vincent's (40?) and Steepleview (56) projects (plus my own 54-unit not yet started, a little to the northwest), Saint John will have to improve the state of things. Close to 200 new units coming online, including 33 dedicated to seniors and probably 30% or more designated affordable.

But who will want to live in those units if the current situation on the street continues?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 9:57 PM

Quote:
But who will want to live in those units if the current situation on the street continues?
With Area911 closing down, more foot patrols by police and all this new construction/renos - it will move the needle in the right direction. That “broken window” concept

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 4:50 PM

Just saw that the mayor posted on Facebook that CAM institute of design are the one's who are renovating the old TJ building on Crown. They are currently located on Rothesay Avenue. Nice to see them move uptown

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 12:14 PM

Green zones.....coming soon to a neighbourhood near you.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ones-1.7290105

I can just imagine the "public consultation"

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 3:38 PM

The mayor posted this on social media today. It's a image to get an idea of the scale of the new South Central Peninsula school at Rainbow Park.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 3:40 PM

I’m pumped about the new school! I remember advocating for it over 10-15 years ago, and now to see it this far along is huge! Plus the site layout above has virtually no off suburban-style setbacks, it’s right up by the sidewalk where it belongs, truly filling the block.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
I’m pumped about the new school! I remember advocating for it over 10-15 years ago, and now to see it this far along is huge! Plus the site layout above has virtually no off suburban-style setbacks, it’s right up by the sidewalk where it belongs, truly filling the block.
I 100% agree. This should make infill across Charlotte more appealing. IIRC Victor Train owns all that vacant land. With this school finally starting, Saint John needs a plan to do something with the Prince Charles site (demolish and build mixed-use/mixed-income?) and the St. John the Baptist/King Edward site (residential conversion with infill in behind?) well before they're vacated.

I wonder if we'll see a (NON-PLAZA) public space appear anywhere featuring perhaps a dog park (to disappear under the school) and beach volleyball courts (removed from Market Slip), both of which got substantial use at rather low cost to the taxpayer.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 1:45 PM

It looks like the existing dog park at rainbow park will be relocated. There are renderings here: https://shapeyourcitysaintjohn.ca/ra...gement-session

It would be great to see volleyball courts uptown again!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Infill at St Andrew and Sydney proceeding. Not sure what it is just yet, but I assume it'll be 2-3 floors and residential. https://imgur.com/a/bj2HvaJ
Spoke to the builder-- 3 floor, 3-unit (all 2-bed/2-bath ~1700sf) market apartments. Same owner as the adjacent 180-182 Sydney. Same builder as the Church St apartments over west, should be decent quality.

Good infill in a good location- you don't see many sub-6-unit apartments go up.

192 Sydney just to the south is also being gutted. Was purchased in February this year. Presumably will be SFH or a duplex.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngal View Post
It looks like the existing dog park at rainbow park will be relocated. There are renderings here: https://shapeyourcitysaintjohn.ca/ra...gement-session

It would be great to see volleyball courts uptown again!
Looks great to me, as above I think this whole development is very exciting and decades overdue! It will be interesting to see the full school design, it stands to be at least 4 floors I believe, given the footprint.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces