HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

300 North LaSalle in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 12:54 PM
BANNED

This one's just annoying, the roof's taking longer than it did to build the rest of the building. They must've hired the same crew to finish the roof that did OMPW's foundation.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
it's darker during the day than I expected, which I like

you can see why against that backdrop of all that painted concrete
I think it would be great for Chicago, aesthetically and functionally, to get a lot more large office buildings north of the river. Do what New York did a century ago, when companies moved from Downtown to Midtown (though obviously in Chicago the two neighborhoods are adjacent.

The post office and that under-utilized land around McDonald's would be great spots for office towers.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
This one's just annoying, the roof's taking longer than it did to build the rest of the building. They must've hired the same crew to finish the roof that did OMPW's foundation.
They are making a bit of progress. Looks like they are about finished off with the north side and have even done a corner on the west side (Northwest side).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I think it would be great for Chicago, aesthetically and functionally, to get a lot more large office buildings north of the river. Do what New York did a century ago, when companies moved from Downtown to Midtown (though obviously in Chicago the two neighborhoods are adjacent.

The post office and that under-utilized land around McDonald's would be great spots for office towers.
I could be wrong, but I think that the reason for NYC's split between Downtown and Midtown has to do with the bedrock being closer to the surface and thus you are able to build taller towers (the exception being WTC).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilestone75 View Post
I could be wrong, but I think that the reason for NYC's split between Downtown and Midtown has to do with the bedrock being closer to the surface and thus you are able to build taller towers (the exception being WTC).
naw, they can build skyscrapers "anywhere"... I would think it would be more of a case of available real estate?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

As part of the Central Area Plan of 2003, there is a conscious effort to encourage very high density (base FAR > 12.0) mixed-use, including office, development about as far north as Kinzie/Hubbard, and about as far west as Desplaines as part of the "expanded" loop core. This is bearing some fruit in the office market with 353 Clark, 300 LaSalle, and 200 Riverside, perhaps eventually also to include 150 Riverside and Wolf Point. Too far north and you lose the extreme transit accessibility of the loop core: development in these areas requires ever-increasing amounts of off-street parking, unfortunately in contrast to Midtown circa the turn of the century. But thankfully, the intense density of the loop proper is indeed set to expand outwards, including at least a couple blocks north of the river and several blocks to the west.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 12:39 AM

Nov 11

Nov 12

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 12:53 AM
BANNED

edit

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 12:57 AM
BANNED

[

Nov 12
[/QUOTE]

God I hate walgreen's development paradigm...single story shlock

That thing should go......

I wish they would take a clue from CVS at least in the neighborhoods....the CVS at Lawrence and Damen while not great is better than single story parking heaven

By all rights Walgreens should be coerced into fitting better into an urban environment

They should have a tower downtown too!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:52 AM
TL;DR

^^ Well, you should get your wish in the next 6 years or so. John Buck is tearing down the 5-story historic buildings across the street for a plaza. After that, Buck plans to build another shiny glass office tower on the Walgreens site.

I've seen several renderings for it - I believe Guajardo REC was doing the design, as opposed to Goettsch, which has designed half of all the new buildings on Wacker Drive.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
I wish they would take a clue from CVS at least in the neighborhoods....the CVS at Lawrence and Damen while not great is better than single story parking heaven
CVS is just as bad, if not worse (around where I live at least): CVS at Chicago and Milwaukee that is placed ever so awkwardly into its asphalt ocean so as to make as inefficient a use out of the land it occupies, replete with suburban-style landscaping BS. Oh, and it's literally 30 feet from the Chicago Blue Line stop. See also the CVS northwest of Milwaukee and Western--blatant inconsideration for urban design.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:33 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
[God I hate walgreen's development paradigm...single story shlock
Well if it wasnt for that Walgreens would wouldnt have that amazing urban view straight from the city, those come pretty rare these days.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:45 AM
The City

^ Yeah, I don't mind one story buildings in thick highrise jungles. They give some balance and a chance to actually see some of the architecture around you.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 3:59 AM

this is from tonight

good lord this lense sucks

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 4:53 AM
Ex Houstonian

Why does that lens suck? Looks pretty good to me, theres a little but of a flare on some of the lights but i think it looks great. What lens is it? Nikon, Canon 18-70mm or something like that?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 4:56 AM

oh its just a nikon coolpix 4600

christmas present 2004

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:26 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Well if it wasnt for that Walgreens would wouldnt have that amazing urban view straight from the city, those come pretty rare these days.
The old buildings to the left of the Walgreens (called the Lake-Franklin Block) are landmarked, so those aren't going anywhere. There are also 2 or 3 short parking garages behind the Walgreens that probably aren't going anywhere either... that "open sky" space in the middle of the Loop should be mostly preserved, just with some shiny new buildings inserted around it.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
What's the visual effect on the cars and pedestrians here? Or is this just a result of photostitch? You're getting sci-fi on us here harry.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
What's the visual effect on the cars and pedestrians here? Or is this just a result of photostitch? You're getting sci-fi on us here harry.
HDR effect - http://www.hdrsoft.com/ - great for buildings, not so good for people and other moving objects.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 4:02 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Nice shot, but I agree Walgreens must go.

Harry your HDRing makes it look like the cars are caked in our wonderful mix of rainy/slushy snow. intentions aside, its kind of a cool wintery texture that got added in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive