HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:33 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Not sure what you are looking at. Streetview there is at least 3 years old. The large white and yellow building (Grain Show Bldg.) on Elphinstone burned down several years ago.
Was looking at this. Streetview doesn't say how old it is.

EDIT: Can't seem to copy the URL of the image. There is a construction site on the west end of 9th Avenue in that area.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:39 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
So are they going to be beginning heavy construction before the design is released to the public? That may be in the best interest of the businesses involved, but certainly not the best interest of the public. I was under the impression that they were going to release the renders this fall. Didn't the premier or mayor say that earlier this year?
They are just going some site-prep/utility work. Sasktel/Saskpower/Sask Energy would have to be in on moving those utilities anyway, so may as well cover that off now.

I believe as far as deadlines go though, the submissions are due in Dec, and a design hosed early next year, construction to follow shortly after.

From the sounds of what some are saying, we may only see the winning design though, so that will become public next year.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:41 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

EDIT: Can't seem to copy the URL of the image. There is a construction site on the west end of 9th Avenue in that area.
Co-operators Centre. If you look at the overhead map, that's already finished (and it's where most of the Grey Cup team parties were held).

Last edited by Nathan; Nov 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

Its going here in between the park to the west, Elphinstone to the east, 10th Ave to the north (which will be extended west from Elphinstone) and the CP tracks to the south.

The construction site you probably are seeing is for the Cooperators Centre just NW of the new stadium site.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 8:08 PM

At first I wondered if Riverman meant 10th Avenue west of Elphinstone, because there is certainly some work going on there right now. Moving utilities, I suppose?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 12:18 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
The construction site you probably are seeing is for the Cooperators Centre just NW of the new stadium site.
Yes, that is the place.

A central, easily accessible location is the best place for a stadium.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I'm not sure certain teams would like that system. BC and Toronto have historically hosted the game far more frequently than that and it provides a pretty good boost to their earnings when they do, so I'd see them protesting if they were forced to host the game as much as Hamilton or Ottawa.
The league has stated Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto will have more frequent rotations due to corporate reach and facilities each city has. The West Grey Cups make money, the big city ones pull in corporate money and sponsors into the league.

For us plebs... the fans, drinking in a tent in Regina is a ton of fun, but for corporate partners of the league they want high end schmoozing that only big cities can offer.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 7:14 PM
ARTchitecture

That is some bull shit. It should be equal, that is really lame.

But sorry, why wouldn't Calgary be included in the list of cities you mentioned? I'm pretty sure this city has more corporate clout than Vancouver, and nearly as much, if not as much as Montreal.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 7:52 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
That is some bull shit. It should be equal, that is really lame.

But sorry, why wouldn't Calgary be included in the list of cities you mentioned? I'm pretty sure this city has more corporate clout than Vancouver, and nearly as much, if not as much as Montreal.
The league has not stated that Van, Tor, and Mon will have an increased rotation. Afterall, since '95, Montreal and Toronto have hosted twice, and Regina thrice.

Vancouver has hosted more, but this next year, they are filling in as Winnipeg/Ottawa were supposed to host, but for obvious reasons, aren't ready yet.

The league has stated that a basically equal rotation is the goal. Besides, seeing as the CFL is basically a board, all other teams would never go for that since the Grey Cup is a major revenue stream. Further, the CFL wouldn't be getting the investment in stadiums from cities/provinces without the premise that a Grey Cup will be hosted regularly.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 8:37 PM
ARTchitecture

That is good to hear. I'm looking forward to Regina's new stadium design, and hopefully a few years after that, Calgary will release its future design, or a plan for a overhaul of McMahon.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
That is good to hear. I'm looking forward to Regina's new stadium design, and hopefully a few years after that, Calgary will release its future design, or a plan for a overhaul of McMahon.
McMahon is the worst stadium in the league and in 2017 it will be by a wide margin. I can't see calgarians accepting that for long.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 1:12 AM

Quote:
McMahon is the worst stadium in the league and in 2017 it will be by a wide margin. I can't see calgarians accepting that for long.
I was talking to the Stampeders VP during Grey Cup Week. Expect some sort of announcement regarding major renos to McMahon or a new stadium and arena complex for the Flames Stamps in early 2014.
The owners do not want to be lease holders (U of C owns the stadium and the Stampede Corporation owns the Saddledome) anymore.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 2:41 AM
ARTchitecture

Hmmm, worse than Mosaic? Really? I dunno about that. I have heard some things about the bathrooms there

In regards to Vanriderfan's statement above, there has been speculation to exactly that effect over the past year. People are expecting the announcement to be a stadium district proposal somewhere in Calgary's West Village, west of Sunalta Station, probably between the tracks and the river.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, worse than Mosaic? Really? I dunno about that. I have heard some things about the bathrooms there

In regards to Vanriderfan's statement above, there has been speculation to exactly that effect over the past year. People are expecting the announcement to be a stadium district proposal somewhere in Calgary's West Village, west of Sunalta Station, probably between the tracks and the river.
Definitely worse than Mosaic, especially since the $16 million spent on the Grey Cup Legacy program. Mosaic's washrooms suck, especially on the east side, but that is partially because it is always sold out. I have been to McMahon when it is sold out and the washrooms are a disaster.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The league has not stated that Van, Tor, and Mon will have an increased rotation. Afterall, since '95, Montreal and Toronto have hosted twice, and Regina thrice.

Vancouver has hosted more, but this next year, they are filling in as Winnipeg/Ottawa were supposed to host, but for obvious reasons, aren't ready yet.

The league has stated that a basically equal rotation is the goal. Besides, seeing as the CFL is basically a board, all other teams would never go for that since the Grey Cup is a major revenue stream. Further, the CFL wouldn't be getting the investment in stadiums from cities/provinces without the premise that a Grey Cup will be hosted regularly.
1994-2013
Over the past 20 seasons, each city (except Hamilton...and Ottawa, but it didn't have a team for 12 of these years) has hosted the Grey Cup at least twice. Vancouver (4...not including 2014); Edmonton (3); & Regina (3) are over-represented at the moment.

8 out of 20 Grey Cups during this period were played indoors.

The West Division hosted 12 out of 20 during this period.

1998-2017
If we assume the Legaue will want to showcase new stadiums/teams Winnipeg (2015), Hamilton (2016), & Ottawa (2017 - for Canada150)... then over the preceding 20 seasons, each team (except Hamilton) will host have hosted the Grey Cup at least twice. Vancouver (4) and Winnipeg (3) will be over-represented. And, again, 8 out of 20 Grey Cups during this period will be held indoors. The West Division will have hosted 11 out of 20 during this period.

Conclusion
While not perfect, and taking into account these are simply snapshots in time, seems to me that the CFL has balanced Indoor/Outdoor and East/West pretty well. Vancouver seems to host slightly more often, which skews both the indoor/outdoor balance, and the East/West balance.

(I guess if Ottawa gets it in 2017, they'll be slightly overrepresented, given that they'll only have been active 8 out of the precding 20 seasons...so they'll have hosted once every 4 years... )

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Definitely worse than Mosaic, especially since the $16 million spent on the Grey Cup Legacy program. Mosaic's washrooms suck, especially on the east side, but that is partially because it is always sold out. I have been to McMahon when it is sold out and the washrooms are a disaster.
McMahon being worse than east side Mosaic almost boggles the mind. The choke points at the portal entrances to the stands and the crud dripping from the roof (aka floor of the stands) during GC were quite bad. Had to walk around with my hand over my beer for fear of whatever the dripping "liquid" was getting in my beer

Not sure of the calgary situation but what I gather from reading the stampeder fan forums is that the private owners (same owners as the flames) are cheaping out and nickel and diming fans to death. I'm not sure who owns McMahon and who would be buiding anything new in Calgary? But, yeah, if the poor cousins, Regina and Winnipeg, have new stadiums - I can't see McMahon sitting too well for too long.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 12:13 AM

They are breaking up all the old concrete floor from the old Grain Show Building as we speak. It's very exciting to see all this activity on the stadium site!!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
McMahon being worse than east side Mosaic almost boggles the mind. The choke points at the portal entrances to the stands and the crud dripping from the roof (aka floor of the stands) during GC were quite bad. Had to walk around with my hand over my beer for fear of whatever the dripping "liquid" was getting in my beer

Not sure of the calgary situation but what I gather from reading the stampeder fan forums is that the private owners (same owners as the flames) are cheaping out and nickel and diming fans to death. I'm not sure who owns McMahon and who would be buiding anything new in Calgary? But, yeah, if the poor cousins, Regina and Winnipeg, have new stadiums - I can't see McMahon sitting too well for too long.
University of Calgary owns McMahon. (built in 1961 for 1.5 million and took a year and a half to build)

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:09 AM
ARTchitecture

As such, McMahon probably won't be demolished, it will just stay on as the stadium specifically for the university. That's what I would imagine anyways? At least for a while.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:23 PM

Mosaic's 10 year naming right deal appears to end at about the same time the new stadium is slated to open - June 2016... original deal was $3.75million.

Inflation alone brings that up to $4.2million. Apply 2 Grey Cup wins, and significant increase in the team's value (merchandise, tickets sales, etc) and a much improved stadium - any guesses what the new naming right deal might be worth? $5million/10yrs seems like the bare minimum, IMHO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan