HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

One Burrard Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pic by me today. (Hopefully it can be hidden!)
The crane was hidden today.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 2:56 AM

I guess the east facade is fine as well.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Pic by me today. (Hopefully it can be hidden!)
Quote:
The crane was hidden today.
One day someone will capture it being raised and lowered.

Image credit to officedweller Post #2039

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 11:09 PM

Someone gave me notice of this building.... IAC Building.... Street View Google Maps
Interesting

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 11:09 PM

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 11:52 PM

I have always maintained that this building will have probably the best views in town. Tall enough to see past any surrounding buildings now and in the future. The view has everything; the city, the mountains and the ocean. Location on top of the Downtown hill will give it extra 10 floors on height vs. towers closer to the shore. Even Vancouver House looks short from here.

That is going to be one massive penthouse for someone to live in.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 8:38 PM

Office Tower front Entrance

I think they're back on track. 12:16 pm today.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 4:26 PM

Last edited by Burrardbuilder; Jul 22, 2021 at 2:07 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrardbuilder View Post
Hi everyone. I work on one of this building in the management side. Ask me anything.

Obviously i cannot answer with sensitive information but ill try to give a good idea
How did ever come to be that the builder used the wrong concrete?

The list of approvals required on concrete mix is so long, I'm genuinely curious how this could have occurred and not been caught along the half dozen or so approvals that it would have went through.

I can appreciate if the answer to this is too detailed to give away online.

Cheers.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 10:19 PM

What is your timeline for the streetscape (mostly Drake) improvements? Fingers crossed before the winter!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
How did ever come to be that the builder used the wrong concrete?

The list of approvals required on concrete mix is so long, I'm genuinely curious how this could have occurred and not been caught along the half dozen or so approvals that it would have went through.

I can appreciate if the answer to this is too detailed to give away online.

Cheers.
Hi Rofina. There is quite a history on this white concrete.

The specification of the original white concrete is a high flow concrete mix which requires a mix inhibitor that results to super high temperature when curing.
In addition, the waffle wall (what we call the facade that looks like honeycomb) is part of the overall cycle of the slab pour which needs to be 7 days.
As some of the columns in the waffle wall are imperative to the schedule cycle, they require to be stripped down within days of pour.
Also, the intent on the white concrete is that once stripped, it would not require sacking and grinding, and would only need to be sealed.

Now, here are the four main reasons why the white concrete was changed to the gray concrete.
1. the pour from Level 1-9 (which was up to where the white concrete was poured) was poured in the summer of 2018. The high heat curing nature of the white concrete plus the heat in the summer resulted to major crackings on the beams of the waffle wall. Rebars became exposed and it presented a great challenge in both deficiency work and structural/envelope redesign.
2. The high flow concrete takes 11-12 days cycle which is a problem on scheduling. The cycle per slab pour was suppose to be 7 days. As with any other construction, the structure (until the finishes hit) is the critical path of the project.
3. The white concrete is exponentially expensive. The costs difference between changing to "gray" concrete with white elastomeric and traffic coating, vs pure white concrete is substantial and is a benefit to the developers. Obviously, the redesign presented new set challenges but thats for another discussion.
4. It was observed that the crackings on white concrete continued to occur 4-5 weeks after stripping. It was an engineering nightmare for both structural and envelope to mitigate and fix the cracks.

From Level 10 up to the top, the concrete will be gray with a coat of both elastomeric and traffic (alsans) coating.

Hopefully this answers the question.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
What is your timeline for the streetscape (mostly Drake) improvements? Fingers crossed before the winter!
Hi idunno. The drake street redesign as also have a long history.

To answer your question, the intent of the General Contractor is to complete Drake street by September/October this year. Now this is just an intent as the completion of the Drake street works is required for the occupancy of the building.
To be realistic however, the works will not be done until Nov/Dec this year. There are two reasons why:

1. Drake street is both used by the two towers for bringing in materials. One burrard commercial (Drake and Burrard) cannot close Burrard street as the city will not allow them to do so. Same goes for One burrard residential (Drake and Hornby), but Hornby is already closed one way. It is a logistical nightmare to close down the entire drake street for both towers under construction
2. The city has their own requirements with the closure of the street. The work that was suppose to have a duration of 3.5 months will now take 5 months.

The roadworks also wenth through several redesigns, and the pricing between the subcontractor and the GC was stuck in limbo for a while. I was not part of the actual pricing, but the final drawings was issued early 2020, but the pricing was not finalized until early 2021.

Hopefully this answers the question

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 2:48 PM

RE: the marble facade placement. Is there some pre-planning on which panels go where or does that just happen on-site by someone? I don't find it that bad and the area covered is substantially larger than all the other placements people mentioned.

Also is there any hope for external lighting feature along the spine of the tower or on the top?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
RE: the marble facade placement. Is there some pre-planning on which panels go where or does that just happen on-site by someone? I don't find it that bad and the area covered is substantially larger than all the other placements people mentioned.

Also is there any hope for external lighting feature along the spine of the tower or on the top?
Hi jollyburger. Absolutely, there is preplanning on these facade.

These stones are developer sourced stones that the GC only need to install. It came from overseas and each stone are labelled on which area to go to, and which orientation they need to be installed. In addition, prior to completely sealing and grouting the stones, the architect and dev made an inspection to ensure that the stones are in the right place.

Personally, I do not like the stones and the orientation seems off. The dev goal is to make the stone blend in with the interior of the southeast building which will also get a similar (albeit subcontractor supplied) wall stone

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post

Hi jollyburger. I forgot to respond to your lighting question. Yes, there is a light that goes vertically at the south face of the building. These are wall mounted lights and will look beautiful at night!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Hi idunno. The drake street redesign as also have a long history.

To answer your question, the intent of the General Contractor is to complete Drake street by September/October this year. Now this is just an intent as the completion of the Drake street works is required for the occupancy of the building.
To be realistic however, the works will not be done until Nov/Dec this year. There are two reasons why:

1. Drake street is both used by the two towers for bringing in materials. One burrard commercial (Drake and Burrard) cannot close Burrard street as the city will not allow them to do so. Same goes for One burrard residential (Drake and Hornby), but Hornby is already closed one way. It is a logistical nightmare to close down the entire drake street for both towers under construction
2. The city has their own requirements with the closure of the street. The work that was suppose to have a duration of 3.5 months will now take 5 months.

The roadworks also wenth through several redesigns, and the pricing between the subcontractor and the GC was stuck in limbo for a while. I was not part of the actual pricing, but the final drawings was issued early 2020, but the pricing was not finalized until early 2021.

Hopefully this answers the question
Thank you very much for the detailed response! Can't wait for the project/adjacent street improvements to be completed.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 5:24 PM

Completion date

Hello Burrard builder,

I was wondering if a completion date has been announced yet?
Would be nice to know so that I can plan my move
Thank you

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaminea View Post
Hello Burrard builder,

I was wondering if a completion date has been announced yet?
Would be nice to know so that I can plan my move
Thank you
Hi Vitaminea,

As we are still in the state of Covid-19, it is difficult to pinpoint the actual completion and occupancy date of the Tower. To give you an insight, however, the GC is aiming for an occupancy (where people can move in) from mid tower to parkade at the end of september. They call this phased occupancy as the tower does not have the full occupancy.

The second part of the occupancy from mid tower up to the top (including the penthouse) is anticipated to be completed in Q1 2022.

So move in date will be dependent on which half your unit is.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Hi Rofina. There is quite a history on this white concrete.

The specification of the original white concrete is a high flow concrete mix which requires a mix inhibitor that results to super high temperature when curing.
In addition, the waffle wall (what we call the facade that looks like honeycomb) is part of the overall cycle of the slab pour which needs to be 7 days.
As some of the columns in the waffle wall are imperative to the schedule cycle, they require to be stripped down within days of pour.
Also, the intent on the white concrete is that once stripped, it would not require sacking and grinding, and would only need to be sealed.

Now, here are the four main reasons why the white concrete was changed to the gray concrete.
1. the pour from Level 1-9 (which was up to where the white concrete was poured) was poured in the summer of 2018. The high heat curing nature of the white concrete plus the heat in the summer resulted to major crackings on the beams of the waffle wall. Rebars became exposed and it presented a great challenge in both deficiency work and structural/envelope redesign.
2. The high flow concrete takes 11-12 days cycle which is a problem on scheduling. The cycle per slab pour was suppose to be 7 days. As with any other construction, the structure (until the finishes hit) is the critical path of the project.
3. The white concrete is exponentially expensive. The costs difference between changing to "gray" concrete with white elastomeric and traffic coating, vs pure white concrete is substantial and is a benefit to the developers. Obviously, the redesign presented new set challenges but thats for another discussion.
4. It was observed that the crackings on white concrete continued to occur 4-5 weeks after stripping. It was an engineering nightmare for both structural and envelope to mitigate and fix the cracks.

From Level 10 up to the top, the concrete will be gray with a coat of both elastomeric and traffic (alsans) coating.

Hopefully this answers the question.
This is an amazing post. Thanks very much for taking the time!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 8:12 PM

Thank you very much for you reply.
I'm on the 35th floor so I guess that would be considered mid tower and up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver