HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 10:13 PM

I'm shocked if this shocked any of the designers. Absolutely purposeful, absolutely expected.

The positive is, they can always close the above ground parking...but they won't because the brewery district is defined by compromise...3 sided buildings, stucco instead of brick, surface parking in place of an actual pedestrian experience...

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 2:07 AM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Morals and Ethics? Are you kidding - its all about the money.

Businesses will use any angle - green , gold, blue to make money
well yeah, thats my point. Those urban elite who care so much about trying to vancouverize this city should put your money on the line and open up businesses that conform to your silly mentality rather than bitch about businesses that don't cater to you and the other 0.5% of the city who think hard to find and expensive parking is a good business model for destination retail.

shit, I live and work downtown and the vast majority of my shopping is done when i am running errands driving around the city because its hands down the most convenient and cheap. I'm not going to haul a bunch of shopping bags around two or three blocks while i walk home from the office, or shudder, take a bus.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 4:15 AM

SHOFEAR: you're such a character. But from past posts, I thought you lived in Mill Woods.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:22 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
SHOFEAR: you're such a character. But from past posts, I thought you lived in Mill Woods.
There are pros and cons living in any environment. Yesterday while having a beer leaning over the balcony 21 floors above 104 street watching the post game crowd was freaking cool.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Did anyone hear that MEC's new store's big selling point will be free parking? I think it's unconscionable for a so-called "green" store who built their newest location in an urban area of a city working to be less car dependent to base their main pitch around free parking. McKeen or someone from City Transportation should call MEC and give them a slap on the wrist.

Traversing the Brewery District on foot or by car is already a dangerous and noisy nightmare and that surface parking lot they built should be considered a sin against God. Maybe the BD could force all drivers to park in their shiny new parkade (which is currently barely used) and convert that surface lot into a pleasant plaza for residents, shoppers, and staff.
No worries you haul your kayak on foot 8 blocks. People will drive to pick up such items and guess what they are catering to their customers.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
100%. Had a conversation with one of the engineers on the project last week and we discussed this very issue. Even if full, a large proportion of people will park on the surface lot before going underground.
I actually love it that people don't use the underground parking as it means better parking for me as when I go there I park underground and take the escalators up.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
I actually love it that people don't use the underground parking as it means better parking for me as when I go there I park underground and take the escalators up.
Was by MEC yesterday. No available surface parking, but go in the parkade and there were hundreds of them. Parked right beside the exit.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:13 PM

^There's no place for the city to get involved, but it IS at odds with their branding and culture. Obviously some of what they sell can't be practically transported without a car even if it is a small portion. Some parking is necessary. Free parking is not necessary, and it's kind of insulting that they boast about their free parking when they open without any bike parking.

Chain-wide, there's a cost to all that free parking, whether it's broken out in their leases or not.

They are very proud to tell us that they allocate "1% for the planet", but there's a mystery percentage going to parking too.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:27 PM

I think people should quit deluding themselves into thinking that MEC is a paradise for granola-munching eco-wankers. They are just Sport Chek/Atmosphere with a membership fee.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I think people should quit deluding themselves into thinking that MEC is a paradise for granola-munching eco-wankers. They are just Sport Chek/Atmosphere with a membership fee.
And which doesn't pay any income taxes.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
And which doesn't pay any income taxes.
Ding ding.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:09 PM

15 years ago they were different. They've become less different as the years pass. I prefer the old MEC but to each his own.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 4:46 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Nailed it.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 5:37 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Yea not quite

It isn't what it used to be but no it ain't no Sport Chek either

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Sometimes you change the business model to grow and for them its working.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 10:10 PM

Drove down Whyte this afternoon but I didn't have time to walk around to get a better look. However, traffic was heavy enough to allow for a few observations.

H2O has "For Lease" signs on it, thank the lord. Personally I think they should just dynamite that entire strip mall.
SUN Toyota continues to be a riff-raff magnet so I wish they'd do something with this.
Sara Express is closed and papered up - another Middle Eastern place that nobody will miss.
Still no signs up on Cafe Mosaics - are they now too cool for one?
I vaguely recall signs for a new Portuguese restaurant, can't remember the name or where, other than on the north side of Whyte.
Heard on the news that Packrat Louies is closed for renovations but reopening soon with a new chef.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Drove down Whyte this afternoon but I didn't have time to walk around to get a better look. However, traffic was heavy enough to allow for a few observations.

H2O has "For Lease" signs on it, thank the lord. Personally I think they should just dynamite that entire strip mall.
SUN Toyota continues to be a riff-raff magnet so I wish they'd do something with this.
Sara Express is closed and papered up - another Middle Eastern place that nobody will miss.
Still no signs up on Cafe Mosaics - are they now too cool for one?
I vaguely recall signs for a new Portuguese restaurant, can't remember the name or where, other than on the north side of Whyte.
Heard on the news that Packrat Louies is closed for renovations but reopening soon with a new chef.

I noticed this also yesterday. Its pretty drastic with the lottering and garbage strewn about. The building is also looking like shit.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 9:14 PM

Blu's in Manulife is closing for renovations. I presume the pedway corridor to KR is driving this.
Also noticed the 2nd floor space above Chopped Leaf is being gutted. Not sure if new retail is forthcoming there or what.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:10 PM

^ That 2nd floor space in Commerce Place is now covered with hoarding wall.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 10:27 PM

Duchess Provisions closing Holland Plaza shop because it 'can't compete' on kitchenware

Duchess Provisions is closing in Holland Plaza at the end of May and moving back to its old location on 124 Street. SHAUGHN BUTTS / EDMONTON JOURNAL

Open less than a year, the expanded Duchess Provisions will be moving out of its fancy digs at the end of May and back into its old location on 124 Street.

Co-owner Giselle Courteau says that the high-style kitchenware and baking ingredients store, located in Holland Plaza at 10934 119 St., is losing too much money to be sustainable. She says shoppers are “window shopping at our store and then going home to order online.”

“We can’t compete with Amazon,” she says.

After a renovation in June, Provisions will be back beside Duchess Bake Shop at 10718 124 St. Provisions will resume its original mandate to provide high-quality, often hard-to-find baking ingredients for the home cook.

“The brand isn’t going away and it will be back in about a month,” says Courteau. “We’ll be able to focus on the things we’d originally had set out for ourselves.”

Duchess Atelier, the cooking class portion of the business, will remain in Holland Plaza and Courteau says more classes are planned. Doughnut Party, which sublets space beside Atelier from Duchess, remains in place, as does Cafe Linnea, the brunch specialty restaurant right next door to Provisions.

http://edmontonjournal.com/life/food...ormer-location

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton