HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 12:25 PM

Going from memory, capacity is something like 10.5 on FWFN, 8.5 at the airport, 3.2 at the dump and .6 at the wastewater treatment plant.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 9:35 PM

A few other solar projects are in the advanced planning stages in the Thunder Bay area as well. On a related note, Michael Gravelle joined Bill Mauro in criticizing the location for the Big Thunder Wind Park today at the NOMA AGM. Opponents of the project should be jubilant with this news, Mike has a lot more clout at Queen's Park than Bill.

Another announcement that coincided with the NOMA AGM was the creation of a $100 million rural Northern Ontario infrastructure fund by the province:
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/2761...tructure-boost
The province has pledged to work with northern communities to design how the program will work. Thunder Bay will not be eligible as a larger community (which I agree with). This program will only be truly successful if the one third municipal-provincial-federal funding formula for infrastructure projects is thrown out the window in favour of higher level governments taken on greater responsibility for funding projects. This pot of money, although unavailable directly to Thunder Bay, will still benefit the city immensely through provision of work for local contractors to bid on.

The Minister of Transportation also pledged to continue forwards with four-laning of vital stretches of the Trans-Canada Highway through Ontario. I think there was considerable unease in certain circles in NWO that Ontario's budgetary issues were going to nix a lot of the dollars being spent on this endeavour. Hopefully the province keeps its word on this, and by Ontario, they mean all of Ontario.

A major milestone on a key flagship technology development project at the TBRRI:
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/2760...enon-polarizer
Lets hope this will help continue growth in the medical end of things locally.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 4:36 PM

A new store is coming soon to the Intercity Mall. Work is underway on a Cellairis store. I guess they sell cell phone cases and accessories, judging by their website.
https://www.cellairis.com/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 2:35 PM
I am a typical

I doubt that store is going to be very big. It will probably be in that narrow stall that sells calendars or motorcycle gear.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I doubt that store is going to be very big. It will probably be in that narrow stall that sells calendars or motorcycle gear.
I believe they are occupying an actual store front at the mall, not just a kiosk in the main walkway.

======

Haven't seen it posted here yet, so I thought I would put it on the record that Tom Jones is working on the building between AGC Glass and the fitness centre on Vickers. I think it used to be a movie rental place??? I also think it is being converted into another methadone clinic... but I can't say for sure yet. Nearby at Centennial Square, work is still underway on converting the former Shoppers store to a Dollarama. This has been going on for some time now.

I am also starting to wonder if Tom Jones is going to be building the long advertised "corporate centre" on 16th Ave. alongside the Harbour Expressway, across from Intercity Mall almost. Originally, I thought the work underway was just for the installation of a new watermain. Supposedly some Tom Jones employees have been on site though and a lot of earth material and stone has been getting moved around there the past few days.

The major part of the reconstruction of Golf Links Rd. from the Harbour Expressway to Oliver Rd. started today. The stretch from the Harbour to Central is closed as of today, and various stretches of the construction zone on Golf Links will be closed for the next 12 weeks. I don't have much faith in the contractor to finish on time, so I wouldn't be surprised if the closure lasts longer. If that is the case though, I suppose it means the contractor will be doing the job cheaper and therefore benefiting the taxpayer. This is going to be a headache for north-south commuters in town, but I think the long-term benefit will far outweigh the inconvenience.

Last edited by TbayON; May 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 11:20 PM
I am a typical

I think all the rocks and dirt at the Jones lot on 16th is part of the Golf Links project. The pile of rocks looks like what they use as foundation for a new highway.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:32 AM
Urban Fanactic

Demolition is almost done at the St. Mary's Paper site.

Photo's by me.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:35 AM
Urban Fanactic

A few construction sites in the city and on that's now complete.
Extendicare Homes which opened at the beginning of April and the Plummer Hospital is now closed.

Sault College Health and Wellness Centre which will open in September.

Site of new Catholic High School and two 6 floor apartment buildings at Pine Street and Second Line East (Highway 17).

All photo's by me.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I think all the rocks and dirt at the Jones lot on 16th is part of the Golf Links project. The pile of rocks looks like what they use as foundation for a new highway.
Maybe, but I somehow doubt it since Makkinga is moving the material to 16th Ave. and Taranis has the Golf Links job. Taranis has enough of their own trucks to do the work at this point in time, and they have enough space around town to stockpile material. Who knows though. The installation of the new water line through there right now only makes it harder to tell who is doing what. Time will tell.

=======

The former C.B.S. Plasma Clinic off of Balmoral seems to have a new tenant/owner. The for lease or for sale sign (can't remember what the deal was there) is gone and a large BFI bin has been dropped outside the front door. It would appear some reno's are in store for the building before its occupied.

The large gravel lot near the base of the Pacific Ave bridge between McIntosh and McLeod has been subdivided, and the lots are up for sale. The area is zoned for multi-family residential use. You know the Thunder Bay housing market has turned a corner when east end property is being marketed in this manor. The east end is a pretty good place to live though, and most of the problems that affect the Ogden and May St areas across the bridge seem to stop at the tracks.

I also noticed while in downtown P.A. last weekend that the former Army Surplus store at the corner of Cumberland and Park is up for sale as a re-development opportunity. There is a rendering in the window, and it looks alright.

More delays at the Target job. Something like 6 illegal foreign workers were found to be working on the building. A shortage of material has also been a major issue. One of the contractors undertaking drywall and acoustical work on the building has strictly forbidden its workers from purchasing material at any local lumber yards. All materials are being trucked in from out of town. The whole job is a joke.

The Applebees reno is complete and the restaurant is open again. Some exterior work was done, nothing too special though.

Work is underway on 401 E. Victoria Ave. I believe this is Habib's low income rental unit project that he took to city council a while back.

Last edited by TbayON; May 3, 2013 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 9:59 PM

Rentech has purchased Atikokan Renewable Fuels, along with the former OSB mill in Wawa. The company plans to invest $70 million into the two plants for the production of wood pellets:
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/277511/U.S.-based-company-invests-$75-million-into-former-Fibretech-facility
http://www.northernontariobusiness.c...d-pellets.aspx

About 40 to 45 production jobs will be created at each plant, in addition to about 120 woodlands job to supply fibre to each plant. This announcement does come with a downside. Rentech will not be construction a biomass refinery in White River to produce jet fuel anymore, which has been widely speculated for months. The pellets will be sent by rail to the port of Quebec for export to Europe. I am not sure how this is going to affect ARF's contract with OPG, but I would assume it remains in place.

The Parrish and Heimbecker grain terminal in Thunder Bay is going to be idled. Fortunately, it comes as a result of a joint venture being signed between P&H and Cargill, and no job losses are to occur according to the two companies.
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/2774...acant-terminal
http://www.northernontariobusiness.c...t-venture.aspx

The two companies will both operate out of the Cargill terminal. P&H may use their terminal in the future for commodities not covered under the agreement. This move should help keep the two companies competitive locally, and you can't argue with the importance of that.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 5:50 AM

Just joined and I live in Timmins.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
welcome to the site

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:53 AM

The Thunder Bay DSSAB will not be renewing its lease of the Royal Edward Arms from with the city in 2015. The building is going to be turned back over to the city. The mayor has publicly referred to the Royal Eddy as a cesspool. Its estimated that the building requires $10 million in repairs to get it up to modern standards.
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/278515/Moving-out

The Royal Eddy is a heritage building, which makes demolition and major alteration a difficult option. Hopefully it will be renovated into something that serves the community well. An interesting side note from the article is mention of the DSSAB's interest in converting a 'senior's home' into a residence for single people. I wonder if they are looking at Grandview Lodge as a possible acquisition once the CEISS centre is completed????

The tender for 2 new fire halls and satellite ambulance stations around town has gone out, as have some tenders for work on a few city schools during the summer break.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 3:01 AM

And the circus at the new consolidated courthouse project continues...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunde...struction.html
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/279073/Crane-collapse

The Ministry of Labour already had a laundry list of work orders against Byrd before this one happened. I guess it is only going to get worse for them from here. I have heard from local construction workers that this job is the worst they have ever been on in their careers (many of them spanning decades) in terms of safety issues and a general lack of organization.

A few other updates:
-Looks like the foundation for the larger condo unit at the Terra Vista development is being readied.
-issues with the piles at the waterfront development have apparently been solved and some foundation work is underway
-the piles at the new Holiday Inn hotel are being capped presently, which will be followed by foundation work
-the winter-like weather that dominated the first half to two thirds of spring has the local construction season at the very least 4 weeks behind, but more realistically about 6 to 7 weeks in most cases.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 7:33 PM
ARTchitecture

Well that blows about the construction delay, but at least a bunch of stuff is moving ahead.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 5:37 PM

Three new buildings will be going up next to the Hortons on Waterloo, just north of Victoria Ave. The lot used to be used for off-loading vehicles from rail cars probably a decade ago or greater. The lot was cleared and graded last fall. A new waterline must be installed under Waterloo St. via directional drilling. It sounds like this won't happen immediately to avoid more traffic congestion in the Intercity area due to the Golf Links project. Also, the third building will be going up after the first two buildings. I am going to guess a tenant hasn't been found just yet.

I have heard a rumour that one of the tenants that will be occupying one of the first two buildings is a Denny's restaurant. I am not sure if this is true or not for sure. I have also heard that the secondary teachers union was going to move their office to this site. This is possible since the union is currently selling/leasing/vacating their existing location further up the road. I believe a local businessman is behind this project, which is nice to hear.

Short article updating progress on the waterfront:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunde...s-landing.html

Last edited by TbayON; May 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
Three new buildings will be going up next to the Hortons on Waterloo, just north of Victoria Ave. The lot used to be used for off-loading vehicles from rail cars probably a decade ago or greater. The lot was cleared and graded last fall. A new waterline must be installed under Waterloo St. via directional drilling. It sounds like this won't happen immediately to avoid more traffic congestion in the Intercity area due to the Golf Links project. Also, the third building will be going up after the first two buildings. I am going to guess a tenant hasn't been found just yet.

I have heard a rumour that one of the tenants that will be occupying one of the first two buildings is a Denny's restaurant. I am not sure if this is true or not for sure. I have also heard that the secondary teachers union was going to move their office to this site. This is possible since the union is currently selling/leasing/vacating their existing location further up the road. I believe a local businessman is behind this project, which is nice to hear.

Short article updating progress on the waterfront:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunde...s-landing.html
Like yourself , i heard a rumour of possible tenants of the Teachers union , Subway , and possibly a variety store !!
On another note , awhile back it was announced that Lone Star was coming to town , anyone know if its still happening and possible location ?? I hope so , the have the best Fajitas .

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Like yourself , i heard a rumour of possible tenants of the Teachers union , Subway , and possibly a variety store !!
On another note , awhile back it was announced that Lone Star was coming to town , anyone know if its still happening and possible location ?? I hope so , the have the best Fajitas .
I heard Subway too, but there is apparently Subway proposed for Carrick at the Harbour Expressway too, so it could be a misunderstanding of location. I would be a little surprised to see two Subways opening at the same time.

Lone Star posted jobs for managerial positions months ago, and I have heard nothing since. This one has went cold as far as I know.

According to the Thunder Bay CEDC, 3 new mining service/supply companies were searching for space in Thunder Bay in April. One name mentioned was Abitibi Geophysics. This should be considered very positive news since mining companies (especially juniors) have been taking a beating lately in terms of sourcing financing.

I noticed an ad posted in the newspaper by Bondfield Construction looking for a project super and some other high level positions for a job in Thunder Bay. These guys are from Toronto, and undertake larger projects. I don't know yet what they are up to here, but I would guess its for The Club Condos. I will have to check into this one.

The Thunder Bay Centre of Change might be for sale. The following article makes mention of one of the tenants having to move their location because their current office space in the former Hillcrest High School is for sale:
http://www.northernontariobusiness.c...facturing.aspx

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Welcome Loco!

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
The Thunder Bay Centre of Change might be for sale. The following article makes mention of one of the tenants having to move their location because their current office space in the former Hillcrest High School is for sale:
http://www.northernontariobusiness.c...facturing.aspx
It's been for sale for a while. I don't think anyone's been asked to leave, but it is something the tenants are definitely aware of. As the Centre of Change it was pitched at start-ups, with initial low rents but steady increases. With the new equipment coming in, it looks to be the optimal time for them to have their own facility.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario