HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
A better spot for a Sixers arena
A piece of open ground runs from the south side of the Roundhouse to Eighth and Arch. At 4.3 acres, it’s slightly smaller than the Fashion District location. But at least the Sixers wouldn’t face the Herculean task of erecting steel for a new arena while simultaneously keeping the Jefferson Station trains running below.

So she's saying that the Sixers should settle for a smaller arena long term to solve the short term problem of keeping the trains running while building the arena?
Yeah, that's why she's not an architect, or a problem-solver of any kind.
Her points in opposition don't really make any sense to me. I wholeheartedly agree about how awesome the Market East development is. The Sixer's plan for the internal pedestrian walkway seems great. They were asked to keep the area "fluid" with the streetscape to ensure it wasn't totally dead when events weren't going on. Look at how much more street facing retail there is in the floorplan she shows as supporting her point. It makes no sense. I also thought the point about the medical marijuana dispensary was funny. Last I checked (yesterday morning) there's a Panera and a hotel on that block that were built after the convention center.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 1:08 PM
build awesome buildings

Paving the Way Toward a 48th Street Greenway?
Naked Philly, 6/22/2023
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...reet-greenway/

Love seeing this sort of thinking, and kudos to the neighborhood groups for being proactive and trying to push positive change

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb233541 View Post
The area Inga describes also includes two cross streets (Cherry and Appletree) which, presumably, would be absorbed or bridged... one of her main complaints about the current proposal. Also, that area, I believe, is technically within the bounds of Chinatown, while the current proposal is outside of Chinatown. Finally, the obsession with Jefferson Station is beyond me. It feels like a glorified subway station. It's not like they're talking about demolishing 30th Street.
That spot is too far from Jefferson Station. The only way the arena works is if you get people to take the regional rail and as soon as people have to go outside and walk 10 minutes...you've lost what Boston and Madison Square Garden have. Fashion District and 8th and Market are the only places that work in my opinion with Fashion District being better because of Jefferson. With 8th and Market you can still walk underground from Jefferson though.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
That spot is too far from Jefferson Station. The only way the arena works is if you get people to take the regional rail and as soon as people have to go outside and walk 10 minutes...you've lost what Boston and Madison Square Garden have. Fashion District and 8th and Market are the only places that work in my opinion with Fashion District being better because of Jefferson. With 8th and Market you can still walk underground from Jefferson though.
Agree.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 4:03 PM

I should clarify that I agree with everything you are saying. I think putting it above Jefferson Station is a great idea. What I don't understand is Inga's obsession with the station as if it is some architectural marvel and any alteration or loss of natural light would be sacrilege.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again: I think that the groups in Chinatown opposing the arena are missing out on a golden opportunity to use the arena as leverage. Simply saying "no arena, ever" accomplishes very little because the Sixers can likely make it happen, even without buy in from Chinatown. They should, instead, be saying "we'll support this if you do X for Chinatown." They could be getting $ for capping 676 and other QOL improvements. They could push financial support to construct additional affordable housing to make sure longtime residents aren't pushed out. There are so many creative ways to approach this. But, instead, it's just a bunch of screaming and bluster.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 4:25 PM

Quote:
I should clarify that I agree with everything you are saying. I think putting it above Jefferson Station is a great idea. What I don't understand is Inga's obsession with the station as if it is some architectural marvel and any alteration or loss of natural light would be sacrilege.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again: I think that the groups in Chinatown opposing the arena are missing out on a golden opportunity to use the arena as leverage. Simply saying "no arena, ever" accomplishes very little because the Sixers can likely make it happen, even without buy in from Chinatown. They should, instead, be saying "we'll support this if you do X for Chinatown." They could be getting $ for capping 676 and other QOL improvements. They could push financial support to construct additional affordable housing to make sure longtime residents aren't pushed out. There are so many creative ways to approach this. But, instead, it's just a bunch of screaming and bluster.
Rightly or wrongly, they view it as an existential threat, that if the arena is allowed to move forward in any way, then Chinatown will be irreparably harmed. I don't think you can easily overcome that. They're going to fight like hell all of the way to the end.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 5:08 PM

I can appreciate the concerns of the community group, regardless of whether I agree with them. I am more concerned that we are going to see the same story that plays out all the time with development in this city. Think of the Painted Bride debacle: the neighborhood group raised concerns, but took such an intransigent approach that the developer eventually got fed up and said "eff it, i'm knocking the whole thing down and building what I want." That is clearly not a good outcome. I think there is a way to spin this and create a net benefit for Chinatown, but I worry that the current approach will foreclose that possibility. Or maybe I'm just Pollyanna. Lol.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 6:06 PM

Quote:

Capping 676 would 100% cause faster gentrification in Chinatown and they are delusional if they think otherwise. To be clear, 676 should be capped into a park but it will instantly turn that into a way more desirable and beautiful neighborhood. There are so many crappy parking lots lining Vine Street from Broad to 8th. I'd argue it would have a way more drastic change than a 76ers arena would. I really think that Market has enough developmental space to leave Chinatown alone.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 7:19 PM

Quote:
I can appreciate the concerns of the community group, regardless of whether I agree with them. I am more concerned that we are going to see the same story that plays out all the time with development in this city. Think of the Painted Bride debacle: the neighborhood group raised concerns, but took such an intransigent approach that the developer eventually got fed up and said "eff it, i'm knocking the whole thing down and building what I want." That is clearly not a good outcome. I think there is a way to spin this and create a net benefit for Chinatown, but I worry that the current approach will foreclose that possibility. Or maybe I'm just Pollyanna. Lol.
Yeah I can see the sense in taking that approach at the beginning but you've gotta read the tea leaves here. It's starting to look like either they come to the negotiating table or this gets pushed through and the neighborhood loses a massive opportunity to fund projects important to them. The building trades didn't endorse Parker for nothing. We all know how that game works. Squilla seems to be hanging his hat on the study, and from the selection criteria I have no reason to think that won't come out pro-arena. I get the concern in the community but at a certain point you have to work the hand you're dealt.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 7:21 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
...but took such an intransigent approach...
Raise your hand if you also had to look up what "intransigent" means after reading this

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 5:45 PM

I think this has been glossed over a bit in the news, but just so I understand this correctly...

Greyhound will now be picking up and dropping off on 7th and Market??

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 6:32 PM

Central Business District Update

Comcast is moving to a 4-day in-office model this fall:

https://www.inquirer.com/business/co...outputType=amp

Predictably, a lot of people with a lot of opinions in my corporate-circle about what other CC businesses will follow suit in upping in-person requirements. Tough balance between pressure from the City to increase foot traffic/keep corporate real estate leased versus the flexible lifestyles employees have become accustomed to over the past several years.

Personally, I’ve been on a 3-in/2-out schedule since 2018. If it was upped to 4, I’d strongly consider a lateral move. But I also live in CC.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post

Predictably, a lot of people with a lot of opinions in my corporate-circle about what other CC businesses will follow suit in upping in-person requirements. Tough balance between pressure from the City to increase foot traffic/keep corporate real estate leased versus the flexible lifestyles employees have become accustomed to over the past several years.

Personally, I’ve been on a 3-in/2-out schedule since 2018. If it was upped to 4, I’d strongly consider a lateral move. But I also live in CC.
Seems doubtful that Comcast is switching to a 4 day in-office work week simply due to pressure from the city to boost foot traffic. Many companies want workers back in the office for all the obvious reasons (managerial, team building, company culture, employee accountability etc)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 8:29 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
I think this has been glossed over a bit in the news, but just so I understand this correctly...

Greyhound will now be picking up and dropping off on 7th and Market??
Yep, they're opening an office in the parking garage building on the south side of Market St. where the other intracity buses pick-up.

Naked Philly, https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...lier-76-place/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post

I’m not speaking to one side of the coin or the other…just to say that it’s all fun and games until the job market power-pendulum swings back in the employers favor. The last few years has been such a strong labor market that employers were rolling over backwards to offer concessions to keep headcount.

Most of us tho remember the Great Recession where just having a job felt like a minor miracle for a few years there. It’ll be interesting to see how many of these employee fought concessions like higher wages and remote work options stick around if/when the labor market tightens and “jumping ship” isn’t that simple.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 4:20 AM

Does anyone know if the grass area behind the project at 918 North Delaware Avenue will be a park or it's just a place holder for future development?

https://phillyyimby.com/2023/06/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Does anyone know if the grass area behind the project at 918 North Delaware Avenue will be a park or it's just a place holder for future development?

https://phillyyimby.com/2023/06/cons...ladelphia.html
That's a separate parcel across Canal St that I think is just rendered to look nice when it's industrial/overgrown in reality. It does look like a single entity owns all of the undeveloped property though.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
That's a separate parcel across Canal St that I think is just rendered to look nice when it's industrial/overgrown in reality. It does look like a single entity owns all of the undeveloped property though.
Got it. Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 3:03 PM

Demolition on the Way for Stately Roxborough Home on Ridge Ave.
Quote:
We just can’t seem to rip ourselves away from Roxborough, where there is an abundance of development taking place of varying shapes and sizes. Much of this development is happening along Ridge Ave., where everything from new, mid-rise apartment buildings to small multi-family to gorgeous adaptive reuse is in the cards. Today’s trip to 7330 Ridge Ave. is a bit bittersweet, as a zoning permit was just issued for the complete demolition of the handsome home that has stood on this 1.35-acre property since 1925. While the home isn’t in the best shape according to a recent listing on Redfin, it’s still a bummer to see it reach the end of the line.

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-on-ridge-ave/

Everyone involved with this project should be tried for murder.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Demolition on the Way for Stately Roxborough Home on Ridge Ave.

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-on-ridge-ave/

Everyone involved with this project should be tried for murder.
Horrible. They should've been required to incorporate this historic home into whatever project they want to do. What a joke.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development