HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Westjet announced some service suspensions that impact Atlantic Canada.

http://https://www.westjet.com/en-ca...ons-as-airline
WestJet has also reduced their overseas flights, I know my partner and I had our flights in October to the UK cancelled out of Halifax in just the last few days.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

These two paragraphs from the WestJet press release are interesting:

Quote:
WestJet recently announced how a growing, stronger, sustainable WestJet will benefit Canadians, following a strategic review to determine the best course for the airline’s sustained future success. This August, WestJet will release the airline’s full winter 2022/2023 schedule that will see significant sun and leisure flying investments for Eastern Canada along with capacity enhancements nationwide.

“As a national airline, we will continue to engage with these communities and stakeholders as we look to enhance service to Eastern and Atlantic Canada through direct connections to Western Canada, sun and leisure destinations,” continued Weatherill. “By making these difficult decisions now, it will ensure we can offer more of what our guests expect from WestJet and solidify our airline as the most reliable and affordable airline for many years to come.”
So, what does this mean?

There appear to be two Maritime survivors in terms of year round WestJet service - Halifax and Moncton.

When they say they want to enhance direct connections between Atlantic Canada and western Canada, could this possibly mean a direct air connection to the west from Moncton? Swoop (a WestJet subsidiary) already flies direct from Moncton to Edmonton. Could we see a direct mainline WestJet service from Moncton to Calgary??? Calgary is after all WestJet's main hub airport, and direct flights here could be useful for connections to other western Canadian destinations, the western US and even Hawaii.

Also, they want to enhance "sun and leisure" services to eastern and Atlantic Canada too. WestJet is acquiring SunWing, so it would make sense they are talking about SunWing services here. SunWing has a long tradition out of YQM. Could we possibly see more vacation destinations out of Moncton as well???

We should know a lot more when WestJet releases winter schedules next month.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From Twitter:

Quote:
TORONTO, ON, JULY 19, 2022 – Canada Jetlines Operations Ltd. (NEO: CJET) (“Canada Jetlines”) the new, all-Canadian, leisure airline, announced today the launch of airline ticket reservations for departures from its initial flight on August 15, 2022, onwards through travel agents and on www.jetlines.com. The carrier will be offering launch special fares available for a limited time for flights out of its travel hub at Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ), to domestic destinations Moncton, NB (YQM) and Winnipeg, MB (YWG).
So, the start of Canada JetLines service to Toronto & Winnipeg from YQM will be on August 15th.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 12:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, Canada JetLines plans on 2x daily service to Toronto (and Winnipeg) from YQM 5x weekly, Monday to Friday.

Departures will conveniently be late morning and early evening, which should be popular times.

T&T photo

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From Huddle:

Suspended Fredericton-Toronto Flight May Boost Moncton Air Traffic
SAM MACDONALD
https://huddle.today/2022/07/20/susp...n-air-traffic/

No comments regarding the other possibilities potentially associated with continued WestJet service to the Hub City (like wintertime sun flights), but it was interesting to note that passenger levels at YQM have returned to 85% of pre-pandemic normal. I think that's pretty good!

Quote:
“For the month of June, our passenger numbers represented 85-per-cent of pre-Covid or June 2019,” said Burns.

“That’s fantastic, as a few months prior, we were at 66-per-cent in a fairly soft first quarter, so it’s been a quick, upward trend from a recovery perspective. We have more seats in our market this summer, more airlines and more destinations served than we served in the summer of 2019.”
Passenger numbers may be boosted even more with the arrival of Canada JetLines next month.

EDIT:

No offence to Freddy BTW, and I hope regular WestJet flights return to your city at some point, but the airline appears to be undergoing a rapid retrenchment to it's western Canadian routes, with only limited service to a reduced number of eastern Canadian cities, primarily designed to serve as connectors to the western Canadian route network.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 21, 2022 at 1:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From Huddle:

Suspended Fredericton-Toronto Flight May Boost Moncton Air Traffic
SAM MACDONALD
https://huddle.today/2022/07/20/susp...n-air-traffic/

No comments regarding the other possibilities potentially associated with continued WestJet service to the Hub City (like wintertime sun flights), but it was interesting to note that passenger levels at YQM have returned to 85% of pre-pandemic normal. I think that's pretty good!

EDIT:

No offence to Freddy BTW, and I hope regular WestJet flights return to your city at some point, but the airline appears to be undergoing a rapid retrenchment to it's western Canadian routes, with only limited service to a reduced number of eastern Canadian cities, primarily designed to serve as connectors to the western Canadian route network.

No offence taken.

It is frustrating as many times flights are moved despite ridership being more than adequate, but consolidation is the name of the game right now for WJ, and they are moving away from the Q400s.

I am cancelling my WestJet Card though, as I wont drive to Moncton to fly.

I hope that with WJ pulling out that one of the LCC comes into the market. The routes were profitable out of Freddy, and with WJ out there is a hole to fill. SJ and Moncton have at least one LCC and now it's Freddy's turn.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I hope that with WJ pulling out that one of the LCC comes into the market. The routes were profitable out of Freddy, and with WJ out there is a hole to fill. SJ and Moncton have at least one LCC and now it's Freddy's turn.
Moncton has two now (Swoop and Canada JetLines), and SJ has Flair, so there are options for Freddy to consider.

I would wonder about Canada JetLines. They are starting with a really truncated network (three destinations), and will be looking to grow. I could see them offering a route from Freddy to Pearson. This would be preferable to Swoop. Swoop flies to Edmonton and Hamilton from Moncton. I would prefer to fly into Pearson than Munro (in Hamilton).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Moncton has two now (Swoop and Canada JetLines), and SJ has Flair, so there are options for Freddy to consider.
Saint John has 2 actually, (both Flair and Swoop).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
WestJet has also reduced their overseas flights, I know my partner and I had our flights in October to the UK cancelled out of Halifax in just the last few days.
That might also have to do with some UK airports, like Heathrow, asking airlines to not book anymore flights into them all the way into October. They can't handle the traffic and have limited the amount of passengers allowed per day at their airports.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
No offence taken.

It is frustrating as many times flights are moved despite ridership being more than adequate, but consolidation is the name of the game right now for WJ, and they are moving away from the Q400s.

I am cancelling my WestJet Card though, as I wont drive to Moncton to fly.

Freddy should make a strong pitch for the other LCC....Lynx. Not serving the NB market yet but will be within the next year or two

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Freddy should make a strong pitch for the other LCC....Lynx. Not serving the NB market yet but will be within the next year or two
Frankly, as someone who has lived through 3, maybe 4, of these surge periods in LCCs, I don't think any of the airports should be getting too reliant on them.

Every decade there appears to be this giant surge in new low-cost brands popping up and within 2 years ... a massive shake-up and series of layoffs/shut downs. So, I think the airports should be working to get more US-focused direct connections (American, United, Delta, JetBlue) or entice Porter to dominate the region. And as much as I hate flying them yet am forever an Elite status zombie to them...make Air Canada work. (That hurt to type)

Want a list of them...here ya go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ines_of_Canada

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 3:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to a T&T article, Moncton - Romeo LeBlanc has now returned to 94% of pre pandemic passenger capacity.

At least partially because of this, food service at YQM is getting back to normalcy as well.

- Aaron's Coffee Shop - pre security, open 8 AM - 4 PM M-F
- Tim Horton's Coffee - post security, open 4 AM - 12:30 PM, M-F
- Altitude Bistro - post security, open 10 AM - last flight daily, 7 days/week.

==========================================================================================

On another note, the inaugural flight of Canada Jetlines has been delayed until the end of the month due to a delay in securing final regulatory approval. They will start operations with only a single plane, and only three destinations (Moncton, Toronto, Winnipeg) but, barring any short term bankruptcy, have aspirations of a fleet of 15 aircraft within three years and plan to serve a broad network of domestic and international leisure destinations.

Barring bankruptcy or other calamity, this is their anticipated route network down the road.

Domestic:

Abbotsford International Airport (YXX)
Calgary International Airport (YYC)
Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
Hamilton John C Munro International Airport (YHM)
Kelowna International Airport (YLW)
Lethbridge Airport (YQL)
Montreal Saint-Hubert Longueuil Airport (YQL)
Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport (YQM)
Red Deer Regional Airport (YQF)
Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB)
St John's International Airport (YYT)
Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport (YWG)

International:

Dominican Republic
Puerto Plata Gregorio Luperón International Airport (POP
Samaná El Catey International Airport (AZS)
Santo Domingo Las Américas International Airport (SDQ)

Jamaica
Montego Bay Sangster International Airport (MBJ)

Mexico
Cancún International Airport (CUN)
Los Cabos International Airport (SJD)
Puerto Vallarta Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport (PVR)

United States
Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
Fort Myers Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW)
Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS)
Orlando Sanford International Airport (ORL)
Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (AZA)
Tampa St. Pete–Clearwater International Airport (PIE)

I view this route network as wildly optimistic, and, at least in the short term, Jetlines will be "flying on a wing and a prayer" (metaphorically speaking). I only give this upstart a 50/50 chance of lasting longer than a year, but, hopefully they will surprise us. In particular, it will be interesting to see what wintertime sun destinations the airline might be able to provide YQM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 1:27 AM

Canada Jetlines was given the stamp of approval today.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 12:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Aaaannnnd Canada Jetlines has once again postponed their inaugural flight from YQM to YYZ. The first flight will be "at a time to be announced in the future."

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 2:19 PM

Quote:

Aaaannnnd Canada Jetlines has once again postponed their inaugural flight from YQM to YYZ. The first flight will be "at a time to be announced in the future."
I personally think they won’t get off the ground for a while. There is way too much competition out there! Especially here on the east coast.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 11:39 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Found this in the Canada section:

So, apparently, Canada Jetlines has stood both Winnipeg and Moncton up, and have made their inaugural route from Calgary to Toronto.

I have very little confidence in this airline. They seem to be making it up as they go along. Will we ever see them at YQM? Perhaps not.......................

TBQH, the Moncton-Toronto city pairing is pretty well served by Air Canada, WestJet and Porter (although both Air Canada and WestJet could increase their service frequencies a bit to allow for easier connections at Pearson). I'm not sure how profitable a new Canada Jetlines route would be.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:

So, apparently, Canada Jetlines has stood both Winnipeg and Moncton up, and have made their inaugural route from Calgary to Toronto.

I have very little confidence in this airline. They seem to be making it up as they go along. Will we ever see them at YQM? Perhaps not.......................

TBQH, the Moncton-Toronto city pairing is pretty well served by Air Canada, WestJet and Porter (although both Air Canada and WestJet could increase their service frequencies a bit to allow for easier connections at Pearson). I'm not sure how profitable a new Canada Jetlines route would be.
I’m sure what it boils down to is the YQM to YYZ market is saturated. No sense business wise. On the same note I’m sure there wasn’t much interest in Winnipeg from Moncton and vice versa.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:

I thought that was a photo of an Easy Jet plane at first. Interesting choice of paint job and font.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 1:33 AM

As far as Canada jetlines goes if they are to be successful they will need more than one plane at initial launch and I find that it’s hurting them. Plus when I looked at the initial price offering the prices were almost at par with AC, WJ and porter. What they need to do to differentiate themselves is lower their prices and offer free checked bags. When I look at Southwest that is by far the most consistant airline in the United States have great fares available with two free bags as part of the fare. Or at those prices offer a hot meal on board like old times.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 8:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This little tidbit just showed up in the Canada section:

Quote:
This week, Air Canada announced five new direct routes to Cancun from Edmonton, London, Moncton, Ottawa and Regina. The new flights are set to debut in November, alongside an increase in flights that connect Toronto with Cancun
We are used to seeing sun flights to Cancun from YQM on both SunWing and Air Transat, but a competing flight on Air Canada will be new.

The winter sun flight destination list will be announced by YQM in September. It will be interesting to see what other surprises there might be on there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces