HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticnola View Post
Below is the comment I submitted to the River District. If Topgolf was positioned closer to the river it could be akin to Chelsea Pier in New York. Lots of potential if completed with care. Development can be overwhelmingly positive if completed care. I care deeply about this city and want to see both local businesses thrive while welcoming companies from other states. (my comments will likely fall on deaf ears but alas one can try)

Topgolf should consider the massing of the project and positioning it closer to the river.
This parcel was originally planned for residential use during the original proposal from the river district and River District neighborhood investors along with Cypress equities this project has been changed and modified in ways that were not consistent with the original proposal that was presented to the community several years ago however, the components of the project are no issue. It is the massing and the accountability for affordable housing, which needs to be addressed and ensuring that there is a continuous flow from the neighborhood to the more heavy intense commercial areas towards the river, which is consistent with the historical neighborhood development pattern which should continue in the future. The river district neighborhood should consider massing larger buildings towards the river and scaling down, which is consistent with the convention center overlay district, which is approved by the city council specifically for this project, allowing a height limit of 400 feet along the river, which is where Topgolf should move their proposed project, this project would benefit both New Orleans residents and tourist alike along with creating well paying jobs. However, the concerns of the neighborhood should not be overlooked during the process, and it should be a net benefit to the community, rather than compromising for unnecessary reasons simply to accommodate costs, and other factors, which should not be considered when evaluating a neighborhood development project.

I do think putting it closer to the river would be the best option. I know it isn't possible, but I would love if it could go next to the power plant, to create an "entertainment area". Top Golf and a redeveloped power plant that somehow houses a new NBA arena would be awesome.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingque View Post
I do think putting it closer to the river would be the best option. I know it isn't possible, but I would love if it could go next to the power plant, to create an "entertainment area". Top Golf and a redeveloped power plant that somehow houses a new NBA arena would be awesome.
I never thought of that ( turning the Power Plant into an NBA arena). That’s a brilliant idea!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDot View Post
I never thought of that ( turning the Power Plant into an NBA arena). That’s a brilliant idea!
This might be a dumb question, but why does Top Golf *HAVE* to go where it's going? Why is the River District consortium so adamant about having it where it's proposed and instead, as you all have pointed out, not adjacent to the river? I feel like I'm missing something. It seems, overall, that residents are not against the project per se -- they're against where the district wants it to be located.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 10:22 PM

Last edited by sooperpaz; Feb 2, 2024 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
exactly! i understand when a private developer wants to build something and the city doesn't want to push back if it's not perfect, because we can't afford to be that picky. but given the city/public involvement in this project, it doesn't seem like a crazy ask. i don't think it's just people being "idiots" (thanks for that insult), they're just looking out for their neighborhood. you can be pro-development but not support every project as proposed.
I mean yeah. People were saying this wouldn't have any trouble in Houston or wherever but nobody who wants to live here or visit here wants this place to be Houston so it's kind of a false choice between homogenous development and no development at all.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:00 AM

Quote:
exactly! i understand when a private developer wants to build something and the city doesn't want to push back if it's not perfect, because we can't afford to be that picky. but given the city/public involvement in this project, it doesn't seem like a crazy ask. i don't think it's just people being "idiots" (thanks for that insult), they're just looking out for their neighborhood. you can be pro-development but not support every project as proposed.
Top golf isnt getting any city/public support for their project. Other parcels of river district are but not this one.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post
This might be a dumb question, but why does Top Golf *HAVE* to go where it's going? Why is the River District consortium so adamant about having it where it's proposed and instead, as you all have pointed out, not adjacent to the river? I feel like I'm missing something. It seems, overall, that residents are not against the project per se -- they're against where the district wants it to be located.
As a developer (not involved with river district) my guess is that Top Golf either wants to be on that particular site, or there is some other constraint like its probably the only parcel in the planned district that fits top golf size parameters or whatever. They already have to jog a portion of the street just to fit it as is. Not to mention, who knows how many other tenants the development team has been talking to who are insisting on being somewhere else. If you look at the layout of river district both as it exists now and the plans in the future, the main flow of traffic is on Tchoup which means that is where any grocery store, museum or other larger retailer that relies on vehicle/foot traffic would want to go. Top golf is a destination and so doesnt need to occupy the main strip.

Personally i think it would be a waste of prime riverfront space to put topgolf on the river. Those river views are to high value and are where another office tower, hotel, apartments/condos etc. should be.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 12:37 PM
-

top golf is going in best place possible . do people really think anyone wants to live right under the overpass ? got to love neighbors bitching while there was a homeless encampment there for a long time . some people in this city just love to complain . majority of people like what’s developing there

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 1:24 PM

When does construction actually take place on the River District ? This month?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 1:49 PM

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 4:27 PM
-

After a Long Renovation, the Dew Drop Inn is Set to Reopen
The completely refurbished inn will have a hotel, restaurant, music venue, and a pool club.

https://whatnownola.com/2024/01/31/a...set-to-reopen/

Another Willie’s Chicken Shack Location Coming to Bourbon Street

https://whatnownola.com/2024/01/31/a...ourbon-street/

Ain’t Nothin’ Mid About the Planned Return of Mid-City Pizza

Co-owner Anthony Cortello is bringing NYC pedigree to MCP

https://whatnownola.com/2024/01/31/a...id-city-pizza/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 4:48 PM

Quote:
notice the blind support for top golf comes from people who don't even live in nola anymore
All of my friends and family still live in NOLA and they can't wait for Top Golf to be built lol.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
some people in this city just love to complain .
I can write an entire book on this. When I bring this up to people, the pessimistic outlook of a good number of people in NOLA, they get mad at me. I'm just telling the truth.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:16 PM

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:34 PM

Quote:
i love anecdotal support from a single person's friends and family, really makes a good case

fwiw, the top golf in houston is halfway to galveston - the one they have downtown is just a swing suite, much better suited for an urban area. dallas's is in an industrial area outside ft worth, atlanta's in an industrial area miles north of downtown, nashville's across the river in an industrial area, denver's not even wtihin the city limits...just saying, even in sprawling cities, top golf doesn't belong in a downtown urban area.

i'm also not sure what the homeless people under the expressway have to do with the top golf development - they will be there either way, probably moreso with the traffic from top golf, so i don't understand how that would factor into local support for this project's placement.

sorry for harping on this, but it's frustrating to hear residents of the neighborhood this is being built in being called idiots by people who don't even live in this city.
I'm supposed to believe that faceless warriors on the internet/social media make a good case, but people I know in REAL LIFE don't matter? Yeah, ok.

There's a reason why Top Golf wants to put it in the city center, because they KNOW it's going to generate tons of money based on the city's layout.

Quick question: Why did you leave off the Top Golf location in Vegas, which is a pretty comparable tourist destination? It's also one of the only other cities with a layout as condensed as New Orleans where it makes sense to build in the middle of the city. If it's known for having all of the major attractions in the city center, why would they build on the outskirts rather than add to your major advantage? New Orleans is constantly lauded as being one of the best cities to host events and it's because everything is centrally located. Building anywhere else would be a horrible economic decision for Top Golf. And it's right by the convention center too?! Cmon man, it's not rocket science.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:44 PM

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 6:30 PM

Quote:
wasn't your point that top golf is for locals, not tourists? i wouldn't compare new orleans to vegas either - new orleans has historic, walkable neighborhoods while vegas is a sea of tourists attractions and parking lots (sounds like top golf!).

anyway, agree to disagree. there's a reason you live in atl, after all.
Locals can use the same amenities that tourists use. I told you why TOP GOLF wants it there. Don't try to twist my words, because they can't be twisted.

And you have no clue on why I moved to Atlanta, so please don't try to act like that matters, because it doesn't. I was born and raised in the 8th ward, Gentilly. I'm a St. Aug alum. Entire family is from the Florida projects, Pontchartrain Park, and Lizardi Street in the 9th ward, so I'm qualified to speak on everything that's going on in the city, especially since I'm home at least once a month.

You just want to be mad. Be mad. I hope it gets built RIGHT where you don't want it to be. Can't wait to take part in it, overlooking those nice skyline views. FORE!!!!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 6:36 PM

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 7:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingque View Post
Locals can use the same amenities that tourists use. I told you why TOP GOLF wants it there. Don't try to twist my words, because they can't be twisted.

And you have no clue on why I moved to Atlanta, so please don't try to act like that matters, because it doesn't. I was born and raised in the 8th ward, Gentilly. I'm a St. Aug alum. Entire family is from the Florida projects, Pontchartrain Park, and Lizardi Street in the 9th ward, so I'm qualified to speak on everything that's going on in the city, especially since I'm home at least once a month.

You just want to be mad. Be mad. I hope it gets built RIGHT where you don't want it to be. Can't wait to take part in it, overlooking those nice skyline views. FORE!!!!
I have sooperpaz on my ignore list for a reason. suggest everyone else do the same . dont feed the troll!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 8:11 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations