HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 5:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

+8C and partly cloudy in Moncton at noontime - a delightful day.

Things will become rainy tomorrow, with a high of +7C, and then the shite will start flowing down the tube the following day. Temperatures will fall on Thursday, with freezing rain transitioning into snow that day. Maybe 10 mm of freezing rain and up to 25 cm of snow.

Winter isn't over for us yet.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 5:40 PM
recession proof

Sunny and as warm as yesterday early; now cloudy and rain. I was tempted to drive out to KW where it's much hotter.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 8:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Well, fuck.

Snowmageddon II?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 11:22 PM
recession proof

Damn, you should start a biz selling Newfoundland snow to the ROC.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 1:05 AM

Considering how cold and foggy this morning was the afternoon ended up quite nice here, although chilly at 5C.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Unfortunately, my next career requires me to know metric so really it's helping me learn the system.
Nothing wrong with posting both.

Cold and sunny again today, YWG topped out at -11, but as opposed to yesterday winds were very light so a better day, though definitely a midwinter's feel. The sun is now strong enough that even at that temp there was some melting, or more accurately evaporation.

All of Western Canada was unseasonably cold with most locations on the Prairies at or below the -20 mark this morning. Several locations fell below -30 including Saskatoon at -32. Even Vancouver had a killing frost, YVR dropping to -4 this morning.

Really hoping this will be the last of the truly winter weather. Snow tomorrow then a couple more seasonally cold days to follow and then moderating over the weekend and next week looks excellent with even the nights quite mild, so fingers crossed, the snow may be entirely gone by St. Patrick's Day.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 1:50 AM

I heard that Lake Huron was way down. And now my MIL sent this. Yeah, beach is probably going to be ugly this year. However, will probably make for a lot of sand bars and we’ll be able to walk to nearby islands.

However, I imagine that they’ll groom it with the tractor, but it’ll still be dark, muddy looking sand. With a lot of pebbles.

Last edited by megadude; Mar 6, 2024 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:54 AM

17.5C today. The last bit of ice that remained in the shadiest part of my yard quickly melted. The plants exposed to the sun and buds are benefiting from a nice head start. It’s a bit concerning because it’s still so early and some hard frost down the road could cause substantial damage.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 5:33 AM
Go Chiefs!

13C and sunny early on but clouded over. Very mild for early March. Awesome seeing people out with only a light jacket.

Low of 0C this morning. MASSIVE difference between YUL and downtown. The downtown station registered a low of 7C.

The warmspot was Welland-Pelham, ON at 20.8C.

Warmest low was Delhi, ON at 10.4C

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:49 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

No major change from yesterday's forecast, and Eddie is going to give us his snowfall predictions later today.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:35 PM
DesignerGuy

Beautiful spring day in Ottawa yesterday. Just shy of 17 degrees and mostly sunny. Another record for the date. Today is noticeably colder, windy and cloudy. 6 degrees, but still above seasonal. Looks to be above seasonal for the next few weeks with a few cooler days possible!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

+7C and light drizzle in Moncton at noontime.

Rain will pick up again this evening, with falling temperatures overnight, and a transition to freezing rain and ice pellets tomorrow around sunrise. We may be in for an extended period of freezing rain here in Moncton. Always fun!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 5:34 PM
A Better Place

Almost a foot of snow on the ground in central Edmonton still as we had some good snowfalls at the end of February and into the beginning of March, paired with cold weather, none has melted.

HOWEVER it is going to be all sun and highs between +1 and +9 over the next week starting tomorrow so we will see how long the snowpack lasts...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 8:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The clearer afternoon forecasts are starting to roll in. CBC's local meteorologist is predicting 40-75+cm for St. John's. Still waiting on NTV's guy.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerGuy View Post
Beautiful spring day in Ottawa yesterday. Just shy of 17 degrees and mostly sunny. Another record for the date. Today is noticeably colder, windy and cloudy. 6 degrees, but still above seasonal. Looks to be above seasonal for the next few weeks with a few cooler days possible!
17.5C was the official high. Someone mentioned in a different thread that their garlic was sprouting in Kingston… So I took a look at mine, and sure enough they’re sprouting too. A bunch of other things are already growing in my yard. Earliest it’s ever been for sure.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Almost a foot of snow on the ground in central Edmonton still as we had some good snowfalls at the end of February and into the beginning of March, paired with cold weather, none has melted.

HOWEVER it is going to be all sun and highs between +1 and +9 over the next week starting tomorrow so we will see how long the snowpack lasts...
just think a week or so ago we had no snow. 30cm out my way.

-17 when I was in Blackfalds this morning but that sun sure felt good while standing on a roof.

[IMG]Blackfalds Morning by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 9:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
17.5C today. The last bit of ice that remained in the shadiest part of my yard quickly melted. The plants exposed to the sun and buds are benefiting from a nice head start. It’s a bit concerning because it’s still so early and some hard frost down the road could cause substantial damage.
Funny. Your altitude (in Barrhaven) as about the same as mine and we're only 20 km apart, and my backyard is still about half covered in snow. Maybe 2-3 cm thick. My front yard still has some small patches.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Funny. Your altitude (in Barrhaven) as about the same as mine and we're only 20 km apart, and my backyard is still about half covered in snow. Maybe 2-3 cm thick. My front yard still has some small patches.
You’d be surprised how big a difference there can be between the southern parts of Ottawa and your area this time of year. I notice it in my commute every spring. Probably due to the proximity of the Gatineau hills/Canadian shield? You’ll see the same phenomena on the south shore of Montreal/island vs. the north shore. But anyway, over here you’ll mostly just see some old snow piles. There’s probably some snow left in yards with more shade, but not like you describe. As I noted above, stuff is even sprouting out of the ground that has been snow free for some time.

Last edited by le calmar; Mar 6, 2024 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:01 PM

If I repeat it over and over again, that the moisture is needed, it doesn't seem so bad, but in reality it just plain sucks. March really is the most fickle of all months.

YWG has -5°, blowing snow, gusts to 50 km/h from the east, visby. 800m. A few cm already has fallen, but maybe 10 more before tomorrow morning. Roads are very slick.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The bottom of the fence on the first picture is the shadiest part of my backyard, and the last bit of ice there disappeared yesterday. Other picture shows what’s happening in the dirt that has been snow free for the last couple of weeks (some of those are garlic). I tried to make those pictures bigger but nothing worked so I give up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada