HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:10 PM

Are there only three restaurants operating patios at Market Square now? I can only think of SJ Ale House, Granans and Lemongrass. Was Peppers Pub the one that closed?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Are there only three restaurants operating patios at Market Square now? I can only think of SJ Ale House, Granans and Lemongrass. Was Peppers Pub the one that closed?
Peppers Pub is part of Lemongrass. It was McGill's that closed last year.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
They have cooling, and given the ratio of Summer months to Winter months in Canada, having some covered area seems like a good financial decision. I should add too that all the patios have a fully uncovered area beyond the glass sections too, so in the Summer the patio seating essentially doubles!

Also, as for the fog, a) it's awesome, I don't know how it got a bad reputation, and, b) I think it's been foggy maybe 1 or 2 days in the last two months.
I’ll never understand the people who try and make the fog out to be such a terrible thing. The bad rep is probably from property developers, real estate agents, and all the people who moved to KV that want to reinforce the “SJ bad, KV good” stereotypes that have become incredibly pervasive.

San Francisco is way foggier than Saint John, but no one complains about the fog there. Instead they embrace it and call themselves “the air conditioned city”. Their fog is so iconic, there’s even an emoji for a foggy SF

The fog and oceanic influence on our climate is a big reason why we have the mildest winter weather of any city in NB. We should try and embrace it more, and combat the negative stereotypes surrounding our “dreary weather” which are far overblown.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:22 PM

Quote:
They have cooling, and given the ratio of Summer months to Winter months in Canada, having some covered area seems like a good financial decision. I should add too that all the patios have a fully uncovered area beyond the glass sections too, so in the Summer the patio seating essentially doubles!

Also, as for the fog, a) it's awesome, I don't know how it got a bad reputation, and, b) I think it's been foggy maybe 1 or 2 days in the last two months.
Given the increase of "heat warning" days with temps in the 30's and a humidex near or over 40, Saint John fog is looking better and better to me.
We are generally well equipped and quite good for keeping warm but not always well prepared to keep cool. I'd actually take a bitterly cold and sunny January day anytime over a muggy July day with temps in the 30's.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Given the increase of "heat warning" days with temps in the 30's and a humidex near or over 40, Saint John fog is looking better and better to me.
I think Saint John has some of the most pleasant summer weather in Canada. I wish it got a little bit hotter sometimes, but for the most part it’s very nice weather for outdoor activities for the large majority of the summer, and with global warming, our summers are likely going to get considerably warmer in the coming decades.

Every time I go visit friends in Montreal or Toronto in the summer, I’m reminded how good we actually have it in Saint John when it comes to the weather.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Fog is a qualitative thing.

I grew up in Charlottetown which is rarely foggy.

I spent nine years in Halifax, and the fog there felt warm and comforting. I enjoyed a foggy evening in Halifax.

Saint John fog however I tend to find cold and clammy. I do not enjoy it.

Moncton can get very hot and humid in the summertime. I've grown to enjoy it, and I generally like the continental climate here. It can however occasionally become insufferable but, I work in an air conditioned environment and I now have central air conditioning at home which means I can get a restful night's sleep. There were times however, before we got central air, where my family and I would just have to escape down to Fundy Park in the summertime for relief.

I recall one time about 25 years ago where it was about 35C in Moncton with a humidex over 40, and we all piled into the car to go to Fundy. We ended up freezing in the fog down there. The temperature was no more than 12C or so. We had to come back.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:44 PM

Vancouver is an example of a traditionally coolish summer climate that has gotten much warmer. Condo towers build before 2005-2010 rarely had central air. It's a huge selling feature now and people in older buildings struggle with the heat. A glass walled box in the sky that gets up into the high 80's during the day is not a great place to sleep. Lots of people buying portable AC and jury rigging vents for the hose in top hinged windows that swing out 3-4". .

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Peppers Pub is part of Lemongrass. It was McGill's that closed last year.
Anything in that space yet? Seems a shame to have these great new patios with a section empty right from the start.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I grew up in Charlottetown which is rarely foggy.

I spent nine years in Halifax, and the fog there felt warm and comforting. I enjoyed a foggy evening in Halifax.

Moncton can get very hot and humid in the summertime. I've grown to enjoy it, and I generally like the continental climate here. It can however occasionally become insufferable but, I work in an air conditioned environment and I now have central air conditioning at home which means I can get a restful night's sleep. There were times however, before we got central air, where my family and I would just have to escape down to Fundy Park in the summertime for relief.

I recall one time about 25 years ago where it was about 35C in Moncton with a humidex over 40, and we all piled into the car to go to Fundy. We ended up freezing in the fog down there. The temperature was no more than 12C or so. We had to come back.
New Brunswick definitely has some of the most crazy climate and temperature changes over a short stretch of land. Drive from one side to the other and you could experience 6 different weather events in a single day.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
New Brunswick definitely has some of the most crazy climate and temperature changes over a short stretch of land. Drive from one side to the other and you could experience 6 different weather events in a single day.
Absolutely! Try driving from Quispamsis to Saint John in summer. You can watch the outside temperature drop 10 degrees or more in 15 minutes sometimes.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Anything in that space yet? Seems a shame to have these great new patios with a section empty right from the start.
I heard that JSM Sports & Entertainment were going to open a country music place, but haven't seen anything official.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:21 PM

Patios ordered closed by Fire Marshal

https://saintjohn.ca/en/news-and-not...ardwalk-patios

Looks like they opened without sprinkler system and fire alarm having been being installed and functional.

Reading between the lines it looks like the SJFD and the city building inspector signed off on having "mitigation measures" and some sort of fire watch to make up for the lack of fire suppression and alarm but the Provincial Fire Marshal was not amused.

Raises the question of whether the SJFD and the building inspector were perhaps pressured by forces at city hall......or perhaps exceeded their authority?

Last edited by sailor734; Jun 6, 2024 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 6:59 PM

Quote:
We are generally well equipped and quite good for keeping warm but not always well prepared to keep cool. I'd actually take a bitterly cold and sunny January day anytime over a muggy July day with temps in the 30's.
Same here!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Why am I not surprised by this.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:24 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Why am I not surprised by this.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
I heard that JSM Sports & Entertainment were going to open a country music place, but haven't seen anything official.
Yes, JSM Sports and Entertainment is opening a bar in that location - just not sure the type of bar.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
Yes, JSM Sports and Entertainment is opening a bar in that location - just not sure the type of bar.
Is that the Sea Dogs ownership holding company?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
Opening sometime in August someone told me.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Is that the Sea Dogs ownership holding company?
Yes. The organization also has the contract to bring in events/concerts to the boardwalk area whenever the stage is done.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 1:14 AM

Weird that they would wait until August to open. Summer is more than half over by then. But then, given the glacial pace of work on the stage, maybe their timing will be right on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces