HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Interesting news out of Ontario yesterday - Province takes ownership of the Gardiner and Don Valley Parkway.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...nday-1.7040823

The City of Winnipeg should look at a deal to have the Province take Hwy 59 (Lagimodiere) out of the city hands and upgrade it through the city limits like Edmonton is doing with the Yellowhead. It really is the only actual divided highway that cuts through the city, and is one of the busiest.

...although you can see how long they are taking with the Perimeter upgrades.
Critically, the other side the quid pro quo is Toronto giving something Ontario wants, which was to step out of the way of a redevelopment project. What would Winnipeg have as a bargaining chip to trade with Manitoba?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
From 2011

That's the one, thanks Biff!

Build it.. The diamond interchange serves the industrial area which includes Simplot, Roquette and the other new plant.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 6:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Critically, the other side the quid pro quo is Toronto giving something Ontario wants, which was to step out of the way of a redevelopment project. What would Winnipeg have as a bargaining chip to trade with Manitoba?
A nice smile and a girlish figure?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 6:35 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Interesting news out of Ontario yesterday - Province takes ownership of the Gardiner and Don Valley Parkway.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...nday-1.7040823

The City of Winnipeg should look at a deal to have the Province take Hwy 59 (Lagimodiere) out of the city hands and upgrade it through the city limits like Edmonton is doing with the Yellowhead. It really is the only actual divided highway that cuts through the city, and is one of the busiest.

...although you can see how long they are taking with the Perimeter upgrades.
Yeah, Lag and one east west connection needs to be 6 lanes and fully grade separated.

For perimeter, yeah the timeline is major oof. There must be some federal funding to be had though to speed that whole thing up no? Or maybe to get one of the crosstown projects done?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 6:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
There must be some federal funding to be had though to speed that whole thing up no?
This is quite possible with Pallister out of the way.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 5:03 AM

Hwy 1 should at least be a freeway in the Portage La Prairie area (Hwy 16 to 26 and 1A exit) and Centreport Canada way, and from East End of Winnipeg to Richer MB

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
Hwy 1 should at least be a freeway in the Portage La Prairie area (Hwy 16 to 26 and 1A exit) and Centreport Canada way, and from East End of Winnipeg to Richer MB
This would be a waste of money, considering there is not enough traffic to justify a limited access freeway for the Trans-Canada highway. Sadly, we do not ahve the budget for it.

What we should be trying to do, is get rid of some at-grade sections of the Perimeter Highway, especially in the south end due to it's rapid growth. It's great that they are making St.Mary's Rd an overpass, but they should do the same for McGillivary, Kenaston, Waverley, and St.Annes.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
This would be a waste of money, considering there is not enough traffic to justify a limited access freeway for the Trans-Canada highway. Sadly, we do not ahve the budget for it.

What we should be trying to do, is get rid of some at-grade sections of the Perimeter Highway, especially in the south end due to it's rapid growth. It's great that they are making St.Mary's Rd an overpass, but they should do the same for McGillivary, Kenaston, Waverley, and St.Annes.
The PCs had announced McGillivray to start basically as soon as St Marys is done, with design work happening right now. I saw some WSP staff in the field near humptys doing what I can only assume is work related to the new interchange yesterday.

St Anne's Road is next after.

Sure the new NDP government can kibosh everything, but I would be really taken by surprise if they did. I would more likely imagine a scenario where these projects get put on a faster timeline if that's possible with all preliminary work needed before shovels hit the ground.

Hopefully Kenaston/Waverley after and start picking at the North Perimeter interchanges once that study is wrapped up.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 2:42 PM

There's a case to me made about having a national highway system like the interstate. The most basic part would be making the TCH a freeway along it's entire length. In Manitoba, make it #1 and #75 as national highways.

The Province it's focusing it's resources on the highest traffic volume region, the Perimeter highway.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 2:43 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There's a case to me made about having a national highway system like the interstate. The most basic part would be making the TCH a freeway along it's entire length. In Manitoba, make it #1 and #75 as national highways.

The Province it's focusing it's resources on the highest traffic volume region, the Perimeter highway.
That said, I’ll be curious to see if twinning the last bit of TCH will get federal funding.
Oh wait, we’re in deficit right now…

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 7:45 PM

I am not saying that the whole Hwy 1 has to be a freeway in Manitoba right now, but in the long term I'm hoping to see the whole Hwy 1 east and west of Winnipeg to be freeway, and Hwy 75. I may not see the whole Hwy 1 freeway in my lifetime, but Hwy 16 should get an interchange at least

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 8:11 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
I am not saying that the whole Hwy 1 has to be a freeway in Manitoba right now, but in the long term I'm hoping to see the whole Hwy 1 east and west of Winnipeg to be freeway, and Hwy 75. I may not see the whole Hwy 1 freeway in my lifetime, but Hwy 16 should get an interchange at least
A true freeway is not necessary in most places, though access points should be greatly limited. I think that they just need to clean up all the areas that currently justify lights. If there are lights, we need to find money to do it right.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 8:19 PM

It's not even about traffic volumes. It's about principal and predictability. Having 1 route that you know will have high speeds, good road conditions, and predictable travel times isn't that hard. But we know about priorities.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 8:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Indeed, the cross-country highway may be granted some exceptions due to its function. By that I mean, interchanges may be considered even with 4K AADT if crossroad traffic becomes too much.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 9:21 PM

Re the TCH and #16 interchange, I heard from some Portage residents that the big roundabout idea has been shelved. Apparently it wound up being quite large and would require a considerable amount of land purchases including moving the cemetery on the north side of the highway.

I myself would prefer a standard interchange and another one close to the Simplot plant as per Biff's diagram.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 9:24 PM

The NDP are unlikely to can projects that are close to being underway, such as the McGillivray interchange, but if past history is any guide, they have a habit of slashing the highways budget when money gets tight. It's the go-to move for them in those circumstances.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
Re the TCH and #16 interchange, I heard from some Portage residents that the big roundabout idea has been shelved. Apparently it wound up being quite large and would require a considerable amount of land purchases including moving the cemetery on the north side of the highway.

I myself would prefer a standard interchange and another one close to the Simplot plant as per Biff's diagram.
I would definetely agree with that. Having a full freeway interchange at Hwy 16 and 305 wouldn't make sense as 16 is a major highway while 305 is a minor road (except for the PLAP and St. Claude Segment, and 59 to 75) which is a gravel road for most of its length. And having a diamond interchange would not withstand the capacity for 16, but only with 305. I think it's better to have two seperate interchanges and a trumpet at 16. A trumpet is smaller, yet free flowing.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 12:21 AM

https://imgur.com/a/n8QQ25v

Hwy 11 and Grasswood road south of Saskatoon. This is like an at grade variant of a diamond interchange (slip lanes). I think this idea should be used a bit more in Manitoba. That could mark where a future interchange could be placed

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 1:08 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
https://imgur.com/a/n8QQ25v

Hwy 11 and Grasswood road south of Saskatoon. This is like an at grade variant of a diamond interchange (slip lanes). I think this idea should be used a bit more in Manitoba. That could mark where a future interchange could be placed
I get the idea, but it can get deceptive for drivers…

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I get the idea, but it can get deceptive for drivers…
You're right about that, for people who don't know, it would be deceptive. Similar problem with jughandles. Despite the confusion, I still find jughandles helpful

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan