HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 12:35 PM

Won't the two GoodLife's right across the street from each other cannibalize one another?

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 12:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
Won't the two GoodLife's right across the street from each other cannibalize one another?
There is a certain subset of women so intimidated by men that they would never darken the door of any co-ed fitness establishment, so no, the clientele for the two gymnasia would be entirely different.

The capacity is not changing, just the locations:
- The women's only Goodlife is just moving to another spot in the Sobeys development
- the 24 hour Goodlife is a replacement for the Main Street location downtown.

The only peculiar thing is that they would be across the street from one another, but everything else is status quo.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is a certain subset of women so intimidated by men that they would never darken the door of any co-ed fitness establishment...
There's also a subset of intimidated men who just stay home, drink beer and end up with chip crumbs all over myself.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 1:01 PM

I believe that there are two Good Life gyms in Brookside Mall; a Coed and a Women's gym. Apparently, it's a model that's working for Good Life at least.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 1:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
There's also a subset of intimidated men who just stay home, drink beer and end up with chip crumbs all over myself.
True enough, me included......

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Curiously, the new renders don't show what's going to go on to the south of the NBLC. We know there will be a little retail strip there in which the Shoe Tree will be relocated, and purportedly the GoodLife Women's location will be down there too. I wonder why they didn't include renders of the complete project??
Someone had said that there was going to be a dollar store as well (I assume Dollarama). Do you know anything about that? Also curious to know where you found renderings of this & Goodlife...

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 6:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
curious to know where you found renderings of this & Goodlife...
Most of the renderings I post come from the monthly Moncton PAC agenda.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 6:18 PM

When do the renovations begin on Sobeys?

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 6:50 PM

Thanks MonctonRad, I just discovered the Moncton PAC Agenda site after you mentioned it, great resource: https://www.moncton.ca/Government/De...___Agendas.htm

Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere here - While browsing through the May 23rd agenda I came across an interesting piece, they're proposing an Auto Mall where Rallye Hyundai is and by the looks of the photos, Rallye Motors Nissan would be going there which would leave that space (where Nissan currently resides) open to development. Nothing big but interesting none-the-less.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 8:18 PM

edit

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 12:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I see that signage is being installed for the new Stile store in the Empire Block on Main Street.

I really like how they've rejuvenated that building. This is what historical preservation should all be about.
Further to the above:

source: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...0b&oe=57A49F6D

They should really consider putting up a similarly styled sign on the workmen placement office next door.........

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Further to the above:

source: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...0b&oe=57A49F6D

They should really consider putting up a similarly styled sign on the workmen placement office next door.........

I completely agree MonctonRad, the work place businesses never have a sign and the buildings always seem to look vacant because of it.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 8:20 PM

Interesting tidbit from an Acadie Nouvelle article on upcoming sewer upgrades - http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...s-petitcodiac/

Quote:
Certains entrepreneurs attendent toutefois une amélioration des égouts afin de faire avancer de plus grands projets. C’est le cas de Thierry LeBouthiller.

«Toute infrastructure est la base fondamentale de tout développement. Si l’infrastructure n’est pas là, le développement ne peut pas venir après. C’est l’œuf ou la poule», a-t-il souligné.

Si la capacité est limitée, le centre-ville peut toujours accommoder de grands projets. Pour preuve, la construction du 55 rue Queen, un immeuble à logements de huit étages, devrait commencer prochainement.
Essentially, this echoes what I recently wrote about Lebouthilier waiting on Lewis/Queen reconstruction & sewer upgrades before proceeding with further projects but it also states that "construction of 55 Queen should start shortly" anyway. A word of caution that the author could be making this up.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Interesting tidbit from an Acadie Nouvelle article on upcoming sewer upgrades - http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...s-petitcodiac/

Essentially, this echoes what I recently wrote about Lebouthilier waiting on Lewis/Queen reconstruction & sewer upgrades before proceeding with further projects but it also states that "construction of 55 Queen should start shortly" anyway. A word of caution that the author could be making this up.
Well I can't see the journalist making something up and then adding it to their story, that wouldn't look good on him or Acadie Nouvelle, so chances are we can believe what is said, but just don't jump for joy until we see shovels in the ground. Now I am very sure that when the 55 queen project was first announced, they mentioned that the project was going to coincide with the new sewer upgrades and sidewalk upgrades, I wish we had the original stories, but I'm to lazy to look back through all the pages to find it. I can bet within weeks before or after the start of the sewer upgrades we will see dirt moving at 55 Queen.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 9:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yeah, I also don't think the journalist would (intentionally) make things up either (at least if they want to keep their employment). Unless he's mistaken, this might be our first indication that work on 55 Queen is imminent.

Like you though, I won't "jump for joy" until I see shovels in the ground.

I think there was some linkage between 55 Queen and the widening and realignment of Lewis Street. I think that's supposed to go ahead sometime this year too isn't it?

Also, FWIW, there was an article in the T&T today on the new Sobeys Extra store at Main & Vaughn Harvey, and similar to the Acadie Nouvelle article, there was a little throwaway comment at the end of the piece mentioning that work on the Junction Village development across the street was to commence "within the month".

Fingers crossed........

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 10:02 PM

Bad choice of words as you've both noted. I meant to say that the journalist might be assuming that construction is forthcoming based on stale information we've all heard for the past couple of years.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 10:04 PM

Also: as I've posted before, Queen/Lewis work is scheduled for next year.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 12:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Also: as I've posted before, Queen/Lewis work is scheduled for next year.
This just arrived from the City of Moncton today:

Quote:
May 13, 2016

MONCTON – The City of Moncton wishes to advise the motoring public that Steadman Street, between Main Street and Queen Street, will be closed to through traffic from Monday, May 16 until the end of September.

This closure is to permit the installation of a storm sewer main, water main and road reconstruction.

The City apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciates the patience and cooperation of residents and the motoring public.
So it's Steadman Street (next door) getting the royal treatment this year, not Lewis and Queen. If Lewis & Queen get done next year, it could be done concurrently with the construction of 55 Queen. That would actually make some sense in that all the traffic disruption would occur at the same time......

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 2:21 AM

I'm wondering why steadman this year? Is it possibly because queen and Lewis are a bigger project? I honestly wish the developers for 55 queen would just come out and give an update to people, so we all knew what the plan is. I know they planned on starting construction just before the new sewer instalments etc. But I wish we knew more.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I'm wondering why steadman this year? Is it possibly because queen and Lewis are a bigger project? I honestly wish the developers for 55 queen would just come out and give an update to people, so we all knew what the plan is. I know they planned on starting construction just before the new sewer instalments etc. But I wish we knew more.

Apparently the hold up on the queen st reconstruction is an aliant fiber trunk line. The city had scheduled this work for 2012 ish but when they discovered the underground lines they had to re engineer all the sewage etc. They had to come up with an "innovative" solution

So it took them 3 years to figure out they needed to move it to steadman to get the storm sewers to the river . Thats why steadman is being done first so it can handle the main outflows from queen/lewis. Was discussed at a council meeting a few weeks ago. So steadman this year.. queen lewis next year.

It will definialty clean up that area..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces