HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 8:10 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Thanks for the classic lower Manhattan photos.
I didn’t realize the big wide whitish “ziggurat” building was that old - I thought it was late 60’s early 70’s vintage. It’s very prominent being on the shore line.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Lower Manhattan of 1929-1958 was the greatest of all skylines. It will never be beaten.

The WTC twins were controversial during their lives because of their brute modernist minimalism and monstrous size, but I appreciated them for their imposing, no-nonsense quality. While not beautiful like all the art deco masterpieces, they were demonstrably impressive.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 10:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 10:54 PM
Great White Norf

Nice Hamilton aerials. The further out you zoom the more Soviet-esque it gets but then zooming back in you get a better appreciation of individual buildings.

Downtown Hamilton is improving one new build at a time.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 12:51 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Looks like downtown is really improving! I always hoped there would be a major revitalization there at some point since it has such great bones. Although I gotta say, I never noticed how few office buildings there are in central Hamilton. I wonder if it has the least downtown office space percapita of the country's major cities? Or perhaps even in absolute terms depending on the cut off to qualify as "major".

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 2:27 AM
Great White Norf

My speculation is that as Burlington (pop. 196k) and Oakville (pop. 232k) turned into large GTA suburbs that corporations opened up or expanded there that might otherwise had been in downtown Hamilton.

Burlington has always been known as wealthier and Oakville is arguably one of the wealthiest communities in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 4:24 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Great images, I've always liked Hamilton's downtown. There's a lot of potential for it to grow and become a hefty urban area, which it's now on its way to becoming. Hopefully that LRT that's been planned will start major construction soon, though I'm having doubts...theres been a LOT of foot dragging on it from my understanding.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 1:33 PM
I am the law!

Gentification is good for existing stock. The new towers going up are, by and large, overbearing mediocrity. The more that go up, the more the overbearing, stark nature will come into focus.

Hamilton has the number of office towers one would expect from a modernist manufacturing centre. Note: some have been converted since to residential and are completely unrecognizable as office buildings (like Chateau Royale)

Oakville and Burlington suburban office markets have only been around a few decades. Oakville has "stolen" more prospective tenants from Mississauga than Hamilton. I would say Burlington favours Mississauga than Hamilton too.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Gentification is good for existing stock. The new towers going up are, by and large, overbearing mediocrity. The more that go up, the more the overbearing, stark nature will come into focus.

Hamilton has the number of office towers one would expect from a modernist manufacturing centre. Note: some have been converted since to residential and are completely unrecognizable as office buildings (like Chateau Royale)

Oakville and Burlington suburban office markets have only been around a few decades. Oakville has "stolen" more prospective tenants from Mississauga than Hamilton. I would say Burlington favours Mississauga than Hamilton too.
What did Chateau Royale look like as an office?.. I would have never know.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 1:58 PM
I am the law!

It was two towers originally. They were merged together for the conversion.

https://imgur.com/undermount-office-...c-1979-B1NEtbO

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It was two towers originally. They were merged together for the conversion.

https://imgur.com/undermount-office-...c-1979-B1NEtbO
Oh...I prefer them as office towers personally. That was a sloppy conversion.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 3:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Hamilton has a bulky skyline, but it has too many nondescript buildings (rather like London, Ottawa, KW, etc.). Probably because the highrises in all of these cities are mostly residential, with banal balconies.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 6:58 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Hamilton has a bulky skyline, but it has too many nondescript buildings (rather like London, Ottawa, KW, etc.). Probably because the highrises in all of these cities are mostly residential, with banal balconies.
On the ground in Hamilton it feels like a more substantial city than London or KW, despite the seemingly dozens of commieblock high-rises.
Being more populous in the late 19th and early 20th century left Hamilton with some fantastic bones, particularly the impressive residential housing stock on attractive leafy/tree canopied streets.

Hamilton was larger than many Canadian cities dating back to the 1871 census
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ties_by_census

Streetview down Aberdeen Ave to see some fantastic houses
https://maps.app.goo.gl/z8feYG57WnBuDchH9
Hang a left from Aberdeen onto Ravenscliffe
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ixfwEJbJc8mcnfaa6

Currently for sale

On the ground you can see some really nice commercial stock whether old bank buildings, or the fantastic Gothic revival esque c.1929 Pigott building, Hamilton's first "skyscraper".

Weird fact: Allegedly from the time the building was abandoned as offices in the late 1970s til it was turned into condos the former elevator operator turned caretaker (Scottish guy called Willie) lived in the basement. He was interviewed and told media when he dies he's going to stay with the structure. People claim he's the resident ghost of the building to this day
https://www.thespec.com/life/hamilto...1a47a4c74.html
Video Link

Durand is one of my favourite neighbourhoods
https://historicalhamilton.com/durand/

Hamilton also benefits from having both lakefront and the Niagara escarpment. It's such a neat drive coming into downtown from those twisty escarpment roads.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Can you imagine finally seeing that (and the Statue of Liberty) after spending a couple weeks crossing the ocean cramped on a ship with a couple thousand other people?

It even gives me chills thinking about it.
I agree, that was the same feeling I got looking at it. I never realized just how long Manhattan has been impressive for, it goes wayyyyy back, that height and density sooo long ago. They were miles ahead of almost every 2024 city, but in the 20s, that's so wild. But the awe and bewilderment experienced by those immigrants is hard to fathom, it would have been unimaginable in Europe, but especially in Eastern Europe. The chills feeling I got seeing the picture is the same one I got seeing the opening scene of Angels in America. It was a play originally, and adapted into two @ 3 hours each episodes by HBO in 2003. It was that early 2000s era when US cable networks were just starting to come out with those really critically acclaimed shows, and becoming the dominant force in high quality critically loved series. And boy did HBO knock it out of the park, it was a masterclass in how to adapt a play and get it just right. So naturally it swept all the major awards top honours. Most impressive of all to me is that there were EIGHT top billing main actors, and every single one of them received an Emmy nomination for acting (either lead or supporting). That's astonishing, I've never heard of any tv show, miniseries, or even movie with eight actors nominated for a major acting category in the same year. Although many factors were at play, the critical success of this miniseries along with the same success for new weekly shows (aka Sopranos) really propelled HBO into a critical darling. Here's an interesting tidbit: from the first award given for Outstanding Drama in 1951 all the way to 2003, a network series has always won. Each and every year. NBC, ABC, CBS etc. But in 2004, Sopranos won it, a first for any non basic network (HBO). And astoundingly, since winning for the 1st time ever in 2004, a cable series has won the award every year since (2004-2024). It was so sudden, yet changed the playing field forever.

ANYWAYS, sorry I went off topic, but I really think it is one of the most well crafted films. It's a tough subject matter to tackle and very moving. But the reason I brought it up is because the opening scene is with a rabbi giving a eulogy at a funeral. But it was surprisingly poignant, one part of his eulogy really matched the feeling of that old time skyline and the gravity of those migrations. And you certainly don't need to be Jewish to appreciate or share the sentiments expressed, it's universal (also including a YouTube link to the performance in the show):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJ3PjeQ1NI

She was not a person but a whole kind of person, the ones who crossed the ocean, who brought with us to America the villages of Russia and Lithuania - and how we struggled, and how we fought, for the family, for the Jewish home, so that you would not grow up here, in this strange place, in the melting pot where nothing melted. Descendants of this immigrant woman, you do not grow up in America, you and your children and their children with the goyische names. You do not live in America. No such place exists. Your clay is the clay of some Litvak shtetl, your air the air of the steppes - because she carried the old world on her back across the ocean, in a boat, and she put it down on Grand Concourse Avenue, or in Flatbush, and she worked that earth into your bones, and you pass it to your children, this ancient, ancient culture and home.

You can never make that crossing that she made, for such great voyages in this world do not anymore exist. But every day of your lives the miles that voyage between that place and this one you cross. Every day. You understand me? In you that journey is.

Last edited by zahav; Sep 22, 2024 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 3:45 AM

Photo: Daniel_88 @ agoramtl.com

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 5:29 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
My speculation is that as Burlington (pop. 196k) and Oakville (pop. 232k) turned into large GTA suburbs that corporations opened up or expanded there that might otherwise had been in downtown Hamilton.

Burlington has always been known as wealthier and Oakville is arguably one of the wealthiest communities in Canada.
I think this is on the mark - lots of office space developed along the QEW in Burlington and Oakville, resulting in movement from the likes of Hamilton. Plus Hamilton's offices were often a "branch" of Toronto's. and tended to get closed for consolidation with those of the Big Smoke. Office space vacancy was big up until the pandemic, and was probably more prevalent during/after.

And I think Hamilton has much commercial office space in small buildings, but don't quote me on that.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 5:31 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
True!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 5:33 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
Oh...I prefer them as office towers personally. That was a sloppy conversion.
Yep

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 5:37 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post

Photo: Daniel_88 @ agoramtl.com
Love it.

Despite the "table top" and land-locked nature of the city

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 1:41 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada