HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:17 PM

I think the issue in Ottawa is competition. There aren't as many builders and condo buildings going up compared to Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and so buyers have much less choices.

Buyers may be "voting or choosing" Claridge today but not necessarily because they LOVE their buildings or designs but because it's one of the only options to potentially fit their bill (in terms of location & price). We typically have a handful of buildings hitting the market every year.

I would argue other than a few condo buildings in Ottawa, all the others are very similar in terms of design and finishes. If one builder really pushed the envelope of design, style, amenities, etc.. then I would think the others would need to adapt and increase their quality to match, but that's not the case today. And let's not forget these companies are there to make profits, they won't be willing to cut their profits to design or build a "better" building - not saying that's the right way to go, especially on Icon which is supposed to be your "masterpiece".

I'm sure prices also play an important part. Many condos are still available in Ottawa in the $300-$500K range where they might go for $500K-$800K in Toronto to build a very similar building, that's a lot more breathing room for builders to go higher, more unique, higher quality, etc...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 6:12 PM

When the target market is investors and speculators, why would any developer waste money on aesthetics?

It's too bad we can't have design reverie panels.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 12:08 AM

Spent the afternoon yesterday at the Tulip Festival and I would really love to hear what is happening with those balconies! If they are going to finish it then go ahead! If they are going to replace it then get moving on that too. How many years of Ottawa tourist photographs are going to include that unfinished beast of a building?

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 1:37 AM

This one deserves a double share.

Dow's skyline that Quall posted in the Canada section

https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comm...ver_dows_lake/

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 2:25 AM

Such an amazing shot! OP says he lives in the Alta Vista area. I have been fudging with angles on Google Maps 3D for 20 minutes and I can't figure out what building this was taken from. Anyone else have an idea?

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 2:47 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Such an amazing shot! OP says he lives in the Alta Vista area. I have been fudging with angles on Google Maps 3D for 20 minutes and I can't figure out what building this was taken from. Anyone else have an idea?
Wow, that is some serious foreshortening. Cool shot. Quite possibly taken from the new build at 1161 Heron Road, if I triangulated properly.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Wow, that is some serious foreshortening. Cool shot. Quite possibly taken from the new build at 1161 Heron Road, if I triangulated properly.
Ahhh yes. I should have looked for new buildings not yet on Google. Definitely taken from this building thanks!

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 1:20 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 1:33 PM

Owner/tenant: "My Balcony doesn't have glass!"
Claridge:

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 6:01 PM

I'm honestly surprised they stuck their name on it months (years?) before they finish the exterior. Even the NIMBY echo chambers on local Facebook groups have noticed that this thing is taking eons to complete and is a bit of an eyesore in it's current state.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 6:01 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Well, you are showing the before, Carling St facade, to the as-built, Preston St facade, but I know what you mean.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 7:31 PM

At least the Dow's Lake face looks good from afar. The Preston side will be partially obstructed by future towers.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:59 AM

How many years is it since the first apartments in this tower would have been purchased?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
How many years is it since the first apartments in this tower would have been purchased?
Eight years ago according to BuzzBuzzHome. Presumably those early purchasers would have had a chance to walk away at this point since the original occupancy dates were in 2016. Although I'm sure their property values have nearly doubled if they did decide to hang on.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumple-stilts View Post
Well, you are showing the before, Carling St facade, to the as-built, Preston St facade, but I know what you mean.
I can't find a direct face-on rendering from that angle, but I can tell you that the indirect renderings show similar railings.

http://d2kcmk0r62r1qk.cloudfront.net...con_render.jpg

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
Eight years ago according to BuzzBuzzHome. Presumably those early purchasers would have had a chance to walk away at this point since the original occupancy dates were in 2016. Although I'm sure their property values have nearly doubled if they did decide to hang on.
I don't think they anywhere near doubled. The prices they were charging back in 2014 had a lot of appreciation baked in that didn't really start until 2019 for condos and still isn't that substantial in many cases.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:24 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
What’s the story with the third from bottom balcony on the right? Different than all the others and doesn’t look half bad actually.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:33 PM

This tower looks great from a distance and gives Ottawa some much needed height, but looking at it up close in these pictures, all I can think is that it looks like shit... good from afar, far from good. It looks "messy" with all the awkward shaped un-uniform balconies. I'm sure the finished product wont look as bad, but still... somewhat disappointed with this one. I can see where they were going with the renders which aren't bad, but I think they missed the mark with the execution of the balconies.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:51 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

What I’m saying is that if all balconies end up looking like that third-from-bottom on the right one, then that wouldn’t be a bad result in the end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa