HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

BTW I reallly think the airport we have now is great
it could be great if they didnt cut corners. they went 36" on center pilings instead of what was called for 24" on center, im sure someone filled their pockets, but end result is that the place is sinking all over.

some pics from one of my flights and returning

they had to make a blacktop ramp to get luggage in the building, this picture was taken a year after opening

this is 7-8" ramp

airport to tarmac

upon returning, the road sank to the point that water pools and cant get to the drains

there is a huge dip in the road when you come down the ramp from departures, and where they ran the HVAC for baggage claim, it soaks the sheetrock. they paint over it and let it go. wet sheetrock molds...

im sure there are plenty other issues also, the plumbing was also affected from the sinking

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 12:00 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAslimm View Post
it could be great if they didnt cut corners. they went 36" on center pilings instead of what was called for 24" on center, im sure someone filled their pockets, but end result is that the place is sinking all over.

some pics from one of my flights and returning

they had to make a blacktop ramp to get luggage in the building, this picture was taken a year after opening

this is 7-8" ramp

airport to tarmac

upon returning, the road sank to the point that water pools and cant get to the drains

there is a huge dip in the road when you come down the ramp from departures, and where they ran the HVAC for baggage claim, it soaks the sheetrock. they paint over it and let it go. wet sheetrock molds...

im sure there are plenty other issues also, the plumbing was also affected from the sinking
Kenner is about the worst soil to build on one can imagine but yeah short sighted to do one type of pile for the building and not the rest because they will separate.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
when has the state of louisiana shown it can run anything successfully?
This is such a bad take it's funny.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Its join or die eventually but I think Baton Rouge and NOLA regions can easily work together if its done as a regional approach between the two metros... it shouldnt just be the city of baton rouge and new orleans leading this but all players in the two metros and really houma metro needs to be included in this as well as stennis space center

I always think the closest comparison is the bay area to here from a region and topography with a giant body of water in the middle of it
Agree. I see areas all around the country work together to build and share resources, but people in Louisiana are so damn "anti" with all the infighting, all it does it hold everyone back. DFW, Bay Area, South Florida, DC/Arlington, Tristate area. I can go on and on.

The main goal should be to generate DOLLARS and stimulate the economy. That's why the regional rail is so important to help the connectivity of the entire area. If New Orleans wins, so does BR and the entire SELA. And vice versa.

I just wish people there were more FORWARD thinking. Everybody's so anti progression, especially economically. YOU HAVE TO BUILD TO GENERATE DEMAND. People complain about not having anything to do (which is ridiculous in itself), but then when entities like TopGolf, Four Seasons, NOBU, Caesars, etc. come to town, people complain and say it's not needed. That pessimistic mindset needs to go ASAP.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingque View Post
Agree. I see areas all around the country work together to build and share resources, but people in Louisiana are so damn "anti" with all the infighting, all it does it hold everyone back. DFW, Bay Area, South Florida, DC/Arlington, Tristate area. I can go on and on.

The main goal should be to generate DOLLARS and stimulate the economy. That's why the regional rail is so important to help the connectivity of the entire area. If New Orleans wins, so does BR and the entire SELA. And vice versa.

I just wish people there were more FORWARD thinking. Everybody's so anti progression, especially economically. YOU HAVE TO BUILD TO GENERATE DEMAND. People complain about not having anything to do (which is ridiculous in itself), but then when entities like TopGolf, Four Seasons, NOBU, Caesars, etc. come to town, people complain and say it's not needed. That pessimistic mindset needs to go ASAP.
100% agree.. economically, neither BR or NOLA is setting the world on fire. But if they combined their economic resources- there’s no limit to what both metros can accomplish. Who knows maybe, a combined super region can compete with the likes of Houston- which has been eating New Orleans lunch for decades. That’s why I get excited for developments like the Biodistrict, Michoud assembly facility and the River District. It a sign that NOLA is growing and evolving- albeit slowly. But our ways of thinking have got to change if we want to really compete with Houston, Atlanta, Nashville etc.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingque View Post
This is such a bad take it's funny.
to get just slightly political for one second, the incoming administration has no desire to empower majority-black urban areas - they specifically said they'd want NOLA to be more like Charleston, not an urban metropolis. i'd love nothing more than for power to be taken away from the idiots currently running the city, but Jeff Landry is certainly no better. not because he's a republican, but because he has a track record for corruption - the same issue plaguing the current powers-that-be over NOLA - plus an antipathy towards urban ideals. i must say i'm somewhat impressed by the BR leadership though, in certain areas.

combining NOLA and BR would be great as well, but it's a little crazy to think we'd be able to compete with DFW or Houston. even with our combined populations, we're barely a quarter of their size, and have like 1% of their fortune 500 companies. there are certainly developments in NOLA to get excited about, but you are kidding yourself if you think Jeff Landry is bringing more jobs to New Orleans East - this is the guy who has been completely silent/absent in regional rail discussions and instead focuses on banning gay people in library books.

again, NOLA leadership sucks, more regional cooperation is needed, and things need to get built to generate jobs and capital. the state leadership has made us second-to-last in the country in everything for decades, not sure how they can help here, especially with the inherent urban ill-will from the incoming administration.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 5:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
to get just slightly political for one second, the incoming administration has no desire to empower majority-black urban areas - they specifically said they'd want NOLA to be more like Charleston, not an urban metropolis. i'd love nothing more than for power to be taken away from the idiots currently running the city, but Jeff Landry is certainly no better. not because he's a republican, but because he has a track record for corruption - the same issue plaguing the current powers-that-be over NOLA - plus an antipathy towards urban ideals. i must say i'm somewhat impressed by the BR leadership though, in certain areas.

combining NOLA and BR would be great as well, but it's a little crazy to think we'd be able to compete with DFW or Houston. even with our combined populations, we're barely a quarter of their size, and have like 1% of their fortune 500 companies. there are certainly developments in NOLA to get excited about, but you are kidding yourself if you think Jeff Landry is bringing more jobs to New Orleans East - this is the guy who has been completely silent/absent in regional rail discussions and instead focuses on banning gay people in library books.

again, NOLA leadership sucks, more regional cooperation is needed, and things need to get built to generate jobs and capital. the state leadership has made us second-to-last in the country in everything for decades, not sure how they can help here, especially with the inherent urban ill-will from the incoming administration.
Charleston is a very well run city and is growing quickly. I think you will be pleasantly surprised the attitude Jeff will have towards NOLA. ITs going to be quite different from any previous administration thats all I will say.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 5:14 PM
-

A few of renderings of River District I havent seen before

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Charleston is a very well run city and is growing quickly. I think you will be pleasantly surprised the attitude Jeff will have towards NOLA. ITs going to be quite different from any previous administration thats all I will say.
I am trying to be cautiously optimistic, but history is not on Jeff's side, and I don't blame residents for being skeptical of his sudden change of heart (in terms of being friendly toward New Orleans). Why is his attitude just now changing regarding the city?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 6:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post
I am trying to be cautiously optimistic, but history is not on Jeff's side, and I don't blame residents for being skeptical of his sudden change of heart (in terms of being friendly toward New Orleans). Why is his attitude just now changing regarding the city?
Because hes governor and not attorney general. BTW someone can love NOLA but not like its leadership and the way its run. I cant raise enough hands myself to say i feel that way. That said success of the state is intrinsically tied to the city and thats just a fact. Want to be a successful governor , make NOLA the best it can be and that may entail neutering its horrible leadership which is a direct result of its generally uneducated population electing crook after crook. The only decent mayor by the city's standards that it has had in decades was Mitch.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 6:53 PM
-

North Shore Updates

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Because hes governor and not attorney general. BTW someone can love NOLA but not like its leadership and the way its run. I cant raise enough hands myself to say i feel that way. That said success of the state is intrinsically tied to the city and thats just a fact. Want to be a successful governor , make NOLA the best it can be and that may entail neutering its horrible leadership which is a direct result of its generally uneducated population electing crook after crook. The only decent mayor by the city's standards that it has had in decades was Mitch.
I agree that one can love the city but not the leadership. Nonetheless, his disdain for the city's liberal stance on social issues such as LGBTQ, abortion, gerrymandering and political representation, equal rights, etc, isn't exactly subtle, and he makes no qualms about expressing his conservative ideologies that are in sharp contrast with the city's overall stance as being a blue oasis in an otherwise oppressively red state. His comment "bending the city to his will," didn't exactly help either. But again, I am choosing to go into 2024 with an open mind. Words are words, but actions mean everything -- so let's see what he does! I don't want any leader to fail, and as you said-- it is only in Louisiana's best interest to have a thriving and prosperous New Orleans.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 5:15 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post
I agree that one can love the city but not the leadership. Nonetheless, his disdain for the city's liberal stance on social issues such as LGBTQ, abortion, gerrymandering and political representation, equal rights, etc, isn't exactly subtle, and he makes no qualms about expressing his conservative ideologies that are in sharp contrast with the city's overall stance as being a blue oasis in an otherwise oppressively red state. His comment "bending the city to his will," didn't exactly help either. But again, I am choosing to go into 2024 with an open mind. Words are words, but actions mean everything -- so let's see what he does! I don't want any leader to fail, and as you said-- it is only in Louisiana's best interest to have a thriving and prosperous New Orleans.
Yeah Jeff Landry is a moron and I'm not looking forward to what will happen in this state which was already pretty bleak.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 2:45 PM

I love the new images of the River District. I hope the reality is similar to the projections.

Since I live a long distance away and don't get to NO very often, I appreciate the photos. I hope all of you can post more photos of the River District construction and progress. Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 5:31 PM

Are there shovels in the ground yet since they broke ground ? Also is the old Archdiocese’s building project still moving along ?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDot View Post
Are there shovels in the ground yet since they broke ground ? Also is the old Archdiocese’s building project still moving along ?
I drove by the Archdiocese building recently, and it looked like there has been some regular activity there. It was a Sunday, so I didn't actually see any work happening, but it definitely looked like things are progressing.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 11:20 PM

finally announced which two floors will be NOBU at Caesars New Orleans, the 14th and 15th, top floors...in Vegas the rooms are very small unless you get a suite, the top floors are all suites for New Orleans

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...nment-featured

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 7:10 PM

correction and from the GM, Caesars new hotel does have a 16th floor as they skip 13, so Nobu will have normal rooms and large suites but the top floor will be Caesars extra large suites

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 3:48 AM

Quote:
"That said success of the state is intrinsically tied to the city and thats just a fact." --- This. I feel like this is a fact that most of the rest of the state has been ignoring for decades. Having any acknowledgement of this fact from the powers that be in Baton Rouge would be a win-win for the state/city if it came to be, regardless of who was in charge. The typical urban/rural and NOLA/BR rivalries only weaken us and are very shortsighted. Someone said it earlier, forward thinking requires us to realize that in a small, poor state a rising tide lifts all boats and we all need to row in the same direction to make this place better.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 9:37 PM

support frame going up and pre-painted shipping containers on site for smalls sliders

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations