HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 5:29 PM

https://imgur.com/a/oy0UNaG

Since the Portage la Prairie West interchange is in the works, the interchange on the east side of town should get a redesign too. This one lessens the need for two intersections very close together. 26 and 1A should be one interchange, and hwy 1 could be more aerodynamic.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 5:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
https://imgur.com/a/Ew6lpbk

This would be the Elie interchange if it was a diamond. It would only take away a few parking lots really. Using a parclo would be unnecessary
The tricky thing is the patrol yard west of the river. Should it be relocated onto 248 to consolidate service and access?
I thought about reserving the current access to the patrol yard for authorized vehicles only, but boy would people ignore that sign and come right onto TCH EB.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
The tricky thing is the patrol yard west of the river. Should it be relocated onto 248 to consolidate service and access?
I thought about reserving the current access to the patrol yard for authorized vehicles only, but boy would people ignore that sign and come right onto TCH EB.
It would be better to move it

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 7:35 PM

https://imgur.com/a/DM0ohU1

Hwy 16 interchange

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 9:12 PM

Quote:

Hwy 16 interchange
Hopefully the NDP government is sensible enough to scrap the proposed roundabout and implement something like this.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Hopefully the NDP government is sensible enough to scrap the proposed roundabout and implement something like this.
I agree with that. Even though I would perfer a full free flowing interchange like on the Perimeter and 59, at least this is better than a roundabout. A roundabout would be a bad idea especially in a high traffic zone like that. Hwy 2 and 3 are different as they are 2 lane roads. Roundabouts don't really work on four lane roads IMO.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 12:54 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
In the case of roundabouts, using $200 millions to find the murder victims may be a better use of the money.

Not doing anything may beats spending money and effort to make it worse…

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
In the case of roundabouts, using $200 millions to find the murder victims may be a better use of the money.

Not doing anything may beats spending money and effort to make it worse…
Maybe you're right. For now they could convert that intersection to a roundabout and one day hopefully retrofit a dumbell interchange

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:25 PM

Quote:
I agree with that. Even though I would perfer a full free flowing interchange like on the Perimeter and 59, at least this is better than a roundabout. A roundabout would be a bad idea especially in a high traffic zone like that. Hwy 2 and 3 are different as they are 2 lane roads. Roundabouts don't really work on four lane roads IMO.
I recently did a fair bit of driving in Ireland, and I have to say that roundabouts work really well on four lane roads including high traffic zones. I wonder if we're reluctant to adopt them here on a large scale because we fear that no one would know how to use them.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutlander View Post
I recently did a fair bit of driving in Ireland, and I have to say that roundabouts work really well on four lane roads including high traffic zones. I wonder if we're reluctant to adopt them here on a large scale because we fear that no one would know how to use them.
How much commercial traffic uses those roundabouts in Ireland? If it’s similar to or even more than what’s currently on TCH, it may work. Otherwise, we do have to use interchanges with roundabouts at the legs only (like the freeway upgrade in the eastern exurbs of Regina).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:32 PM

There is a large amount of commercial transport on those roads over there. I'm talking anecdotally, of course, no studies to compare our roads to theirs, but large volumes of transport trucks shipping from there to UK and Europe (where again, roundabouts are everywhere).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 6:33 PM

Roundabouts of the freeway mainline should be banished to the Sun. Roundabouts everywhere else are okay. Still not a fan of them being proposed at every single freeway offramp. But maybe thats just me.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 7:16 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Roundabouts of the freeway mainline should be banished to the Sun. Roundabouts everywhere else are okay. Still not a fan of them being proposed at every single freeway offramp. But maybe thats just me.
I actually don't mind the roundabouts to control the freeway on and off ramps. That said, they never, ever, ever belong on major expressway routes for the through lanes. Other than never having them on expressways, they're basically appropriate any time that two roads come together, depending on the volumes of traffic.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 5:34 AM

Or maybe on Hwy 1 and 16, the current intersection should be converted to a split intersection, almost like an at grade variant of a diamond interchange, except in the future when the cost justifies it, the province could retrofit an overpass in between the two lanes of Hwy 1.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:57 PM

I haven't heard a peep on the roundabout at 1 and 16 since it was announced a couple years ago.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:59 PM

Quote:

Hwy 16 interchange
Something like that was proposed for the interchange.

There were a couple different proposals. IIRC it was a trumpet that was the preferred option. There was also a 3 looped cloverleaf of some kind. Will see if I can find that again.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:10 PM
What could go wrong?

From 2011

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
From 2011

https://www.valueanalysis.ca/upload/...%20to%20VE.pdf

Here's a link to a slide deck by MMM group, looks like a presentation on value engineering and how they were able to shave some of the cost from this project. 85 million is 111 million in today's dollars using the BoC calculator. Not sure if that is just the 1/16 interchange or both of them presented.

I know construction suffered a bit higher inflation than typical household budgets, but this is a rough idea of where the project would sit financially today.

I don't think they can plunk in a roundabout for less than 20 million so to use that money only for it to be torn up and properly built would be a huge waste. Might as well keep it the way things are until the proper funds are available for this (or similar design) project.

Last edited by WildCake; Nov 28, 2023 at 2:30 PM. Reason: forgot link

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:37 PM
There is always a way

Build it then!! If money is fake anyways, just pour truckloads of cash on roads
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 4:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Interesting news out of Ontario yesterday - Province takes ownership of the Gardiner and Don Valley Parkway.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...nday-1.7040823

The City of Winnipeg should look at a deal to have the Province take Hwy 59 (Lagimodiere) out of the city hands and upgrade it through the city limits like Edmonton is doing with the Yellowhead. It really is the only actual divided highway that cuts through the city, and is one of the busiest.

...although you can see how long they are taking with the Perimeter upgrades.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan