HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
It will make a great public restroom for the homeless and drunk, though.
Yup, what's wrong with people here? I was walking around Gastown Saturday and the whole place stank like putrid pee. There should be cops on beat patrol nabbing them and imposing huge fines.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Damn, there is no beating homeless and drunk in this game!

With regards to Hudson's Bay, they should try installing speakers in front of the doors to play classical music 24/7 or at least after closing. That should make solicitors to move away.
There should be water jets that shoot at them if they pee into the water feature. That would be fun. Gotta employ 'em technology.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Why don't they use more reflective glass? Because people will think they won't see out clearly? So developers don't use it? I think that's bs since these buildings are usually sold out before the glass goes up.
I thought the City frowns on mirrored glass because people will think it's an office building? and the voyeurs at City Hall want to look in.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 8:48 PM

Quote:
It looks really odd to have two such a distictively different colors. Why didn't they just use more reflecting glass, like they used on One Wall Centre? No privacy problem there.

Hah! I always pictured Klaus as a geezer, instead he's a hunk!

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 10:28 PM

Pic by me today.

Just noticed that the "crevice" has started (circled) - it was also in the May 21st pic

Also, based on the model, there may be darker glazing down the middle of the south side, too.
It could be to make the "sections" stand out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post

All pix by Built Form

Last edited by officedweller; May 25, 2015 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
There should be water jets that shoot at them if they pee into the water feature. That would be fun. Gotta employ 'em technology.
Someone has been watching Demolition Man lately, admit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimswitch View Post
Hah! I always pictured Klaus as a geezer, instead he's a hunk!
What the? Either your definition of hunk is very different or then you are not seeing straight. I have appeared on many photos in the hiking trail threads in the past. Just your regular office geek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
Sounds like the tenants are moving in: https://twitter.com/timbray/status/602874205382713344
Yep, a friend working for Amazon said that they have taken occupancy today. Amazon is located on floors 10-14. I am surprised that they didn't take more floors than that, considering all the talk about them hiring 1000 people? I know that their employees have very tiny desk, but even then... Could they really fit 250 people on a floor?

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 11:25 PM

On an unrelated, there is a crazy crow having a nest along Richard just south of Robson. Be careful with it if admiring the tower going up, as the crow will be hitting you in the head! I had it happen to me and the guy on the other sie of the street.

Needless to say that I won't be walking that strecth any time soon.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 1:07 AM

What is the purpose of the rounded corner at the top of the condo tower in the model?
It doesn't seem to relate to anything, and looks like an after thought. Or is it because of a viewcone slicing through the site?

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 1:46 AM

Looks like more patio space facing English Bay to me. Very nice space, I am sure, but like you say, it doesn't tie in with anything.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 6:47 PM

Quote:

Yep, a friend working for Amazon said that they have taken occupancy today. Amazon is located on floors 10-14. I am surprised that they didn't take more floors than that, considering all the talk about them hiring 1000 people? I know that their employees have very tiny desk, but even then... Could they really fit 250 people on a floor?
10-14 was the original lease. They have taken additional premises that comprise the 15th to 17th floors. Equates to about 155,000 sq ft, or 150 sq ft per employee which is pretty standard nowadays for a tech operation.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Looks like more patio space facing English Bay to me. Very nice space, I am sure, but like you say, it doesn't tie in with anything.
Maybe there was a viewcone violation previously and someone in Council had a heartattack when he found out?

I do like the curved floors though, as they give a little bit of contrast on top.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Or is it because of a viewcone slicing through the site?
Correct.
The balance of the top of the tower sits in the "view shadow" established by Scotia Tower, so it is allowed to exceed the view cone.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
What is the purpose of the rounded corner at the top of the condo tower in the model?
It doesn't seem to relate to anything, and looks like an after thought. Or is it because of a viewcone slicing through the site?
I think the idea is to "break up" the core of the tower so the east and west facing boxey bits feel more distinct. Which I think might be the underlying rational for the dark glass North and South as well. It does look a little messy on the model, but I'm cautiously optimistic that it will look better in real life.

I am really coming around on this tower (at least from a distance). The massing is pretty great, and I love how clever their solution to the viewcone rules was.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Correct.
The balance of the top of the tower sits in the "view shadow" established by Scotia Tower, so it is allowed to exceed the view cone.
It's awesome that Scotiabank tower was built that high way back then. Now there is hope to build a few tall buildings behind Shangrila and Trump huh?

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
you mean electrify it right?

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 2:41 AM

I am surprised that they seem to be still having those small window vents open on the office tower even after Amazonians moved in. One would think that not being the best use of energy in an ecological building? The traffic noise must also be distractive inside the office floors (it was very prevalent even on the 45th floor that I used to live in). Ain't there any A/C in there or are they saving on money? :shrung:

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 2:51 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
I am surprised that they seem to be still having those small window vents open on the office tower even after Amazonians moved in. One would think that not being the best use of energy in an ecological building? The traffic noise must also be distractive inside the office floors (it was very prevalent even on the 45th floor that I used to live in). Ain't there any A/C in there or are they saving on money? :shrung:
Part of LEED certification, as has been explained to me.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:21 AM

Just for certification or an ongoing thing? I would hate to try having a phone conference with noise of the street traffic below in the background. Open concept offices can be annoyingly noisy on their own already...

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Part of LEED certification, as has been explained to me.
yep, passive cooling and having room temperature at around 23-26, cant remember exactly. you'll definitely know it's a gold/platinum LEED building when you use their washroom... low flush toilets, no flush urinals, and usually inadequate ventilation :/

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post

All pix by Built Form
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Also, based on the model, there may be darker glazing down the middle of the south side, too.
It could be to make the "sections" stand out more.

May 26 '15, my pics

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver