HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 5:17 PM

I was in Upper (and mid?) Lonsdale this past weekend for a bit and was happily surprised with its vibrancy and the quality of new development. I can't recall the last time I was in the neighbourhood, easily 15+ years ago, and it's quite the change. Good job, City of North Vancouver. Colour me impressed.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
But the buildings are all short and there are no malls!

How did good things happen?
You just can't help it, can you?

The market is essentially functioning like a mall (indoor and outdoor retail!). Plenty of retail, a couple of hotels, a museum (and one more to come), and high-density towers around make this possible. of course, the view of downtown Vancouver and the tall buildings help tremendously too. These amenities are all bankrolled by the condo tower developments around: they may not be the tallest, but at least they are not short 6-storey ones along Cambie, with zero public amenities to boot.

Please stop your childish behaviour. Your snide remark is getting rather old.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Please stop your childish behaviour. Your snide remark is getting rather old.
No, no I don't think I will.

So Lonsdale and it's public market and short buildings have succeeded because of it's "kind-of-a-mall" mall, but Oakridge/Cambie with its "actual-mall' mall has failed because...

Also, Since public markets have now joined your list of things Vin randomly considers malls, perhaps it would be easier if you gave us a list of the 3-4 things you don't consider to be malls so we can all keep up with whatever your random thought process is. From past discussions I understand it to also contain random big box stores and towers with a few CRU units in the base? Where does a food truck parked next to another food truck fall on your spectrum?

And the view of downtown's tall buildings helps a place without tall buildings succeed? Doesn't Olympic village have a view of downtown's tall buildings too? Isn't that place on Vin's special list of objectively failed neighbourhoods? Also aren't you convinced downtown is failing because they don't allow tall towers like Burnaby?

Your line of reasoning gets more and more circuitous by the day. Never change Vin.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 10:24 PM

West Van open to taller Park Royal towers

By Brent Richter, North Shore News | July 25, 2019

At left, a developer’s rendering of the proposed 11- and 14-storey towers at Park Royal, as approved in 2018. At right, the same buildings with five additional storeys | Image: Supplied

Though excavation and construction are already under way, West Vancouver council will soon be considering whether to add more floors to two already approved residential towers at Park Royal.

In May 2018, the previous council rezoned the property at 752 Marine Dr. to hold 203 rental apartments in 11- and 14-storey towers. On Monday, representatives from Park Royal were back before council to make a rare request to restart the process in hopes of adding more density.

https://biv.com/article/2019/07/west...k-royal-towers

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 12:28 AM

Well it does look better with the added height.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 10:51 AM

its a realtor video but its a good look at the shipyards

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:18 AM

District of North Vancouver council says no to towers on North Shore Winter Club land
https://biv.com/article/2019/07/dist...nter-club-land

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:33 AM

SeaBus service will increase to every ten minutes during rush hour Monday to Friday (7:00-9:30 AM, 3:00-6:30 PM) effective September 3rd. The Burrard Beaver is being brought back into service to accomodate the revised schedule. The new Burrard Chinook is currently undergoing sea trials.

https://www.translink.ca/About-Us/Me...-sailings.aspx

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
SeaBus service will increase to every ten minutes during rush hour Monday to Friday (7:00-9:30 AM, 3:00-6:30 PM) effective September 3rd. The Burrard Beaver is being brought back into service to accomodate the revised schedule. The new Burrard Chinook is currently undergoing sea trials.

https://www.translink.ca/About-Us/Me...-sailings.aspx
Possible issue will be passengers arriving at the Quay on the SeaBus and there are no buses synced with the new sailing frequency.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Possible issue will be passengers arriving at the Quay on the SeaBus and there are no buses synced with the new sailing frequency.
I don't think that will be a significant problem. Currently, with fifteen-minute service, there's a SeaBus arriving at (roughly) 5:00 PM, 5:15, 5:30, 5:45 and 6:00. The 5:00/5:30/6:00 arrivals won't change, the 5:15/5:45 sailings will arrive 5 minutes early (5:10/5:40) and an extra sailing will arrive at 5:20/5:50. I'd guess that passengers will be happier to potentially get across 15-20 minutes earlier (5:30 instead of 5:45, 5:40 instead of 6:00 assuming full boats).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:58 AM

Quote:
I don't think that will be a significant problem. Currently, with fifteen-minute service, there's a SeaBus arriving at (roughly) 5:00 PM, 5:15, 5:30, 5:45 and 6:00. The 5:00/5:30/6:00 arrivals won't change, the 5:15/5:45 sailings will arrive 5 minutes early (5:10/5:40) and an extra sailing will arrive at 5:20/5:50. I'd guess that passengers will be happier to potentially get across 15-20 minutes earlier (5:30 instead of 5:45, 5:40 instead of 6:00 assuming full boats).
Can confirm. I sometimes miss the bus anyway with the existing schedule, so I'd rather be waiting on the other side of the Inlet.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
No, no I don't think I will.

So Lonsdale and it's public market and short buildings have succeeded because of it's "kind-of-a-mall" mall, but Oakridge/Cambie with its "actual-mall' mall has failed because...

Also, Since public markets have now joined your list of things Vin randomly considers malls, perhaps it would be easier if you gave us a list of the 3-4 things you don't consider to be malls so we can all keep up with whatever your random thought process is. From past discussions I understand it to also contain random big box stores and towers with a few CRU units in the base? Where does a food truck parked next to another food truck fall on your spectrum?

And the view of downtown's tall buildings helps a place without tall buildings succeed? Doesn't Olympic village have a view of downtown's tall buildings too? Isn't that place on Vin's special list of objectively failed neighbourhoods? Also aren't you convinced downtown is failing because they don't allow tall towers like Burnaby?

Your line of reasoning gets more and more circuitous by the day. Never change Vin.
Oakridge failing?

Well maybe they would've done much better if it isn't surrounded by SFHs, as in, tall residential buildings such as Metrotown, hmm?

Olympic Village doesn't have a mall, a public market, or anything that can anchor its public square to make it a truly vibrant neighbourhood. Other than going there for some beer, it's pretty dead at night. In fact, the downtown and water views from OV most likely helps its few restaurants, and create the vibrancy along its waterfront for joggers and those out for a nice walk.

Oh, I never said downtown doesn't have tall buildings: I'm saying all the wrong policies in the recent decades have helped the suburb municipalities catch up in many areas, with even having better retailing and vastly improving F&B offerings than Vancouver's city centre. At this rate, the burbs, such as Lonsdale Quay, will be the new hanging out places for local residents. It is already happening: you should see the crowds at Lonsdale Quay and New Westminster Friday evenings as well as weekends.

Why would I change?

And while you continue to be amazed at Vancouver's current backwater development and marvel Pacific Centre's single retail expansion, Toronto is already taking the next leap forward, and yes, that includes adding more mall spaces, transit hubs and tall buildings: something you frown upon and deny existing, especially with the mall part. Wrong again buddy!

https://www.blogto.com/city/2017/01/...oject-toronto/

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-t...pment-toronto/

Last edited by Vin; Jul 30, 2019 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:38 AM

Quote:
But you're also dumping more people into the exchange when most of the buses except for the 239 (and a future RapidBus) are all timed for those runs and the current capacity in traffic crossing over. What's the point of potentially getting across early to wait in a line at the Quay and possibly a missed bus connection if it's full.

Also, I guess they would rework the bus capacity it if they change this from a 2-Zone to a 1-Zone (distance wise) fare since the traffic would probably spike for people currently opting for a regular bus to the North Shore.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Oakridge failing?

Well maybe they would've done much better if it isn't surrounded by SFHs, as in, tall residential buildings such as Metrotown, hmm?

Olympic Village doesn't have a mall, a public market, or anything that can anchor its public square to make it a truly vibrant neighbourhood. Other than going there for some beer, it's pretty dead at night. In fact, the downtown and water views from OV most likely helps its few restaurants, and create the vibrancy along its waterfront for joggers and those out for a nice walk.

Oh, I never said downtown doesn't have tall buildings: I'm saying all the wrong policies in the recent decades have helped the suburb municipalities catch up in many areas, with even having better retailing and vastly improving F&B offerings than Vancouver's city centre. At this rate, the burbs, such as Lonsdale Quay, will be the new hanging out places for local residents. It is already happening: you should see the crowds at Lonsdale Quay and New Westminster Friday evenings as well as weekends.

Why would I change?

And while you continue to be amazed at Vancouver's current backwater development and marvel Pacific Centre's single retail expansion, Toronto is already taking the next leap forward, and yes, that includes adding more mall spaces, transit hubs and tall buildings: something you frown upon and deny existing, especially with the mall part. Wrong again buddy!

https://www.blogto.com/city/2017/01/...oject-toronto/

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-t...pment-toronto/
Yes I agree!

Ugh,
Those Toronto developments would work well here! Oh well

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 3:59 AM

Kokoro is opening in the suddenly closed Captains Boil! That didn't last long at all. Kokoro is an *excellent* brothless ramen place that has a location on Seymour

Nemesis Coffee is now targeting the fall for its opening in the Polygon Museum. Can't wait for that one. Consistently rated top 3 coffee place in Vancouver.

Big Pete's Comic Shop moved onto 1st from Lonsdale.

I heard Cactus Club might open in Lonsdale Quay, but its still a year or two away.

Bit worried about the shops opening at the Shipyards. My guess is it will take a year or two before there is a consistent people flow there. Larry's market and ice cream look like ghost towns most of the time. I wonder if it would of been better to wait for the CapU or Joey's opening.

As to the welcome 10 minute seabus frequency bring it on. First a significant amount of people getting off the seabus don't catch a bus at all, they seem to live in Lower Lonsdale and just walk. Also the B-Line will be starting soon enough, and that should carry any increased amount of folk

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 5:13 AM

I went down there on friday night, the two places were busy, the ice cream place had a long line up. This was probably due to the food truck fest thing they have every friday evening, with a market and live band.

The ice rink area was closed off and there is still a lot of work going on. Where will the Joey go?

The hotel has bath tubs in it as you can see them right by the big windows.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I went down there on friday night, the two places were busy, the ice cream place had a long line up. This was probably due to the food truck fest thing they have every friday evening, with a market and live band.

The ice rink area was closed off and there is still a lot of work going on. Where will the Joey go?

The hotel has bath tubs in it as you can see them right by the big windows.
Joey is going on the east side of the building facing the water (underneath the hotel). They'll have two floors.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 6:51 AM

Signs for the new Mountain Highway eastbound exit (Exit 21) are up just east of the Lynn Valley overpass and part-way down the Cut. As of today, they still need to pave the new off-ramp but this may indicate that it is getting near opening day.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 3:22 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Crazy and I bet there are many more stories like that. Kinda like that online service or gym you signed up for and really dont use but your credit card gets tagged every month And there never is an easy way to stop the charges

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley