HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 6:47 AM
World Traveler

That one seems as though the off-set blocks move in all four directions rather than simply two like the Independent.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 11:29 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
That one seems as though the off-set blocks move in all four directions rather than simply two like the Independent.
It also appears for some sections as if they’re rotated on an axis slightly from others.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
I don't have a problem with the mesh, I think it actually looks good: it sufficiently hides the mechanical floors to take the edge off, and it's kind of cool how its apparent transparency changes with light and viewing angle. It's that they skipped the top row, leaving empty stakes poking into the sky, that is really bothersome.

One more thing: the folks on this board are so used to over-analyze building appearances (myself included) that we tend to loose sight of the forest for a broken branch. I bet an average person looking at the building doesn't notice the empty top row on the crown, and/or doesn't think much of it.
I've driven two out of town visitors through town on Mopac in the past month. Both gave unsolicited opinions about the Independent. One said it "just looks dumb" and the other offered that it was "Different, I guess". Neither are architectural junkies, but both took note of the changes in Austin's overall skyline.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I've driven two out of town visitors through town on Mopac in the past month. Both gave unsolicited opinions about the Independent. One said it "just looks dumb" and the other offered that it was "Different, I guess". Neither are architectural junkies, but both took note of the changes in Austin's overall skyline.
I get their reaction to it. You don't have to be an architectural enthusiast or junkie as you put it to appreciate the Independent, but it does help. In a city with multiple signature towers of decent height, something this quirky wouldn't stand out as much, but until we get some of those built here, the Independent is one of our few landmark structures susceptible to both positive and negative critique. Fortunately, not for long. In five years, the Independent will be the quirky diversion from the sleek new signatures popping up dt. I certainly don't want it to define our skyline as I think it does now, but I don't mind it eventually being part of it.

Last edited by the Genral; Sep 30, 2018 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 2:50 AM
Just Some Dude

Miami's is one beautiful building. Wonder how it likes hurricanes.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 3:01 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouthman1 View Post
Brutal.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 3:08 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That Miami tower really looks nice. It even looks like a more mis-stacked blocks tower.

Can an architect please have an original idea? I'm so tired of stacked boxes.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouthman1 View Post
A close look at the renderings show a bit of visible exterior cross trussing. I know that makes a building look more muscular, but I suspect it also about preparing the structure for hurricane force winds as well as normal building sway. I kind of like this Miami proposal because the different stacked cubes appear be somewhat twisted, and there is NO UGLY WIRE MESH SCREEN on the roof. Here is a link with some additional renderings of the project. If you click any of the three pics, there is a pretty cool video with lots of close up detail.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=13...FChV0JSeEw2GM:

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 2:43 AM

Capital City Moscow Towers

Miami looks more like a rip off of these.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 2:44 PM

What's upsetting is that the Independent looks worse than the Russian towers, the Miami tower, and the New Jersey tower...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:38 PM

I can't get past the screen. It does look awful. I've tried to be open minded, and maybe if they light it at night....it may come together, but it looks like a dirty fence around a dumpster at the top of the building.

They should at least paint it white, it appears to need a good power wash.

I remember seeing the finish out and the balcony screens.....and I think this was a cash grab by the developer- much like the 360 (not hating, good for them), and for the money they got per sqft, the Austonian finish out was FAR superior. Granted they are repairing all the balconies, but at least they looked expensive.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I can't get past the screen. It does look awful. I've tried to be open minded, and maybe if they light it at night....it may come together, but it looks like a dirty fence around a dumpster at the top of the building.
Wow!!! That's EXACTLY the way I would describe it and was going say the same thing (about covering up a dumpster) especially after seeing it in the background with the A380 on the ABIA thread. At the risk of beating a dead horse, it doesn't do the rest of the building any justice. It might improve with a lighter shade of paint, but as it is, fail.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Wow!!! That's EXACTLY the way I would describe it and was going say the same thing (about covering up a dumpster) especially after seeing it in the background with the A380 on the ABIA thread. At the risk of beating a dead horse, it doesn't do the rest of the building any justice. It might improve with a lighter shade of paint, but as it is, fail.
Guys, guys, guys... We have to understand that it's an architect's job to incorporate a new structure into it's surroundings. The awful crown really ties it into the substation and electrical lines of the surrounding area.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
Guys, guys, guys... We have to understand that it's an architect's job to incorporate a new structure into it's surroundings. The awful crown really ties it into the substation and electrical lines of the surrounding area.
Good point, and also the cooling tower nearby.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:57 PM
Meh

Of the other "jenga tower" examples posted above, I will say the mechanical penthouse probably matches the tower better than that Russian one where the penthouses on those sort of distract from the boxes.

The Miami tower probably executed it best by not having the mechanical penthouse being exposed. The design really matches the concept of just simple stacked boxes since the penthouse isn't there to distract.

It's all about the way these towers flow. Despite being a simple form of architecture - mere stacked boxes, the way they're executed top to bottom can really take away from their design concept.

I like the building, but I agree that the crown is a sticking point. I actually don't mind it all that much, but yeah, it could use some paint. White, I guess. Actually, I wish they had used glass up there that matched the color of the rest of the tower, but it was already pointed out that the wind loads wouldn't have allowed it. There are other towers with large glass crowns, but all of them are tapered someway. Having a sheer wall of glass that is opened at the top requires a lot of bracing.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:26 PM

https://twitter.com/AlexaBourdage/st...77235362549762

This is an incredible building and view! Love this picture!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 10:55 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

It's like looking at a girl in shear clothing. I can see everything!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:23 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

There must be a reason why the crown was designed where the mechanical penthouse can be seen, maybe even from an artistic point of view? There are times that it seems to work well with the overall building, but there are other times that just feels incomplete. I personally like the pole notches poking up, however I feel like the screen itself should have gone up a little higher to completely cover the top of the penthouse. Just add another layer then add the poles.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:29 AM
World Traveler

You know, it could look cool if each one of those poles has a light at the top. I don't feel like I have strong feelings on either side of it, but I say add a spire - a crooked one, so it matches the building.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:02 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm very interested in how they plan to light the crown. Will they focus lighting on the poles or will they screw it up and miss a huge opportunity?

The one thing I think that was screwed up with the 360 Tower is that the spire itself was never lit up, just the base part. Never understood the reasoning behind that decision.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin