HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 9:31 PM

The city CAO gave an update at tonight's council meeting regarding the Fundy Quay and public spaces:

Fundy Quay:

Quote:
"The developer is pushing forward with construction of the first building and is working with the city on the timing to access the Harbour Passage extension around the site".
Ihtoli-maqahamok – The Gathering Space:
Quote:
"The opening of the patios is still on track for the first week of June. Interior work is happening now for code upgrades as a result of the new patio space. The plaza should be substantially complete by the end of June. Concrete slabs for the rock pool foundation has been installed, concrete unit pavers installation continues. The tidal steps are complete. Work continues on the entrance to Market Square building near the Ale House, and work continues on the promenade that completes the Harbour Passage trail to the Hilton".

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:02 PM

1778 Trading Post, a First Nations owned + Indigenous made goods store, is opening soon at 98 Prince William Street.

Link to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61559924494066

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 1:25 PM

Does anyone know what is happening with the former Hopscotch space, now that the new place has opened? I had heard that they had acquired the Happinez name and were putting in a wine bar, but haven't been able to confirm. Also, any news on what might go into the old Happinez space?

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
Does anyone know what is happening with the former Hopscotch space, now that the new place has opened? I had heard that they had acquired the Happinez name and were putting in a wine bar, but haven't been able to confirm. Also, any news on what might go into the old Happinez space?
Correct, Happinez is indeed moving into the old Hopscotch address. No idea about the old basement place.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
Heard owner of Britt’s is taking the space. Not sure what the concept will be.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 6:03 PM

From the mayor on social media today:

Quote:
"EXCITING NEWS!! Final preparations are underway to open the new patio spaces on the boardwalk. Businesses will be opening their patios as soon as tomorrow.

More information regarding a grand opening ceremony coming very soon!"

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 6:52 PM

Nice to see more South End work. 170 Carmarthen getting a serious facelift. Vacant for a decade. https://imgur.com/a/VbbMLzu

Small scale stuff like this and the 156 Princess window/repointing job above (which have really neat courtyard units when done) really make neighbourhoods. Insane to think the city axed the beautification grant and reallocated it to the Old North End.

Previous look: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.2706...5410&entry=ttu

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 5:23 PM

City Market

Wild Carrot Café is relocating/expanding. They are moving into the two stalls directly next to their current spot.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:20 PM

I see there is someone over on Retail Talk & Share group commented that for the past few days they've been hearing that Brunswick Square has now been sold. They are not sure who bought it or if what they heard is accurate or not. Anyone with insights?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
From the mayor on social media today:

Looks great!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 10:57 PM

Here are some more pictures of the new boardwalk patios that were posted online:

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:04 AM

My initial impression is that the black steel and the grey flooring seem a little cold/stark..... and the furnishings look kind of kind of sparse in the space .... hard to tell from photos. I'll be interested to see them in person.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
My initial impression is that the black steel and the grey flooring seem a little cold/stark..... and the furnishings look kind of kind of sparse in the space .... hard to tell from photos. I'll be interested to see them in person.
Picture it at night during a snow storm. Will be awesome. TV’s an unexpected surprise too. In regards to black, it’s the typical colour you find throughout Victorian neighborhoods in UK for painted metal (same with Trinity Royal) for gates, beams, tracery etc

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 10:53 AM

Oh, no doubt it's a huge improvement and a big step forward. As to seeming to be being sparsely furnished in the bottom two photos, that may well be an optical illusion from the photo's angle or the lens used.

Some on here have accused me of being negative. I prefer to think of it as tending to look at things with a critical eye and asking myself "Could this have been done better?"

As to the colour of the metal I agree although the I beam look seems more 20th century industrial rather than a 19th century ornamental "Crystal Palace" look.

As I said, I'll withhold judgement until I've had a chance to have a meal there and experience for myself.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 11:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
As to the colour of the metal I agree although the I beam look seems more 20th century industrial rather than a 19th century ornamental "Crystal Palace" look.
Either one of these two descriptors would work well in a Saint John context.

Looks very nice to me. I may have to go down to SJ in the next few weeks and check things out.

Are these enclosed patios air conditioned? Perpetual fog aside, they could get hot in the summertime.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Looks very nice to me. I may have to go down to SJ in the next few weeks and check things out.

Are these enclosed patios air conditioned? Perpetual fog aside, they could get hot in the summertime.
I have to think they have substantial AC capacity. Otherwise the temps inside would be intolerable on a steamy/showery summer day.

I wonder if there is any provision for shade? Even with the roof retracted sitting in direct sun on a hot summer's day (yes, we do get them occasionally in uptown SJ ) could get pretty uncomfortable.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Cooling and heating

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:54 PM
amalgamated

Quote:
Oh, no doubt it's a huge improvement and a big step forward. As to seeming to be being sparsely furnished in the bottom two photos, that may well be an optical illusion from the photo's angle or the lens used.

Some on here have accused me of being negative. I prefer to think of it as tending to look at things with a critical eye and asking myself "Could this have been done better?"

As I said, I'll withhold judgement until I've had a chance to have a meal there and experience for myself.
I don’t think you’re negative, I think you’re selectively realistic lol

And prone to contracting yourself, but aren’t we all.

When it comes to how things have been done in Saint John, think we can all agree on many ways how things could have been better.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
I don’t think you’re negative, I think you’re selectively realistic lol

And prone to contracting yourself, but aren’t we all.

When it comes to how things have been done in Saint John, think we can all agree on many ways how things could have been better.
Well, as to contradicting myself. Opinions and issues often aren't black or white and can change depending on your mood.

Most development is neither 100% good nor 100% bad......and virtually none can be said to be a perfect design that has been perfectly executed.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:07 PM

Quote:

They have cooling, and given the ratio of Summer months to Winter months in Canada, having some covered area seems like a good financial decision. I should add too that all the patios have a fully uncovered area beyond the glass sections too, so in the Summer the patio seating essentially doubles!

Also, as for the fog, a) it's awesome, I don't know how it got a bad reputation, and, b) I think it's been foggy maybe 1 or 2 days in the last two months.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces