HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I think the new tower proposal at Victoria and Wyandotte is pretty new, this article was the first I’ve heard of it. The site has just been fenced in recently with construction fencing.

There was a proposal for Victoria and Park St. about a year ago, but it seems to be going nowhere.
Thank you! I'm glad I found some people who follow Windsor developments as close as I do

Well I'm glad the Hive has some activity. They were one of the first big projects announced and got caught up with demo permits early on.

Yeah you are correct about the Victoria and Wyandotte being new. I got that one mixed up with the Victoria and Park one I'm glad to hear they have fencing up already too. Hopefully it's able to proceed!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
There was a big crane yesterday at the Hive unloading steel beams, so there is some work being done there.
I stand corrected. Happy to hear that work is still being done on the Hive!

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I stand corrected. Happy to hear that work is still being done on the Hive!
I was very happy to see it! Hopefully we’ll see more progress at the site soon.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 11:37 AM

Reading about the 5-tower CBC plan reminded me of the Graffiti project on University. I drove by a few weeks ago and I saw the sign up, but I haven't seen any machinery there since earlier this year.

I thought it was moving along well. From what I had last read they were doing some site clean-up, so I hope it isn't another stagnant project

If all the projects end up being built (5-tower CBC, Grace site, Graffiti, Caron Ave parking lot redevelopment), that stretch of University Ave will look a lot different!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurPlanner View Post
Reading about the 5-tower CBC plan reminded me of the Graffiti project on University. I drove by a few weeks ago and I saw the sign up, but I haven't seen any machinery there since earlier this year.

I thought it was moving along well. From what I had last read they were doing some site clean-up, so I hope it isn't another stagnant project

If all the projects end up being built (5-tower CBC, Grace site, Graffiti, Caron Ave parking lot redevelopment), that stretch of University Ave will look a lot different!
For Graffiti, they were working on soil remediation earlier this year. Construction was supposed to start Q2 of this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got delayed due to COVID, as most construction projects here were shut down for some time.

I'm trying to find more about the CBC site but there is next to no information about the owner, Clayland Development Inc. I hope we get a rendering or something soon.

There was a bidding process open for the Caron Ave parking lot, which closed on June 15. I suspect we will hear something about it sooner rather than later, hopefully.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
For Graffiti, they were working on soil remediation earlier this year. Construction was supposed to start Q2 of this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got delayed due to COVID, as most construction projects here were shut down for some time.

I'm trying to find more about the CBC site but there is next to no information about the owner, Clayland Development Inc. I hope we get a rendering or something soon.

There was a bidding process open for the Caron Ave parking lot, which closed on June 15. I suspect we will hear something about it sooner rather than later, hopefully.
Ahhh yeah, that makes sense with the COVID delays. Hopefully it gets back underway soon.

Yeah I would like to see what they are proposing for the site as well. I hope it's not just announcement that doesn't amount to anything, although I am optimistic given all of the other recent developments I would assume CBC Windsor would need to find a new location as well

Yeah I had read the city was looking over 3 or 4 proposals for Caron Ave, I'm excited to see which one they decide to move forward with. It will be great to see some density along this corridor, especially with the new Transit Master Plan calling for University Ave to be one of the primary routes (<10 min frequency between buses)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:

That stretch is going to look different regardless (University Ave itself is going to be completely redesigned within the next two years). The road is far too wide for the amount of traffic that it has but that's because it used to carry the old streetcar lines. Anyhow, redoing that road will be a huge improvement as it's currently an eyesore...so that could be a catalyst in itself.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
That stretch is going to look different regardless (University Ave itself is going to be completely redesigned within the next two years). The road is far too wide for the amount of traffic that it has but that's because it used to carry the old streetcar lines. Anyhow, redoing that road will be a huge improvement as it's currently an eyesore...so that could be a catalyst in itself.
Agreed! I was thinking the same thing about the current layout. I had created a couple of street layout mock-ups for a proposal of what I would like to see when they re-do the street, but we'll see if any of the ideas get used

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 7:44 PM

Quote:

Just found this article on the LFP site about the CBC development. Clayton Development Inc. is actually Auburn Developments out of London, the same developers who did the Barrel Yards in Waterloo, so this is great news!

https://lfpress.com/business/local-b...-23103fbc228b/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Just found this article on the LFP site about the CBC development. Clayton Development Inc. is actually Auburn Developments out of London, the same developers who did the Barrel Yards in Waterloo, so this is great news!

https://lfpress.com/business/local-b...-23103fbc228b/
Oh wow, those buildings in Waterloo look great! It looks like a similar layout as well (a grouping of high rises). Really excited to see some renderings for the CBC site soon!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 11:58 PM

The Victoria & Park project must be dead at this point, just like the one that had a sign up at Goyeau & Tuscarora.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Ahhh yeah, that makes sense with the COVID delays. Hopefully it gets back underway soon.

Yeah I would like to see what they are proposing for the site as well. I hope it's not just announcement that doesn't amount to anything, although I am optimistic given all of the other recent developments I would assume CBC Windsor would need to find a new location as well

Yeah I had read the city was looking over 3 or 4 proposals for Caron Ave, I'm excited to see which one they decide to move forward with. It will be great to see some density along this corridor, especially with the new Transit Master Plan calling for University Ave to be one of the primary routes (<10 min frequency between buses)
I would hope that maybe CBC would move more into the core of the city.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
I would hope that maybe CBC would move more into the core of the city.
I'd like to see them take up some space in One Riverside. Maybe even put their name on the building so they can finally remove the dated Chrysler sign.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 11:51 PM

I'm still working on my comprehensive downtown model, but I whipped up a couple of .kmz massing files for Google Earth to visualize our new developments. Inspiration will be approximately 52m tall and blend in with the string of apartment buildings that neighbour it. As we have no renderings yet for CBC, I added 5 16s generic towers on the property, and I will update it accordingly when the renderings are available.

I also added an easter egg for fun, like I do with some of my other projects - Windsor's greatest missed opportunity, the original 141m/32s design for One Riverside.

I apologize for the watermarking, I had to start doing it because real estate agents were stealing my images.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 1:52 PM

It’s still such a disappointment that One Riverside’s original height was reduced so much, it could have really anchored the skyline perfectly. Instead we have a table top skyline view from the river.

As for the CBC proposal, I really like how it will expand DT’s skyline further west, and hopefully soon we’ll see more intensification throughout the DT area to bulk up the middle more.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see them take up some space in One Riverside. Maybe even put their name on the building so they can finally remove the dated Chrysler sign.
That would be amazing. From what I can see by the sign, it seems that there is definitely some vacancy in One Riverside, hopefully enough to accommodate CBC. Would be nice to see the logo up on the building too

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 5:10 PM

Quote:
It’s still such a disappointment that One Riverside’s original height was reduced so much, it could have really anchored the skyline perfectly. Instead we have a table top skyline view from the river.

As for the CBC proposal, I really like how it will expand DT’s skyline further west, and hopefully soon we’ll see more intensification throughout the DT area to bulk up the middle more.
@ericmacm I love the renderings! I'd love to see more added as new proposals come up!

@north 42 I completely agree. It would have been a great centerpiece building and in a great location too. What was the reason for the shrink in height? I had read it was because of a deal worked out with the original owners of the Norwich Block, but I was wondering if it was cost as well?

As for expanding the skyline west, I believe Farhi owns a lot of the vacant plots along Riverside Drive. I wonder if when these other developments get shovels in the ground he'll move to develop them as well? Or maybe just wishful thinking on my part

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 5:38 PM

Quote:
@ericmacm I love the renderings! I'd love to see more added as new proposals come up!

@north 42 I completely agree. It would have been a great centerpiece building and in a great location too. What was the reason for the shrink in height? I had read it was because of a deal worked out with the original owners of the Norwich Block, but I was wondering if it was cost as well?

As for expanding the skyline west, I believe Farhi owns a lot of the vacant plots along Riverside Drive. I wonder if when these other developments get shovels in the ground he'll move to develop them as well? Or maybe just wishful thinking on my part
Thanks! I was looking forward to doing one for Windsor for a long time, but there's been no activity until now.

Farhi most likely won't develop those lots. He's notorious in London for sitting on land, proposing developments, and then not doing anything. Now that there are more developments planned for Windsor, the value of those lots will rise as well, so there is more incentive for him to sit on them.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 9:47 PM

Farhi is building 500+ homes along with a few condo buildings off Lauzon Rd so at least there's that....that's more than he's built in London.

Also, don't forget about the development at University and Crawford (will fill in that big empty green square on the second image there).

Last edited by Blitz; Sep 22, 2020 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Farhi is building 500+ homes off along with a few condo buildings off Lauzon Rd so at least there's that....that's more than he's built in London.

Also, don't forget about the development at University and Crawford (will fill in that big empty green square on the second image there).
How is the progress going on those by the way? I haven't been out to the east side in a while. I think he also has plans to add a hotel there as well? Although not sure if that's planned for another phase or not.

Yeah the old Grace Hospital site (University and Crawford) will be a great infill project. I know that just got announced recently as well, but I haven't heard anything since the announcement, so I'm assuming it's still in the planning stages?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario