HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That is exactly what I saw, so it was removing ice and snow.
Probably in conjunction with the repairing the damage with the lastest derailment.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 7:36 PM
The City That Moves

City weighs lane reversal options

Quote:
Roughly one year after automated lane reversals were unveiled on Memorial Drive and the 5th Avenue connector, the city is looking at similar options for other congested traffic arteries.

The two reversals service up to half a million motorists every year each and similar measures exist on Centre Street and 10th Street.

Troy McLeod, city roads manager, says analysis has been done on adding lane reversals elsewhere — namely where Centre Street and McKnight Boulevard cross paths, on the Langevin Bridge and possibly even on the 4th Street underpass slated to open in late 2012.

“They’re very effective for making use of existing infrastructure and ideally located where the peak flow (of traffic) is unbalanced,” McLeod said.

But not everyone is sold on the idea.

Calgary motorist Aaron Chatha, who frequently travels against traffic flow on Memorial Drive when only lane is available, said more traffic frequency monitoring needs to be done.

“If there’s an accident or something I could be stuck there for 30-40 minutes,” he said. “I think, with Memorial, it was a great idea at first but it doesn’t work any more.”
Metro News Article - Jeremy Nolais - City Weighs Lane Reversal Options

I definitely think Langevin Bridge could use a lane reversal during off peak hours. You can see in Google Maps, how light traffic can be and that you could add more mobility options via lane reversals:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...2,206.4,,0,0.4

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
Here and There

Did I hear a rumour that The city of Calgary wants to make 9th ave SW a 2-way road? That would be amazing. It would also be good if the made 4th st sw a two way all the way as well. I always never liked how 4th st goes 1-way under the rail line.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Did I hear a rumour that The city of Calgary wants to make 9th ave SW a 2-way road? That would be amazing. It would also be good if the made 4th st sw a two way all the way as well. I always never liked how 4th st goes 1-way under the rail line.
Never heard anything about 9th ave, but its widely known that the city has looked into (and still wants to) eventually turn 11th and 12th avenues both back to two way traffic. A lot of the changes needed to make that happen will occur once the WLRT is opened (including the one necessary part of ading the intersection at 10th and 14th street)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Never heard anything about 9th ave, but its widely known that the city has looked into (and still wants to) eventually turn 11th and 12th avenues both back to two way traffic. A lot of the changes needed to make that happen will occur once the WLRT is opened (including the one necessary part of ading the intersection at 10th and 14th street)
They have already converted 2 sections of 9th ave SE back to 2-way. I hope the trend continues. I have had SO many times that I really wished I could head east on 9th ave SW. There is REALLY something wrong with the vehicular circulation downtown. It seems like you have to drive 6 blocks to get back to where you were because of all the one ways and stephen ave and the C train line. Having 9th ave as a 2 way would also lessen the feeling of a big freeway headed into downtown. Look how many vancouver streets are 2-way........it seems to work just fine. The bow trail / 9th ave corridor needs a serious re-visit. So much opportunity down there with the west village and riverfront.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 11:42 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I wonder how useful swapping 11th and 12th for 10th and 11th would be.
Or since 9th is one way east, making 10th one way west, straight to crowchild?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I wonder how useful swapping 11th and 12th for 10th and 11th would be.
Or since 9th is one way east, making 10th one way west, straight to crowchild?
Remember to account for a streetcar on some combination of 10th, 11th, and 12th as well.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 2:16 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Remember to account for a streetcar on some combination of 10th, 11th, and 12th as well.
Agree. It would be sweet.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:15 PM

Just wanted to say...after driving through Saskatchewan and Manitoba the last week, the roads here in Calgary are pretty damn nice in comparison. Everyone is getting hit hard by potholes and frost heaves it seems this year, and the Trans Canada in and around Regina was absolutely the worst I've seen.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Just wanted to say...after driving through Saskatchewan and Manitoba the last week, the roads here in Calgary are pretty damn nice in comparison. Everyone is getting hit hard by potholes and frost heaves it seems this year, and the Trans Canada in and around Regina was absolutely the worst I've seen.
Hopefully without starting a flamewar...

What you say is true pretty much every year. I do the drive at least once a year and the highways are noticeably worse (although to be fair, SK highways are in damned good shape the past couple of years) and the city streets are like night and day. So when I hear people in Calgary complaining about the roads, I chuckle a bit. Hell, I've been here long enough that I catch MYSELF complaining - and then I go for a road trip, and remember what bad roads are really like. The clay soils in Manitoba are absolute hell on just about any roadbed.

I may be driving east very soon, so I just wanted to say thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I'll be taking a vehicle with high clearance and excellent suspension, but at 125 or so no vehicle is immune to bad roads.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I may be driving east very soon, so I just wanted to say thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I'll be taking a vehicle with high clearance and excellent suspension, but at 125 or so no vehicle is immune to bad roads.
Pay close attention to those little signs with the red triangle. Slow to 60km/h, seriously. Many of those marked frost heaves have scrape marks from vehicles traveling too fast over them. At least in Manitoba they clearly warn you to slow down for them. Even if you have the clearance, you probably don't want to hit the "bumps" too hard.

There has been a ton of paving done in Manitoba lately (I assume last summer), so I would say overall Saskatchewan was the worst.

The newer 4 lane stretches of the Trans Canada around the Sask/Man border are lovely though. Wish I had gotten some picture of those gigantic wind generators out at Moosomin.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 1:09 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Over many years, I have driven Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon and Winnipeg, plus highways around there. I agree that Alberta, and Calgary specifically has the best overall quality roads. My Dad always complains how bad Calgary roads are. He phones 311 and the city comes and fix the hole within a week usually. Still not good enough for him - the city should be proactively looking for the holes and fixing them according to him. I always tell him that I don't feel like paying that much taxes - usually shuts him up on the subject

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 2:28 AM
Ack Thptf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
My Dad always complains how bad Calgary roads are. He phones 311 and the city comes and fix the hole within a week usually. Still not good enough for him - the city should be proactively looking for the holes and fixing them according to him. I always tell him that I don't feel like paying that much taxes - usually shuts him up on the subject
Complaining about stuff that will never get fixed, one of the benefits of growing old I suppose. When I grow up, I too want to be an old codger. In the meantime, get off my lawn you damn kids.

Old fart in training,
Jack

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 6:41 PM

As expected, the Northbound Calf Robe bridge is being repaired this year, similar to how they did the Southbound bridge last year. Traffic nightmares ahoy!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 8:05 PM

This is probably off topic - but I'm trying to do some research on MacLeod Trail. A friend mentioned to me that some years ago MacLeod Trail was voted the 'Ugliest road' in Calgary in some article?

Does anyone remember what article that was and where I could find it?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:32 PM

I think 17th Avenue SE is probably uglier than Macleod, personally. Thankfully they have a plan in place to pretty it up.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 4:36 PM

Two additional open houses on Excessive Vehicle Noise

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....pen+Houses.htm

Quote:
On March 16, 2011, Animal & Bylaw Services presented a deferral report to SPC on Land Use, Planning and Transportation. Animal & Bylaw Services requested additional time to conduct more public engagement.

There will be two additional open houses on Excessive Vehicle Noise:

Date: Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Time: 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Address: 50 Scurfield Way NW, Calgary

Date: Thursday, April 7, 2011
Time: 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Address: 120-45 Street SW, Calgary

At the April open houses, there will be opportunities for Calgarians to:
1. Complete an in-depth survey on the impact of excessive vehicle noise on their quality of life. This survey will not be available online.
2. Listen to sound calibrated to various decibel levels.
3. Watch a video about new technology available to monitor excessive vehicle noise.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 4:49 PM

lol...

Quote:
Did you know?

The closer you are to the sound source, the louder the sound.
Valuable info!!!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookermorgan View Post
Orange Rectangle Sign Airport Symbol on the left Airport Detour on the right

Replaces "Air Terminal" Sign here

SSP y u no let me have image here

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 8:54 PM
Home of Hyperchange

It's not a detour if it's permanent (not sure if this has been pointed out here or not yet).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure