HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Because I can?
Just curious is all. Are you going to school out there or something?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:09 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

LOL, no I am closer to retirement age and that's where we are going to retire. We spend as much time as we can there learning the city and its neighbourhoods so we can make good decisions on housing, proximity to services, employment, etc.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:13 PM
Closed account

Okay, cool. How come you don't want to retire/stay in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:36 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Okay, cool. How come you don't want to retire/stay in Winnipeg?
Better climate
Excellent public transit
Lake Ontario
Great cycling plus longer season
About 500 Corydon Avenues or so it seems
No mosquitos
Provincial taxes are half

That's just a start.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Agreed, but I think the University is the SECOND best location for a stadium of this nature. The City wins through redevelopment of the Polo Park Location and much-needed road improvements there, and the University wins by having a world-class facility for the University teams, AND gets a new fitness centre in the deal.

The team... well, the team should win; they're getting a new building despite the massive debt they've been saddled with. At least they're selling season tickets well this summer.

The loser is the region's game-day traffic. University parking should be able to handle the load; I just worry about the exits from the University property immediately following the game. Left-turn traffic is BAAAD on a summer week day at Pembina and Chancellor; can't wait to see what happens when 100's of left turners line up. Markham road should be improved to help handle the load.
I would imagine there will be a game day plan with the police to handle the intersections.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:10 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Better climate
Excellent public transit
Lake Ontario
No mosquitos

That's just a start.
It's nice in some ways but it's not a community in the same way that Winnipeg is.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 5:05 AM
BANNED

Yes, a community willing to spend $200 million for a football stadium. We will regret it for years when are taxes skyrocket.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 5:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Better climate
Excellent public transit
Lake Ontario
No mosquitos

That's just a start.
Sounds kind of like Alberta except worse.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 12:30 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Yes, a community willing to spend $200 million for a football stadium. We will regret it for years when are taxes skyrocket.
Yes, because Winnipeg spent that much on a football stadium.

Oh, and what a hypocrite you are. People just threw away pretty much all of their disposable income on hockey tickets. Are you worried about that?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 1:37 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Oh, and what a hypocrite you are. People just threw away pretty much all of their disposable income on hockey tickets. Are you worried about that?
You seem to have a difficult time distinguishing between choices people make (hockey tickets) and unneeded public projects forced on them (stadium). These are two very different things. I can do what I want with my own money as can anyone.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 1:39 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Sounds kind of like Alberta except worse.
Alberta doesn't hold a candle. Not enough water for me.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Better climate
Excellent public transit
Lake Ontario
No mosquitos

That's just a start.
That is all well. And I respect that opinion as everyone is entitled to their own.
But I will present mine now.

Excellent public transit.
I ride through Toronto all the time on the Go Train/Bus. This cannot be denied. The Go Bus/Go Train have excellent service, however you have to pay an arm and a leg in comparison to other transit. Also Winnipeg is currently working on their Rapid Transit corridor, be it bus or train, our transit system will be much better when fully completed.

Lake Ontario.
I would prefer Grand Beach to any beach on lake ontario. Although the skyline from the lake is very impressive.

Great Cycling.
This is where I start to question things. Simply because Winnipeg has great trails for cycling, spreading throughout the whole city. Not to mention the trails throughout birds hill park, which are gorgeous. Also the city continues to invest on new and refurbished bike trails.

About 500 Corydons.
This is another one. I personally find that having 1 Corydon makes it what it is. Having 500 completely eliminates the familiarity and connection with what could be a unique and comfortable thing. Winnipeg having 1 Corydon makes it something everyone can connect to and relate with, also creating a tourist destination. Having 500 takes something special and makes it common, thus eliminating its unique draw.

No Mosquitoes.
I have been in Winnipeg for three weeks now. And summers past. This year I haven't been bitten once (excluding trip to cottage which saw a couple of bites). Within the city the mosquitoes are not as bad as everyone says. As long as the city sprays it is no worse than anywhere in Ontario (where I currently live).

Provincial Taxes are Half
Nothing can be said about that. But like I said everyone has their own opinions and I hope you love Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 3:55 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Lake Ontario.
I would prefer Grand Beach to any beach on lake ontario. Although the skyline from the lake is very impressive.
Grand Beach is not a 10 minute bicycle ride from my house, and it is not that great anymore with all the algae issues.

Quote:
This is another one. I personally find that having 1 Corydon makes it what it is. Having 500 completely eliminates the familiarity and connection with what could be a unique and comfortable thing. Winnipeg having 1 Corydon makes it something everyone can connect to and relate with, also creating a tourist destination. Having 500 takes something special and makes it common, thus eliminating its unique draw.
I'm talking about the vibrancy of the sidewalk life that is everywhere there. Of course I like Corydon, even though it seems it is going downhill lately.

Quote:
Provincial Taxes are Half
Nothing can be said about that.

Last edited by Riverman; Jun 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Great Cycling.
This is where I start to question things. Simply because Winnipeg has great trails for cycling, spreading throughout the whole city. Not to mention the trails throughout birds hill park, which are gorgeous. Also the city continues to invest on new and refurbished bike trails.
Perception of greatness is subjective. 10 min boot for an ice cream with kids is fine but commuting or cycling for excercise is pretty miserable.

I would really like to move out of here before I start bleeding too much money for that stadium.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 7:41 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
Perception of greatness is subjective. 10 min boot for an ice cream with kids is fine but commuting or cycling for excercise is pretty miserable.

I would really like to move out of here before I start bleeding too much money for that stadium.
Wildly off-topic... but if I may add something...

The only way Winnipeg will have "great" cycling pathways is if they turn riverfront properties into riverVIEW properties and build paths along the red, the seine and the assiniboine rivers.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 8:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Bombers sell 20,000 season tickets
By: Adam Wazny
Posted: 06/14/2011 1:42 PM

WINNIPEG — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have reached a milestone in season ticket sales.
The local Canadian Football League operation sold its 20,000th season ticket, the club announced this afternoon. That number represents a new-high in season ticket sales, an incredible achievement when you consider the team has missed the playoffs two years in a row and is coming off a forgetful 4-14 campaign in 2010.
Business is so brisk at the Bombers office, in fact, that the club has decided to put a cap on the number of season tickets they’ll sell for the 2011 season. Only 2,500 more season passes will be made available before the June 23rd deadline, as the club wants to ensure a healthy number of single game tickets remain.
"This is a great sign of support and a strong message from our fans regarding the direction of our club, specifically their support for (general manager) Joe Mack and (head coach) Paul LaPolice and the optimism surrounding the 2011 season," Bombers president Jim Bell said in a statement.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...123840194.html

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 12:07 AM
BANNED

Congrats to the Bombers and the fans. If you build it they will come.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 3:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Yes, because Winnipeg spent that much on a football stadium.

I would love to debate with you on this matter. I wish I could. However, I have a policy not to engage with people who are not capable of having a civil discussion. I'm so sorry.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 3:58 PM
Closed account

Honestly, I'm glad this stadium got built. This, along with many other things over the past decade, have really come to revitalize this city in a way that has been needed for years and years. I'm tired of listening to those that bitch and complain about every single little thing this city does to improve itself. The arena and stadium are among the best investements this city has made. I've never been prouder of Winnipeg than I have right now, and by the way people are buying up tickets for our pro sports teams in record numbers, I don't think I'm the only one either.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 4:34 PM

Quote:
I would love to debate with you on this matter. I wish I could. However, I have a policy not to engage with people who are not capable of having a civil discussion. I'm so sorry.
What's with the attitude lately.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan