HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 1:45 PM
Me?!?

Congrats, Chris, and it's great to hear from you again!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 9:43 PM
joining the rail club

Thanks Evergrey and Dave

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 4:21 PM

crane pic

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 4:22 PM

another crane

Last edited by crs921; Oct 20, 2007 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 4:25 PM

Last edited by crs921; Oct 20, 2007 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 7:49 PM

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 8:19 PM

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 5:16 AM

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 2:51 PM

crane at night

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 9:38 PM

Harrisburg looks like it has density.This is the first pic I have ever seen of the place.I wondered what the city looked like.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:29 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Harrisburg looks like it has density.This is the first pic I have ever seen of the place.I wondered what the city looked like.
Sadly it had much more density 50 years ago than now. Population has fallen about 40% over the years. Although I believe it has flat lined in the past several years. Until more high rise apartments move in the population won't see a major increase since the average home size is falling and the city is landlocked unable to add new neighborhoods.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 9:25 PM

hey young gun

you are right - more residential/condo towers are needed downtown. i wonder whatever happened to the 25-story condo tower that was supposed to go where the harrisburg u tower is going....

i hear the 19-story building with skybar on 2nd street is a GO - and plans should be announced shortly

how about some more of your good pics with updates on the projects???

-chris in ft. lauderdale

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 10:15 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs921 View Post
you are right - more residential/condo towers are needed downtown. i wonder whatever happened to the 25-story condo tower that was supposed to go where the harrisburg u tower is going....
Petty squabbling w/ the city. The developer got sick of it and backed out. You know, like what usually happens in Harrisburg...

*I sometimes wonder if the city didn't do this deliberately, though, as HBG U was planned for quite some time...I'm sure they wanted that piece of real estate.

Quote:
i hear the 19-story building with skybar on 2nd street is a GO - and plans should be announced shortly
I haven't heard much about this, but looking forward to any renderings if this is true.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Petty squabbling w/ the city. The developer got sick of it and backed out. You know, like what usually happens in Harrisburg...

*I sometimes wonder if the city didn't do this deliberately, though, as HBG U was planned for quite some time...I'm sure they wanted that piece of real estate.
How do you know that? The developer is the same company that is now building the HU tower I thought

The city wanted HU there, not a residential tower. There was no petty squabbling.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 1:51 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:

I haven't heard much about this, but looking forward to any renderings if this is true.
The city council has seemed to calm down about projects since the Aloft hotel squabbles. I wasn't around in the time of the residential tower, but I don't think Harrisburg is quite ready for one. Some more infill will need to take place. We will have towers!! Even if I have to build them myself!! haha

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 1:58 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs921 View Post

how about some more of your good pics with updates on the projects???

-chris in ft. lauderdale
Sorry about that, I haven't been able to get around town much the past weekends. I don't get home from work till around dark, and I don't have a tripod.

Don't you live in town??

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 1:57 PM

nope

i live in fort lauderdale, fl.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 10:08 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
The city wanted HU there, not a residential tower. There was no petty squabbling.
It's funny how you say that w/ such authority...how many meetings did you attend in the city again? How long did you live in the city at the point these projects were being planned?

Anyway, there was a problem w/ the amount of residential units and the height of the building. The developer required a certain amount of units for them to do the project and make it feasible, but the city wanted to scale back the height, which in turn didn't give the developer enough units. Squabbling ensued, the developer eventually said forget it, and here we are now w/ HU there. Exactly like all of the big residential projects to date (think Front St.) the city hurts when they should be helping...

And if you remember correctly, even the HU went from being 22 stories down to 20 down to 18 to now whatever it is going to be (I think 16 at last count). Yes, that was a combination of the city and the project's funding, but you get the point; Harrisburg NIMBYs and most of City Council seem to fear height and any big project that will make it more than what it is currently...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 11:53 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
It's funny how you say that w/ such authority...how many meetings did you attend in the city again? How long did you live in the city at the point these projects were being planned?

Anyway, there was a problem w/ the amount of residential units and the height of the building. The developer required a certain amount of units for them to do the project and make it feasible, but the city wanted to scale back the height, which in turn didn't give the developer enough units. Squabbling ensued, the developer eventually said forget it, and here we are now w/ HU there. Exactly like all of the big residential projects to date (think Front St.) the city hurts when they should be helping...

And if you remember correctly, even the HU went from being 22 stories down to 20 down to 18 to now whatever it is going to be (I think 16 at last count). Yes, that was a combination of the city and the project's funding, but you get the point; Harrisburg NIMBYs and most of City Council seem to fear height and any big project that will make it more than what it is currently...

At least it is a building over 4 stories. I'm happy about that. I think that there are only about 6 Nimbys and all of them are on city council. Well and the historical board. As far as I know the Tracey Manor project is still ongoing. but That other project was nixed.

Last edited by Young Gun; Oct 25, 2007 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 1:49 PM

Hbg City Council Question

I have emailed all members of Harrisburg City Council asking what the height limit is, if any, and why. I explained the need for progress downtown - including residential/condo towers, and a much better skyline.

I also asked about why projects are scaled down in areas that could use some serious modernization. (Harrisburg U tower, the anticipated "Residence" condo project, etc)

I will share any responses I get here.

To date, Harrisburg has the following projects. Can anyone think of anything else (OVER 12-STORIES)?

16-STORY HARRISBURG UNIV. TOWER
13-STORY ALOFT HOTEL
19-STORY 2ND STREET ASSOCIATES
20-STORY NEW FEDERAL COURTHOUSE

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations