HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 2:50 AM
New Yorker for life

From wtc.com (Joel Woolhead)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 1:49 AM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Great shot from above...... you can clearly see every detail.....look at the surviver tree.... how it stands out from the rest of the trees

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
Great shot from above...... you can clearly see every detail.....look at the surviver tree.... how it stands out from the rest of the trees
You are going to tell it even easier in the future. The Swamp White Oak trees are taller then the Callery Pear Tree in height. 95 feet vs. 65 feet so it is going to be more visible in the future and it would stand out.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:08 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 5:02 PM

Beautiful shot!! I'm loving the new Snohetta pavilion, particularly its relationship to the memorial groundplane.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 1:16 AM
Khurram Parvaz

It doesn't match its background, but when 2 and 3 WTC are built we won't have to worry.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 7:55 AM

I'll admit I was skeptical about the entrance to the museum, but having visited the pavillion I've warmed to it and almost understand it. Scratch that, I fully understand it for myself as a guy who lived through the destruction. It's a reminder of the ruinous angles while also being safe and inviting. The architects, Snøhetta are to be commended, this could not have been an easy project.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 2:25 AM
Khurram Parvaz

The thing that sucks is a large chunk (memorial) of the new WTC is not going to be open to you for easy accessablity unless you pay to enter. Then we have 2, 3, and 4 WTC which which will be seperate from the site, and although accessable not the best attraction other than architectural purposes. Then that leaves the transit hub (which will be open to everyone, for transportation purposes) and 1WTC (which will be open to everyone for observation deck purposes). Really I don't think this is a CENTER. Although this might be a special case, I don't think people who want to do two things (go to the observation deck, and the memorial) would want to pay double, which will prevent people who want to come here alot, to coming seldom. Really literally out of 16 acres you get about 9 accessable acres.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 3:19 AM

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
The thing that sucks is a large chunk (memorial) of the new WTC is not going to be open to you for easy accessablity unless you pay to enter. Then we have 2, 3, and 4 WTC which which will be seperate from the site, and although accessable not the best attraction other than architectural purposes. Then that leaves the transit hub (which will be open to everyone, for transportation purposes) and 1WTC (which will be open to everyone for observation deck purposes). Really I don't think this is a CENTER. Although this might be a special case, I don't think people who want to do two things (go to the observation deck, and the memorial) would want to pay double, which will prevent people who want to come here alot, to coming seldom. Really literally out of 16 acres you get about 9 accessable acres.
You realize the memorial will be a fully open public park when the entire site is completed, right?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 5:17 AM

taken from 30th floor - one liberty plaza

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 1:55 AM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

looking great........

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 6:06 AM
BANNED

Does anyone know when they're planning to remove that railroad trestle? I feel like that steel arch has ben in place for months already. What do they still have to do before it can bear the weight of the subway?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 2:45 PM

I don't know how you could ever get any work done Pat, I would just be staring out the window all day, everyday. Anyway your updates are much appreciated!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Big new delays loom at site of Ground Zero museum over $156 million construction bill

Long-promised Sept. 2012 opening likely to be scrapped

BY DOUGLAS FEIDEN
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, November 21 2011, 5:31 PM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz1eRj0x4lV

Major new delays are looming at the heart-stopping underground museum at Ground Zero because of an ugly $156 million battle pitting the Port Authority against the National Sept. 11 Memorial & Museum.

Long-promised plans to open the museum on Sept. 11, 2012 in time for the 11th anniversary of the terror attacks are now expected to be scrapped — and its debut could be pushed back to 2013 or later, sources familiar with the feud say.

Mayor Bloomberg, however, was optimistic that the two sides would reach an agreement in time for the scheduled opening.

“I think we’ll work things out,” the mayor said Monday. “I hope so.”

PHOTOS: SEPT. 11 MEMORIAL OPENS FOR 10TH ANNIVERSARY

At stake is the future of the sacred subterranean site that will memorialize nearly 3,000 lives lost on 9/11 — and tell the tale of 102 minutes of hell and the heroic recovery efforts that followed with smashed fire engines, steel I-beams and other iconic artifacts.

The long-simmering spat between the PA and the Memorial over who pays for what — first revealed by the Daily News on Aug. 5 — is now triggering delays because the Authority has stopped approving new construction contracts for the museum.

Agency brass held off on nixing the contracts until after the Memorial bowed on the 10th anniversary of the attacks — and then later in September, it exercised what one official branded the “nuclear option.”

The PA, which is building the museum, is demanding a $156 million payment from the Memorial to cover its “fair share” of construction costs, including overruns at the $850 million project.

Nonsense, the Memorial says. It has been refusing to fork over a dime and claims it’s being unfairly dunned for money it doesn’t owe and doesn’t have.

Not only that, the Memorial has been quietly preparing a claim of up to $130 million against the PA, saying agency delays and mismanagement forced it to open in the middle of a construction site with unfinished streets and sidewalks, sources close to the project say.

“We are working with the leadership of the Port Authority to come to an immediate resolution that allows this historic project to move forward,” said Memorial spokesman Michael Frazier.

“Work is continuing, and we are working cooperatively with New York City and the 9/11 Memorial on this issue,” said Port Authority spokesman

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz1eRiukL7D

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ticle-1.980911

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:12 PM

Assholes.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:17 PM
World Machine

In one word - sad

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 12:10 AM
BANNED

I had not heard of this dispute before today, but based upon the limited information in that article, I'm siding with the Museum. Unless they entered into a financial agreement with the PA before construction began, they should not be held responsible for a single dime. Why would the PA burden a burgeoning museum with construction cost when it hasn't even been determined if they're even charging admission? Museums rarely have any money to begin with aside from endowments that have been created over decades and sometimes hundreds of years. Hell, the Smithsonian barely has enough money to run itself.

I wish I knew more about the issue, but this simply sounds like another example of a powerful institution taking financial advantage of those with less means...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 4:33 AM
Metal Up Your !

Do they not realize what this site represents to America? Why does there have to be so many politics around this? I understand this is still all about business, but to everyone else, it's a whole another thing all together :/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Do they not realize what this site represents to America? Why does there have to be so many politics around this? I understand this is still all about business, but to everyone else, it's a whole another thing all together :/
To tell you the truth the World Trade Center has always been a site to make money. It is a site of business. It is private land and multiple companies operate from the World Trade Center in the past and the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture