HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 10:33 PM
Sebastian

The largest I've built, with over 2 years on SC4U, is only about 175,000. My cities seem to stall whenever I get over 100,000, and even if I build industrial suburbs to try and get the city to grow commute times go up and buildings start to abandon.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 10:35 PM

hhhmmmmmmm.......

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 9:33 AM

"The largest I've built, with over 2 years on SC4U, is only about 175,000. My cities seem to stall whenever I get over 100,000, and even if I build industrial suburbs to try and get the city to grow commute times go up and buildings start to abandon."

Transit my man, transit. With a good transit system I was able to actually limit all the high density comercial zoning to one small city. where the region actually extended out to the limits of the map.
Lots of highways/avenues, bus stops in the low income parts of town, mostly connected to my industrial sectors
Once you get past 100k residents you have to start catering to the middle and upper class. schools, parks etc. it will increase the likeliness they show up and it will increase the demand for your manufacturing and higher level comercial buildings.
trains are handing but a pain. or so Ive found. Ive never quite got a good fix on how to zone it out. Ive found it isnt really needed as the region I was refering to earlier had a population of approx 4 million, and I only connected the most densly populated cities with rail. hope that helps you get over the hump

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 6:21 AM
Sebastian

Well I tax the lower class once I get a decent population, and I tax the upper class heavily. So for both the demands are either very low, or negative.
I'm trying very hard to create a main business/commerce center, but the demand for offices is never very high, and I am not able to increase the population enough in the actual city to make it go up. So instead I build suburbs for housing, but any office commercial that is built there takes away from the main center. It's kind of a catch-22.
However, my main city is at about 165,000, and it's doing fairly well. Mostly thanks to the Network-Add on Mod, which helps soooooooo much with traffic.
I also have a quite extensive rail network, but I rarely use it.

Thanks though.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 6:28 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-s View Post
I like to see real buildings in SimCity.

How do you get all these buildings? Download them as landmarks or what? Every time I try to download things it says that the SimCity website is "unavailable." Why?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 2:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperar View Post
Update: Using the plop-building cheat I created a simulated model predicting what the population will be when the real city is finished. Note that this is only a test model and not the real thing:

As you can see, the population just breaks the 5.9 mil barrier, I was actually a bit disappointed that it didn't reach 6 million, but then again, we can't have it all
That is the same method that I used to reach a 6.3 million city in SC3.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 5:26 AM

"Well I tax the lower class once I get a decent population, and I tax the upper class heavily. So for both the demands are either very low, or negative.
I'm trying very hard to create a main business/commerce center, but the demand for offices is never very high, and I am not able to increase the population enough in the actual city to make it go up. So instead I build suburbs for housing, but any office commercial that is built there takes away from the main center. It's kind of a catch-22.
However, my main city is at about 165,000, and it's doing fairly well. Mostly thanks to the Network-Add on Mod, which helps soooooooo much with traffic.
I also have a quite extensive rail network, but I rarely use it.

Thanks though."

Okay theres actually a simple fix that I've found to getting things built in whichever city in your region you so desire. if you have suburbs like I do, cause yeah I like my sprawl lol, you simply max out the taxes on a specific type of developement and it wont grow. for example what your describing, if you want all your high end comericial developement to all be built in one city, you tax every other city and then it won't grow there. Doing this is potentially risky though, because then you could get abandonment. I generally grid my cities so that the centre is all the high density comercial, adjoining cities are mainly residential and I sprinkle in industrial centres here and there. but each city is setup so that I only get the kind of developement I want because I've tax maxed the other kinds.

hope thats helpful. give it a shot at least and I bet you'll see your region grows.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 6:46 AM
Sebastian

Thanks a bunch. Yeah, the big problem is in the suburbs if high wealth offices and businesses don't grow people abandon their homes, so it's a really fine line. Hopefully I'm able to find a soft spot and create a growth spurt in the center city.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 7:15 AM

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 6:59 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah it is. Just check out Simcity.com

Anyways, like I said before, when I try to download things from the exchange part in the simcity website it says this "We are unable to process your request successfully at this time."

Or it will download half way the say "We are unable to process your request successfully at this time." or "We are unable to contact the server at this time."

WHY?!?!?!?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
That is the same method that I used to reach a 6.3 million city in SC3.
Is that with or without cheats? If it is without cheats, I would be interested to see.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 3:16 AM
Sebastian

Well I did it. I'm at 250k and counting.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 4:32 AM

very cool. I've been working away on the "London Map" and Im up to 7.6 mill, I find the best way to do that is to totally divide the industry up, dirty and low end comercial with a sprinkling of highrise low wealth res in some cities, manufacturing and mid wealth in others and I keep the high end res and com, for the downtown and small pockets here and there, high tech industry tends to build in the middle class cities aslong as you ply them with parks etc.
I know eventually you can get you past the million mark, while still keeping it realistic. remember to keep your sims happy with schools and hospitals etc. the crime and fire isnt that big a deal, it helps but yeah, not the biggest priority
ANYWAY hope these tips help, I found it hard to get my cities bigger until I figured that stuff out for myself.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 5:08 AM

I'm working on one right now with about 450,000 and i'm about half full.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 2:05 AM

Not my largest, but it's my most recently completed city, Unimatrix (non cheated as usual):

Video Link

Last edited by Imperar; Nov 23, 2007 at 12:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 2:56 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wait. What's the point of doing cities that way?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 3:34 AM

To try things differently. Oh, and to set world records.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 7:59 PM

Probably my first pic of one of my sc4 cities, here is Alpha, my largest city using largest map, pop: 550'000:

I couldn't care any less for realism sakes.

No cheats, no mods, just the way I always like to do it.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 8:43 PM
Closed account

The largest I've built was one I did a couple of years ago called RockingHam. It covered what would be about 4 sq. miles and had about 50,000 people.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 11:12 PM

current largest is around 350 000, althoguh my compy really starts to lag after 150 000, so play sim city becomes a royal bitch after awhile.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art