HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 8, 2004, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5
Actually, I'm a big fan of the design. It doesn't look like it will be close enough to the War Memorial to wreck the "hovering effect," though these are small pics.
I think it does, and it's especially evident in the lakeside and Lincoln Memorial Drive renderings.

Quote:
And the way it sort of emerges from the hill and then has that big swooping glass wall...it's very attractive.
I also think the building's entry is rather awkward, almost an after thought, tucked into the retaining wall along the plaza, beneath the Mason Street Bridge. Meanwhile at the other end of the building, there's this glassy, cyclindrical-type form highlighted by some kind of decorative pylons, as if to signify that it's some important part of the building, like a bold front entrance--yet there's not an entryway there at all. It's like they did all this stuff, and put all those doodads on there as if to highlight it as something significant, and it turns out to be nothing at all.

And I'm still not liking that grassy knoll. I'd like to see a really cool terrace to break up that "mound" effect.

Anyway, here's an old Journal Sentinel article from Whitney Gould and her thoughts on America's Freedom Center: Building must speak, but not too loud

Quote:
In a city where EVERYTHING gets criticized for wrecking the goddamned view of the lake for a tiny portion of the massive coastline, I think this building does a good job of making a statement while also appeasing the nay-sayers and NIMBY's.
The lakefront is like the front yard of the city--few people want to see it mucked up with tacky lawn ornaments. That's why all the lakefront development is such a hot topic.

On the plus side, the AFC would be replacing the existing surface parking lot for the War Memorial, and, I think, would hide the retaining wall along the ramp that leads from LMD up to the Mason Street Bridge. If only something could be done to the way that ramp meets LMD at the bottom--to get rid of that tangle of crossovers, it's too freeway-ish there. If that traffic engineering situation could be handled somehow, it would allow the opportunity for that pedestrian path leading inland from the lake to cross LMD, and then procede via a grand staircase up the bluff, and line up perfectly with Juneau's statue in the park at the top of the bluff.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2004, 5:52 AM

A proposal to create an African-American cultural and entertainment district on Milwaukee's North Side is back in the spotlight. A group of community leaders is spearheading the initiative, trying to bring life into the proposal which was stalled four years ago due to neighborhood concerns.

The proposal for the district calls for a concentration of retsuarants, nightclubs, theaters, and retail uses in the heart of the city's African-American community. The district is planned to build on the momentum of revitalization and reinvestment that had occurred on nearby N. Dr. Martin Luther King Drive. The district is proposed for a stretch of blocks along W. North Avenue, between I-43 and MLK Drive. Already in the neighborhood is the America's Black Holocaust Museum.

The district proposal is known as 21st Century Bronzeville; a reference to Milwaukee's original Bronzeville district--a cluster of black-owned clubs, theaters and other businesses that thrived in the 1950s a few blocks to the south (which was bulldozed to make room for the freeway).

Have a look at the Journal Sentinel article for more: Plan for entertainment district back on table - Meetings seek public input on development for King Drive area

In other development news, a study claims visitors of the Harley-Davidson museum would bring an estimated $39 million yearly into the metropolitan area by spending money for food, beverages, hotels, entertainment, and other services.

See the Journal Sentinel article for the details: $39 million impact seen from Harley museum - New study estimates visitors' yearly spending

And yet still more, some new news about New Land Enterprises' propsal for a Downtown residnetial project on N. Marshall and N. Cass Streets, a few blocks inland from the lake (announced a few weeks ago in this thread).

The $38 million development, called City Green, will be built in three phases. A 10-story building with 44 condos could break ground later this year and be completed by summer 2005. A second phase calls for an 8-story building with 48 condos; and a third phase will be a 6-story apartment building with 42 units. Also included will be 6200 square feet of retail space and a parking garage (mostly underground) for 364 spaces, which includes spaces for City Green residents as well as the general public (to replace the spaces lost when the City-owned surface lot is be redeveloped).

Another New Land project on the East Side, the Sterling Condominiums (at N. Farwell and E. Royall Place), will break ground later this year as well.

Check out the Journal Sentinel for more: Condo, apartment project planned for downtown - Development, to be built in 3 phases, would also include retail space

Old Posted Feb 16, 2004, 8:02 AM

Several exciting possibilities for Downtown retail developments are reported in today's Business Journal:

- Department of City Development officials and other community leaders have been shopping for retail development on the block bounded by W. Michigan Street, N. Plankinton Avenue, W. Clybourn, and N. 2nd Street. DCD is hoping to attract a department store from Kohl's and a grocery store from Whole Foods.

Just the other day I mentioned how ideal it would be if Kohl's would build downtown (since they're a nationally-known, locally-based chain from Menomonee Falls), and how unfortunate it is they don't do urban stores. According to the article, it seems Kohl's is now considering building small urban stores as part of a new national expansion strategy.

Grocery retailer Whole Foods previously considered entering the Milwaukee market with a downtown store a few years ago, but dropped the search. With an increased residential base in Downtown and neighborhoods to the south, they just might renew their search.

- Across the street on N 2nd Street, the development group Wispark owns a vacant three-story building and surface parking lot. Wispark has not yet released any plans to redevelop the properties, but could do so in the future.

- Ivory Tusk Management is seeking tenants for ground-floor retail space in the little art deco styled parking garage at the corner of N. Plankinton Avenue and W. Michigan Street.

- And the main Downtown retail venue, The Shops of Grand Avenue (formerly known as Grand Avenue Mall), has almost completed its own renovations that will include soon-to-open TJMaxx, Linens 'n Things, and Old Navy stores as major tenants.

Read all about it (scroll down, two-pager): Primed for Kohl's - Wispark buys site in Westown that could spur retail activity

Old Posted Feb 16, 2004, 4:24 PM
BANNED

Spectacular news! I had no idea they were putting in an Old Navy...that's one of the few chains I actually like.

Whole Foods is based out of Seattle or something, right? I've heard they're big-time upscale...kind of like a step above Sendiks. Good news.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2004, 8:26 AM

Great news! I remember seeing the remodeling going on in the shops of grand ave. and a big TJ Maxx sign on the floor. I think that is in the east end of the mall. I wonder where the others will go? Can't wait to see.

Ba Dum Chee!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2004, 8:30 AM

Whole Foods Market is based out of Austin, Texas (just like the article says). They are sort of a more "upscale" grocery, a bit like Sendiks.

The TJMaxx, Linens 'n Things, and Old Navy are moving into the east end of the mall, in the historic Plankinton Arcade at the east end of the mall.

Last edited by Markitect; Feb 17, 2004 at 8:38 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2004, 7:09 AM

Last October, Weas Development proposed a small mixed-use project with condos and street-level retail for a prominent riverside site in Walker's Point at E. Seeboth and S. Water Streets. The site is currently occupied by a small brick warehouse dating back to the early 1870s.

A group of preservationists has managed to secure temporary historic designation for the warehouse, saving it from being demolished, for now. Those who feel it should be saved believe it is an important historical artifact reflecting the neighborhood's development, and a good example of Italianate commercial building style. The Historic Preservation Commission has 90 days to decide if the warehouse should receive a permanent historic statuts. Should the Common Council accept such recommendation, the building cannot be demolished without permission from the HPC.

Weas Development contends the warehouse is historically and architecturally insignificant because it has been altered many times over the years. The firm's proposal is a $20 million building, called 100 Seeboth, designed by Tod Williams Billie Tsien & Associates from New York City.

See the Journal Sentinel artcile for more: Condo project stumbles on historic designation

Here is a photo of the existing warehouse in the foreground. In the background, across Water Street, are the new Waterfront Condominiums. Just out of frame to the right is a former foundry complex, which will be redeveloped into another mixed-use project (reported elsewhere in this thread).

Here is a rendering of the 100 Seeboth proposal, showing the facades along Seeboth and Water Streets.

A view of the riverside facade and RiverWalk plaza.

I don't necessarily think the warehouse is all that worthy of being saved. However, I do not like the proposed building all that much either--because it essentially ignores the streetscape with massive almost-entirely-blank facades. That's a big no-no in urban development, especially if there's supposed to be street-level retail, which needs lots of windows. This is also a very prominent site, as it is located right at the gateway into Walker's Point--right on the river, right on Water Street, right on 1st Street, right in front of a small plot of land that would make a great little public plaza once the other buildings fronting that space are spruced up. This is not the location for a building that turns its back on the street.

While I'll give the design a few points for not being another retro throwback that could mimic authentic historical buildings in the neighborhood, it is still mediocre at best.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2004, 6:06 AM

At long last, more information and renderings have been released for the proposed Pier Wisconsin project! Early designs for the project were criticized for being too similar to the Milwaukee Art Museum addition designed by Santiago Calatrava, for obstructing lake views with its tall tent-like sturcture and blank walls, and other design issues. As a result, a design competition was held last year and Pire Wisconsin selected a scheme by Jim Shields of HGA.

Assuming there are no more major obstacles to overcome, and pending approval at an upcoming Common Council meeting, Pier Wisconsin could break ground late this spring, with completion expected in late-2005.

Read through the Journal Sentinel article for all kinds of detailed information about the design scheme:
Unfurling Pier Wisconsin - New design delights advocates of project, as well as critics of previous plan

The photorendering below shows an overall view of the Pier Wisconsin site:
  • At left center is Veteran's Park. (A veterans group is proposing to dock retired Navy heavy cruiser USS Des Moines there (not pictured). See my post in this thread from a couple weeks ago about their proposal.)
  • At left is the Milwaukee County War Memorial building.
  • Next to the War Memorial, is the low-slung, addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum
  • In front of the Art Museum lays the Cudahy Gardens, lined with fountains.
  • To the right of the Art Museum, jutting out into the lake, is Municipal Pier--occupied by Pieces of Eight restaurant on the left side and the proposed Pier Wisconsin complex on the right side.
  • Behind Pier Wisconsin is a new breakwater/walkway which will be used for docking boats of many sizes, including lake-going cruise ships.

The Pier Wisconsin complex consists of two major buildings. The low-lying rectangular building will house Discovery World Museum, an interactive science education center (which is currently located Downtown, next to the Milwaukee Public Museum (which could lead to possible expansion space for the MPM in the future??)). The cylindical-shaped building is the Great Lakes Aquatarium, which would focuse on marine education. Note the stairway/seating bowl that steps down to the water level.

The rendering below shows the south side of the complex, with Discovery World in the foreground and the Aquaterium in the background. The glass walls along the ground level will open up onto a terraced boardwalk and public boat dock.

The "great lawn" fronting the complex is the Jeffry Alan Posner Park--which will connect with the formal Cudahy Gardens of the Art Museum across the street (just out of shot, to the left). It will also be the "cap" to the underground parking garage for the complex.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2004, 7:19 AM
BANNED

Much better than the original. I like it. I don't think it's more attractive than the Arquitectura proposal that it was up against, but I'm sure that more than just pure aesthetics involved in this decision.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2004, 5:47 AM

Architecture/urban design/landscape critic Whitney Gould of the Journal Sentinel offers her critique of the Pier Wisconsin design. Read it: Lakefront projects can be done right

For the most part, I like this design a lot better than the original (posted back at the beginning of this thread). I hope the "great lawn" area in front of Discovery World turns into something more than just a grassy plot of land, though--it's too blank-looking in the renderings. The project's relation to the Pieces of Eight restaurant/parking lot looks a bit awkward too.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2004, 9:01 AM

Hey CG5, I like how you switched candidates there. It made me laugh for a bit. hehe.

Ba Dum Chee!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2004, 6:42 AM

Downtown Milwaukee (and the proposed Ovation Center) loses out to Wauwatosa (and the Milwaukee County Research Park) as the relocation site for GE Medical's headquarters.

Why?

Parking seems to have been a primary reason. The Downtown site requires an additional expense of constructiong a parking garage, whereas the suburban site offers plenty of space for surface lots.

Outrageous.

On the plus side, it's good for Milwaukee County and Wauwatosa, as GE MEdical will be closer to the city than it was scattered in Waukesha County. And it will be located very close to the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center, which seems to make sense.

However, the future of the Ovation Center remains uncertain, as it must now continue searching for a major tenant before it can become anything but a proposal on paper.

Read it and weep, in the Journal Sentinel: GE Medical unit picks Tosa site as new home - 1,300 jobs will move to county research park

Old Posted Mar 5, 2004, 6:57 AM

Downtown Milwaukee lost out to suburban Wauwatosa for GE Medical's new headquarters due to excessive costs:

- A smaller site limits the amount of land available for storage of equipment/materials and staging areas during the construction process.

- A smaller site means the building must be built upwards, rather than outwards--taller buildings costs more money to build.

- A taller building means stricter building and fire safety codes, thereby increasing the cost of building.

- Soil conditions near the Downtown site require more expensive foundation work.

- A Downtown site requires a multi-level parking garage, making the building more expensive.

The City refused GE Medical's request for a subsidy to cover a $43 million parking structure. Such a high figure was too much for the City to finance. Such a subsidy could create a precedent for other developers looking for massively expensive handouts too, at taxpayer's expense.

See the Journal Sentinel article for more details: High cost doomed downtown site for GE Medical - City wouldn't OK $43 million for parking structure

Changes are brewing with PabstCity, as demolition work will commence this spring. Some of the more modern and unusable buildings in the former brewery complex will come down to make room for new construction.

Developers have also decided to de-emphasize a few of the entertainment-based features, and focus some more attention on residential units.

Plans for a 2800-seat outdoor amphiateater have been scrapped, as developers realized it would have competed with other performance venues in and around Downtown. Plans for an ice skating rink have melted away, as well.

Here are the latest stats for PabstCity:

- Housing (447,000 sqft): 360 apartments, 190 condominiums.

The apartments are expected to be especially attractive to students attending MATC, MSOE, and Marquette University, all of which are nearby.

- Office (55,000 sqft)

- Retail and entertainment (450,000 sqft)

Prospective tenants so far include a House of Blues restaurant/nightclub, Sega GameWorks arcade/restaurant/bar, Hofbrauhaus microbrewery and restaurant, a museum of beer and brewing, and a 14-18 screen movie theater. Negotiatins are still in progress.

Check out the Journal Sentinel article for more: PabstCity to focus more on condos - Plans for amphitheater, ice rink dropped

Old Posted Mar 15, 2004, 7:36 AM

Lots of articles to share today...

The Journal Sentinel reviews Downtown development along W. Wisconsin Avenue, covering the residential loft conversions to revitalizing retail activity at the Shops of Grand Avenue, and the challenges these effotrs and future efforts must overcome:

Seeds of growth are taking root west of the river - But Wisconsin Ave. faces big challenges

Grand, but different - Fresh hope for city's downtown mall

Two articles from the Business Journal focus specifically on residential development in Downtown and Third Ward neighborhoods:

Who's moving downtown? - Condos attracting a range of demographics, from retirees to empty-nesters and professionals

Modern condos with a past - 3rd Ward's Commission House maintains historic atmosphere within residential units

Old Posted Mar 20, 2004, 4:55 AM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2004, 10:48 PM

cool. more construction! Yay for development!

Ba Dum Chee!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2004, 6:23 AM

Downtown Milwaukee is another step closer to getting a new hotel. The Common Council voted to sell the City-owned surface parking lot for $1 to developers who plan to construct a 225-room Sheraton Hotel on the lot. Selling certain underutilized parcels to developers for one dollar is a popular method the City uses to subsidize development.

The prominent Downtown site, along W. Wisconsin Avenue between N. 4th and 5th Streets is across the street from the Midwest Airlines Center. The block has been a "temporary" surface lot for some 20 years, when the buildings which once stood there were razed as part of the Grand Avenue Mall project--the block was slated for future mall expansion that never happened. Since then, other efforts to build a hotel on the site surfaced, but fell through.

Read the Journal Sentinel article for more details: City sells downtown site for $1 - Common Council approves sale to developers who plan 255-room Sheraton

Last edited by Markitect; Mar 25, 2004 at 6:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2004, 11:23 PM

god i hate parking lots, hehe.

Ba Dum Chee!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2004, 7:38 AM

Developers of Columbia Square point out that it doesn't make much sense to create affordable housing with unaffordable energy costs, so they are incorporating some basic environmentally sensitive design concepts into the project. Thus the design calls for extra-thick walls for insulation; an emphasis on natural lighting with large windows and skylights which will minimize the need for artificial lighting; landscaping to control runoff; and using certain recyclable building materials.

While it's nothing fancy or high-tech, there are some often overlooked strategies for any kind of development, let alone for affordable housing.

The mixed-use development will be built on a vacant block in the heart of the inner city, at W. North Avenue and N. 33rd Street. Possible tenants for the street-level retail space include a cafe, an accounting firm, and a shoe store. The two floors above will consist of 22 one- and two-bedroom units. Groundbreaking is next moneth, and completion expected by December or early-2005.

Check out the Journal Sentinel article for all the details: 'Green' apartments to save renters' green, too - Affordable housing development to be built energy-efficient

A special task force sponsored by Mayor Pratt, County Executive Walker, and several Downtown business gorups will be put together to study the possibility of moving Potawatomi Bingo Casino into Downtown. The Indian casino is currently located on W. Canal Street in the Menomonee Valley. Supporters say a Donwtown casino would boost other existing and future developments in the area, attracting more hotels and would revive stalled plansfor the convention center's third phase. However, there are several hurdles to overcome, regardless of the task force's recommendation.

Potawatomi officials are cautiously interested in relocating. The future of any and all tribal gambling facilities in the state hinges on a yet-to-be-decided lawsuit in the Wisconsin Supreme Court; a decision which is not excpected to be made until this summer. Regardless of the Court's decision, the tribe would still need to seek approval from the Federal government to move--something that's rarely been done and could take several years to accomplish. In addition, the tribe already has plans to once again expand its casino facilities on the current site in the Valley--which were put on hold due to the Supreme Court case.

Have a read through the Journal Sentinel article for specifics: Group to consider downtown casino - Pratt, Walker endorse study, but tribe won't consider move until after lawsuits are resolved

And also check out the article from the Business Journal: Task force to condiser relocating casino to downtown Milwaukee

Milwaukee's mayoral candidates express their rather uninformed opinions about urban design in an artcile from today's Journal Sentinel. They seem to have a somewhat vague notion about the concepts of urban design and they physical built environment, but neither Mayor Pratt, nor his oppontent Tom Barrett seem to be as passionate on this issue as former-Mayor Norquist was (and still is, in his new position as head of the Congress for the New Urbanism).

Do Pratt and Barrett have enough passion to demand rational, high-quality development...or will they simply take a development for development's sake approach? Are they willing to take a stand against the mediocre designs for infrastructure projects (like the 6th Street Viaduct--traffic/bridge engineers originally planned for a standard, boring concrete bridge to pass over the entire Valley--Norquist fought for a better design and obviously got it), or will they let uninspired designs for infrasturcuture proejects pass without aesthetic consideration?

See what they have to say, and some words of wisdom from others about how they should approach the issue if elected: Candidates share interest in urban landscape - But their blueprints for change lack inspiration, drive of predecessor

Last edited by Markitect; Mar 26, 2004 at 7:46 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2004, 9:58 AM
Good times!

"One of my fantasies is to start a pothole patrol," said Barrett. "I'd like to have people e-mail me or phone me with the 50 worst potholes. I'd bring a sense of urgency" to getting them fixed.

He's got my vote!!! If that isn't a pressing urban design issue, then i don't know what is

Thanks retrospectively for all the updates, Markitect

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations