HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Boardwalk at Bricktown - Legends Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
No way they’ll get a hotel operator to pay the premium or high enough sales prices on those condos for this to pencil out financially.

Phase I will probably happen. Phase II will probably be downsized to 600-700 feet and happen at that height, which will still be awesome for OKC.

Can’t imagine a tower that tall will pencil out financially in OKC though. Seems like a pipe dream. Save my comment to laugh at me if I’m wrong LOL
I think that this building of scaled down in height might be 900-1,000 feet tall, which would still surpass the height of the Devon Energy Center and they are certainly working on being taller than the Devon Tower. There would still likely be the observation deck, restaurant, and bar on the top floor as the Devon Energy Center has a restaurant on it's top two floors. When the Devon Energy Center was under construction in 2009-2012, everyone was asking the developers if that building would have an observation deck on the top floor. The developers said something actually bigger than that as a restaurant. Therefore, I would not be surprised if an observation deck and restaurant are still included in the final plans for this building even if scaled down, but still of significant height. A lot of people would likely be asking the same question, especially if it is still the tallest in Oklahoma at a scaled down height.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 10:03 PM
DENNAB

Tallest in the US outside NY or Chicago would be epic, we'd only need to surpass Comcast in Philly.

Save the next megatall for Jacksonville, Florida

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 10:52 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: San Diego > Great Falls, MT > Denver > St. Louis > Providence, RI > Worcester, MA > Kunming, China > Bay Area > St. Louis > Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Tallest in the US outside NY or Chicago would be epic, we'd only need to surpass Comcast in Philly.

^^this guy gets it

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

I’d be thrilled if Jax got the 44 story American Lions up. But I get the impression that the chances are slim.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It’s not fake if it counts. That’s not going to change.

I still don’t believe this tower has a strong chance of being built, but at least there’s the discussion of it. It’s the tallest proposal in the US since the Chicago Spire I believe.
A lot of people were skeptical in the late 1990's/early 2000's that Dubai was going to do what it ended up doing, which included building the tallest building in the world and being a top tier international city along the lines of New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, or Istanbul. Furthermore, the fact an observation deck open to the public is planned for the top floor of this building shows you just how much of a landmark this tower is intended to be. It would easily become Oklahoma City's most popular tourist attraction, considering how popular all five of New York City's skyscraper observation decks are. Those are at the Empire State Building, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, One World Trade Center, 30 Hudson Yards, and One Vanderbilt. More skyscraper observation decks in New York City are planned for 740 8th Avenue, the Tower Fifth, and the Affirmation Tower that are either under construction or proposed. Many people were asking the developers of the Devon Energy Center if it would have an observation deck on the top floor when it was under construction. While this did not quite happen, there is a restaurant where the public can have a meal or drink at on the 49th floor of that building. Therefore, the possibility is strong that this skyscraper will be built at it's intended height and that the observation deck will become a very popular attraction. Also, this might compell developers to build a true Megatall skyscraper in New York City and Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 4:08 AM

I have my doubts, but why not just add the extra 93 feet, and call it America’s first mega-tall skyscraper at this point?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:40 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: San Diego > Great Falls, MT > Denver > St. Louis > Providence, RI > Worcester, MA > Kunming, China > Bay Area > St. Louis > Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I have my doubts, but why not just add the extra 93 feet, and call it America’s first mega-tall skyscraper at this point?
Technically, they'd only need to add 61 feet to get to 600m, which is the official threshold for a megatall

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 12:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Therefore, the possibility is strong that this skyscraper will be built at it's intended height.
I'll grant you that the possibility of such coming to pass exists, but I would have chosen a different adjective.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 24, 2024 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 5:03 PM
New Yorker for life

They're getting their money's worth from the headlines alone...

https://www.pinkvilla.com/trending/w...public-1273630

Is next tallest Skyscraper in the US going to be outside of NYC? Exciting new plans revealed to public

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world...083707559.html

US to get a new tallest building soon far away from New York

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ilding-US.html

Ambitious plans to build America's tallest building sees 1,907ft skyscraper soaring above Oklahoma with hotels, residential condos and commercial space to help drive city's expansion

https://www.costar.com/article/36896...st-us-building

Oklahoma City Tower Developers Now Aim to Create Tallest US Building
Developers Raise Proposed Height of Planned Tower to 1,907 Feet, Taller Than New York’s One World Trade Center

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 5:55 PM

This updated design not only has a better-integrated spire than 1 WTC's unfinished spire, but the spire is also a much smaller percentage of the total height (~10%) than for 1 WTC (~30%). I would rather have this as North America's tallest building. If the height needs to be cut, please keep it at least 1,777 ft! If Oklahoma City doesn't need something this tall, then move it to Austin or Miami.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 6:42 PM

Quote:
They're getting their money's worth from the headlines alone...

https://www.pinkvilla.com/trending/w...public-1273630

Is next tallest Skyscraper in the US going to be outside of NYC? Exciting new plans revealed to public

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world...083707559.html

US to get a new tallest building soon far away from New York

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ilding-US.html

Ambitious plans to build America's tallest building sees 1,907ft skyscraper soaring above Oklahoma with hotels, residential condos and commercial space to help drive city's expansion

https://www.costar.com/article/36896...st-us-building

Oklahoma City Tower Developers Now Aim to Create Tallest US Building
Developers Raise Proposed Height of Planned Tower to 1,907 Feet, Taller Than New York’s One World Trade Center

Video Link
The observation deck for this building would be one of the highest above ground in the world and might be in the top five highest observation decks. It would likely become Oklahoma City's top tourist attraction.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:28 PM

Maybe the state of OK and OKC have finally realized how Texas and its big metros gets all of the publicity with development and relocations, and this is its first salvo in getting stealing Texas thunder. As those Texas cities get more and more expensive and crowded, maybe development and business will start to consider OK instead...sort of like how TN and Nashville are now in the news all the time about business and development...(No, I don't want to live in either state...)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:35 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Maybe the state of OK and OKC have finally realized how Texas and its big metros gets all of the publicity with development and relocations, and this is its first salvo in getting stealing Texas thunder. As those Texas cities get more and more expensive and crowded, maybe development and business will start to consider OK instead...sort of like how TN and Nashville are now in the news all the time about business and development...(No, I don't want to live in either state...)
I think even certain places in Texas is getting expensive nowadays. Places like Austin, Dallas, and to some extent, Houston. We could start seeing an exodus in the upcoming decade as people get priced out of Texas. Especially if OKC can offer practically the same lifestyle at 50-60% (?) of the cost.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 10:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Skyscraper fans, take note. We are not seeing the headlines of "horror" at this potential giant. Instead, it's spoken of with a sense of "wonder" and "awe". Oohhh look! Tallest building in the USA! There are no complaints about shadows. No complaints about "needing" it. No complaints about who will live or work there. Propose it in one of the major skyscraper cities, where it would make more sense to put it, and all that changes. I'm glad they are at least having this discussion though. Should something finally be taller than the Freedom Tower? Absolutely! (I noticed mention of 1,776 residential units in the development). I still don't believe it's likely to get built, but the coverage is positive.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 11:12 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Skyscraper fans, take note. We are not seeing the headlines of "horror" at this potential giant. Instead, it's spoken of with a sense of "wonder" and "awe". Oohhh look! Tallest building in the USA! There are no complaints about shadows. No complaints about "needing" it. No complaints about who will live or work there. Propose it in one of the major skyscraper cities, where it would make more sense to put it, and all that changes. I'm glad they are at least having this discussion though. Should something finally be taller than the Freedom Tower? Absolutely! (I noticed mention of 1,776 residential units in the development). I still don't believe it's likely to get built, but the coverage is positive.
I'm guessing that's primarily due to two main reasons.

1) OKC needs something that'll put it on the map. Most other major cities already have some sort of instantly recognizable landmark(s).
2) Are there even people around to complain about shadows? OKC is one of the least dense/populated downtowns, no? It's not like any views are being blocked.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
The observation deck for this building would be one of the highest above ground in the world and might be in the top five highest observation decks. It would likely become Oklahoma City's top tourist attraction.
BUT......really. What would one see in OK City? Really?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 11:45 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
As a Non Native, 30+ years resident of Austin, who knows OK and OKC...Why OKC? This is just a Big Johnson for those proposing this. It will not happen! OKC downtown needs to build infill, not a male appendage. Create a truly livable downtown with your River Walk. Then the appendage!

At least Texas has s o m e....interest. The Big cities are all very different in some ways. The state has a little difference in topography and climate; some. A BIG Attitude of self. Politics? Laws? The weather in OK and North Texas is terrible. In Austin they are now building the tallest building in the state, but surrounded by other very tall buildings.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 2:33 AM

Some thoughts...

America, the birthplace of the skyscraper, has a irrational fear of building heights these days. Be it NIMBYism, outdated zoning, or FAA's overreached on airspace, it seems like the rest of the world, paticularaly Asia, has been reaching for skys with ever taller buildings while the 1,776 ft World Trade Center feels like the unofficial height limit for the Nation. Therefore, I hope this ridiculous supertall building gets built in Oklahoma City of all places, and that seen a a huge success and sense of pride for the city, as that may shame New York City, Chicago and other big cities into once again embracing the skyscraper and reach for the skies. I'm not saying we take the #1 spot from Dubai, but if the market supports it, let's see more tall, dense buildings in our cities.

Go get em' Oklahoma City. Prove the haters wrong and build this tall, financially infeasible tower! Height is Good.

Last edited by C.; Jan 25, 2024 at 2:58 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
BUT......really. What would one see in OK City? Really?
The Devon Energy Center has a restaurant on the top two floors and it is a popular dining spot in part due to the views that it provides. When the Devon Tower was being built, a lot of people were asking the developer if an observation deck would be built on top. They wanted to do more than that and a restaurant provides that. Therefore, it is no surprise that the Legends Tower is planned to have an observation deck and restaurant on the top floors.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 4:04 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post

America, the birthplace of the skyscraper, has a irrational fear of building heights these days.
More accurately, lenders have a rational fear of losing money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals