HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 9:21 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubiqtss View Post
Does that imply wood construction on the residential floors?.
yes, it does.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I don't want to be the guy that spoke the obvious. But we have seen MANY places torn down and nothing happens for a long time if ever. So is this really going to be built or is this just the developers wish . And for the time being it's now a bigger parking lot.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 4:14 AM
surely you agree with me

If all goes to plan with the tender, it should start construction in a month or so.

Quite the Twitter conversation following that post. Developers are basically murdering people.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 4:59 AM

Quote:
If all goes to plan with the tender, it should start construction in a month or so.

Quite the Twitter conversation following that post. Developers are basically murdering people.
imagine the alternate universe where your building was already there, and developers proposed knocking down its 7 commercial units and 90 residential units, and replacing it with three 1/2 storey buildings and a surface parking lot

people would lose their minds

however, for some reason, when the change goes the other way, it's... also... not good? apparently?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
imagine the alternate universe where your building was already there, and developers proposed knocking down its 7 commercial units and 90 residential units, and replacing it with three 1/2 storey buildings and a surface parking lot

however, for some reason, when the change goes the other way, it's... also... not good? apparently?
People are shyte

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
People are shyte
people just hate change and invent reasons for hating change

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:09 PM

Quote:

You see it here and in every forum and online comment section. People who will crap all over anything and everything. I assume they are folks who feel insignificant or powerless, and try to lift themselves up by trying to tear down anyone else's hint of optimism or positive news. Luckily, this forum has the "block" option!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I don't want to be the guy that spoke the obvious. But we have seen MANY places torn down and nothing happens for a long time if ever. So is this really going to be built or is this just the developers wish . And for the time being it's now a bigger parking lot.
Totally agree, I thought the same thing when I passed by the site earlier this week. But if vike says it's happening then that's good enough for me...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:20 PM

Quote:

It's really hard to please the Twitter trolls.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:

I watched the Community Committee meeting for this project. One of the complaints was the "loss of public green space".

When the developer got a chance to do rebuttals, he simply pointed out that there was no green space to be lost, as it was 3 small buildings and a surface lot. That got a chuckle from me. But it was a good demonstration of the level of complaining that people will do - they'll either invent problems simply so they can whine about it, or they won't even bother to verify the nature of the project and site before heading to city hall to try and block it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:32 PM

"loss of greenspace" is pretty much the most standard NIMBY objection that gets raised automatically, regardless of the actual situation.

followed closely by "it will create too much traffic".

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
"loss of greenspace" is pretty much the most standard NIMBY objection that gets raised automatically, regardless of the actual situation.

followed closely by "it will create too much traffic".
The other I've noticed of late is "Affordable Housing". As in "I don't think the rents will be low enough, so the city should block development." Because as we all know, the universal law of supply and demand skips over housing, and the best way to decrease the cost of housing is to build less of it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 4:46 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

oh man, that is a golden response. I am definitely locking and loading that for next time.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 4:51 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
The other I've noticed of late is "Affordable Housing". As in "I don't think the rents will be low enough, so the city should block development." Because as we all know, the universal law of supply and demand skips over housing, and the best way to decrease the cost of housing is to build less of it.
its totally crazy. When did market rate rental apartments become the devil. We of course need dedicated affordable housing but we can't expect the private market to fill that need. Its not economically possible.

I work with these young developers and infill development like this is not the cash cow everyone thinks it is. It is really hard to make it work. They are taking a HUGE risk.

I saw one retweet of this project saying that developers don't build housing out of the goodness of their heart, they do it to make money.....like who has a job that they do out of the goodness of their heart and not to make money?

the opposition on twitter was that it is not low income housing because that's what the community needs, which it of course does. But it also needs mid-market housing.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 3:40 PM

RIP, stucco clown

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:10 PM

Quote:
its totally crazy. When did market rate rental apartments become the devil. We of course need dedicated affordable housing but we can't expect the private market to fill that need. Its not economically possible.

I work with these young developers and infill development like this is not the cash cow everyone thinks it is. It is really hard to make it work. They are taking a HUGE risk.

I saw one retweet of this project saying that developers don't build housing out of the goodness of their heart, they do it to make money.....like who has a job that they do out of the goodness of their heart and not to make money?

the opposition on twitter was that it is not low income housing because that's what the community needs, which it of course does. But it also needs mid-market housing.
Absolutely everything done in the world is by someone trying to make money. EVERYTHING. Someone owns it. Someone made it. Someone made money.

I come across this from time to time in my work life. No I'm not working away 8 hours a day because I want to. I need to make money and this is how I do it. Thank you very much mega corporation making money off my labour. I'm not here to be nice to you.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 2:39 PM
surely you agree with me

How about this piece of journalistic excellence. Mixed reaction to new development from neighbourhood residents. Proof? Here’s a random lady presented with no context that doesn’t even live in the neighbourhood apparently because Osborne is not cool like it was when she was a teenager. She hates all the condos on Osborne that have replaced the funky shops she seems to remember despite the article saying there’s been no new development in decades and this new building is apartments not condos. Also she thinks the parking lot and little stucco boxes that were literally falling into the ground were ‘iconic’.

It drives me nuts that people have this romantic image of Osborne from their youth. Like it was Greenwich Village in New York. It wasn’t. Last night there were line ups at the pubs and clubs all down the strip. I bet the kids going there will have the same memories twenty years from now and will lament the change because they don’t go to clubs anymore.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...576673262.html

A proposed six-storey multi-use development is gaining mixed reviews from Osborne Village residents.

For some, the space is seen as a fresh addition to the corner of Osborne Street and Gertrude Avenue. For others, the demolition of the former home of local businesses Gags Unlimited, AAA Consignment, Village Laundry and Peg City Yoga turns fond memories to rubble.

“I think it’s a great thing. It’s good to see those buildings gone,” said Burke Ratte, who drove past the site daily for 25 years as a Winnipeg Transit bus driver. “I think it was an eye sore. They were falling apart if you ever went in to do a bit of shopping.

“In my opinion, anything’s an improvement compared to what was there.”

The proposed development would include 90 residential units, with 14 suites being considered affordable by the standards of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. It would also feature commercial spaces on the main floor, which could attract local business, according to Adam Sharfe of Sharfe Developments.

“I listened to neighbours and local businesses to see what everyone found to be the most important esthetic, what should be included and what shouldn’t be included,” Sharfe said.

“I’m optimistic it’s going to send a spark to revive the area and give new local businesses the opportunity to lease some space that’s newer and more sound to hopefully flourish and become successful.”
Construction of the proposed development at Osborne Street and Gertrude Avenue is expected to take around 20 months.
Sharfe said due to fluctuating prices of construction and suppliers, he is hoping to have an estimated price for the development by August. If all goes according to plan, occupancy would open in two years’ time: “The construction timeline would be around 20 months.”

Sharfe said it’s hard to be the one to remove meaningful buildings from an area, but he hopes the new space will be positive for the community.

“I had memories in the old buildings, so I’m already reminiscing of walking through there when I was a kid, even after I bought it. It’s something that’s on my mind, but I’m very encouraged by the amount of support and positivity I’ve been receiving from residents and businesses in the area.

Lindsay Somers, executive director of Osborne Village Business Improvement Zone, said the proposed building would be a nice entrance to the neighbourhood.

“This project is exciting. It’s going to bring more businesses and homes to Osborne Village. It’s further increasing our density, which is good socially and economically for the area,” she said. “It will add investment to that part of Osborne Village that hasn’t seen any growth in decades.”

The changes weren’t as popular for Alexa Parker Mackintosh, who used to live in Osborne Village, but moved for reasons related to the changing scene.

“It’s just really sad to see yet another group of iconic buildings die in order to make room for even more cookie cutter condos on a strip that used to be so walkable and fun. There are so many things that could’ve been done to revive the area, but it just keeps getting worse,” she said.

“If it were livelier and more affordable, the young folks would be coming in droves, like they did when I was in my teens and 20s.”

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
How about this piece of journalistic excellence. Mixed reaction to new development from neighbourhood residents. Proof? Here’s a random lady presented with no context that doesn’t even live in the neighbourhood apparently because Osborne is not cool like it was when she was a teenager.
Sadly this seems common for many media reports. Report a piece of information, find a positive quote and a negative quote, and conclude the public response is "mixed". While not technically "inaccurate" (someone DID disapprove after all) there appears to be either little time or little interest in researching how the bulk of a the community feels (aka actual "journalism").

I often wonder the degree to which these types of stories contribute to the dissatisfaction that people express about the city. Yes, yes i know, reporters will always claim they are unbiased and only "reflect" public opinion, but that's just spin IMO. Leaving a general impression that a significant number of people are dissatisfied with this project (or any others) would create public dissatisfaction, wouldn't it?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 3:02 PM

i love the people who talk about the village being ruined as if they were tearing down restaurants and record stores and concert venues.

it was a parking lot, a vacant former flea market, a coin-op laundry and a costume rental place. everyone who complains about what's being lost in the village should be required to (1) actually show they can name what used to be on the site being developed, and (2) share when they actually last went to any of these places

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 3:35 PM

The costume and antique stores were a heavy 1-2 combination for half-assing gifts without looking like you were half-assing gifts. But yeah, it was time for those buildings to go.

Will CRU rents be cheap enough in the new building for something like Gags?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan