HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 7:22 PM

They at least have an equity partner. This is from the ABJ link.

Quote:
PGIM Inc., formerly Prudential Investment Management, is the equity partner.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

EDIT: The BBVA Tower apparently has an Equity partner as well, but Ryan Cos. isn't ready to name the entity yet.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 6:48 PM

Disappointed it's all glass - the staggered pattern on the elevations made it look like there was gonna be some texture to the building.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin242 View Post
Depending on what is at street level this could be an overall negative. It'd be a shame to loose all the bars and restaurants for a boring office building that none of us will ever work in. Fingers crossed the first floor adds to the street life rather than take like the many Dallas skyscrapers do.
The only bar space we'd be losing would be the old alamo drafthouse building (which was a series of bars before its last ieration, V, whiched closed years ago). The other space were all restaurant - and I have no doubt there will be restaurant/retail included on the ground floor of this building.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
The only bar space we'd be losing would be the old alamo drafthouse building (which was a series of bars before its last ieration, V, whiched closed years ago). The other space were all restaurant - and I have no doubt there will be restaurant/retail included on the ground floor of this building.
I only hope it's well thought out. Looking at many of the most recent high rises built in Austin, a lot of them have restaurant space, but it's only the space for quite a large restaurant (even 10k sq feet). So, it ends up being more of an expense account restaurant. You can see this in North Shore, 5th and Colorado, 300 Colorado, and a lot of others. It'd be better off with multiple smaller spaces, that let small non-chains exist within them.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 4:05 PM

crossing my fingers this never gets built. these glass monoliths are a monument to themselves. this design looks like it was plucked out of londons hideous skyline. god i cannot believe how hideous this building looks

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
crossing my fingers this never gets built. these glass monoliths are a monument to themselves. this design looks like it was plucked out of londons hideous skyline. god i cannot believe how hideous this building looks
I'm here for glass monolithic monuments

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
I only hope it's well thought out. Looking at many of the most recent high rises built in Austin, a lot of them have restaurant space, but it's only the space for quite a large restaurant (even 10k sq feet). So, it ends up being more of an expense account restaurant. You can see this in North Shore, 5th and Colorado, 300 Colorado, and a lot of others. It'd be better off with multiple smaller spaces, that let small non-chains exist within them.

This. Exactly. We're on a path to kicking all cheaper options out of downtown.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 9:41 PM
Resident Moron

This looks a lot like something that could be going in the Hudson Yards. I don't love it, but it's a unique looking building to the city so sure. It will avoid the Hudson Yards problem of a bunch of very similar looking buildings together plus that weird acorn looking monstrosity.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 1:57 AM
Love Austin

This building takes my breath away. Wow!

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 2:55 PM

Late to the party here...LOVE how the render turned out. I always had faith in this one being amazing. The notches though.....They are really distracting to me. I wonder if they'll adjust like with Indeed tower. I recall those being kind of atrocious in early renders.

Def looooove the smoothness of it and can't wait to see this shape in the skyline. Very elegant.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Late to the party here...LOVE how the render turned out. I always had faith in this one being amazing. The notches though.....They are really distracting to me. I wonder if they'll adjust like with Indeed tower. I recall those being kind of atrocious in early renders.

Def looooove the smoothness of it and can't wait to see this shape in the skyline. Very elegant.
Elegant... you hit the word.
Yeah.... those notches. Even if you feel the need to have " work space relief" ( my guess ) seems like they could have been done in a way that felt more in keeping with the overall lines of the building. ( it's so easy to redesign from afar... I bet the architect is just happen that crown is in tact at this point! )

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post

yessss! I'm not the only one who is not crazy about the notches. Great minds think alike!

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 11:48 PM

Michael & Genral: YES. Glad I am not alone here. I bet we'll see a change in those notches. They're too odd looking to stay as is.

The crown better not change. I love the softness so much!

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:18 AM

I’ll be your 4th. I really want this one, without the notches. The sides all the way down are sexy af. Skip the notches.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:35 AM

Good calls all around. Nthing the notchless preference.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:38 AM

Now should we start a notchless petition?

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Four backup files for this project were posted online for Monday's HLC meeting. But there were no renderings. Anyway, there's plenty of history concerning the three buildings proposed for Demo:

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=332834

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=332825

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=332836
Is there a reason why the detailed occupancy history starts at '92 and goes backward with only a smattering of what was there after '92 on all of these? As someone that moved here in '92 I (selfishly) like knowing everything that's been there from that point forward

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 6:18 AM
Meh

Notches can be done right, but I can't help but think of them as a missing tooth in an otherwise nice smile.

If they really wanted notches, I'd rather they be implemented in a way that makes them more of a theme throughout the building than just a few random features here and there. Maybe even have "notches" on every floor, which wouldn't make them notches anymore. Think of the protruding balconies on the Four Seasons Residences, but imagine them being recessed as "notches" rather than protruding out from the facade.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 2:12 PM
Old West Austin

I think the notches could have been cool if they had applied the same smooth curvature in the cutouts that were used on the top of the building.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite View Post
I think the notches could have been cool if they had applied the same smooth curvature in the cutouts that were used on the top of the building.
100% agree, I was thinking the exact same thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin