HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic View Post
Geez, that is so ugly. Why can’t developers commit to just one finish material?

to me that one should look nicer than, say, something from novare, (at least the skyhouses) but it turns out looking even worse. i feel like the developer was actually trying here but just took things in the wrong direction.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 12:18 AM

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Feb 22, 2019 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:24 AM
Topher’s 2 cents

They need to level that building next to the Charles, and make it green space. If I had the cash, that’s exactly what would happen.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 4:38 PM

Jamestown eyes deal for The Shops Buckhead Atlanta

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

Quote:
Atlanta-based Jamestown is working on an agreement to buy The Shops Buckhead Atlanta, one of the city’s biggest real estate projects since the recession ended.

The apartments and offices of The Shops Buckhead Atlanta have generally performed well. But, the retail has struggled to sustain the same buzz and rent growth of other Atlanta projects, including Simon Property Group’s Lenox Square and Ponce City Market, people familiar with the projects say. The Shops Buckhead Atlanta is averaging retail rents well under the $80 to $100 per square foot it once targeted, according to sources familiar with the project.

Meanwhile, Ponce City Market, Jamestown’s redevelopment of the city’s giant Sears, Roebuck & Co. warehouse along the Atlanta Beltline, features traditional mall retailers such as Williams-Sonoma and J. Crew, co-working space and several technology companies. It’s now achieving some of the highest retail and office rents in the city.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The block between Buckhead Ave & East Paces Ferry is already out of place. Easily should have been residential above the retail or mirrored the offices a block south along Pharr Rd.

Would also love to see that old cheesecake factory & suntrust bank be redeveloped.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Interesting. If Jamestown buys it, I would consider that a win for Buckhead village. Those guys seem to know how to do successful retail development.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Completed Gables Buckhead
God, this design infuriates me. I tend to like alot of designs that get lampooned by others on this forum like Signia, Coda, Anthem.

But this building is horrendous. Probably the worst building built in Atlanta this cycle. I wouldn't even expect something like this in Destin. The cinder block-looking facade on the left that the "Ashley" sign is attached to looks like it could be the facade of a prison and is totally out of place with the row home-type facade to its right. That row home facade actually looks OK but doesn't belong in this development.

If they didn't do the awful cinder blocks and just continued brick in that area, it would be less terrible. My three year old could come up with a better design.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
God, this design infuriates me. I tend to like alot of designs that get lampooned by others on this forum like Signia, Coda, Anthem.

But this building is horrendous. Probably the worst building built in Atlanta this cycle. I wouldn't even expect something like this in Destin. The cinder block-looking facade on the left that the "Ashley" sign is attached to looks like it could be the facade of a prison and is totally out of place with the row home-type facade to its right. That row home facade actually looks OK but doesn't belong in this development.

If they didn't do the awful cinder blocks and just continued brick in that area, it would be less terrible. My three year old could come up with a better design.
Agreed! Not to be hyperbolic, but this takes the crown for ugliest building in Atlanta. Whoever designed this is terrible at their job. If you’re designing under a budget constraint, take a minimalistic approach and don’t be tacky! Jeez, I can’t get over how ugly it is.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 9:49 PM

Well that's not the best photo in the world. It can't possibly look that bad in person can it?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 10:49 PM

Who is the architect?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 1:12 AM
Topher’s 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Well that's not the best photo in the world. It can't possibly look that bad in person can it?
It does. I pass it in a regular basis. Modera Buckhead is just as hideous IMO.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 1:53 AM

Niles Bolton is the architect of Ashley Gables, but it doesn't show up on their portfolio listing!
https://www.nilesbolton.com/portfolio/#architecture

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Niles Bolton is the architect of Ashley Gables, but it doesn't show up on their portfolio listing!
https://www.nilesbolton.com/portfolio/#architecture
It’s smart of them to omit it, for obvious reasons.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 4:55 PM

It definitely suffers from "break up the box" syndrome. It would've probably been a nice project if they hadn't gone schizophrenic on the facade.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 10:19 AM

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 10:37 AM

Here's a couple more photos of Gables Buckhead. I think the lower section with the gray block (or brick) is really what kills the appearance of this building.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuunW-gBshE/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuuKAOoh28N/

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Mar 11, 2019 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 1:54 PM

Hopefully they paint that cinderblock looking brick white in a few years

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:

Wonder what the DRC had to say about this one?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
The cinder block-looking facade on the left that the "Ashley" sign is attached to looks like it could be the facade of a prison
The Atlanta Prison makes this place look terrible

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 6:49 PM

i know the modera buckhead highrise has been criticized some here, but i just passed it recently with most of its facade panels up and i think it looks pretty fantastic, especially compared to the ashley. up close, it "works" and the garage masking is A++.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta