HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:20 AM
Honored Member

There was a story in the allnovascotia.com that discussed Mike Savage's tax plan (allnovascotia.com, Sunday Oct 21st, 2012, "Mayor Savage Talks Tax Reform", by Amy Pugsley Fraser). Mike Savage wants to decrease the commercial tax burden in downtown Halifax to encourage growth and make it the showcase of the municipality. Also he would like to decrease the difference in tax rate between the downtown and other parts of the municipality. He also feels that the government needs to start investing in the downtown and that includes streetscaping and infrastructure.

It sounds like a sensible goal. Hopefully he can get enough support from the other Councillors.

In a separate allnovascotia.com story, it was mentioned that there will likely be a recount in District 3 (Dartmouth South-Eastern Passage) where Jackie Barkhouse unofficially won by 6 votes over Bill Karsten. The preliminary vote total was 3,352 to 3,346.

Last edited by fenwick16; Oct 22, 2012 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:51 AM

When does the new council get sworn in?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:57 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
When does the new council get sworn in?
According to this story, they will be sworn in on November 6th, 2012 - http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...-drawing-board

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:02 AM
Salty Town

Congrats Waye. Even though I disagree with most of your opinions I wish you luck. Halifax is on the verge of becoming a the great city it once was and hopefully the new/old council will recognize this. Improved transit, high density corridors, heritage preservation, and a can-do attitude can bring Halifax into he 21st century.

The construction industry in Halifax is a major economic driver. Hopefully areas like Young St. - Kempt. Rd. and Dartmouth downtown to the MacKay bridge will be seen as high growth areas. Downtown Halifax needs to be the centerpiece for development. What are people looking for when considering moving to Halifax? What are people looking for when considering moving away from Halifax? We need to fill in the blanks going forward.....stadium, LRT, improved transit overall, a positive business climate, and striking new architecture will keep the buzz going. Let's shake the negative climate in Halifax once and for all.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:23 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
He also feels that the government needs to start investing in the downtown and that includes streetscaping and infrastructure.
We'll have to wait and see what happens, but I could see the new council being substantially better for the downtown than the old council. A few of the councillor swaps seem positive and, hopefully, the reduction from 23 to 16 seats will allow councillors to debate and focus on issues more effectively. Policies aside, simply cutting down on the grandstanding and cat herding would be a big improvement.

I don't really know much about Mike Savage but his policy proposals for the downtown Halifax are more focused and articulate than what I remember from Peter Kelly's campaigns. To me Kelly always felt like a suburban mayor. I hope that Mike Savage will be more ambitious.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:46 AM

Congrats Waye!

I was rooting for five people and three of them were elected so I'm content with the results.

I didn't have a mayoral favourite but since Fred Connors didn't win I am satisfied.

Other than McCluskey and Barkhouse the new council looks decent so lets hope for some major changes in the next four years.

As for my wishlist for what Savage and his council should focus on until 2016;

1) Improved overall transit. Establish BRT corridors and new terminals.
2) Concrete solution to the "Bedford Transit" problem. Funding approved and under construction by the next election. LRT/Dayliners/fast ferry suggested.
3) Stadium - not necessarily built but site chosen and design finalized.
4) Cogswell Interchange - Final redevelopment plan chosen and phasing initiated. Must have new transit terminal.
5) Suburban Sprawl - Limit growth areas to "infills" between existing communities. Focus new development in other areas to Highway 101 & 102 corridors.
6) Urban Development - Simply put more density allowed in urban core. Focus on Young /Quinpool/Bridge Terminal areas for taller buildings.
7) Industrial Expansion - Limit new business parks. Raise taxes and have a ceiling on expansion lands per year. Protect heavy industrial in Burnside but allow mixed use appropriately around it (ie Burnside Drive and Wrights Cove areas).
8) Complete overhaul of Traffic Department. Make them accountable for their actions! Rewrite their codes to prioritize active transportation and public transit.
9) Increase active transportation budget significantly.
10) Streetscaping projects on Agricola, Spring Garden, Gottingen, Barrington, Portland, and Quinpool.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
There was a story in the allnovascotia.com that discussed Mike Savage's tax plan (allnovascotia.com, Sunday Oct 21st, 2012, "Mayor Savage Talks Tax Reform", by Amy Pugsley Fraser). Mike Savage wants to decrease the commercial tax burden in downtown Halifax to encourage growth and make it the showcase of the municipality. Also he would like to decrease the difference in tax rate between the downtown and other parts of the municipality. He also feels that the government needs to start investing in the downtown and that includes streetscaping and infrastructure.

It sounds like a sensible goal. Hopefully he can get enough support from the other Councillors.
Yup!

The prospects for the downtown are exciting!

It'll be intriguing to see how this 'decrease in difference' of tax rates throughout the city plays out. Will this mean increasing taxes in suburban areas? (I hope so).

If we're going to lessen taxes in the downtown we'll likely have to compensate for the lost revenues, especially since we want to make big investments in public transit. Increasing taxes is never super popular, but with more people in the suburbs wanting to relieve themselves of the cost burdens of car ownership and maintenance, increasing taxes to bring forward more convenient public transit should be an easier sell politically.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 1:57 PM

One thing I didn't see on the Savage list was the much-needed bylaw limiting the number of appearances of Waye Mason on CBC. Hopefully that is just an oversight.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

You have to stay in the public eye if you plan on being a future mayor!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:04 PM

Quote:

In a separate allnovascotia.com story, it was mentioned that there will likely be a recount in District 3 (Dartmouth South-Eastern Passage) where Jackie Barkhouse unofficially won by 6 votes over Bill Karsten. The preliminary vote total was 3,352 to 3,346.
The problem isn't Commercial taxes for most business downtown. In fact most taxes being paid by commercial tenants in the suburbs is now more then the downtown. Lowering them won't change this.

What needs to change is better public transit, infastructure i.e. roadways in and out of the core, parking, and density nearby the core for residential.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
What needs to change is better public transit, infastructure i.e. roadways in and out of the core, parking, and density nearby the core for residential.
Unfortunately there seems to be no larger plan or vision when it comes to transportation. Over the last ten years it's all been ad hoc projects that have mostly been voted down by council or have stalled for some reason (e.g. CN legal action, not that they'd necessarily get anywhere otherwise, but it's a good excuse).

Often councillors will say they want "better transit" when they vote down something like Bayers Road but the reality is that there is no plausible transit plan on the table that can make a big difference. Futhermore it's extremely unlikely that any major transportation problems can be fixed without some kind of roadwork somewhere, even if we're only talking about transit. Buses use the road network too. If council keeps voting down anything that involves disruption for even a small number of residents then there will be no solutions, aside from maybe more office parks in Sackville so people can live and work in the suburbs.

Another problem here appears to be staff. The last commuter rail report looked like it was created in about 1980. It didn't even mention integrating different transit services or transit-oriented development. Light rail meanwhile is considered beyond the pale for some reason, even though in cities like Kitchener-Waterloo they are already moving forward with LRT plans. Maybe HRM needs some outside consultants who are aware of the newer transit technologies available. The city definitely needs a transportation plan that weighs different modes against each other rather than considering individual projects on an ad hoc basis.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 2:57 PM

From News 95.7...

HRM's Returning Officer says a review of voting results in District 3 finds Bill Karsten, not Jackie Barkhouse, is the winner. Saturday's numbers had Barkhouse winning by 6 votes. Today's review shows Karsten winning by 68 votes

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
From News 95.7...

HRM's Returning Officer says a review of voting results in District 3 finds Bill Karsten, not Jackie Barkhouse, is the winner. Saturday's numbers had Barkhouse winning by 6 votes. Today's review shows Karsten winning by 68 votes
Thank god...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 4:45 PM

With that change I am now pleased with the results (opposed to content). The removal of McCluckey would make me happy (replacement of her with Sam would make be very happy).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 7:43 PM

I'm in District 8 and just wanted to say that Doug MacDonald had a very strong campaign, especially in North North. Signs everywhere and a lot of shoe leather on the pavement. I voted Jwatts but am not surprised by the amount of support he garnered.

My husband was pointing out that voter turnout in Jwatts' former area is really high compared to Halifax in general so it probably went in her favor.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post
I'm in District 8 and just wanted to say that Doug MacDonald had a very strong campaign, especially in North North. Signs everywhere and a lot of shoe leather on the pavement. I voted Jwatts but am not surprised by the amount of support he garnered.

My husband was pointing out that voter turnout in Jwatts' former area is really high compared to Halifax in general so it probably went in her favor.
Glad to hear my uncle did such a good job. I figured he would've made it to 3rd, but second for a first timer is very impressive. Same with Sam's run at McClusky - that's definitely nothing to sneeze at.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:10 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post

Give me a break. She hasn't voted in favour of ANY development... clear bias. The district shouldn't even be the way that it is, my childhood neighborhood is in no way "north end". Talk about the NIMBY vote. I didn't like Sloane, but she was the lesser of two evils.

I'm in favour of active transportation, but really??? She brings it up for things in the council meetings where it isn't even relevant.

I'm hoping that Savage keeps all the councillors in check, Kelly was a joke in that regard.

Let's see some height in this city... then maybe biking would be a more legitimate transportation prospect.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 11:13 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Congrats Waye on your win
Thank you. The big lesson, start early and knock on doors. Had lunch with Steve Craig and Matt Wittman today, Steve announced in December, I announced in February. You want to win, start early, work hard. I am truly frigging tired now.

Quote:
The Centre Plan?
Building heights downtown and elsewhere?
Heritage preservation downtown and elsewhere?
I am in favor of the Centre Plan and thing that view planes and such are not the impediment some make them out to be. It is about finding balance, my policy piece is here: http://www.wayemason.ca/development

We need to protect the neighbourhoods adjacent to Centre Plan development zones, as they are doing in other major cities: http://www.wayemason.ca/neighbourhood_planning

Quote:
The strength of downtown as an economic/cultural/entertainment/leisure district?
If we don't see re-investment in downtown, downtown will die. From streetscapes to formal entertainment districts to investing in arts and recreation funding and infrastructure, this is critical, or the core will stop being the amazing, tax generating place it currently is.

http://www.wayemason.ca/how_to_grow_a_city
http://www.wayemason.ca/hrm_arts_funding_in_crisis

Quote:
A new stadium and/or pro sports franchise?
I'd like to see an organized drive to get a pro sports franchise before we start spending money. As I wrote before on SSP if 15K fans put $500 each into a share offer and then ALSO buy seasons tickets for the notional first season, then CFL will pay attention, then govt will pay attention. It needs to start with fans, not government.

Quote:
LRT or other major transit projects?
Oh my, yes. LRT maybe, but at least HOV lanes and busways. Big ideas there. Very excited. http://www.wayemason.ca/transportation_vision

Quote:
Affordable housing?
http://www.wayemason.ca/affordable_housing

Quote:
Tax reform?
http://www.wayemason.ca/taxes

Quote:
Violent crime?
http://www.wayemason.ca/public_safety_and_crime_in_hrm

Quote:
Do you see Halifax as a place at risk of losing its small-town charm, or one that is reluctantly beginning to embrace its status as a major city again?
We are not large city, we are small to medium size city of significant regional importance. I think what makes us amazing is a lot more than being quaint, but I think we can make informed decisions about development and urban planning that allow density and development that enhances our community. Complete communities, walkable neighbourhoods, transit focused, low, medium and high rise density, all the buzz words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Improved transit, high density corridors, heritage preservation, and a can-do attitude can bring Halifax into he 21st century.
We agree on all these things, then.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 6:09 PM

Waye> Just read your development comments and we seem to be on some similar wave lengths in terms of the Kempt Road Area. I'd like to see the grid restored and that be a medium to high rise mixed use area as well.

In terms of protection of the existing housing stock; I'm on the fence not just with your ideas but with it in general. The housing stock in the regional centre is getting old, but was built with good quality. Some will want to repair and renovate, while others will want to demolish and replace. To simply say that a more modern designed home is not appropriate - I don't know if I agree.

I would hope that the regional centre plan wouldn't visit the issue of inner city homes the way Calgary does it, because it is frankly a bit of a beast. You can't do as of right-of-right redevelopment in the inner city of Calgary unless you meet a very strict envelope, but the design isn't reviewed. If you don't meet that envelope though, everything is in play and neighbours have the right to appeal.

One way that Edmonton does it is with overlays in their zoning bylaw. So you would start with the standard R-1 district and then certain area's have overlay zonings on top of it, which modify standards and add rules related to design. But I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on the housing stock. I don't think you are saying that more modern infills are inappropriate, right?

I think your entertainment district approach is right on. It will evolve over time and is happening now...but I'd like to see Downtown Dartmouth also be a part of major office developments too. Possibly even around Sunnyside, could be the 3 major office cores.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 9:53 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
In terms of protection of the existing housing stock; I'm on the fence not just with your ideas but with it in general. The housing stock in the regional centre is getting old, but was built with good quality. Some will want to repair and renovate, while others will want to demolish and replace. To simply say that a more modern designed home is not appropriate - I don't know if I agree. <snip> I don't think you are saying that more modern infills are inappropriate, right?
Oh no, modern is fine. Half the deep south end is 1950-80s modern, whatever modern was at that time. Lots of old homes on "estates" that got subdivided generation after generation, the construction, I learned while knocking on every door, is very mixed. Overall size, height, lot coverage, square footage are issue. Look again at the neighbourhood article, with the pictures. In one case the house that was torn down was classic brady bunch 1950s and replaced by a monster faux victorian. The neighbours would love to have the 1950s or even a 2010s home, just not 55 feet tall. My personal dislike of faux victorian almost matches my personal dislike for monster homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I think your entertainment district approach is right on. It will evolve over time and is happening now...but I'd like to see Downtown Dartmouth also be a part of major office developments too. Possibly even around Sunnyside, could be the 3 major office cores.
Dartmouth, Halifax, and maybe it is too late for Argyle, downtown. Hard to allow noise next to the suites hotel they built on Argyle... what a shame. That is going to be a very tough issue to negotiate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy