HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

One Burrard Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 10:40 AM
BANNED

anti-urbanists=the product of child abuse.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I agree. Isn't it the private sectors job to determine if there is a need for their services? What's next, the City paying for studies to see if more hair salons are needed in Kerrisdale?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 5:23 PM

Vancouver Needs You - High Building Policy - 2:00 pm January 20th.

No doubt there are many Anti-Urbanists signed up to speak against density in the downtown core.

Skyscrpaer pagers this is your time to shine. Send a letter to Mayor and Council or better yet let your voice be heard:

Should you wish to speak to Council on this issue on January 20, 2011, please contact Tina Hildebrandt at 604.873.7268 or by email at

tina.hildebrandt@vancouver.ca.

If you cant come then write your letter of support:

mayorandcouncil@vancouver.ca

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 6:40 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters View Post
No doubt there are many Anti-Urbanists signed up to speak against density in the downtown core.
Skyscrpaer pagers this is your time to shine. Send a letter to Mayor and Council or better yet let your voice be heard:
peters you sound like your terrified of the democratic process.
Don't worry, the City council has a vast majority 8 out of 11 votes, so everything is predetermined.
Kind of like the bike-lanes.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I agree. Isn't it the private sectors job to determine if there is a need for their services? What's next, the City paying for studies to see if more hair salons are needed in Kerrisdale?
No kidding. This stranglehold the city has over private enterprise needs to end. It's is a huge part of the reason California and many of its cities are in such a fiscal mess; you drive businesses out by covering them in red tape and demanding control over everything, and suddenly the tax revenue that funds your services is gone. Does that sound like something we need to emulate here?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
A study is not ridiculous. It is needed to know how big the store should be. If it is too big, it could put smaller stores a ways away out of business meaning people in that neighbourhood would not have a store they can walk too. The grocery business is competitive. A strategy has been to build large stores, have the prices artificially low, put other stores out of business then raise prices.
Raising barriers to entry in retail is really not a good way to deal with this, and store size has no relation to selling below cost.

If you're worried about anticompetitive behaviour, target that - don't target something unrelated like store size.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 9:02 PM

How is it possible Vancouver has people against density? And how come mayor greenbot can't just shrug them off like everyone else and tell them yahweh loves tall towers and it'll make us less likely to be underwater and drown like the increasing population of polar bears when the earth warms 1 degree. "Yeah, you'll wish your house was 200 feet taller when we're SUNKEN"

For once use the green for actual good An aesthetic skyline~

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
How is it possible Vancouver has people against density? And how come mayor greenbot can't just shrug them off like everyone else and tell them yahweh loves tall towers and it'll make us less likely to be underwater and drown like the increasing population of polar bears when the earth warms 1 degree. "Yeah, you'll wish your house was 200 feet taller when we're SUNKEN"

For once use the green for actual good An aesthetic skyline~
because they live in the past and they remember back to 1983 when they could stop and talk to anyone on the street and how wonderful and what a sophisticated village they lived in - they could see star wars return of the jedi and have sushi after skiing the slopes maybe squeezing in some thrift store shopping before those too went all corporate

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 6:26 AM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
because they live in the past and they remember back to 1983 when they could stop and talk to anyone on the street and how wonderful and what a sophisticated village they lived in - they could see star wars return of the jedi and have sushi after skiing the slopes maybe squeezing in some thrift store shopping before those too went all corporate
Wait. I know you're being facetious, but that sounds like a pretty amazing day.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexYVR View Post
Wait. I know you're being facetious, but that sounds like a pretty amazing day.
Go to an abandoned hotel in Whistler and hop in the hot tub. You'll be living your dream days in no time!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 2:23 AM

Burrard Gateway Revised......

March 01, 2011
Open House

NOTICE OF PROPOSED REZONING (revised) AND PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE
1252 to 1290 Burrard Street and 1229 to 1281 Hornby Street

Proposed Application (Revised): Reliance Properties Ltd. and Jim Pattison Developments Ltd. are revising the rezoning application for 1252 to 1290 Burrard Street and 1229 to 1281 Hornby Street from DD (Downtown District) to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District. The proposal is for a 3-storey automotive dealership, 13-storey office building and 2-storey retail building along Burrard Street, and two commercial and residential towers of 54 (revised from 48) and 36-storeys with a 7-storey commercial and residential podium along Hornby Street. The proposal also includes a number of public amenities and a potential full service grocery store (added). The rezoning would increase the floor space ratio (FSR) of 5.50 to 11.85 (revised from 11.21). A maximum height of +/- 535' for the 54-storey tower is proposed (revised from 473.7 measured to top of main roof parapet).

This revision is in part a response to new City Policy (Feb 1, 2011) allowing tall buildings at seven sites in the downtown core. The above mentioned site has been deemed suitable for a building of generally five hundred feet.

The council policy may be found at:
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/planning/capacitystudy/

Public Information Open House
Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011
Time: 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm
Place: Cascadia Hotel, 1234 Hornby Street, Cypress Room, 2nd floor

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters View Post
March 01, 2011
Open House

NOTICE OF PROPOSED REZONING (revised) AND PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE
1252 to 1290 Burrard Street and 1229 to 1281 Hornby Street

Proposed Application (Revised): Reliance Properties Ltd. and Jim Pattison Developments Ltd. are revising the rezoning application for 1252 to 1290 Burrard Street and 1229 to 1281 Hornby Street from DD (Downtown District) to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District. The proposal is for a 3-storey automotive dealership, 13-storey office building and 2-storey retail building along Burrard Street, and two commercial and residential towers of 54 (revised from 48) and 36-storeys with a 7-storey commercial and residential podium along Hornby Street. The proposal also includes a number of public amenities and a potential full service grocery store (added). The rezoning would increase the floor space ratio (FSR) of 5.50 to 11.85 (revised from 11.21). A maximum height of +/- 535' for the 54-storey tower is proposed (revised from 473.7 measured to top of main roof parapet).

This revision is in part a response to new City Policy (Feb 1, 2011) allowing tall buildings at seven sites in the downtown core. The above mentioned site has been deemed suitable for a building of generally five hundred feet.

The council policy may be found at:
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/planning/capacitystudy/

Public Information Open House
Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011
Time: 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm
Place: Cascadia Hotel, 1234 Hornby Street, Cypress Room, 2nd floor
Awesome. 535' would be amazing there. I hope the UDP holds the building up to a very high architectural standard.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 2:29 AM
+

Excellent news - but this project needs a complete redesign.

The current proposal leaves a vomit-esque taste in my mouth.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 2:33 AM

Great news, lovin the extra height for the location, should really pop if they can get the height... and for once I echo Hed's architectural criticisims of this thing, it is just too much of a hodge-podge disaster for me to like it at all.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 2:34 AM

Pretty soon we won't be able to see our office towers!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 3:06 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Look forward to seeing how the reworked plans look. Let me know when they are available for public consumption.

Is the possibility of a supermarket still on the table?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 3:16 AM

Grocery.....

"The proposal also includes a number of public amenities and a potential full service grocery store (added)."

This is subject to a Retail Capacity Study being conducted by the City of Vancouver and a willing Tenant.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 6:53 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

This project held an open house tonight at the Cascadia Hotel (sp).

The proposed changes bring the roofline height to 535" the parapet will extend it a touch. There would now be 619 residential units, 540 market units and 79 rental units. This has boosted the sqftage of the proposal to ~818K sqft (FSR 11.85). The proposal allows the potential for a full-service grocery store in the 15K-25K range (think midsized store). The city will need to complete a retail capacity study first though.

Personally I feel there is enough existing density and proposed density in the immediate area to justify it's existence, but we'll have to wait for the city to do its study.

The new presentation boards should be up on the projects website later this week, maybe sooner.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 6:54 AM
Website Manager

Great thanks for the news!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 7:14 AM

Wow, this will be massive. Thanks for the update!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver