HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 11:47 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

52 stories would be an absolute waste of this location.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 5:30 AM

The only hope would be that he was speaking imprecisely and meant 52 residential stories, which would be right around 65 stories when you add the parking floors. But that's not a common way of phrasing it, and this guy seems to be relatively careful as he speaks, so this is pretty unlikely. Unless with Manhattan developers it is customary to refer only to the main part of the building (which corresponds to the main aspect of this project; developing a parking garage into profitable real estate would be a no brainer in downtown Chicago).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 12:45 AM
THAT Guy

I'm not sure if this is the final design or not (by DeStefano and Partners).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 1:02 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I certainly hope not. It looks like two completely different designs slapped together rather haphazardly.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 3:56 AM

I agree. It does look odd with the two combined like that, but the upper part is pretty damn cool looking IMO. I doubt this is a final design, and I doubt the ability of the core to support a 30+ story cantilevered building above it. The original wasn't designed to do anything remotely like that. Reminds me of jenga when you only have one piece near the bottom supporting the top.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 4:18 AM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

I love it! It's different and interesting. Chicago can use something that shakes things up.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 5:15 AM
BANNED

If the whole building were clad like the top half, it would be quite nice. However, the completey different top and bottom halves slapped together look like crap.

Ultimately, however, this prominent location warranted an icon. Not some half-assed project by Related.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 1:59 PM
dream fast

Good luck with that sci-fi concept... straight out of Blade Runner or I, Robot, Chicago 2035. The upper portion has possibilities.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 4:29 PM

I actually kinda like it. The change is in a kinda natural place after the giant sky terrace. I think if the bottom portion of the tower was just a little less rounded it would work well.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 5:12 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

The top half isn't bad at all, but like many of you said it doesn't compliment the bottom much at all, if any. The cantilever isn't a bad idea, it just needs to be smaller and not as deep.

Any idea of the damage to the original however many floors that have been left exposed for so long?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 11:58 PM

Does the bottom half curtain wall look similar to the original building design?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 1:59 AM

It's interesting. Would definitely be eye-catching thats for sure. Some people will love it others will hate it. Not quite sure what I think of it yet. I like the top, I like the cantilever, I'm just not sure how it all flows. Definitely interesting though.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 2:46 AM

They haven't been exposed that long. At least not as long as the Ryugyong Hotel.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Jack View Post
Does the bottom half curtain wall look similar to the original building design?
New design:
Quote:

Old Waterview Tower design.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 4:01 AM

How can you not love the ambitious cantilever.

However, I think there is a rumor that DeStefano's firm is letting everybody go?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 4:28 AM

I don't know. The new design is a bit like the Eventi in NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eventi

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 5:04 AM

I both like and dislike elements of the new design. Unfortunately it is no longer a supertall.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 9:05 AM
Everywhere all at once

I think they made the best of a difficult situation. If they had designed the building to match the structure of the base with little to no variation, it would've been a mediocre tower at best. I was never a huge fan of the original design...elements of it looked dated already and it hadn't even been built yet. Its height was its biggest draw.

The new design is daring, yes, but now it will certainly be a futuristic, cutting-edge addition to the metropolis. I never believed that a building had to be crazy tall to be a great building, and this one has a great location, positioned right on the river, and it should be a stunner from the ground too, along a canyon of skyscrapers that's a REAL stunner.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 12:07 PM
BANNED

I don't know but that small base for the canotilever supporting the top looks agressivily dangerous. I am sure it would never be built unless it was pure and safe but to me from a distance looking at the renders it looks unstable.

I will miss the overall height but any action on this suspended tower will be an improvement over what it is right now.

I just wish they could have add or have added in their plan for a high end hotel [ ala a shashangri-la http://www.shangri-la.com/ which was the first choice or some other Asian top end equivalent of the Shangri-la should have a Chicago presence even if it is not at this site anymore. ] to the deal due to the fact that it was to handle one before the collapse and it has more than enough parking and dead space to handle such an accomidation.

Too bad for Tang for not timing the market at the right time. I do not blame them, when it was drawn up it was high times... I even looked at a partial hotel portion before that model collapsed in the area months before. That partial hotel concept never took off in the Chicago region and it is a big reason why Trump took a bath on his nice tower north of the river.

The best thing for this parking base is to be built into something... Right now I am not too picky but I would like something that will at least stand the test of time. Does this new renders do this...I do not know, I think the jury is still out on this one.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 8:00 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:

The bottom half says "I'm formal, professional and I eat 1400 calories a day." The top half says "Jenga!"

I actually like the two halves, but as a whole, I don't understand why there isn't a better transition between the two. That cantilever is similar to Goettsch Partners' (or was is Lohan Caprile Goesttsch at the time?) original idea for what eventually became 111 S. Wacker. I don't think it worked very well for that original schematic and I think it's a far less successful idea here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive