HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:22 PM

How come we don’t use more roundabouts here. I can’t see a reason for a 4 way stop in any suburb with just single lanes in each direction. Who decides these things the subdivision developer or the city?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
How come we don’t use more roundabouts here. I can’t see a reason for a 4 way stop in any suburb with just single lanes in each direction. Who decides these things the subdivision developer or the city?
Used to have lots of "traffic circles" here. They were removed in the early 90's because people, especially other Albertans, couldn't figure them out. Probably the most notable intersection that had the roundabout removed was 114 St/University Ave. I think that 114/76 Ave had one too. I notice that there a move afoot in recent years to use roundabouts in rural intersections.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:14 PM

For anyone who hasn't grown up driving in Alberta, particularly Edmonton, those traffic circles can be confusing as hell. The biggest one we wouldn't know to do is yield to traffic on the inside (left) lane of the circle.

https://amainsider.com/road-rules-re...s-roundabouts/

There are two lane roundabouts going up all over BC and Washington State. I think the general rule here is that you yield to all traffic in the circle, even if it's in the inside lane and you're going to the outside lane, to avoid the confusion of having to yield to traffic in the inside lane once in the roundabout. Anyone who wants to turn left is supposed to be in the left lane and anyone turning right should be in the right lane which appears to be the same as Alberta anyway according to the AMA link I've posted above.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:20 PM
Community Guy

They are incredibly simple to use, but people seem to never understand how to drive within them.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:25 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
For anyone who hasn't grown up driving in Alberta, particularly Edmonton, those traffic circles can be confusing as hell. The biggest one we wouldn't know to do is yield to traffic on the inside (left) lane of the circle.

https://amainsider.com/road-rules-re...s-roundabouts/

There are two lane roundabouts going up all over BC and Washington State. I think the general rule here is that you yield to all traffic in the circle, even if it's in the inside lane and you're going to the outside lane, to avoid the confusion of having to yield to traffic in the inside lane once in the roundabout. Anyone who wants to turn left is supposed to be in the left lane and anyone turning right should be in the right lane which appears to be the same as Alberta anyway according to the AMA link I've posted above.
I like the traffic circles, they move vehicles very efficiently. Unfortunately it seems that many drivers don't understand how they work. There are mis-applications though, I drive through Clearwater often and the new circle they put there right on the highway at the north edge of town confuses everybody because instead of following the standard rules of use, they've incorporated a bunch of directional arrows that direct people, and actually make it a lot more confusing.

Derp

I find the key to the traffic circle is to be a proficient signaller. A tardy signaller can cause the flow of the traffic circle to implode.
Problem I've noticed on Edmonton streets lately is that some drivers seem to think that the signal light in their vehicle either magically comes on when they want to switch lanes or just don't know what the appendage protruding from the steering wheel is for and therefore are afraid to use it. I blame millennials and their "I do what I want" M.O.

My favorite circle is to be no more, RIP Bonnie Doon traffic circle

My best Edmonton roundabout experience was seeing a car with Saskatchewan plates circling in the opposite direction to everyone else.

This city's done a disservice with getting rid of some traffic circles. The most baffling was along Groat Road at 118th. A former circle was replaced with a really awkward signalized quasi circle/intersection. If volume dictated lights, then they should have just gone full lighted intersection.

Loosing the circle north of Bonnie Doon mall is pending, and the redesign for that, with LRT involved, looks like a freaking mess.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:37 PM
HVAC guru

You can always tell when the Riders are in town or if it was CFR week (RIP)

I saw a truck blast straight through the middle of the circle at Bonnie Doon once. Not even an attempt to drive the circle, buddy just drove straight through the middle of it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:56 PM
Derp

There was an old tale I was once told that involved a bachelor party many years ago, a local traffic circle and the unfortunate bachelor left passed out and chained to a 5" 3-way valve in the middle of said traffic circle (on the grass, thankfully)

Those HVAC guys and their senses of humor...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 7:21 PM

The AMA description of how to signal is absolutely not how I remember being taught how to do it, and I don't believe it is actually correct.

Other than the fact that it is a four-way yield to anyone already inside the circle, it is in no way different than a four-way intersection. In a two-lane circle, you can only exit right in the right lane and left in the left lane, and straight in both lanes. And signalling is exactly just that.

If you are going straight through, you are not actually supposed to 'signal' into the circle and 'signal' back out of it. If you are turning left, you are not supposed to switch to a 'right signal' when you are trying to get out. You should never be signalling right in the inside lane! If people weren't so clueless they should know where you are exiting from having watched you in the circle.

five exit circles like bonnie doon are something elst though...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
This city's done a disservice with getting rid of some traffic circles. The most baffling was along Groat Road at 118th. A former circle was replaced with a really awkward signalized quasi circle/intersection. If volume dictated lights, then they should have just gone full lighted intersection.
I vaguely remember Groat Road and 118 Ave being a signalized traffic circle in the early 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
They are incredibly simple to use, but people seem to never understand how to drive within them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I like the traffic circles, they move vehicles very efficiently. Unfortunately it seems that many drivers don't understand how they work. There are mis-applications though, I drive through Clearwater often and the new circle they put there right on the highway at the north edge of town confuses everybody because instead of following the standard rules of use, they've incorporated a bunch of directional arrows that direct people, and actually make it a lot more confusing.
It does make sense now that I read it. I'm just scared of the others misusing it maybe. What if someone is in the inside lane to make a right at the first exit? Or I'm in the inside lane to make a left turn (3rd exit) and I'm T-boned by someone on the outside lane?

The Clearwater roundabout is a single lane roundabout for all intents and purposes, they just added left turn lanes on the inside coming off Hwy 5.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
There was an old tale I was once told that involved a bachelor party many years ago, a local traffic circle and the unfortunate bachelor left passed out and chained to a 5" 3-way valve in the middle of said traffic circle (on the grass, thankfully)

Those HVAC guys and their senses of humor...
As someone in the HVAC industry...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 7:42 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
It does make sense now that I read it. I'm just scared of the others misusing it maybe. What if someone is in the inside lane to make a right at the first exit? Or I'm in the inside lane to make a left turn (3rd exit) and I'm T-boned by someone on the outside lane?
There’s good reason to be scared. Both of those scenarios happen all the time.

I just follow my usual instinct to not trust anyone and assume that the guy next to me is going to cut me off. I always stay off people’s flank and shoulder check to my right when I exit even if I do have the right-of-way

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:01 PM
Derp

Quote:

I just follow my usual instinct to not trust anyone and assume that the guy next to me is going to cut me off. I always stay off people’s flank and shoulder check to my right when I exit even if I do have the right-of-way
My thoughts exactly

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:10 PM

I understand people’s difficulties with multi lane roundabouts (although if you can’t navigate one you shouldn’t have your license at all) but what about single lane on all directions like in most new suburbs. Those are dead simple and save time and gas.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:39 PM

I've loved watching Top Gear as they try to navigate double roundabouts. Those things must have been designed in a drunken state:

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/wp-c...roundabout.jpg

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:34 PM
HVAC guru

^ Good lord. If anyone as ever seen a race on a figure 8 track, I can see about the same result if they implemented something like that in Edmonton!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:

Definitely....Driving skills have gone to shit in the last 10 years. Trust no one on the road.

This coming from a guy who has been hit 7 times since 19 years old.

All in Edmonton!!! drunk drivers...Red light violations....stop signs violations.

Etc.....

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
My thoughts exactly
Agree as well. I am always amazed at the lack of situational awareness. I drive with the fighter pilot mentality, always scanning.

I have to say the driving skills have been reduced substantially since the government stop being the ones giving the drivers exams. The 2 licences I have were both pretty stringent at the time.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:35 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
I have to say the driving skills have been reduced substantially since the government stop being the ones giving the drivers exams. The 2 licences I have were both pretty stringent at the time.
Without saying too much, that exact issue is being looked at by Service Alberta right now. There are some major, sweeping changes that could be happening throughout registries and motor vehicles

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton