HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 6:24 PM

TRURO, NS:

Quote:
Province investing an additional $25 million to complete new Colchester Regional Hospital
The Truro Daily News

The province is investing an additional $25 million to complete the replacement of the Colchester Regional Hospital. The new hospital, which replaces a more than 40-year-old facility, will enhance efficiency, access and patient safety to improve health care for residents of Colchester East Hants.

"The province already invested more than $125 million in this project, the community needs the hospital, and the hospital must be completed," said Health Minister Maureen MacDonald. "At the same time, I am very concerned about how project costs have escalated.

"Our government is committed to living within our means. We will review the process that led to these cost overruns so future projects are delivered within budget."

The original project was approved at $104 million in 2005, but escalating costs and inflation led to an increased budget of $155 million during the design phase in 2007. Construction commenced in the fall of 2008 and increased costs were identified in the summer of 2009, after the release of a tender for mechanical and electrical systems. As a result of the cost over-runs, government is now contributing $154 million of the $180 million budget, or 85 per cent of the total costs. Hospital projects are expected to be cost-shared between the government and community, on a 75-25 per cent basis.

"This additional investment allows us to move ahead with issuing a tender for mechanical and electrical systems to complete the next stage of this project," said Peter MacKinnon, CEO, Colchester East Hants Health Authority. "We are grateful to the province for its continued commitment to this vital project and will continue to challenge our design and construction teams to find efficiencies as we move forward."

The mechanical and electrical tender represents the most significant portion of the construction budget. The requirement to revise and reissue tender documents became apparent last summer when tender bids came in over the set budget.

Once complete, the new hospital will improve quality and patient safety in many areas. Automation in pharmacy systems will reduce the chance of mistakes. Better-designed space will improve patient flow and increase space available for day services. Infection prevention and control will be improved through increased separation in emergency areas and patient rooms.

The Colchester Regional Hospital replacement is weather-tight and about 28 per cent complete. It is expected to open in 2012.

Source: Truro Daily News

TRURO, NS:

Quote:
Town council members feel old bowling alley has ‘huge potential’ as new library site
JASON MALLOY
The Truro Daily News

TRURO – A former bowling alley still appears to be an option for a new library facility in Truro.
“It has huge potential,” Mayor Bill Mills said Thursday.
Mills, deputy mayor Raymond Tynes, Coun. Brian Kinsman and chief administrative officer Jim Langille met with the building’s owner on Wednesday to get preliminary information about the former Lewis Hat Factory site at the corner of Prince and Court streets.
No decisions have been made, but council is expecting to be asked to send out requests for proposals for a new library facility as early as the March 1 meeting. The plan is to have the new facility meet the specifications and criteria set out in a 2007 consultant’s report.
While the hat factory site has not been selected, the idea generates some interest in the community.
“It would certainly enhance the area,” said Tynes, a Ward 1 councillor. “It would change that whole corner.”
Mills said if the hat factory site was selected it would also tie in with downtown revitalization efforts, which have been ongoing for the past few years.
The mayor said the town needs information from the RFPs to apply for federal funding. A program exists where the government would pay up to a quarter of the cost of a P3 project.
Another component of finding a new home for the library would be to remove the current facility along Prince Street and restoring the property in front of the Normal College. It has been a bone of contention for some around town since it opened in 1968 and making it a part of its promenade plan

MILLBROOK FIRST NATION, NS:

Quote:
Officials estimate waterpark could attract 500 visitors per day
The Truro Daily News

MILLBROOK – A 30,000-square foot indoor waterpark and a 100-room hotel will be a year-round attraction and make Millbrook a destination, project officials said Thursday.
Millbrook First Nations and Pacrim Hospitality Services Inc. jointly made an official announcement Thursday about the project stating they are in the “advanced planning stages.”
The cat had already been let out of the bag a week ago with the announcement of a training program where jobs would be created at the new park.
“Throughout the U.S. and in locations in Canada, indoor waterparks are family favourites and we have partnered with the expertise of U.S.-based Splash! Universe to plan the project,” said Pacrim chief executive officer Glenn Squires.
The waterpark could cost up to $30 million and attract an estimated 500 people per day. Pacrim was looking at two sites for the park, Millbrook or Moncton, where it owns the Holiday Inn.
“Millbrook, with the location on the highway and the population base, and with the ability to turn the power centre in to more of a destination ... we think it’s a great opportunity,” Squires said.
Work has already started on clearing the site south of the Convergys call centre. Official ground-breaking is expecting later this year and take 18 months to complete for the spring of 2012.
Millbrook and Pacrim are also partnering on a new 150-seat restaurant/retail facility for the former Bear and Bull restaurant.
Pacrim hopes to reach an agreement with Saltscapes magazine to license their name
for a chain of similar facilities across the region.
“We are confident that this project, featuring Atlantic Canada cuisine combined with retail opportunities heavily featuring local products and artifacts, will appeal to the tastes of both residents and visitors to the area,” Squires said.
Work on the restaurant project will begin next month and open in June.
Pacrim already operates the Super 8 Hotel at the Truro Power Centre.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 7:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

"The waterpark could cost up to $30 million and attract an estimated 500 people per day. Pacrim was looking at two sites for the park, Millbrook or Moncton, where it owns the Holiday Inn. "

The one that got away.......

I wonder which Holiday Inn in Moncton PacRim owns, there are two:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Magnetic Hill
- Holiday Inn Express Moncton Airport

I imagine that if they were thinking about a water park anywhere, it would have been at the Magnetic Hill one, but then it would be at least partially competing with Magic Mountain during the summer season.

Oh well, it'll be a nice addition for Truro.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 7:16 PM

I have to say Millbrook is becoming quite the power centre for Truro.

They already have a Super 8, multiple gas stations, fast food joints, 8-screen movie threatre and a few other things I'm sure since the last time I was through.

I imagine the decision was influenced greatly by the proximity to Halifax and also the fact being the hub of Nova Scotia Truro has the ability to attract hundreds of thousands of people living only a couple of hours away. Including Truro CMA itself three of the five largest population centres in Nova Scotia are within an hours drive with Amherst's (not in the top five) roughly 10'000 inhaibtants slightly further away.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Feb 21, 2010 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 7:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm just happy to see the entire Saint John-Moncton-Halifax corridor prospering. It's good for the entire region.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I'm just happy to see the entire Saint John-Moncton-Halifax corridor prospering. It's good for the entire region.
Same here.

With talk here in HRM about a dayliner system stretching up the corridor to Elmsdale I expect more growth will be coming along in the next decade. If the service is ever implemented I imagine extension to Truro would come along shortly thereafter.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 8:29 PM

WATT SECTION (SHEET HARBOUR), NS:

Quote:
Nova Scotia Power signs 20-year power deal with Watts Wind Energy

By THE CANADIAN PRESS
Mon. Feb 22 - 2:42 PM
A 20-year power purchase agreement has been signed between Nova Scotia Power and Watts Wind Energy Inc.

Under the deal, a 1.5-megawatt wind turbine will be installed at Watt Section, about 120 kilometres east of Halifax.

Watts says it's been measuring wind data at the site since October 2008 and plans to implement the project this year.

The company says it intends to own the entire project, but isn't ruling out selling it or partnering with another company, among other options.

The project will be partially financed with a mix of secured debt and equity capital.

Watts is a joint venture between Halifax-based Seaforth Engineering and Eon WindElectric, a Canadian wind farm installation and servicing firm with offices in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador.

Nova Scotia Power is a wholly owned subsidiary of Emera Inc.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 9:01 PM
ハルウララ

Decided I would throw this into the Rural Thread.

I heard some people recently propose that Moncton, Fredericton and Saint John should not have their own individual airports, and that they should all share one rather large regional airport.

This regional airport, as proposed, would be placed in Sussex or wherever easiest to put it in that essential area. The argument was that everything would be centralized between the three main cities without having the cities operating independent airports.

Thoughts on a Regional Airport in Sussex v. Three Individual Airports in Saint John, Fredericton and Moncton?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 9:17 PM

I like the idea and everything, it would definitely serve the most area and people in the Atlantic area unless halifax is still more.
but what about people that dont have cars?
i know in halifax its way out there and not alot of people can get out there or have to spend alot of money for a taxi. A bus is being set up but i dont know how that would work in new bruinswick.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 10:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It would be mutually inconvenient to the residents of all three cities and would deprive each city of an important economic generator.

I am not convinced that either air connections or choice of destinations would be much better with a single regional facility.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 2:04 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Decided I would throw this into the Rural Thread.

I heard some people recently propose that Moncton, Fredericton and Saint John should not have their own individual airports, and that they should all share one rather large regional airport.

This regional airport, as proposed, would be placed in Sussex or wherever easiest to put it in that essential area. The argument was that everything would be centralized between the three main cities without having the cities operating independent airports.

Thoughts on a Regional Airport in Sussex v. Three Individual Airports in Saint John, Fredericton and Moncton?
Logically, it makes perfect sense.

It will never, ever happen.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 8:33 PM

POINT TUPPER, NS:

Quote:
Nova Scotia Power looks to invest $27.8m in C.B. wind farm

By THE CANADIAN PRESS
Tue. Feb 23 - 3:14 PM
Nova Scotia Power is seeking approval for a $27.8-million investment in a wind farm planned for the Strait area in Cape Breton.

The utility, a subsidiary of Emera Inc. (TSX:EMA), has applied to the province's Utility and Review Board for approval to partner with Renewable Energy Services Ltd.

Last February, Nova Scotia Power signed a contract with the company to buy energy from a 22-megawatt wind farm to be built at Point Tupper.

Renewable Energy Services will build and operate the wind farm while Nova Scotia Power will buy 49 per cent of the project.

The wind farm, which is scheduled to come online this year, will produce enough energy to serve about 6,000 homes in Nova Scotia.

Renewable Energy Services owns and operates turbines across the province in a number of communities and has two wind farms in development in Alberta.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 1:40 PM

Hope for the future

South Korean company confirms it has its eye on former TrentonWorks plant

TRENTON – A South Korean manufacturing giant is on the verge of resurrecting the mothballed TrentonWorks plant.
Anna Sawinska, business development manager for Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering Co. Ltd., confirmed in an interview with The Canadian Press that the company plans to build components for wind turbines at the seven-hectare factory in Trenton.
Sawinska says talks are continuing with federal government officials and a final deal has not yet been signed.
But she says plans are being made to release details in Nova Scotia on March 5.
It would be “like manna from heaven” if the rumours of the sale is true, says Faus Johnson, executive director of the Pictou County Chamber of Commerce.
“From a chamber perspective, we’re cautiously optimistic that something is happening – we know that things are in the works,” Johnson said Wednesday. “I don’t think that even our local MLAs are tuned in to what’s happening – the chamber met with them recently – I think they’re keeping it close to their chests until all the I’s are dotted and the T’s are crossed, which is not uncommon when you’re dealing with business.”
As recently as Monday, Central Nova MP Peter MacKay has hinted that a deal was close to complete for the former railcar plant. All three levels of government have been working to find a buyer for the plant since parent company Oregon-based Greenbrier announced its closure in April 2007.
But Trenton Mayor Glen MacKinnon says he hasn’t heard that anything has been finalized yet.
“It’s great news if it’s true,” MacKinnon said Wednesday afternoon. “I’m extremely hopeful it is true and things will continue to move forward.”
Rumours have been circulating for quite some time that a Korean-based company would be purchasing the plant. Those rumours came to a fever pitch this week.
“I’ve heard all the rumours, although I’ve not heard any official word. You guys know what Peter (MacKay) said in his speech. We’re depending on the company who is buying the plant, on their timeline – but we’re expecting something soon. The date may change, because the company involved is coming from Korea.”
Earlier that day, in an interview with The News, MacKinnon had speculated on what reopening the TrentonWorks plant would mean to the town.
“What it means more than anything else is life. It’s traffic through the town. It’s young people who can take a course and then build their home and live in the town for years to come. That’s huge – people coming back to live and work and keep our schools going. It means an insurgence of life back into Trenton,” MacKinnon said.
Three sources with knowledge of the announcement say it could ultimately mean hundreds of jobs at the former railcar plant. One source said the plant could manufacture rotor blades and support stands for wind turbines.
“I think we’re closer than we’ve ever been to having that plant re-open,” MacKinnon added.
Sawinska said Daewoo was aware of the impact a potential deal would have in Pictou County.
“We want to contribute to the development of the region, we are looking forward to that,” she said from Seoul.

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2010...r-the-future/1

from "the news" new glasgow

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 6:26 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Feb 24, 2010 Cape Breton Post

http://www.capebretonpost.com/index....=329320&sc=145

Quote:
Province to spend money to protect Canso Causeway

NANCY KING
The Cape Breton Post

PORT HAWKESBURY — The Department of Transportation will spend $590,000 to build up the armour rock protecting both sides of the Canso Causeway, a spokesperson says.

Patricia Jreige said the department performed a survey and analysis a few years ago of the armour rock of the causeway linking Cape Breton and mainland Nova Scotia, which was constructed in 1955, that “identified that the causeway would benefit from some added armour, in various locations.”

A tender for the work has been awarded and it will begin in the spring — an exact start date was not available — and is to be completed in the summer.

http://www.capebretonpost.com/index....=329325&sc=152

Quote:
Strait Area Transit continuing to expand into new territory

BY NANCY KING
The Cape Breton Post

PORT HAWKESBURY — The Strait Area Transit Co-op is continuing to expand its service into new areas.

The body’s board recently voted in favour of expanding the service into the First Nation community of Chapel Island. General manager Malcolm Beaton noted the service is working to arrange a meeting with band officials.

The expanded story also mentions expansion into Petit de Gras adding a second stop on Isle Madame (with Arichat being the other). It also mentions imminent potential for adding another bus and more vans to the service.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 6:51 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Feb 27, 2010 Cape Breton Post

http://www.capebretonpost.com/index....=330069&sc=152

Quote:
Bras d’Or Lake group seeks provincial support for biosphere reserve

BY NANCY KING
The Cape Breton Post

SYDNEY — The group behind the effort to designate the Bras d’Or Lake and its surrounding watershed a biosphere reserve has made its pitch to the three provincial cabinet ministers whose support is needed to go ahead with the initiative.

Nine members of the board of Bras d’Or Lake Biosphere Reserve Association met Tuesday with Environment Minister Sterling Belliveau, Natural Resources Minister John MacDonnell, and Percy Paris, Minister of Economic and Rural Development, and senior department officials. The ministers all have some jurisdiction over the lands involved. Their endorsements are required to move the proposal forward to United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 5:54 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

March 4, 2010 Cape Breton Post

http://www.capebretonpost.com/index....=330938&sc=152

Quote:
Strait area municipal politicians give thumbs-up to proposed biomass facility

BY NANCY KING
The Cape Breton Post

POINT TUPPER — Municipal leaders in the Strait area are endorsing a proposed biomass-fuelled generating facility at the NewPage Point Tupper paper mill.

The Strait area mayors and wardens announced Wednesday their support of the use of biomass as a renewable energy source to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, support jobs and increase renewable energy.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 1:44 PM

http://www.amherstdaily.com/News/Loc...t-of-Amherst/1

Best thing Ive seen for Amherst so far. Oh i'd like to just let you all know ive made it on to the first Youth Advisory Council in Amherst... I also designed the logo for it. Amherst sure is going in the right direction.. great visions, a skatepark, apparently Walmart is becoming a Super Center, McDonalds is apparently adding a playplace and renovating, a new entrance sign is here by the Mall, and im sure the Town Council along with mine will have even more ideas.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 8:26 PM

TrentonWorks Sold

TRENTON, NS:

Quote:
N.S. to spend $60m on bid to revive TrentonWorks
Province partners with Daewoo in wind turbine operation
By THE CANADIAN PRESS and MARY ELLEN MacINTYRE Truro Bureau | UPDATED
Fri. Mar 5 - 12:06 PM

TRENTON — The Nova Scotia government is investing $60 million in a defunct railcar plant that will now manufacture components for wind turbines.
Premier Darrell Dexter announced today in Trenton that the province will have a 49 per cent equity stake in a new operation to be run by South Korean manufacturing giant Daewoo.

The $90-million deal will put the mothballed TrentonWorks railcar plant back in operation after sitting idle for three years while officials sought a buyer.

Dexter says the deal will create 120 jobs in the first year and up to 500 in the long term.

The deal includes $60 million from the province, $20 million from Daewoo and $10 million from Ottawa.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay called it a gold medal day in Pictou County.

“This company has huge potential because they have great diversity,” he said.

MacKay said the jobs created in the former railcar plant will mean area residents have renewed hope in their future and it will also mean displaced people who were forced to move away for jobs three years ago can come back home.

Meanwhile, DSME Trenton Inc. signed a memorandum of understanding with Nova Scotia Power today that could also bode well for future development of tidal power and offshore wind power energy in the province.

“The MOU means we will work together to explore opportunities,” said Rob Bennett, head of NSP.

“We see the potential for hundreds of tidal turbines in the Bay of Fundy.”

With a world player like DSME as a neighbour and the company's manufacturing expertise, Bennett said the potential is big.

TrentonWorks was closed in April 2007 after Oregon-based Greenbrier decided it was no longer financially viable.

(mmacintyre@herald.ca)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
http://www.amherstdaily.com/News/Loc...t-of-Amherst/1

Best thing Ive seen for Amherst so far. Oh i'd like to just let you all know ive made it on to the first Youth Advisory Council in Amherst... I also designed the logo for it. Amherst sure is going in the right direction.. great visions, a skatepark, apparently Walmart is becoming a Super Center, McDonalds is apparently adding a playplace and renovating, a new entrance sign is here by the Mall, and im sure the Town Council along with mine will have even more ideas.
Those look like some excellent ideas. The company has done some excellent design work around Halifax before.

Really if any town in the Maritimes should grow into a thriving business hub it should be Amherst. Sorry Moncton but Amherst is truly the Hub of the Maritimes and its gorgeous location has great potential for attracting people.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 9:17 PM

i was just about to post the trenton works news but you beat me to it haha oh well, this is great news for all of pictou county

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 4:49 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

For all of the Maritimes!

Spin off jobs from suppliers will be created all through the region. Not to mention it couples well with the solar cell factory being built in the Miramichi. Hopefully we're witnessing the rise of a cluster of manufacturing and development companies in an industry just in its infancy. Clusters make an entire region more attractive to companies because of related businesses, and more enticing for skilled labour because of a diverse job market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces