HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 21, 2006, 6:03 PM
Baltimore

What exactly are those sessions.... just speakers talking about the listed topics for an hour?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2006, 7:23 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

yes, I guess so. On different days of course. Oct. 25th date sounds good to me.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 7:38 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Did redevelopment plan survive the fire?
A fire that damaged 17 rowhouses in North Baltimore this week could frustrate a Washington company’s plan to develop hundreds of homes in the neighborhood as part of a city revitalization project.

- JEN DEGREGORIO

Old Posted Aug 26, 2006, 6:14 PM

I know there hasnt been any recent development news but the SSC site has been down for like two or three days. What's up with that?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2006, 9:39 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

I'm not sure. It working now though.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2006, 8:42 PM
Baltimore

It looks like the Ritz-Carlton is going on the 3rd or 4th floor. That is what's being built right next to the Rusty Scupper, right? can anyone confirm? Also.. is that Ritz-Carlton just going to be a hotel, or is it hotel AND residences?

....btw.... 414 Water is really getting into the sky now

Old Posted Aug 30, 2006, 11:59 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

That is the Ritz being built there. It will NOT be a hotel at all. Just condos.
btw, I'd love to see some more recent pix of 414 Water Street.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 8:35 PM
Baltimore

Well, I work downtown now and can actually see 414 Water St. from my desk out the window. If it was still short I wouldn't be able to see it at all, but I can see the top 8 or 9 floors of it from my view. It isn't topped out yet is it? Maybe it's getting close. Well, I don't have a digital cam to take pics and put them on here. If I did, I would have to figure out how to get them on here. So I wish I could help you there, but one of the other Baltimorians should be able to get some nice pics up.

I would if I could!!!!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 1:07 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

well, yeah, that's ok.
Someone will get some shots soon, eventually.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2006, 12:47 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

HarborView wins height fight

Housing official says 58-foot rule not violated, despite neighborhood protests
By Jill Rosen
sun reporter
Originally published September 3, 2006
In a blow to a coalition of Baltimore community leaders who say penthouses atop the Pier Homes at HarborView violate height limits and should come down, a city housing officer has affirmed her department's decision to allow the developer to continue building rooftop structures at the luxury waterfront project.

Although neighborhood groups argued at an Aug. 4 hearing that the penthouses - with stairways, elevators and sinks - are more like living space than shelter for mechanical equipment and are in violation of the city's 58-foot height limit, hearing officer Jan Goslee declared the rooftop structures in compliance.

"I ... find that the City's approval of the ... permits to allow rooftop structures or penthouses that are higher than 58 feet is consistent with the provisions of the Key Highway Urban Renewal Plan and not arbitrary," Goslee wrote in a 25-page opinion released late Friday.

HarborView developer Richard A. Swirnow applauded the decision yesterday.

"We are gratified that the Baltimore Housing Authority has upheld what we have always known: That we have never violated any law governing the development of HarborView," Swirnow said in a statement released through RedZone, a crisis-management public relations firm. "And we have never built anything other than what has been specifically reviewed and approved."

But Paul W. Robinson, president of the Friends of Federal Hill Park, one of the association's challenging HarborView, said yesterday the decision disturbingly demonstrates how the city's land-use laws are open to convenient interpretation.

"I'm having a hard time getting my head around how terms like '58 feet' are ambiguous enough to require interpretation," he said. "Something's broken here.

"City Council has to really step up to the plate and acknowledge that one unelected official has the power to essentially void some pretty clear restrictions on height and view corridors."

Robinson said he and his co-appellants will now decide whether to appeal the decision to city Circuit Court.

The clash between HarborView and the community, brewing for some time, escalated in June when the city's housing commissioner issued a stop-work order on the Pier Homes because the penthouses put them about 4 feet over the 58-foot limit.

The South Baltimore area's urban renewal plan exempts rooftop structures from height constraints, but only those that house mechanical equipment. Swirnow has been advertising penthouses with wet bars.

For more than a year before the stop-work order, as the developer continued building the 88-townhouse development, Robinson and other Federal Hill activists tried fruitlessly to get city planning and housing officials and Mayor Martin O'Malley to address the problem.

Even as Swirnow defied the stop-work order and an ensuing cease-and-desist order, officials forced him to shrink the penthouses, get rid of the wet bars and pay $10,000 for new permits to reflect the changes. They allowed him, however, to continue installing elevators, staircases and small sinks.

Believing elevators and sinks were as illegal as the wet bars, the activists appealed - prompting last month's hearing, which filled a city hearing room and lasted nearly 10 hours.

They hoped they could stop Swirnow from building more penthouses and force him to remove ones he had already built.

But Goslee decided that the city's building and zoning codes, which allow elevators and stairs, trump the urban renewal plan.

"I'm disappointed," John Murphy, the community group's attorney, said yesterday. "We thought the ordinance was clear. And we don't think [rules] should just be 'interpreted' away."

City Councilman Edward L. Reisinger, who represents South Baltimore, said yesterday that he will draft legislation to give the council, rather than housing or planning officials, authority on certain kinds of land-use appeals.

"I think planning was in error here. I think [housing] was in error. And I think the decision made by the hearing officer was incorrect," Reisinger said. "We're leaving issues of design and height and location to bureaucracy."

Swirnow said the penthouses "enhance and complete the beautiful architecture."

"Now it is time for the small group of naysayers to join with us and all of our neighbors and continue to make our community - and our City - as great as we all know it can be," the developer said in his statement.

Robinson said he found Swirnow's assessment of the situation "offensive."

"This is not about a small group of naysayers. This is about a very large group of concerned citizens," he said. "He can blow smoke and call people naysayers, but ... we won't be letting him off the hook."

jill.rosen@baltsun.com

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 3:17 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

ARCWheeler to acquire ground for 10 Inner Harbor project on September 15

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 9:20 PM
Baltimore

I saw that!! That is exciting. I will try to contact them soon to ask them about the updated building design!!!! Go 10IH!!!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 9:51 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

In the mean time:

BIG NEWS!!!

Washington developer shifts focus to Baltimore

Barnaby Wickham, The Examiner
Sep 6, 2006 5:00 AM (12 hrs ago)
Current rank: # 78 of 5,666 articles

BALTIMORE - One of Baltimore’s most active developers is new to the city but not to the game. Richard Naing and his 10-employee RWN Development Group LLC spent more than a quarter-century investing in commercial real estate projects in Washington.

Today, he won’t touch the District. It’s too expensive, he says. Instead, the 55-year-old CEO commutes daily from his Potomac residence to his office on North Calvert Street to invest in storied Baltimore city properties. He bought 15 in the past three years.

He says his mission is to buy a distressed downtown property, upgrade it to its “highest and best use,” then sell it or lease it. For example, he bought the Equitable Building on Calvert Street at 70 percent occupancy. He upgraded what he characterized as Class B- office space to Class B+. Today, the property is at 98 percent occupancy.

More often than not, the upgrade includes a conversion to residential.

Naing’s bullishness on Baltimore is not misplaced, Baltimore economist Anirban Basu says.

“Baltimore’s development future is awfully bright because the city effectively serves two markets,” he said. “It serves as the center of its own region, which is increasingly the choice of young residents. The second function is as a suburb of the Washington metropolitan area.”

On his properties, Naing said he expects “a minimum of 30 percent return on investment. The cost of money is 8, 9 or 10 percent. You’re left with 20 percent and you have to carry your overhead.”

“Real estate is a risky business. If you want 4 percent money, you buy bonds,” he said.

Naing is more than just a renovator. Despite what many in the industry, including Naing, see as a softening in the rental and condominium market, he is pushing forward with ambitious plans to build not just the tallest building in Baltimore, but the two tallest.

He imagines the 60-story residential twin towers north of City Hall will be signature properties that will serve as the “gateway” to Baltimore from Interstate 83. Tentatively scheduled for a 2008 groundbreaking, Naing is preparing for a national competition that will yield a “premier architect” for the $500 million project.

Baltimore’s Department of Planning supports of the project, but emphasizes that it’s still early.

“Out of every 10 projects we see, maybe only one gets built,” said Gary Cole, division chief of Land Use and Urban Design.
---------------------------------

This is AWESOME NEWS!!!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2006, 7:27 PM
Baltimore

This is really great news!!!!

I'm counting 5 new tallest buildings for our city. Seems Naing may be the last, and if he is , his 2 buildings will have to be taller than 10IH, 300 EPratt, and the Westport if he really wants them to be the 2 tallest!!!! This is awesome!

...btw... I sent a message to ARC Wheeler... if I don't hear from them by mid next week I will try to call them or email them directly.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2006, 9:22 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

sounds good.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 9:13 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

"Condo boom drawing new residents"

Kelly Carson, The Examiner
Sep 11, 2006 5:00 AM (11 hrs ago)
Current rank: # 22 of 6,643 articles

BALTIMORE - The condominium market in Baltimore’s central business district is exploding, with hundreds of units either on the market, under construction or in the planning stage.

It’s a double-edged sword, however, bringing in more affluent residents while pushing middle and lower income residents out to the fringes.

John Hopkins, associate director of applied economics at RESI, the economic consulting organization at Towson University, said high-end condos are in demand by “empty-nesters and professional couples who want the urban atmosphere without the hassles of a yard and daily upkeep.”

The trend is driving redevelopment efforts throughout the area, as evidenced by an announcement last week that the last undeveloped parcel along the Inner Harbor, 300 E. Pratt St., will be transformed into a 52-story mixed-use development, featuring 300 condos, a five-star hotel, restaurant and shopping complex by Baltimore-based Doracon LLC and New York-based UrbanAmerica LP, a private equity firm.

According to multiple-listing-services resale data compiled by Metropolitan Regional Information Systems Inc., 244 condos were offered for sale in January 2006 in Baltimore’s downtown district. Prices ranged from less than $100,000 to $5 million, with the largest offering — 29 — in the $250,000-$299,000 price range. Twenty-eight condos were sold during that period.

In June 2006, the latest month for which data is available, the total number of condos offered for sale in the less than $100,000 to $5 million range stood at 348, with 41 units available in the $250,000-$299,999 range, according to the data. Seventy-eight condos sold in June.

“The impact on existing housing is positive because it’s bringing prices up,” Hopkins said. “As the condos attract a vibrant population back into downtown, it acts as an attractor for like people.”

But there is a downside.

“What at one time was affordable is rehabbed into high-end housing or is being demolished and redeveloped into high-end property. There needs to be an incentive to develop affordable and work-force housing,” Hopkins said.

Middle-income people are beginning to look in neighborhoods just outside the city, or straddling the city-county border, said Realtor Bernadette May of EXIT Spivey Professional Realty.

“A lot of first-time buyers who are not able to buy a $200,000 or $300,000 home are going into areas where the development is going to occur,” May said. “Redevelopment may even be in the process now, but my clients are still able to find decent housing.”

Hopkins said that neighborhoods outside of the central business district are ripe for middle-income development.

“It’s a risk for people because housing is often their primary investment,” he said. “They can buy at a lower price, but they are betting the neighborhood will slowly improve around them. It’s an encroachment on a way of life — forcing out the negative factors — that leads to an area slowly redeveloping. Pending a good economy, everybody benefits.”

kcarson@baltimoreexaminer.com

and...

http://www.doracon.com/site/contact.htm

http://www.urbanamerica.com/pdf/300pratt.pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
UrbanAmerica and Doracon Acquire Prestigious Site on Baltimore’s Coveted Waterfront!
NEW YORK, NY Aug. 8, 2006 – UrbanAmerica, a national real estate private equity firm, and Doracon, a Baltimore-based developer, are pleased to announce the acquisition of what many consider the most coveted undeveloped property remaining on Baltimore’s expanding waterfront. The acquisition marks the first step toward completion of a $250 million dollar mixed-use project anticipated to become the city’s signature landmark property.
Richmond McCoy, President and CEO of UrbanAmerica expressed, “I am very pleased to announce this joint venture acquisition and to work with Ron Lipscomb, Owner & President of Doracon. We are excited to participate in Baltimore’s renaissance. Our partnership is committed to bringing the highest quality of mixed-use development to Baltimore.”
The property is located at 300 East Pratt Street. And as planned, it will change the skyline in the Inner Harbor Community. The mixed-use project’s many offerings will include retail, hi-rise residential market-rate condominiums, a luxury hotel and structured parking. It consists of over 1 million sq. ft. of prime inner harbor direct water views, and is situated on the last downtown core premier parcel of land in the City of Baltimore. A high-end full service hotel is likely to boost appeal of the residential condominiums by offering shared amenities, including a concierge, room service, swimming pools and spa services. The partnership is in discussion with several hotel investors that can meet the needs of this proposed plan of the pedestrian-friendly Inner Harbor Community.
Baltimore Mayor Martin O’Malley and co-developer Ronald Lipscomb are both pleased with the promise the project holds and what it means for Baltimore.
“This is an extremely important development for Baltimore on many levels,” said Mayor O’Malley. “Beyond the scale of this landmark project and what it says about the steady progression of our economic expansion, it is a powerful statement about the growth and potential for minority business here in our city. It also says a great deal about Ronald Lipscomb in particular. He is a man of vision, talent and commitment to the greater good. The citizens of Baltimore are very proud and appreciative of what he is accomplishing through this exciting project with our new friends at UrbanAmerica.”
Ronald Lipscomb went on to say, “We are confident that the Pratt Street project will be a major addition to the growing inventory of special projects here in Baltimore. We recognize that we are
very fortunate to have acquired this site and intend to erect a structure that becomes synonymous with the very best Baltimore has to offer. I look forward to doing more development with UrbanAmerica. They appreciate the value of revitalization of our urban centers and have the courage, experience and insight to make their investments successful.”
UrbanAmerica is a national real estate private equity firm with $500 million under management and a $5 billion pipeline of for-sale residential, retail and office opportunities. A minority-controlled registered investment advisor founded in 1998, the Company established an urban investment niche targeting properties in healthcare, government and academic spheres, along with mixed use residential condominiums and retail markets. Currently, it owns and operates a portfolio of properties representing 3.6 million sq. ft. including a large portfolio in the DC Metro area.
Doracon, LLC is a Maryland-based development company with a growing portfolio of residential, commercial and mixed use projects. With over 20 years in the construction business, Doracon is currently involved in a number of waterfront and other high profile projects in Baltimore and other cities throughout the United States.
This press release may contain certain forward-looking information with respect to the results of operations and business of the UrbanAmerica, LP. The words “estimate,” “believe,” “project,” “forecast,” “intend,” “expect” and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those contemplated in such forward-looking statements. For a discussion of some of these risks and uncertainties, see the factors identified under the heading "INVESTMENT CONSIDERATIONS AND RISK FACTORS" in UrbanAmerica's Private Placement.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2006, 5:48 PM
Baltimore

I have not heard anything from Arc Wheeler. But I'd assume a rendering should come out soon since they are getting the land tomorrow.

That is exciting!!! tomorrow they will own the land that 10IH will be built!!!!

on a side note..... sdeclue, have you got any recent updates or construction pics? Let me know. Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2006, 10:34 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55
I have not heard anything from Arc Wheeler. But I'd assume a rendering should come out soon since they are getting the land tomorrow.

That is exciting!!! tomorrow they will own the land that 10IH will be built!!!!

on a side note..... sdeclue, have you got any recent updates or construction pics? Let me know. Thanks.

Yes, I'm anticipating the news greatly.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2006, 7:45 PM
Baltimore

The site now says. "ARCWheeler acquires land for 10 inner harbor project"

The land is now theirs!!!!

Now lets see a rendering!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2006, 8:39 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Yes, I'm very curious too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations