HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 9:40 PM
I am the law!

The TTC spent like $100 million for a one to two kilometre section of dual streetcar track connecting the streetcar system to a new half billion dollar streetcar storage and maintenance facility. This looks like a bargain and I don't get the point of the ring building.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The TTC spent like $100 million for a one to two kilometre section of dual streetcar track connecting the streetcar system to a new half billion dollar streetcar storage and maintenance facility. This looks like a bargain and I don't get the point of the ring building.

Ya that's because the contractor fucked up and poured the concrete at the wrong height and the new streetcars clearance was too low for it. That was pretty pathetic.That with the new streetcar barn came it in 50% over budget. That seems to be the way things go with publicly funded projects across this country. And they spend 105 million on that stretch of Leslie when all was said and done.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Mr John's sole contribution to this thread: bashing Montreal any way he can think of.
Please point the out the errors in my comments, if I really wanted to bash Montreal I would mention the city's 3rd world roads, crumbling infrastructure, rising number of homeless, disgusting graffiti everywhere (and I mean everywhere) rising property taxes, awful public transit (unless you live in the plateau the center of the universe) the lowest productivity of any major city in North America ,did I forget anything? Oh yeah how about having one the stupidest incompetent mayor's in Canada miss 20-20-20 ,how's that genius idea working out? ....but i didn't did I .

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 12:38 AM
I am the law!

incompetence or populist politicians
deferred maintenance
homelessness
broken transit
higher taxes with fewer benefits
stagnating per capita GDP

a list that is applicable to just about anywhere in Canada and many parts of the US.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 1:07 AM

I've noticed the quality of graffiti has gone down while the amount has gone up. This next Gen of taggers have gotten lazy. I'm just glad the idiot I'm my hood seems to have gone away. ACAB and CPR RCP everywhere. If people love communism so much there are several countries they can move to.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
Please point the out the errors in my comments, if I really wanted to bash Montreal I would mention the city's 3rd world roads, crumbling infrastructure, rising number of homeless, disgusting graffiti everywhere (and I mean everywhere) rising property taxes, awful public transit (unless you live in the plateau the center of the universe) the lowest productivity of any major city in North America ,did I forget anything? Oh yeah how about having one the stupidest incompetent mayor's in Canada miss 20-20-20 ,how's that genius idea working out? ....but i didn't did I .
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
incompetence or populist politicians
deferred maintenance
homelessness
broken transit
higher taxes with fewer benefits
stagnating per capita GDP

a list that is applicable to just about anywhere in Canada and many parts of the US.
Similar symptoms across the whole western world. Same ideology for many decades, possibly a hundred years or more. It is worst than being subject to tyrannical edicts like dump cattle. At least in an open (acknowledged) tyranny you know you are in one. This is an inversion of reality.

In the future, expect:

- Being taxed to death. It not only steals half or more of what you produce, it does so for what you consume as well, tilting the whole price structure.

- The current financial/monetary/entitlement systems are a ponzi scheme. All incoming immigrants will also need a larger cohort of suckers under them. The fertility crisis is a cultural issue. Good luck going against that lol. See prediction 3.

- Having your genetic and cultural heritage in the country being diluted to nothing. No foundational pillars to sustain it all. Instead a post national economic zone with international ''citizens'' (producer/consumer cattle).

- Controlled, censored, and propagandized internet and other media forms (it was already de case for the latter).

- Forced (preventive (lol!)) medical interventions. What if they declare a mental health crisis and you are forced to take meds for your mental health? We don't want loose canons in oUr dEMOcratTy after all.

- More renting and subscription services, less ownership.

- Never ending climate crisis with progressing restrictions on everything.

- Obsession with IDENTITY. What a visionary Mao was.

- The state supplementing parental rights.

- Clowns, MANY MANY CLOWNS!

Last edited by Robertpuant; Nov 18, 2023 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 2:25 AM

You nailed it! 👏

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 7:26 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
So much hate and resentments. Must be hell to live in your head.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 7:13 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax

Source

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 7:17 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ That's cool how the angle makes it look like the new tallest or 2nd tallest (whatever it ends up being) is part of the main downtown skyline.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 5:23 AM
Look at me!

More drone featuring canada's favourite bus maintenance depot.

SING0147 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

SING0139 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

SING0135 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

SING0134 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

SING0116 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

SING0111 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 2:26 PM
I am the law!

those giant modern era light industrial buildings get me every time.

Toronto pulling off some "borough" action.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 6:39 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Last edited by Coldrsx; Nov 19, 2023 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Ya that's because the contractor fucked up and poured the concrete at the wrong height and the new streetcars clearance was too low for it. That was pretty pathetic.That with the new streetcar barn came it in 50% over budget. That seems to be the way things go with publicly funded projects across this country. And they spend 105 million on that stretch of Leslie when all was said and done.
Contractor f's up and the City's on the hook. Sounds about right. Was it a "fixed price" PPP contact?

For the Montreal bus terminal, looks amazing. Price sounds like a bargain considering what they are getting.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 4:16 PM

First pic is the Ottawa side of Zibi and Tunney's Pasture/Mechanicsville in the background. Second pic is Quebec side of Zibi, with partial Hull skyline in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The new building on the Quebec side is 'Aalto 2'. Interesting...I would have thought 'O2', because it looks more like 'O' than Aalto. I think Aalto 2 might be the most architecturally meritless 21st century building in the NCR.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 4:28 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 5:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Intersection of Barrington and South in Halifax. You can see the Elmwood project foreground right. Buildings around Spring Garden Road are visible with downtown being off to the right:

Source

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 5:52 PM

I really like the landscaping along the water in that Ottawa picture - looking forward to more pictures as it nears completion. Interesting choice regarding colour of the boulders - nice touch.

Someone needs to photoshop a sea of supertalls on that mountain side in Banff, or encircling the whole thing like a precious egg in the middle.

Speaking of mountains and skylines - partial view of downtown from Victoria's western suburbs:

Source

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 7:14 PM

That last Halifax shot reminds me of Montreal, Atwater area with the density, the 70s towers and the hill in the background.

That Victoria shot, I feel like it's rare to see the mountains in the background, especially when they are that prominent. Gives me a denser Anchorage feel. Does Victoria have height restrictions?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada