HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Like last time? Ha
Ha ya..

Just hope the other candidates don't split the vote and let Motkaluk in.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 7:33 PM

Its Gillingham Murray and Motkaluk the rest are just nobody's or clowns to be frank. I think Murray will hurt Gillingham as the moderate favorite as he has far more name recognition. Motkaluk has a lot of political real estate free to herself this time round that might give her a decent shot as the right wing tough against crime and wokeism candidate.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:03 PM

Such great news to see him running. I really hope the city doesn't pass on this opportunity. I fear suburbanites outside of the old neighbourhoods will view him as an out of touch Torontonian.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:09 PM

Motkaluk was roads money and police, IIRC. And again IIRC her husband or something is in roads construction. In general conservative type nature.

Gillingham is endorsed by Browaty, so that's a no from me dog.

That leaves only one.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Such great news to see him running. I really hope the city doesn't pass on this opportunity. I fear suburbanites outside of the old neighbourhoods will view him as an out of touch Torontonian.
I've found already, the older crowd is negative towards Murray.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:22 PM
the first stamp is free

^ they always have been.

I remember being at my in-laws (in Charleswood) for some sort of neighbourhood get together when Murray was running in Charleswood for Liberals in the federal election after he had stepped down from being mayor. He of course lost to Steven Fletcher.

All the old guys at this party were joking - "we either vote for the fruit or the vegetable"

(insert Statler and Waldorf gif here)

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:29 PM

I didn't say it. But ya. It's either because he quit and/or is gay. How sad.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:30 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I've found already, the older crowd is negative.
fixed

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:30 PM

The main campaign items will be pot holes, bus shack vagrants/homelessness crisis and city safety. People may want transit issues addressed but I don't see it popping up as a suburban vote getter right now that wins an election knowing how soccer moms in st vital vote.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:44 PM

My prediction is that Murray blows the competition out of the water. There seems to be an ever increasing voice of urbanization not only in Winnipeg but around North America in general. I’ve never seen mainstream coverage of topics like sprawl and zoning quite like the last 2 years. The pandemic was able to provide us with a moment of reflection in thinking hmm maybe dedicating 95% of our infrastructure to cars does in fact create an unhealthy city.

He’s the most progressive, competent, and has the highest name recognition out of all the candidates. He’s going to talk circles around the other candidates when the debates start.

It’s not like this whole city is made up of 65+ year old white boomers. Winnipeg is a very diverse city with a decent population pyramid, and a lot of the problems we have would be fixed if we started prioritizing investment in the Downtown and the inner city again.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:49 PM

I can pretty well start tuning out the campaign, because it's frankly hard to imagine a scenario where anyone else will take my vote besides Murray.

He's going to have a bit of an uphill battle though, there is a bit of an Ignatieff-style "he didn't come back for you" attack already happening on social media from what I can see.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
My prediction is that Murray blows the competition out of the water. There seems to be an ever increasing voice of urbanization not only in Winnipeg but around North America in general. I’ve never seen mainstream coverage of topics like sprawl and zoning quite like the last 2 years. The pandemic was able to provide us with a moment of reflection in thinking hmm maybe dedicating 95% of our infrastructure to cars does in fact create an unhealthy city.

He’s the most progressive, competent, and has the highest name recognition out of all the candidates. He’s going to talk circles around the other candidates when the debates start.

It’s not like this whole city is made up of 65+ year old white boomers. Winnipeg is a very diverse city with a decent population pyramid, and a lot of the problems we have would be fixed if we started prioritizing investment in the Downtown and the inner city again.
I gather you were probably too young to remember Murray's first time around in office? You are going to absolutely love him... he is the perfect candidate for someone with your priorities. And probably for 95% of the people here. It's just the far right Browaty Motkaluk types and the woke far left defund police acab crowd that have no time for him.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:55 PM

I agree, Murray is easily and by far the most qualified, competent, and knowledgeable candidate. An outsider looking at the matter objectively would say he would make the best mayor by a long shot. However, my concern is that if the opposition can get soccer moms worked up about wokeness and bus shelters, and convince them this is a downtown vs suburbs race, the votes in the inner city and mature neighbourhoods might not be enough to counteract that. Angry soccer moms vote reliably and consistently. I'd actually like to see voter turnout data for the City by neighbourhood to see how the inner city stacks up against the suburbs.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 8:56 PM

Quote:
He's going to have a bit of an uphill battle though, there is a bit of an Ignatieff-style "he didn't come back for you" attack already happening on social media from what I can see.
100%. I'm already seeing the go back to Toronto posts.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 9:02 PM

Is Murray the all-time most loyal Winnipegger? Probably not. But personally I don't care. He accomplished arguably more than any other mayor in my lifetime during his 6 years in office. And more importantly, he changed the mindset of the city. As long as he's willing to commit to completing a term in office, then I have no qualms.

I mean, it's not like the Winnipeg Jets only consider coaching candidates who have spent their entire lives coaching in the North Kildonan minor hockey systems or whatever. It's a big world out there.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 9:07 PM

River Heights and Fort Rouge will go for Murray. St James and Tuxedo likely Gillingham North End likely Falcon Ouellette. Motkaluk likely Transcona. The rest of the city i don't know how the suburbs will play out.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Motkaluk was roads money and police, IIRC. And again IIRC her husband or something is in roads construction. In general conservative type nature.
Her husband is a partner in MNP's tax services group. He also ran for the Canadian Alliance in 2000. Nothing to do with construction.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 9:29 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
I can pretty well start tuning out the campaign, because it's frankly hard to imagine a scenario where anyone else will take my vote besides Murray.

an urbanist candidate no matter who he/she is would be bombarded by the right wing crowd on social media.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 9:29 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Is Murray the all-time most loyal Winnipegger?
i say he is....he actually escaped and voluntarily came back!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 11:04 PM

It's great that it's finally official regarding Murray. i don't live in the city but if I did he would receive my vote.

We are a pretty diverse city - probably a few hundred thousand indigenous, filippino, sihk, chinese, POC living within the city at this point. It would be interesting to get a read on how various minority groups and POC lean on urban issues and the political spectrum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan